What's new

Is it time to take it down and smoke it?

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I don't understand the desire to get away with a small size soil container. In my 4 x 4 tent I allocate 2 x 2 to each of 4 plants. The plants are in 10gallon bags because that is as heavy as I want to bend over and heft. The soil is wet and heavy. The bags sit on a SIP bed of perlite and vermeculite. Roots go through the bags and extend into the bed until they hit water. The floor space is used for the SIP bed, and in the big tent the control bucket for automatic watering. Why waste it with small pots?

The stems on all the plants are about 1" diameter. I would like to get the stems larger, but I think the root volume dictates that.

If we could determine the average stem diameter vs media volume, for the various methods (as well as in/out), that would be cool.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
We are not growing stems?
I can do a bar in 1 Liter, but commercially 10 gallon in your space should be doing 3 bars as a baseline 'acceptable' yield. So with your 40 gallons, what are you pulling?

I thought using too much was wasteful. I'm leaning much more towards recycling.
How about a thread on the subject. Rather than derail this one

With 4 weeks left, it might be an idea to light it a bit. Maybe get it just below the window, where you can add an E27 lamp. Just one will light a 200mm circle. That's quite a boost to the sunlight, and will ensure some weight on your main bud.

Growenhaft

fe;n17876250Die Wurzeln neigen dazu said:
das erweckt den Eindruck, dass unsere Anlage ziemlich dumm ist. aber es ist nicht. denn das ist einfach falsch. die wurzeln unserer pflanzen suchen gezielt nach wasser und auch nach nährstoffen.

Nur deshalb können unsere Pflanzen sehr flexibel auf schwankende Nährstoffzufuhr reagieren. sie wachsen nicht zufällig, sondern gezielt nach Ihren Bedürfnissen. der Wurzelschnitt durch Luft und Licht in Stofftöpfen und Airpots, sowie die Ecken des quadratischen Topfes, die die gleiche Wirkung haben, beschleunigen diesen Vorgang nur ... um schneller blühen zu können.

klick

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
We are not growing stems?
I can do a bar in 1 Liter, but commercially 10 gallon in your space should be doing 3 bars as a baseline 'acceptable' yield. So with your 40 gallons, what are you pulling?

I thought using too much was wasteful. I'm leaning much more towards recycling.
How about a thread on the subject. Rather than derail this one

What's a "bar" besides one atmosphere? And who says my deal is commercial? So far, on my first run with a lot of early root damage, pulled early.... only 400 gr/meter. That is improving as I learn, and I anticipate more with the next pull with the midgets and misfits. The second run will be even better. Soil guys want 15 gallon minimum, but that is getting to be a heavy bag of soil.

Derailing this thread is not what my post is doing. She has a bunch of time left, so we can occupy that time discussing what can be improved. Her and I started our seeds about the same time, and mine are still finishing in the "big tent" for another few weeks.

BTW, I recycle my soil, and am making much much more in my compost operation. The stuff from the last run is still growing the worms that were in the bags.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
das erweckt den Eindruck, dass unsere Anlage ziemlich dumm ist. aber es ist nicht. denn das ist einfach falsch. die wurzeln unserer pflanzen suchen gezielt nach wasser und auch nach nährstoffen.

Nur deshalb können unsere Pflanzen sehr flexibel auf schwankende Nährstoffzufuhr reagieren. sie wachsen nicht zufällig, sondern gezielt nach Ihren Bedürfnissen. der Wurzelschnitt durch Luft und Licht in Stofftöpfen und Airpots, sowie die Ecken des quadratischen Topfes, die die gleiche Wirkung haben, beschleunigen diesen Vorgang nur ... um schneller blühen zu können.

klick

Nursery grown tree's have been known to fall over, many years after planting in the ground. These trees have often doubled in size before they fall. The reason is they didn't root out of that shape. They learn that circling works as a sapling, then carry on into later life. Air pruning stops this. Traditionally the root ball would of been chopped and pulled apart at planting, but such arts are often lost.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Nursery grown tree's have been known to fall over, many years after planting in the ground. These trees have often doubled in size before they fall. The reason is they didn't root out of that shape. They learn that circling works as a sapling, then carry on into later life. Air pruning stops this. Traditionally the root ball would of been chopped and pulled apart at planting, but such arts are often lost.

