What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is there a way to clone autoflower plants?

billyblog

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey folk,

Wondering if there's a way to clone autoflower plants as I'm guessing if they're auto, then you're not going to be able to keep the plant from flowering as you're attempting to clone it. Am I guessing right? Is there a way?

thanks,

billy

TheDarkStorm

Ive tried it billy....they do actually take root...but what usually happens is by the time they have rooted and are uptaking through those roots the plants usually aged enough that they start flowering....so you normally end up with a tiny plant when fished with a very low yeild vs a auto done from seed....so its not really worth the effort.....when you can just get a batch of regular auto seeds and make your own vs making cuttings from autos from the results you get is not really worth it. Hope that helps some.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
harvest some, but not all. Don't let it die. Keep it alive. Eventually, she'll reveg. Cut, root, and plant.

This is my reveged auto. The white you see on the leaf is pollen.
picture.php

I don't know what kind of plant you get though.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Tycho have you succeeded revegging other autoflower strains besides that LSD-25 plant?

I learned awhile ago plants can be pollinated in veg and will produce seeds under veg light cycle, I read a post somewhere about someone pollinating the lowers of an auto after harvesting and it lived long enough to produce healthy seeds still. I wonder if the pollinating has something to do with delaying senescence? :alien:

At RIU forum a grower named hydrokid239 removed a couple lower branches from an autoflower seedling around 4 weeks from sprout (before showing pistils) and rooted them. Seedling was transplanted couple times and finished in 5 gal cloth pot of Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil yielding 132 grams. After rooting clone planted into 2 gallon cloth pot only filled halfway with Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil yielded 82 grams!

Ive always liked the idea of rooting undergrowth from outdoor plants but (most) photoperiod strains cant finish in my area due to long season/wet weather. I want to try rooting some autoflower lower branches though.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I wish I had enough room to play and experiment more. I have always been told that auto clones "remember" where they are in their growth cycle. So a clone would flower when the mother would. One of the reasons why"you can't clone an auto".

I suspect the seeds from the plant pollinated in veg was a result of errant pollen left over and circulating in the tent. You absolutely need flower to pollinate. This should actually be a warning that rooms and tents should be well cleaned between runs.

Latest posts

Latest posts