What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

150w HPS Club and Resource Guide......

OrgAeroMan

Veteran
Nice, great strain selection. Did you get a skunky skunk #1 or fruity? I miss the old, straight skunk piss smells. I guess they are getting harder to track down now.

Panconqueso

Veteran
Harvest time

Attachments

• DSC_3492.jpg
    DSC_3492.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_3502.jpg
    DSC_3502.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC_3516.jpg
    DSC_3516.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Harvest group.jpg
    Harvest group.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I was cleaning out some old junk making room for new junk and I found this. It was my first "real" HID light. My buddy gave it to me. I was only using small fluoros and screw in CFLs.
picture.php
picture.php

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I have a 150w choke in my scrap pile. I should have a number of new (internal ignitor) lamps for it somewhere to. Certainly a lamp holder. So if anyone local wants it I can put it out in a box somewhere. Postage will cost me too much. It's sat about for years so It's not going anywhere. Same story with a 250 a 400 and a 600 or even quite a few.

Actually I might post the 150 but would need a diary post in return :)

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
Just a little bump to keep the thread active.

Still running the 150. I gave some serious thought to the new LEDs, but I’m just not convinced that there is much to gain for my method of growing. Besides the cabinet now lives in an unheated garage and the ballast and light combo is my heat source in cold weather. If I went LED I’d either have to put in supplemental heat and foot the electric bill, or only grow in warm weather. I’ve been growing this way for many, many, years so why fuck with something that works well and is fairly simple?

Stay safe and healthy people.

😎

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Thing is, a 150 gives 100 lumen per watt, while a top HID offers 150 lumen per watt. That 150 lumen is seen as 1.7umol/j so you wouldn't be far off ballparking the 150w light at 1.2umol/j

Now that thrashes the 0.65umol/j measured from the worst of the smart cobs. However 100w of (14w=100w) household lamps will offer about as much PAR light and while messy, there are gains in even coverage that amount to a great deal. This spelled the end for us 150 growers.

I still have mine but even my local shop just hangs LED's now. It's nice to see them used still but perhaps burning 150w of household lamps will give you about as much heat (though directly into the air not radiant heat that warms what it falls upon) while giving a 50% increase in ppfd. Bud is just air and light (and maybe 10% food) so that might be good reason to change, or might be just a pointless learning curve as you are happy.

I'm happy to give mine away to see it used again, but I can't imagine anybody setting up with a 150 now.

I don't like to be down on them, but in the back of my mind, burning 150w for 100w of light just isn't helping anybody.

Three Berries

I still use two 150 w HPS now when it's cold, They are flanked by two 100w LEDs. Summer time I go down to one 150w HPS and add a couple 50w LED FS cobs.

sugabear_II

Veteran
Hey Sugar Bear, long time no see! :wave:

Yeah, it has been way too long, I missed y'all.

My friend ended up running my 150 watt cabinets up for a while for veg in a bloom room up until just a few years ago. When he told me he tossed it I was a little sad but that is the way things go and life moves forward.

What has been going on with you?

OrgAeroMan

Veteran
I also switched to L.E.D.. I had a good long run with hps, but once LEDs started outperforming them with less heat and watts, my inner cheapskate got over the initial investment.

Other than that, just living the dream:)

sugabear_II

Veteran
I feel the cheapskate thing, when I can pick up blueberry headband buds for under $10/gr, live resin for $25/gr or cannabis terped d8 distillate for $2.50/gr, I see little reason to grow outside a desire to run some long flowering strain.

Three Berries

I had to throw in the towel on the two 150w HPS. Can't keep the humidity up enough for the heat. Switched in another 100W LED. I need a closet tent to put in this closet grow room to better isolate the environment.

Panconqueso

Veteran
Hello everyone! again, welkome back sugabear

I also switched to led recently.

I had to throw in the towel on the two 150w HPS. Can't keep the humidity up enough for the heat. Switched in another 100W LED. I need a closet tent to put in this closet grow room to better isolate the environment.

something similar happened to me when changed from magnetic ballast to an electric one, wich increased the room temperature since the ligh bulb produced way more heat than it does with the magnetic one.

Unfortunately the increase in room temperature made it impossible for me to continue with the hps given the small grow space that i work with. I'm very happy with my new 150w LED QB tho

Cheers

sugabear_II

Veteran
That is crazy to hear that the electronic ballast pushed the heat to the bulb, sticking the ballast outside the grow cabinet was always a big plus for heatcontrol.

What size is your setup panco?

Panconqueso

Veteran
That is crazy to hear that the electronic ballast pushed the heat to the bulb, sticking the ballast outside the grow cabinet was always a big plus for heatcontrol.

What size is your setup panco?

Hey suga

i have a mini closet 40cm deep x 40cm wide x 60cm high (15.7 x 15.7 x 23.6 inches), passive intake and active extraction (4 inches) so not much room to maneuver

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
Had a rough coughing spell yesterday after hitting the vape a bit too hard and long.
The wife yells in from the other room to ask if I was OK.
I replied, yeah I think so, it’s just “omichronic”.
she didn’t think it was funny.

Happy New Year to All, PD

Last edited:

Three Berries

Well it looks like my 'Potassium/Calcium/Magnesium' deficiency problems are really tooo much LED. I had almost 500w for a while, went down to 300w and still to much. Finally broke out my LUX meter and with the two 100w LEDs at the ceiling of the tent I was still getting near 300k LUX at the plant tops. 😵

So I put one 150W HPS and one 100w LED as high as they go an I'm around 200k at the plant tops. probably go to both 150w HPS for winter time now, save the LEDs for summer.

Latest posts

Latest posts