What's new

NL89 (The Seed Bank NL#5 circa 1989 F2)

treehouse gen

This will be an outdoor grow so there wont be a lot of activity for several weeks still but I thought I would start off with a photo and an introduction.
Hello, I am Tom. AKA Proto from Treehouse Genetics. AKA just some guy from Maine.
A handful of years ago my brother in laws brother in law who had been making yearly trips to Amsterdam since the mid eighties gifted me with some seeds that he had purchased from The Seed Bank in 1989. He had heard that I was getting more seriously into breeding and starting a small seed company to release a few of my own strains and he thought I might be interested in a couple of gems from the vault to work with. He was right but sadly the timing couldn't have been worse.
To actually make a long story short I'll just say after losing a son to a car accident, a sister to cancer and getting robbed I found it necessary to take a break from the world for a while. The only thing I managed to save was a small handful of seeds including some of my strains,some landrace sativas and a thousand or so NL#5 F2's.
My wife and I just moved into our forever home, built on family land that I have been gorilla growing on since I was 14 and I am finally ready to start growing and breeding again.
I have several other strains going as well but a large part of my focus for this year will be to grow out 60-80 of the NL89 with the goal of selecting a few gem seed mothers and one or more fathers. As I understand it this original NL#5 was made by crossing NL#1 (a pure afghani selection) to a Thai sativa then back crossing to the NL#1 twice making it roughly 90% indica. Since these are an F2 of that back cross I expect some variation and will most likely be able to choose more than one direction to go but mainly I would like to recreate the NL#5 that I smoked in the late eighties and early nineties.
Piney and skunky with an odd sweet green funk. A euphoric buzz that painted a smile on your face and made you feel like you were floating. Basically it was as ghani as it could be while still having some notable Thai in the buzz and a touch of it in the terps. Of course this was just the particular pheno that was grown in this area at that time but it would be nice to revisit. The other criteria for this selection will be early to flip and fast to finish. A 45 day pheno that is done by the first week in September is the goal.
When I do my outdoor selection I will start those seeds outside in may and document the grow here and on the Treehouse genetics YouTube channel. I have also started a few of the NL89 early to have all sexed and ready when it's time to put plants outside. Here's one now at 5 weeks.

Attachments

• DSCF68022.jpg
    DSCF68022.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 92

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Nice but you may want to think about buying an ad since you're going professional, etc (Youtube, Facebook, IG).:tiphat:

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
Premium user
420club
I called it before NL was making a come back. People will start buying other people's NL and try to pass it off as their own with bogus claims, just like how people took Melvantics 89 NL#5 and resold it as their own "stashed for years" NL.

Treehouse will have to come up with some solid evidence for his claim and not just some campfire story.

Last edited:

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
I called it before NL was making a come back. People will start buying other people's NL and try to pass it off as their own with bogus clams, just like how people took Melvantics 89 NL#5 and resold it as their own "stashed for years" NL.

Treehouse will have to come up with some solid evidence for his claim and not just some campfire story.

ha ha, that brilliant idea goes WAY back, just sayin'! :bigeye: :whistling:

treehouse gen

I called it before NL was making a come back. People will start buying other people's NL and try to pass it off as their own with bogus claims, just like how people took Melvantics 89 NL#5 and resold it as their own "stashed for years" NL.

I get that for sure. When I was given the offer to choose from his stash I chose the NL#5 specifically because I had intimate knowledge of this strain and was confident that if these seeds were from the same parent stock as the NL#5 grown locally from the late eighties to the mid nineties it would be obvious. After growing the original seeds and doing the open pollination I remain confident. Even though I did not get to smoke a proper flower with the plants being fully seeded the old school terpene profile was evident.
Ultimately the proof will be in the pudding and the only people it will mean anything to are those of us who have enjoyed this particular pudding before. For everyone else, what it actually is will be more important than what it's said to be and that is entirely dependent on what I find in these f2's and what I make with it.
All I know for sure is that I will have fun doing it. :)

