What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hokkaido outdoor 2020

rizraz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Friends,
This is my outdoor 2020 observations of the Hokkaido strain. I ended up finding some interesting/unexpected expressions, so I wanted to take my time in getting all my ducks in a row before releases the info. Life comes at you fast sometimes and this took way longer than it should have. During the time since harvest, I lost two or three shipments to our lab partner, moved my entire livestock hemp farm, got vaccinated and finally got my computer set back up and started to organize all my data for this post. My internet connectivity is somewhere between poor and extremely poor until Starlink sends me my unit in late summer so excuse any delays in replies.

Backstory/Story
I’ll start by explaining that this project was done by myself and another hemp grower testing fiber cultivar for a potential grant funded research program my company was hoping to be involved with. We tested a ton of various fiber producing hemp strains all over the southern US at various friends, neighbors, growers, and hemp farmers we are networked with. The Hokkaido tests were performed by me and a long-time experienced grower helping do some heavy lifting with pollen chucking for increasing seed sources originally and then included an impressively analytical grower for the blind test.

During 2019 and 2020 Hokkaido was a freebie from Ace and we ended up sending a couple grand on seeds during that time. We ordered some Hokkaido and often selected it as a freebie. We started with around 100 Hokkaido, the exact number we don’t recall and didn’t save all the seed packs. I also took good notes of what was tested indoor and almost no notes on what was directly sown.

I sprouted the first batch of seeds and without much thinking saved the two best males, each one distinct. We cloned all the females and flowered the original seed plants once everything was backed up. I was merely trying to increase the seed source of my Hokkaido to do a larger exploration outdoors. I took around 40 seeds sprouted them, ended up with around 25 mothers. I flowered those 25 with the intention of using an “overflowering” technique to test sexual stability. Around week 7 most of the flower were completely ripe and because I wasn’t deeply paying attention to this little run I didn’t notice until then that several of my females had a pronounced nose and visible resin clearly different from the rest. I made notes and organized my mothers by expression/grade. Grade A was the top resin producing plants with a much stronger nose. Chemotype was really the main factor for the “A” grade. Anything strong enough in nose and resin production was higher. All those samples were individually labeled under “A” as an example “1-A”. They were different slightly in structure and leaf width from the more fiber leaning plants. I made a B batch of similar visible resin plant but with less pronounced nose and a C group for the obliviously fiber leaning plants who still had a nice coating of visible glands.

Around that same time another grower sprouted around 40 seeds to being the same process of increasing seed source. I continued my flowering of the initial test batch of the Hokkaido for another 4-6 weeks. I did end up culling 10 plants who intersexed around week 11 and another 3 of the fiber leaning plants were doing nothing so they were harvested, and ear marked for pollination to progress my fiber goals. My only other real notes of this small indoor run were a couple of plants of each group did have a decent “reflower” that produce a nice second wave of heavy flower production. I did not photo document this journey, at the time this was grunt work to see if I could find a viable fiber leaning plant for a job I MIGHT get if everything falls into place and I needed a large enough seed stock to make that make sense. I did see some potential after purchasing the seeds when I found an article talking about how much wild hemp was around in Japan and how most of the wild types wouldn’t get you high, but it went on to that two people were cultivating Hokkaido strain for hash production and got arrested. Couldn’t’ dig up much more than a Japanese news clipping about the two going to jail but the story piqued my interest. 2% THC is not enough to be worth cultivating for hash production in any meaningful way.

Not to long after my grower friend calls me and tells me he tested a Hokkaido at 8 weeks and he’s nearly sure it has a decent CBD/CBG/THC production. I own a Purple Pro unit, so I figured fuck it, let’s test and see the truth. We tested his flower and got a plant with 5% CBD and no detectable THC. Interesting for sure, already almost double what I expected to be the top of the production range of the strain. At this point since we’ve busted out the Purpl Pro we test the ground remains of my original indoor stress test. We get 8% CBD and 6% THC. WTF!

Okay, now we know we’ve got something that’s going to be a larger project than we first thought but you never know for sure. You always kind of hold back too much excitement because, who knows could be a fluke or some remnants in the grinder broke loss and threw the testing, who knows. So, we plan a careful path forward.

