What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Zamal Hash - first indoor grow

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
After three days of 12/12.

Young Zamal Hash loves to grow and puts the light to good use. Here's a view on the lights and plants.

The yellowing I mentioned is only slight and mostly noticable on ZH, Cognition also has some but less.
It's probably because of my feed mix, will start using only BioBizz Bloom in light concentrations soon.

The humidity is slightly high for now, trying to keep it around 60% but it wants to be around 70.
Temperature is between 20-24, sometimes drops to 18°C.
:tiphat:

Hi Koodense,

They look great in early flowering. :)

Zamal Hash prefers good levels of nutrients to produce high yields, you can increase the feeding now in the first weeks of flowering with (both) BioGrow and BioBloom, they are not strong fertilizers and i'm sure your that Zamal Hash would love it.

Koondense

Veteran
Hey Dubi,
thanks for the advice on nutrition.

After 9 days 12/12 the big plants are flowering nicely, the small ones not so much as they're still young.
I guess they will be getting some feed the next flowering, ZH clone seems to need a bit of N, the ZH from seed had a nasty light burn caused by one of lights sliding too close to the plant. It's minor damage on the top fan leaf, nothing serious.
The amount of flower sites is impressive for this stage and I can't wait to spread the big plants a bit more and give away the Amnesias.

Zamal Hash clone flowers(maybe too yellow?)
picture.php

Small Kali China male(I think), will probably pollinate the other girls, just a tiny bit.
picture.php

Koondense

Veteran
After the first feed with BioBloom+BioGrow all plants are looking great, maybe even a little better than before.

Zamal Hash clone
picture.php

Zamal Hash - Bunny top
picture.php

Tropical Seeds Cognition
picture.php

Cheers

konopenko

Veteran
Lovely plants bro! ZH is streching nicely at 12. day right? So she has maybe good week or two left..have you planned any foliar feeding, it would benefit imo ;)

Koondense

Veteran
@kono
I hope to have enough headroom for her and the lights, if the stretch goes on for a week there will be no problem I guess.
Foliar feed you say? I was thinking of it but don't see lack of nutrient uptake, so maybe I'll give them some just for an experiment. You think Biobizz Bloom is good for foliar? I'll go check the infos...

@JohnLoque
I remember the mother of the ZH clone did not look pale to me, not even at the end but she had way less light hours and so this may play a role in leaf color and new growth development.
The ZH from seed is not so pale and has enough N into the new leaves, judging from their color.

Meanwhile yesterday I was away and today I found a male nanner on the ZH from seed. It is pretty well developed and I'm surprised I didn't find it before.
It's located on the stem/branch where first preflowers grow. It's still on the plant and will be taken down soon, the plant will be fully inspected for possibility of more nanners, but I feel there won't be any.

Today I'll prune the plants a bit and take some clones of all except the KC male.

Dubi, any suggestions on how to handle possible hermaphrodism of ZH?

I've heard that zamal landrace is quite a lot hermie. When Female Seeds, a dutch breeder wanted to make a cross with zamal, they said that zamal seeds were half hermy, 1/4 male and 1/4 female, so they did not keep zamal genetic. I hope it's not true ! I've never been to la reunion, i'm happy to have some zamal genes in my tent, and i will watch out.

Koondense

Veteran
Heard the same thing although this cut used in ZH was Gerrit's which shows no significant hermaphrodism.
After a fast inspection I couldn't find any more nanners so I assume it was a minor mutation, maybe because of stress related to temperature shifts.
Sincerely I don't care about a single nanner, it's a very easy thing to fix and has no consequences for the later plant development.
In fact I find it interesting to see such mutations in plants, it surely made the plant more interesting and intriguing:)

Last update of 2015

Temperatures are good between 23-25 during day and 19-20 at night, could be a bit higher, they go up to 27C with the side fan on.
Plants were pruned and spread out a bit to better fill the tent and have enough room for fatter buds, for better air circulation and light penetration. Took three clones of each clone plant and 4 clones off the ZH seed plant, hoping they survive and root well.
Zamal Hash from seed is now around 110cm tall and still stretching around 2cm/day but slowing down.

I moved and rotated the plants to achieve better light spread.

ZH in the back, Cognition in center
picture.php

The Kali China male has an interesting mutation on the fan leaves and I like the way it looks
Not ready yet to spread pollen, I'm still not sure if I should go sinsemilla or slightly pollinate the plants.
KC has double serrations and not robust stem, so it's a gamble to expect a good progeny.

picture.php

Still keeping feeding levels pretty moderate, 2ml/l of bloom and 1,5ml/l of grow. Next time only water and after that increasing bloom to 3ml/l and lowering grow to 1ml/l.

That's it from me for this year, to all ACE people(breeders, staff), all growers and afficionados - have a great end of year 2015 and an even better 2016!!!

Koondense

Veteran
Hi,
I'm finally back from partying to update the grow.

Everything is under control, temps and humidity are ok(18-19/23-25°C; rel.h. 50-70%), the plants are being watered every 3 days. Some fans were yellowing but stopped, lack of N because of underfeeding was corrected with a nice dose of BioGrow in the mix.

Stretch is stopping, Zamal Hash seed is now around 1,3m high, the structure is very elongated and branchy with pretty long internodes, I think it's a very good robust sativa pheno judging by structure and leaf shape. Next time I'll take it out of the tent to take a picture.

The Kali China male opened a sack on the first night of 2016 and was taken out of the tent in the morning, I guess he dropped some pollen inside and maybe there will be some seeded buds on ZH from seed, maybe on all plants. There was minor pollen so maybe there won't be any seeds at all, we'll see.
I also collected the pollen along the next two days and chopped the plant. I kind of liked him because of very quick responsiveness to stress(I practiced supercropping + other sorts of training and he was bending very quickly towards the light).

