calcium in tissue analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

calcium in tissue analysis

I see alot of talk about getting Ca to 85% base saturation to maximise uptake. How high do I want the Ca to get in plant tissue analysis though?

I see some people talk about 8-10%? Is this the number I am shooting for in all crops? herb, peppers, tomatoes etc. If not than what is?

Reg

this study suggests up to 4% calcium in herb. an interesting read

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...annabis_sativa

Comment

Originally posted by reghatesschwag View Post
      I see alot of talk about getting Ca to 85% base saturation to maximise uptake. How high do I want the Ca to get in plant tissue analysis though?

I see some people talk about 8-10%? Is this the number I am shooting for in all crops? herb, peppers, tomatoes etc. If not than what is?

Reg
      https://www.growingproduce.com/fruit...-or-snake-oil/

This reference is to blueberries but plant tissue analysis in cannabis can be misleading.

Growers often apply foliar calcium even when soil and tissue analyses indicate levels are sufficient. This is because sufficiency in soil and leaf tissues does not necessarily indicate that fruit calcium levels are sufficient for a given blueberry cultivar and/or production setting.

Comment

The sufficiency range for calcium in cannabis is 1.47 - 4.42%. There's a good read on cannabis sufficiency ranges here https://manicbotanix.com/cannabis-nu...rop-nutrition/
        Last edited by BongFu; 11-14-2020, 20:43.

Comment

We normally see 6 to 10% in the leaves when running 85% Ca+

Has a lot to do with the rest of the feeds, dry downs and getting enough micros in and at the right proportion.

Glad to hear you are "hearing alot about 85% Ca"!!
          OH IF A MAN TRIED
          TO TAKE HIS TIME ON EARTH
          AND PROVE WHAT A MAN IS WORTH
          I WONDER WHAT WOULD HAPPEN
          TO THIS WORLD

-Harry Forster Chapins' Tombstone

Comment

Was it Spectrum who will run cannabis analysis if labeled basil or something?

I'm having a hell of a time cloning and I am speculating it goes back to discussions about having enough calcium to ride out any efforts to senesce before rooting or seeing a surge in Ca before cambium begins to create new xylem/phloem/root mass.
            Tell the people you love that you love them.

Comment

Originally posted by bsgospel View Post
              Was it Spectrum who will run cannabis analysis if labeled basil or something?

I'm having a hell of a time cloning and I am speculating it goes back to discussions about having enough calcium to ride out any efforts to senesce before rooting or seeing a surge in Ca before cambium begins to create new xylem/phloem/root mass.
              Logan. Dry til crispy yet green. Grind the sample in your hands,take out the majority of the vein and send them half a baggy. Call in comfrey. haha

Spectrum is where we do the soil and media analysis.
              OH IF A MAN TRIED
              TO THIS WORLD

Comment

And Spectrum still honors the K3 package for soil? Or was that Logan as well?

Thank you!
                Tell the people you love that you love them.

Comment

K 3 is for a dried, sifted medium at Spectrum.
                  OH IF A MAN TRIED
                  TO THIS WORLD

Comment

Originally posted by slownickel View Post

Has a lot to do with the rest of the feeds, dry downs and getting enough micros in and at the right proportion.

Interesting. Have you got any cannabis tissue analysis results to demonstrate this inline to other nutrients also?

Comment

thank you for replying slownickel. what number do you like to see phosphorus at in the leaves?

it has been my experience with various vegetables that getting P into the .6 - .8 % range can induce a iron deficiency - this is with 2-3% calcium levels. does getting calcium higher like you suggest help to tie up some of the P so it doesn't then tie up the iron?

Reg

Comment

Tagged
                        When as men, our only guide to right and wrong is the ability or inability to act, we cannot truly call ourselves men.

Copyrights on all photographic work are reserved

Comment

Originally posted by reghatesschwag View Post
                          thank you for replying slownickel. what number do you like to see phosphorus at in the leaves?

it has been my experience with various vegetables that getting P into the .6 - .8 % range can induce a iron deficiency - this is with 2-3% calcium levels. does getting calcium higher like you suggest help to tie up some of the P so it doesn't then tie up the iron?

Reg

Why would you want to "tie up" P with excess Ca when simply by reducing P and running other nutrients within optimal ranges and ratios you don't encounter locking up Fe. Sufficiency range for P is 0.31 - 0.44%. By the way, re nutrients, more does not equate to more yield. Nutrients are not plant food - plants produce their own food via light energy and photosynthesis (sugars and carbohydrates). It's not as if by force feeding (overfeeding) a plant nutrients you make it fatter. 6 to 10% Ca in the leaf tissue is ridiculous although as an immobile nutrient you do see it buildup quite high in many cases towards the end of flower. This though has no bearing on yield - in fact it only serves to lock out predominantly K. As a tip go read up some information on tissue analysis and crop nutrition on university sites and perhaps avoid taking onboard info from someone on a forum who clearly has limited understanding of the subject.
                          Last edited by BongFu; 12-07-2020, 21:59.

Comment

blank
                            Last edited by slownickel; 12-13-2020, 00:50.
                            OH IF A MAN TRIED
                            TO THIS WORLD

Comment

View Image View Image

Note all the tied up metals.
                              Where are the tissue samples being taken from and at which weeks? Certainly I've seen Ca this high in older tissue. And what is the point that you see in loading Ca so high in the tissue? Also what ppm of each nutrient are you running to achieve these results? There is very little point posting tissue results without talking fertilization practices that led to these results. I'll attach a side by side water/nutrient analysis with tissue showing upper end or even excess of micros at 0.715% P. So in fact I am a little surprised that the poster has put low Fe down to P and I expect something else may be the problem. But I am extremely perplexed by why you consider insane amounts of Ca optimal when experts have defined sufficiency ranges while you seem to consider these ranges incorrect re Ca.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by BongFu; 12-08-2020, 01:33.

Comment

Working...
                              X