What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bubba Kush S1s: Info and grow-along

draztik

Veteran
Read through the thread again VG. The cheesey pheno sounds promising. I could only imagine what the smell is like. Pre-98 to me is some of the best smelling cannabis in the world. I like the smell of haze, chems and sour d but theres something about that bubba, I'm addicted. When I use to have her I remember when you touch her in flower and smell your fingers right away she has a certain odor, then when you rub your fingers together it develops into that beautiful earthy kush smell. She is devine.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hopefully, VG has a stellar Bubba Bx1 coming soon as well, not just a fem S1 - fingers crossed for ya!!

dank.Frank

hey frank :tiphat:, thanks for stopping by, yes i would like to make a bubba 'line' of seeds at some point, but i also think that the S1 route is actually the superior way of getting the bubba cut in seed form - because it is so true-breeding. granted there are limitations with all female seeds as further reversal is required to make more seeds, but those who just cant get the cut and want the closest seed representation would prefer an S1 im sure - i certainly would.

cheers,

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
pizzaman, thanks!

drastik, im totally with you on your opinions about the pre-98 bubba, i find it just so satisfying to smoke. im not sure what that incence/essential oil type smell is on the bubba - its almost a patchouli or vetiver type smell and taste. kind of one you sense in the front of your nose...
im gonna have my first smoke on the cheesey pheno later

VG

dutchy

super ultra dank show VG respect all the way!!!...good show, good knowledge, good genetix and killa pics!!!....
my mom of the VG/pre98bk.s1 is doing good also and smells already delicious like sweet coffe in veg and of course she looks like real bubba kush...
thank u so much VG these little beans are like little diamonds for me, cant wait to flower my s1.cuts....

peace...

The Hummus Monk

Veteran
Ok VG...got 2 in to soak..a few q's

Top or untopped?
Minimum veg period?
Nute hog?
Avg flower time?

Also what's your preferred germination method?

Ta very much!

;)

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dutchy, thanks, its been a pleasure! - great to have you along for the grow show and good luck with your bubba's - keep us posted!

HM,
i dont top bubba as its not the fastest vegger, if you do want to bush it out then LST would be the way to go. i just flowered them sog style and took cuts, so as i can scrog my favorite pheno.

i would say you want to veg for a couple of weeks at least

they can take a reasonable amount of nutes, but the main thing is to repot in time if you are in soil as they stop groing and yellow as soon as the roots get slightly congested.

flower time - 8-9 weeks. they look ready at 6-7 but i would wait at least 8.

germ method - soak for a few hours, put in soil about 1cm deep or a little deeper. wait. dont let them dry out! (ibe lost seeds from them drying out but NEVER from them being too wet)

good luck

VG

Top or untopped?
Minimum veg period?
Nute hog?
Avg flower time?

Ta very much!

;)

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
VerdantGreen, I agree 100% with everything you have said about the Bubba cut, but there is still one question I would like to ask. As you stated, Bubba looks finished very early. What is the difference in potency say from taking her down at seven weeks or going longer to 8? Also, I have noticed there does not seem to be any negligable growth betweeen week 7 to 8. Do you notice any? Thank you very much for your help!

TGT

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
SMOKE-ONE, thanks, hopefully they will be ready on schedule in about 6 weeks!

TGT - people think that the resin 'matures' in the last week, and although it diesnt appear to grow, it may well put on weight.

the last one i did for 10 weeks and got a high yield off it.. but the smell had probably gone a little past its best.

i would say the ideal window is 8-9 weeks, it probably gets a bit more 'sleepy' the longer you leave it.
all down to personal taste really.

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
just a quick update on the smoking quality of the S1s i grew.

the cheesy pheno is great, the bubba funk wins over as you break it up but it definitely has a cheese taste to it as well as the usual bubba (like the UK cheese cut)
its very potent, just as potent as bubba and maybe more.

ive also tried plant 2 which seems very close to the original cut. yet to try plant 4.

more details soon....

VG

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Hi VG,

Would you say that some of the S1's are showing more vigour than the original clone Mum ?

I have a strange theory that they well may, would be very interested in your opinion...

:tiphat:

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
just a quick update on the smoking quality of the S1s i grew.

the cheesy pheno is great, the bubba funk wins over as you break it up but it definitely has a cheese taste to it as well as the usual bubba (like the UK cheese cut)
its very potent, just as potent as bubba and maybe more.

ive also tried plant 2 which seems very close to the original cut. yet to try plant 4.

more details soon....

VG
:woohoo:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol, cheers b00m

CC, it would be hard to say about t the vigor without running them as cuts rather than seed plants. they certainly didnt seem that slow. bubba itself is slow but there are things you can do to help it along...

VG

Dutchy, thanks, its been a pleasure! - great to have you along for the grow show and good luck with your bubba's - keep us posted!

HM,
i dont top bubba as its not the fastest vegger, if you do want to bush it out then LST would be the way to go. i just flowered them sog style and took cuts, so as i can scrog my favorite pheno.

i would say you want to veg for a couple of weeks at least

they can take a reasonable amount of nutes, but the main thing is to repot in time if you are in soil as they stop groing and yellow as soon as the roots get slightly congested.

flower time - 8-9 weeks. they look ready at 6-7 but i would wait at least 8.

germ method - soak for a few hours, put in soil about 1cm deep or a little deeper. wait. dont let them dry out! (ibe lost seeds from them drying out but NEVER from them being too wet)

good luck

VG

I respectfully disagree about not topping the bubba. She really needs to be topped for her to get nice and bushy. Top her late in veg, like a week or two before flower...I'm used to growing her in 3's so she needed a longer veg in my set up.

Top or untopped?
Minimum veg period?
Nute hog?
Avg flower time?

Ta very much!

;)

I'm not VG but have a fair bit of experience with the pre98, hope you don't mind my opinions as well.

1) Topped for sure
2) Long veg as she has super minimal stretch
3) Moderately high feeder, can take a higher ppm than she needs
4) 10 weeks is the standard flower time for pre98, i've experimented with 9-11 weeks and 10 is perfect...I like my herb on the well done side of things though.

The Hummus Monk

Veteran
Ta very much...will play it by ear,,,see what she tells me to do! As a rule I tend to like topping my plants once or twice...

All advice is welcome.

:)

whiteberrieS

brains1ck
Veteran
DANNNNNG. Went down right after we were talking about it, too. Not like I even knew til today but had I known and not been a broke bastard I'd be poppin em right now. :bashhead:

whiteberrieS

brains1ck
Veteran
& about the taste it's some coffee candy kush that cant help but bring a shit-eatin grin to your face? just a guess. that's how it went down in '03-'04