This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeeyah View Post
    Dunks never had any effect. Multiple sticky traps brought my numbers down.
    Then somehow you did it wrong. The dunks, crumbled on the soil surface as the op said, and one floating in the water you use to water your plants, WORKS GREAT. And since there will always be some still flying (as it only kills the larvae), a sticky-trap or two IN ADDITION TO THE DUNK TREATMENT is a good plan for a faster kill rate.

All houseplants must get the same treatment too !

Comment

I had a terrible thrip problem in my soil grow and just keep a dunk in my watering tank and thrips are Done, black gnats are gone too! :-)

Comment

IDK.. I made the switch from Hydro back to soil & I have never had such a hard time w/ pests.. mostly these fuckers!
        Is it safe to say it's easier to rid them from hydro units than soil?
        I'm considering goin back ,after 10 yrs ,I thought I'd give the dirt a try Stupid me :(
        ....peace to all beings

Comment

Originally posted by sense of nature View Post
          IDK.. I made the switch from Hydro back to soil & I have never had such a hard time w/ pests.. mostly these fuckers!
          Is it safe to say it's easier to rid them from hydro units than soil?
          I'm considering goin back ,after 10 yrs ,I thought I'd give the dirt a try Stupid me :(
          Ditto!!!

Comment

Dunks...two in the tank and tossin crumbs around. Not sure if they helpin but ain't complaining homies. Peace
            Flied Lice

Comment

3% hydrogen peroxide (h202) deluted 4 to 1 kills the larva....yellow stickies/tape catch the adults.....just sayin

Comment

ok i have been fighting these little basters for weeks, there just getting worst, 2inches of sand on the top yellow sticky traps, 2 inches of sand , gognats (basically cedar oil with additives) and finally last but not least Duncks... dunks are my first choise, there off season here so it took me a bit to find them but i did...l its been around 3 weeks, it seems there went from the top of the soil to the bottom of the hole in the pots, after i put sand on them.... im about to start all over, this is a real debby downer.... im going to create small tourchering devices for the flys soon
                DIY Tumbler
                https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....79#post6208179

sigpic

Comment

try spreading diamceous earth on the ground under the pots. the scurrying little basterds can't handle it

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhoundaddy View Post
                    try spreading diamceous earth on the ground under the pots. the scurrying little basterds can't handle it
                    you know where i can get some of that the closest hydro store is an houre away
                    DIY Tumbler
                    https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....79#post6208179

sigpic

Comment

Sorry Lola, but dunks don't work. They only slow down the infestation. The time wasted messing around with dunks just prolongs the problem and reduces yield. Same thing with Gnatrol. You end up with a resistant gnat thats even harder to eradicate. What worked best for me was to spray the rootball directly with pyrethium (FoxFarm's Bug Be Gone). The plant pulls it up thru the roots for a systemic effect.

Death to the f'ing gnat hord!!
                      sigpic

Seed Buyers Beware! Don't waste your money on hype. If you have to buy multiple seed packs to find that "keeper", you're getting ripped off. Every female in a pack of seeds should be a keeper! We've been led to believe that lots of variation in a cross is a good thing, because some vendors would rather you buy several packs of their gear, instead of them actually doing the selections to fix that nag champa or golden clit trait themselves. For hobby growers, pheno hunting is fun. But mono-croppers who grow to pay the bills prefer a consistent product that regularly delivers the desired trait package.

Comment

Are u talking about this product? And you do a soil drench with it?

http://www.amazon.com/FoxFarm-FX1401...pr_product_top

Comment

I got the diamaceous earth at home depot. A little goes along way.
                          I have also used is on top of the soil. You just got to watch it packin down the soil.
                          Last edited by wolfhoundaddy; 02-12-2013, 05:30. Reason: needed to be edited

Comment

Originally posted by festivus View Post
                            The time wasted messing around with dunks just prolongs the problem and reduces yield. Same thing with Gnatrol.
                            BTI/Gnatrol has a negative effect on yield?

Comment

Fungus Gnats

Originally posted by indifferent View Post
                              I've been trying to get rid of gnats for ages, so i hope these dunks are available in the UK!
                              Have you tried Gnat Off?
                              Available on Ebay.

The Chronic Pain Club - a resource for us all!

My definition of an EXPERT; An 'EX' is a has-been & a 'SPURT' is a drip under pressure!

****************************** ****************************** ****************************** ***
                              All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small.
                              Lao Tzu

****************************** ****************************** ****************************** ***
                              No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Gnats

Originally posted by LolaGal View Post
                                The Dunks work great! They don't kill off the adults though! In about 3-4 weeks though, you won't see any more adults. It takes time to eradicate them.

The Dunks break the breeding cycle by killing off the grubs in the roots.

Adults can be zapped with a little pyrethrin spray in the air. Also yellow sticky fly paper is good to catch adults.

But ONLY using dunks, my grow was fungus gnat free in 3-4 weeks. AND it has stayed FREE of gnats for a year, by adding a little dunk to new soil as it is brought in.

DIE FUNGUS GNATS DIE!
                                Yellow sticky fly papers are so cheap and so effective. You should have a couple hanging in your growroom at all times! That way you can see what's coming in to your growroom and respond accordingly. Great thread LolaGal.
                                Stay safe

The Chronic Pain Club - a resource for us all!

My definition of an EXPERT; An 'EX' is a has-been & a 'SPURT' is a drip under pressure!

All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small.
                                Lao Tzu

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Working...
                                X