Yup!

3 types of roots:
  • tap - anchors the tree. They can be quite substantial depending on species
  • lateral - supports the tree laterally
  • capillaries - fine feeder roots that feed the tree

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Yup!

3 types of roots:
  • tap - anchors the tree. They can be quite substantial depending on species
  • lateral - supports the tree laterally

[*]capillaries - fine feeder roots that feed the tree

Those are probably what the "water roots" that go through my bags into the SIP bed are. It doesn't seen to hurt them when the bag is moved. I stopped trying to cut them off or anything. They make a hella mess with the wick media they cling to though.

Growenhaft

well, what would you like to talk about?

Outdoor or indoor ... over trees or therophytes?

Please do not conclude from your example that this has to be the case with all plants. No, even with trees in tree nurseries, this is rather a rarity, while most other trees have a completely healthy root system. one that specifically searches for water and nutrients.

That's my statement .. yours is that cannabis roots grow randomly in the bottom of the pot.

but look at the roots in pots where the plant was kept too wet. you will see that most of the root activity takes place in the or half of the pot. because oxygen is also one of the nutrients and is rarely found in the permanently wet pot floor.

Cvh

Supermod
Free ☕
I do remember the first time I had grown Lowryder 2.
I remember really liking the effects of it.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
well, what would you like to talk about?

Outdoor or indoor ... over trees or therophytes?

Please do not conclude from your example that this has to be the case with all plants. No, even with trees in tree nurseries, this is rather a rarity, while most other trees have a completely healthy root system. one that specifically searches for water and nutrients.

That's my statement .. yours is that cannabis roots grow randomly in the bottom of the pot.

but look at the roots in pots where the plant was kept too wet. you will see that most of the root activity takes place in the or half of the pot. because oxygen is also one of the nutrients and is rarely found in the permanently wet pot floor.

Random? No they have a game plan. One best interrupted. They will come up eventually, but it's better to speed that along, before they start needlessly circling the pot, doing damage.

There are many different types of container who's only aim is to stop them circling. Planting methods to stop them. People that don't believe..

Growenhaft

the supermod wants to stay on the topic.

don't like lowryder that much ... and that although its roots do not revolve in a suitable pot. the only pot shapes that make this possible are round pots with a strong downward taper.
with all other types of pots there will be no circles with cannabis.

I have linked you to a highly scientific report. which exactly confirms my statement.

and switcher ... cannabis has no roots to support the trunk. cannabis doesn't need its tap root once. what do you think this could be?

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Sprouts have ONLY a tap root. I broke one when I pulled up the "?" in my first run, I could feel it snap, and see it was broken.

It is a very good plant now. Also, when I up-pot I always find the roots in a circle around the inside of the pots. Starts in the Dixie cups.

I am trying to fully finish my first plant. It is the Runtz rabbit, and here two almost weeks after I pulled half, it is still not showing darkened trics on what is left. It is the last of the plants I hurt with a foliar feed. The others in the tent are at week 6, and still have white pistals.

Nothing has changed on this plant in over a week.

DSC00689.JPG

As for pot size, roots make fruits I have been told. Here is the stem on the SB in my 2nd run, 10 gallon pot, 5 weeks in flower. They all get about an inch diameter.

DSC00688.JPG

Last edited:

Cuddles

Just remembered something last night about grow pots. I sort of recall a thread by Gypsy (??) about a (balcony?) grow and in the thread it was mentioned that weed needs / prefers deep pots and that the width of the grow pot is not necessarily all that important.
I´ve been checking the forum for about an hour now so I can put a link here for everyone but I just find the post :(

chilliwilli

Waterboy
When u look at the big multi pound plants they grow in ~1 foot deep fabric pots. Iirc u don't need more than a foot depth for the root system.

u can hit the search engine to look for threads a member started or at the profile page of that member

Cuddles

When u look at the big multi pound plants they grow in ~1 foot deep fabric pots. Iirc u don't need more than a foot depth for the root system.

u can hit the search engine to look for threads a member started or at the profile page of that member

I did search but just can´t find the post...