Attachments

• photo2034403.png
    photo2034403.png
    227.6 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

rizraz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Testing in depth
To test the next batch, I needed all of them under my watchful eye. So, I made room in my plans for my no till terraced rows. A bit on the rows, the rows were tilled 3 years ago when we started this CBD project. The cycle for the soil starts in fall with harvest of the hemp. Already we would have sown Winter Rye, Vetch, Tillage Radishes, and common early Oats. We also stopped the minimal weeding the rows require about mid-way through flower. At this point the Rabbits I raise move into large ground pens that rotate through the rows until the weather forces us off till spring. We move back in spring and the rabbits finish off whatever remains or regrows until around April 1. At that point we add over the rabbit droppings and cover crops that didn’t get eaten a mixture of Fish Bone Meal, Oyster Shell Flour, Kelp Meal, Greensand, Soybean Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Bat Guano and then we unroll hay we cut the season previous as a thick mulch layer over the rabbit droppings and amendments. The local weather usually blesses us with abundant spring rain, so we let everything settle till May 1. At that point we seed with a buckwheat. This year I tried a pink buckwheat from Japan and didn’t have a good seed set but I bet with a fresher seed I’d have better luck. Around Mother’s Day we plant Autoflowers and June 1 we plant full seasons. I interplant Hemp, Tomatoes, Peppers, Sunflowers and Basil. So now you know my basic recipe for decent, heavy organic, outdoor flower.

Now onto the next phase of testing. We have 4 As, 5 Bs, 7 Cs and a bunch of clearly remarkably similar plants with the same smell and look. We took the 25ish mothers who passed our tests and now with a sort of intentional order of uniquely smelling and higher resin “A”s, Higher Resin “B”s who didn’t share the same unique nose as the A group, and the best fiber plants in the “C” group with the ones with the lowest number in the C group being the most resinous. We planted most of the remainder of the seeds in the first half of June. Veg plants hit the ground mid to late Jun depending on how long they needed to harden off. My plan again was to see what my selections from the indoor produced outdoors and pollinate branches as plants showed us promise. This was complicate further by the unexpected cannabinoid production.

By mid-September most of the Hokkaido were fully ripe. We started the harvesting the obvious fiber crops and I looked back over my indoors notes and remembered that reflowering trait I wanted to explore. We pollinated at basically max ripeness the best of the best of the seeds, the previous mothers and the selected from the other grower. I pollinated the C group with a mixed pollen to increase the fiber lean in the plants and (hopefully) give us enough seed to start with at least a full acre of Hokkaido to explore as a fiber plant if we get the job. I pollinated the B with a mixed pollen of the two males of my original selections, one lanky and thick stemmed and one shorter but overall, maybe a stronger plant with the best stem rub smells of the batch. The A1 plant was pollinated by the shorter but overall better plant. It was clear by this point that some of the Hokkaido line deviated in a potentially beneficial ways that could allow for some unique isolation projects. It was also clear that the 1A, the 1C both were producing higher visible glands than anyone else with 1A having a bright contrast between the plant and the glands heads which stayed in a sort of milky color throughout the plant’s life. Both of those plant again showed the reflowering trait outdoors and packed on a clear coat of icky sticky.

Attachments

• photo1990972.jpg
    photo1990972.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 107
  • photo1990971.jpg
    photo1990971.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 108
  • photo1990970.jpg
    photo1990970.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 107
  • photo1990969.jpg
    photo1990969.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 103
  • photo1990967.jpg
    photo1990967.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 109
  • photo1990966.jpg
    photo1990966.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 102
  • photo1990965.jpg
    photo1990965.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 108
  • photo1990964.jpg
    photo1990964.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 110
  • photo1990977.jpg
    photo1990977.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 125
  • photo1990979.jpg
    photo1990979.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 112
  • photo1990978.jpeg
    photo1990978.jpeg
    188.7 KB · Views: 109

rizraz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So here is the labs from the 1A female. This is a scan of a printed copy of the labs further edited to remove any personal information. Full labs shared with Ace Seeds. I will post all the labs but my internet is being shitty right now.

