What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Post your freaks and mutants

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Be sure and save the gall so we can get it looked at by an agricutural lab or even test the DNA to try and find what caused this, incase Dr John can not help. We will get to the bottom of this, I for one will find a way to determine exactly what caused this gall, I suspect a virus.
-SamS

thank you sam
Lrus007

Lrus007

Veteran
a few things before i forget lol
used sharp ceramic kitchen knife to cut it
in 1/2. was very hard to cut. like cutting thru
solid stem. with loop looked like stem no voids.
size was about size of a grape. is getting smaller
now that is cut in 1/2 and drying. as drying might
make some voids looking at it just now. shrom is
the strain. had it since like 2004 or so. this is the
1st time i have seen something like this. hope this helps
in some way. is def getting smaller. no changes in grow
room ect. is indoor not outdoor.
Lrus007

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Very interesting.
Also cool that Sam, who co-authored THE book on cannabis diseases and pests is responding to you and has never seen such things.

So cool to discover something that science has yet to heavily document.
This is where that magic of icmag shines.

Breadwizard

Not a very uncommon one, but here's some leaf variegation on a Solar Wind seedling from norstar.

[Urkle x Chernobyl] x Purple Mayhem (by gooey breeder)
picture.php

Lrus007

Veteran
i think it was a oddity. most likely never see it again.
lucky i noticed it. when trimming i am racing myself.
Lrus007

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Dr John replied: bacterium, Agrobacterium tumefaciens?
I have asked him if we can send him a piece of the gall to be examined to confirm Agrobacterium tumefaciens? The faster the better as it will be easier if not completely dead and dried out? Are you willing to do this? A gall is not any more illegal than a Cannabis stem which is legal in the USA. Let me know what you think.

-SamS

i think it was a oddity. most likely never see it again.
lucky i noticed it. when trimming i am racing myself.
Lrus007

Lrus007

Veteran
yes i can but not right away sadly.
fuel pump went out on my car today.
i am not able to get anywhere right now.
will look how many stamps a padded
envelope takes. what zone is it ? i am in
washington state.
thanks Lrus007

beta

Veteran
A question for the folks in this thread that came up somewhere else.

Are freaks worth running / keeping, or should they be culled immediately?

I've always grown out every single seed I've popped. In all my days I've never once found the runt / freak / mutant to be a keeper. I've always heard people say they can be the best, but that's never been my experience. In fact, I don't know of anyone who ended up keeping a freak / mutant long term.

Have any of you actually kept a freak / mutant in your stable long term, or are they worthless the vast majority of the time?

St. Phatty

Have any of you actually kept a freak / mutant in your stable long term, or are they worthless the vast majority of the time?

Mostly they just waste your time, and make you think wierd thoughts like, "if it turns out to be a male, maybe I'll make some seeds" = more wasted time.

(Does this mean it's a good time to get wasted ? :woohoo: )

The 6 month old 1 inch high plant I've been watching ... one of the chickens ate its center stem.

Now it's having 2 more normal looking shoots.

And it's maybe 2 inches tall.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
They're only worth your time if you're breeding in my opinion, if only to tell you which ascension to avoid/check for heterozygosity. Long term, nothing really helpful about disfigured plants

therevverend

Veteran
Are freaks worth running / keeping, or should they be culled immediately?

Usually they should be culled, waste of time and space nursing an unhealthy plant. A lot of them are harmless, some are markers of certain strains that can be used to identify them. I have a Grape Ape strain that shows variagation sometimes, if you give it lots of phosphorus and magnesium it usually goes away. It may happen because the plant is growing so fast in Veg, it starts 'cheating' while forming leaves.

Here's a picture of a 5 Gs Blue with a perfect leaf within a leaf.

picture.php

picture.php

I think Blue strains win the award for most weird mutations. Some of them are harmless like the double leafing, others are serious problems like dampening off syndrome.

beta

Veteran
I bet you're on to something there, and I suspect it's related to DJ Short's known propensity for inbreeding many MANY generations.

St. Phatty

attachment.php

Here's Mini-he or Mini-She.

About 6 months old.

The center stem was eaten by a pet bird. The 2 new branches look a little like they're escaping from the dwarf-ism ... well maybe not really.

They're small but they look normal.

She sits in the sun all day, so the soil gets wetted once a day - partially in case I miss a day.

And she has spider mites, so she'll get a dilute spray for that some morning soon.

In case heat is the thing stopping her, she is back in a shady spot - elevated. The first time I put her in a shady spot, it was on the ground, which is when the bird ate her center stem.

Attachments

• IMG_20190704_074841_+__.jpg
    IMG_20190704_074841_+__.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 16