treehouse gen

The first round of NL89 are six weeks old now. Of the first twelve seeds I germinated ten popped but only seven made it up out of the peat pellets and three of those were eliminated within a few weeks for various reasons. I will be starting a ton of these beans once it warms up but these four are the keepers from this first round. I may end up taking cuts and flowering these ones indoor since I got them going so early and I have so many other plants going right now.
Anyway, I thought I would just copy today's notebook entry to show my process for anyone who is interested. The man who taught me how to grow AKA "The Farmer" had been growing and breeding for over two decades when I met him in 1992 and he had stacks of notebooks with entries like this from spending days sitting in his patches,making observations and taking notes. He taught me that the more intimately you know a plant the easier it is to see it's traits in any hybrids and cross breeds.

Observations from 3/24/2020 six weeks from seed.

NL89#7 15" 8 nodes medium spacing,vigorous branching. Lowers reach 3/4 to the top. Semi soft,hollow.
Large hybrid type leaves.Dark green.
Low odor. Sweet/tart/citric.
Bulbous trichomes=low
Gender=unknown

NL89#10 12" 7 nodes,close spacing,medium branching. Lowers reaching 1/2 way to the top. Soft,hollow.
Small indica type leaves.Light green. Very OG Ghani looking plant.
Medium odor. Sweet/creamy/citric.
bulbous trichomes=medium
Gender= unknown (pre pre flowers looking male)

NL89#11 17" 9 nodes medium spacing,medium branching. Lowers reaching 1/2 way to the top. Semi soft/hollow.
Large hybrid type leaves.Dark green.
High odor Diesel/skunky/citric.
Gender=Female.Very female.
Bulbous trichomes=high. Coating the stems,leaves and pre flower calyxes.

NL89#12 15" 8 nodes,medium spacing,medium branching.Lowers reaching 1/2 way to the top. Firm.
Med/large hybrid type leaves. Nearly identical to #11 but slightly smaller.Dark green.
High odor. Skunky/spicy/herbaceous/axle grease.
Bulbous trichomes=high
Gender=unknown (pre pre flowers looking male)

Attachments

• DSCF6816.jpg
    DSCF6816.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCF6817.jpg
    DSCF6817.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCF6818.jpg
    DSCF6818.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCF6819.jpg
    DSCF6819.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCF6820.jpg
    DSCF6820.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCF6825.jpg
    DSCF6825.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCF6824.jpg
    DSCF6824.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCF6822.jpg
    DSCF6822.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCF6821.jpg
    DSCF6821.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 97

highsteppa

Veteran
Nice and best of luck with your project. We have and old nl cut that’s nice and done late sept. Piney smell.

treehouse gen

Still here, just stupid busy working 12-14 hour days on the farmstead. Plants are doing great outside and some are taller than me already. Pics coming soon when I get a spare few minutes.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Still here, just stupid busy working 12-14 hour days on the farmstead. Plants are doing great outside and some are taller than me already. Pics coming soon when I get a spare few minutes.

It's best to venture out in the community...indoor/outdoor grows. All the greatness for your summer grows.

treehouse gen

july 11 update

july 11 update

So, of the 42 seeds I popped I narrowed it down to 7 ladies to flower. Here are my three favorites. These ladies have had my attention from day one.
Number 18 towers 6 feet over the top of her 150gal pot and her sister number 11 is not far behind. The super og ghani leaner number 13 is short and bushy as one would expect. Looking good so far..

Attachments

• nl18.jpg
    nl18.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 85
  • nl18&11.jpg
    nl18&11.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 84
  • nl13.jpg
    nl13.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 75

treehouse gen

not flowering yet. just a very tight bushy plant from the start. I am really hoping for an early/fast pheno though. Something that flips a week earlier than everything else and only needs 7 weeks to finish. I know back in the day there was some nl5 around here that finished by the first week of september so..fingers crossed.

Latest posts

Latest posts