Avazyme_CS1029_1A Hokki_Scan_Redacted.jpg

rizraz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Blind Test
Next phase of the project is what I always do when I’m excited about something. I beg and plead with someone unrelated to do a test. I try my hardest to not tell them too much or act too excited about a project in hopes that the results aren’t skewed by my influence. The grower working the A1 seeds knew what the genetics were. Did not know that I thought some were higher in Cannabinoids. Did not know about the Purpl Pro results. The grower wasn’t given any specific traits to look for. The grower was simply asked to offer feedback without bias. They took a few seeds, had 2 males and 2 females. The two females seem to be of the two distinct genotypes, one taller and more fiber looking with less density in the buds and the other medium sized, denser flowered and already at week 4 putting on a visible coat of resin. Next of pictures if from week 6.5. Sorry for the Bruple colors.

Attachments

• IMG_4765.JPG
    IMG_4765.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 56
  • photo2034409.jpg
    photo2034409.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 65
  • photo2034410.jpg
    photo2034410.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 57

rizraz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
And here is the finished "P2 1-A" seeds. I'll add purpl pro results as I have time and depending on what those show we might also send off the labs for one of these females,

Attachments

• photo2034411.jpg
    photo2034411.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 91
  • photo2034412.jpg
    photo2034412.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 90
  • photo2034420.jpg
    photo2034420.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 86
  • photo2034421.jpg
    photo2034421.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 90
  • photo2034422.jpg
    photo2034422.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 89
  • photo2034423.jpg
    photo2034423.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 94
  • photo2034424.jpg
    photo2034424.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 94

rizraz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
And hopefully I formatted all this correctly and readable and everything makes sense. Between my poor internet and the new ICmag I'm fucking lost y'all.

woolybear

Veteran
The backstory portion could use some paragraphs, but otherwise the posts turned out great!

MexicanSun

Hi, congratulations on this very thorough piece of research, it sounds like you have the job you were born to do and it also sounds like you are helping the folks at Ace develop this Japanese 'hemp' plant into a very interesting option for growers of drug/medicinal cannabis.

Out of pure curiosity, can you think of any existing variety that the Hokkaido might take after? Do you think it would eventually grow and smoke like an Afghani hashplant, or like a tropical thin-leafed longflower, or somewhere in the middle?

Again, thanks, this level of detail really appeals to me! 🤙👍

rizraz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey MexicanSun, I appreciate the reply. You know I read and read this and never thought once that I should add a smoke report till your post. I think I'll take a week off from smoking and add a fresh smoke report to this post.

To give you a quick answer she reminds me more of a Central American landrace strain but chiller. CBG (to me) has the effect of remove/reducing what we normally consider "Indica" effects. So while I think this plant leans way less sativa in growth than say a Honduras or Panama strain where they both meet is that area between the normal "Sativa" or "Indica" effects. Also 6% THC for someone at my current usage makes me a likely poor choice for testing this (or any) flower on. With a small break from usage I should be able to give a better idea of both the effects and the overall smoking experience. If I have time I might press some of the cured flowers and make some Rosin to test as well. It won't be golden but it will amplify the effects for a better understanding of what she's bringing to the table.

rizraz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
[No message]

Attachments

• photo2034654.jpg
    photo2034654.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 76
  • photo2034656.jpg
    photo2034656.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 71
  • photo2034660.jpg
    photo2034660.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 76
  • photo2034661.jpg
    photo2034661.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 74
  • photo2034662.jpg
    photo2034662.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 73

rizraz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here are a bunch more of the labs. I may or may not have added some twice. The new ICmag "Add more" feature doesn't always load the scroll bar so I can't scroll up and down to see where I've left off after loading 4 images. Hopefully they're not too confusing. Here you can see all the rest of the Cannabinoid rich Hokkaidos we found.

Attachments

• photo2034664.jpg
    photo2034664.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 68
  • photo2034665.jpg
    photo2034665.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 75
  • photo2034666.jpg
    photo2034666.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 69
  • photo2034667.jpg
    photo2034667.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 75
G

Wow this is cool stuff excited for the smoke report. buds look nice. thanks for the scoop.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Amazing job you and your team have done rizraz :tiphat: I cannot thank you enough for the time, resources and efforts spent in this project, and for the research and results you have done with Hokkaido line :kiss:

When we started the Hokkaido P1 seeds i didn't know what to expect, i also read a bit on internet about Japanese and Hokkaido cannabis genetics, but the info was old and sometimes contradictory, it was not clear to me whether Hokkaido cannabis was really psychoactive or not.