Zamal Hash - seed plant, a branch
picture.php

The ZH clone is faster at bulking flowers and has a more pungent smell compared to other two plants.
Cognition is looking good and surprisingly fast at flowering.

Cognition in the front(center-right is ZH branch), Zamal Hash clone in the back
picture.php

I feel they will need more nutrition than I expected to give them, after all thew grew big in little time so soil is probably almost depleted. Still keeping up with around 2ml/l grow and 2ml/l bloom, will increase to 2,5ml/l grow and 2,5ml/l bloom next feed.
If there is anyone reading this and using BioBizz nutrients with Ace plants, please share some experience and help me grow the best possible plants:)

Cheers

C

Collembola

hello,

i use ammended potting compost from the supermarket now, that has a big dump of nutrients in it (that tends to "overfert" and then run out), although sometimes do not need feeding, beyond maintenance doses.

if they run out, then i usually go by eye, big plants can take like 10ml/l (say 80cm plants in 3litre pots) bio-b flowering nutes in depleted compost.

--------------

the leaves on yours look very delicate, but if they are having no problems now, at levels, i would maybe, try them on about 2ml grow and 4ml bloom per litre (baring in mind they are now in flower) see if they get green, plump etc.

then more if they can take it / or stop the grow nutes if they start complaining,

nice to have them with nitrogen reserves early in flowering for me.

--------------

i went off buying premium compost a while back as not worth the money imho, for what you get.

...expensive hobby already.

nice looking plants!

see you,

konopenko

Veteran
Nice grow bro! I have been using biobizz ferts from begining (10 years), I recon they are quite weak..so you must dose right mixture of soil to control it to perfection. Maybe its good to repot them before you flip them to flower, add more allmix soil, maybe some guano...or you make some guano tea, they would be pleased :)

Koondense

Veteran
Wow, it seems the BioBizz line is pretty weak if plants can take such amounts.
I was looking at the color of the feed and it gets dark pretty fast, so I assumed around 6ml/l would be max for the plants. Next feed will be stronger, 4ml/l grow + 4ml/l bloom and maybe some Plagron Supermix tea put together.
My pots are 18l(actual 14l of soil) and 11l(8l).

@JohnLoque
Last time I checked there was some resin on ZH seed plant, so I guess it probably started developing on the clones also. Exciting times ahead:)

Finally got some more micro zamal hashplants back in flower. Excited to get some more of this great smoke in a jar! Its been too long!

C

Collembola

hello,

i wouldn't say they are weak, just VERY slow for intake and gentle,

like konopenko says, need to get base medium running first.

also, really good for the bloom nutes only 2 N rating, so "less nitrogen content", by design.

----------

this year my tomatoes outside run out of nutes in the growbags and i was up to 25ml/l feeds (...not biobizz, similar n-p-k).

> depends on how rubbish compost is;

like my supermarket compost, they obviously dump soluble (?) / movable nutrients (forget word) in, so plant go BIG for a bit, people don't complain....

average hobbyist gardener is happy, doesn't know why their plants go yellow later...

--------

it only cost, this year $3.66 for 70 litres... so "challenge accepted"

nepjams are doing o-k.

($9999 depleted compost is as bad as $1 depleted compost, although probably has a nicer texture and better water retaining qualities...)

imho..

konopenko

Veteran
My friend who runs coco have tested biobizz grow on little plants and they yellowed in a day..
Dont get me wrong I like Biobizz, they are quality, eco and user friendly :) + they produce some kinky scent when left for couple of days ;)
My plan is not to spoil them to much when they are young. So I will use only light mix from biobizz for first two stages 0.1 L and 1L pots while they are on 125w 24/7.
400wMH will be used for 3 weeks repoted in 11L with mixed allmix, N8, light mix and biobizz grow..I will use some root juice and biobizz grow also at the end of stage 2.
Than maybe 2 weeks at 2*600W MH ,repot them in 18L with allmix and N8 and spoon of guano at the botom..I hope I will train 8 healthy sativa trees de Ace seeds.
At the end of strech I will replace MHs with 2*600w hps de Philips Sun :)

Koondense

Veteran
Sounds like a great plan, kono:)
Lots of light and lots of greens, I hope you will post some drooly pictures one day.
I would use bigger final pots, around 25-30l for serious monsters;)

How much should I water my plants? I gave them a bit more biogrow in today's mix, more strenght and less water(3ml/l bloom + 4ml/l grow), only a liter per plant(ZHs less than a liter).
I think they like it.

konopenko

Veteran
Do they have even bigger pots? Last time I was in Izola (8weeks) they had 18l max. It should be fine if they produce 18L of healthy roots each :)

Koondense

Veteran
There are many other gardening shops selling big pots, try Eurogarden near LJ.
Last time I was looking at some water tanks of 2,5m³, can you imagine a RDWC system with those:))
Or a nice big pot of 500l for the garden.

Anyway the 18l are good for big indoor plants but I really miss the big holes and root systems of outdoor plants. The ZamalHash clone has very strong growing roots and I think will get rootbound very soon.
Today I added some top soil mix, will add more if needed in the next week, for now I'll observe the reaction.
Hoping to keep a healthy clone of the outdoor ZH for the next OD season and put it in a nice sunny spot.
I also imagine how the seed ZH would do outdoors, she's a very vigorous grower with an amazing open structure.

Update with pictures coming tomorrow(or is it today?)

Dion

1000L IBC cut in half= 2 500L pots- buy it second hand and it costs like 20 euro each pot lol

Latest posts

Latest posts