When we started the P1 Hokkaido plants from the original seeds they looked in growth very hashplant indica to me (wide leaves, thick stems, quite aromatic and sticky when rubbing stems), cannabis expressions most of us relate with psychoactive cannabis indica, but later in flowering the females indoors didn't produce much resin or terpenes. That first test got a bit infested with spider mites, so we took clones and test them again outdoors. They flowered during August under our torrid Spanish sun (Hokkaido prefers a colder weather during flowering), and the results were more or less the same than indoors, not good at all. I smoked the flowers of the different females and i barely felt nothing. Samples were brought to the lab confirming their low cannabinoid and terpene content in all the samples (although the sample population was rather small). So with this initial experience and lab results i could only classify and release Hokkaido as a hemp strain of no relevant cannabinoid or terpene content. I'm glad i open pollinated the line in its P1 generation with what we had, otherwise these recessive or less frequent interesting new expressions would not arose, or at least less frequently.

Your experience and results truly opens new interesting breeding paths for this strain and obligates me to reformulate my concept and potential of this genetics.

As we have discussed privately and based on your wider results with the P2 generation, seems 3 main chemotypes or groups can be found.

Group A) It would be represented by your 1A female, which is rich in both THC (5,43 %) and CBD (9,92 %). This is close to a 1:2 THC:CBD chemotype. This is obviously the most interesting group to drive the strain to become psychoactive. Backcrossing its offspring several times again with the 1A mother will fix this chemotype. I wonder whether there are other interesting chemotypes rich in cannabinoids with different ratios, guess time will tell. This desirable psychoactive pheno seems to be the exception at this point.

Group B) Plants that produce high CBD content (11 %) with low THC (0,5 %). This seems to be a quite frequent group based on your results, and a very interesting chemotype to develop a CBD rich strain, in compliance with laws of countries that allow hemp growing of high CBD content and THC lower than 1%.

Group C) Hempy plants of very low THC (0,07 %) and low CBD content (2%). This is the best group to develop a fast flowering hemp fiber strain for northern climates in compliance with (ie European) countries with 0,3 % THC limit.

So from a strain that for most was initially useless, now 3 different interesting projects with different goals can be started :)
This is a proof of the incredible genetic plasticity of cannabis plant. With correct breeding, a hemp strain can become psychoactive, and a psychoactive strain can become hay, and much more quickly than one could expect, in just one generation in the case of this strain.

I'm extremely excited about all these new discoveries rizraz! Please, let us know what's your opinion about the smoke of 1A more psychoactive female, looks very resinous! A description of the best and most aromatic plants you have found would be interesting as well. Also, to know the opinion about B group from users used to more refined CBD strains, just to compare.

Thanks again! :ying:

Piff_cat

Hey rizraz wanted to add some info for ya. The milky trichomes you saw appear to be specialized cbg trichomes. And have you been able to find a lab that detects cbca? If not seperated cbca and cbda will both appear under cbda which could be masking considerable cbc in acid form. Great work

Attachments

• photo2101660.jpg
    photo2101660.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 60
  • photo2101661.jpg
    photo2101661.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 63
  • photo2101659.jpg
    photo2101659.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 64

rizraz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey rizraz wanted to add some info for ya. The milky trichomes you saw appear to be specialized cbg trichomes. And have you been able to find a lab that detects cbca? If not seperated cbca and cbda will both appear under cbda which could be masking considerable cbc in acid form. Great work

Hey friend, I am not sure if my new lab partner can detect those differences or not. I'll ask next time I'm with them. Those white papers you sent me in IG sent me down a rabbit hole of stuff to research, really interesting stuff! I am including some of them in a paperwork I'm sending to Dubi! Thanks for adding something to my mind and following along! This year will be our big Hokkaido work. I'm going to explore all the seed lots I have from the last grow. Trying to get 300-500 of them out in the rows so we can really see what we have and where we're heading. Plus I think more/better male selection will make all the difference in the world in what comes next in our isolations.

rizraz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
And sorry everyone for any delays on my end, lots to manage and build and no internet here makes doing computer stuff painful.