What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tips on shopping for bud in Amsterdam

Panoramical

We all hate being patronised, getting ripped off and being treated as though we are inferior.

This is what often happens to tourists when shopping for buds in Amsterdam coffee shops. The bar-tenders can spot the tourists a mile off and can (if they want) take them for a complete ride and then rip them off. Tourists gets this "mug" reputation because a lot of them behave like twats. Then along comes the considerate stoner tourist, who'll get tarred with the same brush and treated as just another tourist to exploit.

Dickhead tourists have been around for too long to change how they all are perceived, this will go on forever and is prevalent throughout the world. But I'm sure there are some gestures you can make or questions you can ask that will make the bar-tender realise "this isn't your typical twat of a tourist".

I know it's impossible for an amateur to fool an experienced bar-tender into thinking he's got 20 years of breeding experience, but what can a tourist do to be taken more seriously? I've got a few tips/ideas that I will be employing when I visit next month:

First and foremost, don't act like one of "those" tourists (I.e. be respectful and presentable).
Always ask to look and smell (don't touch without asking) before buying.
When you find a strain you like, ask about it's breeder and lineage.

Does anyone have anything else they can add?

mrktwiz

I am actually learning German to help me when I travel in Europe, my g/f heads to Amsterdam about twice a year to help her clients with equestrian purchases, we also travel a lot in Germany and Switzerland. I would think if you learned some of the local language it might go a long way to help aleviate the obvious "tourist" vibe?

k90728

People get ripped off in coffee shops??? Maybe the once a year toker.

Its not a street deal so the customer should ask if they can look or smell before the cashier starts pressing buttons.
Pretty much if i walk in and see a price, im going to pay that price depending on the situation tho.( i like to haggle)

One of the only times i can say some people get ripped. Is when some coffeeshops have a few strains called "Jamaican" or "Thailand" and legit its shitty ass weed sold as a premium.(like mids,schwag)

NEVER GET THE PREROLLED J's!! In Amsterdam or california haha.

filtr0w

hey there everyone

just got back from amsterdam, i had a nice week over there

some tips i would personally give

coffeeshops:

dampkring / chocolope / kali mist
grey area / kuchi (!!!) / silver bubble
katsu / og 18
bushdoctor / casey jones (!!!)

and also maybe you kill me for saying this, but i did enjoy barney's tangerine dream, overpriced, but nice...

Over the course of my visits to Amsterdam, the Grey Area has always been the most consistent in its quality, and provided the definite highlights of each trip. The stuff at the top of the menu is all good, and don't knock on the cheaper stuff, like GreyBerry at 8.5e/g.

Other places that I'd recommend are the Bluebird, Siberie, Dampkring 2, Amnesia, and I've heard great things about Katsu but never actually made it there.

In general, do ask the budtenders for recommendations - it may give you away for a tourist, but they'd have picked up on that anyway - and as long as you don't ask "what's the difference between weed and hash?" they probably won't think you're a novice, either.
The point of this is that surprisingly often they'll honestly say something on the menu (which you may have been planning on buying) isn't all that great, and something else may tickle your fancy a bit more. I remember a bunch of budtenders telling me something wasn't the best batch they'd got or wasn't particularly potent, even if they were making no extra money on me buying something else.

Stick to reputable places, ask the budtenders what they are smoking, check to see what you're buying looks like, and be courteous. A few words of Dutch and polite manners can go a long way towards better service, freebies like drinks or papers with your purchases, and if you plan on being a repeat customer, better weed in the end.
If the budtenders recognize you as a regular customer (obviously something a little hard to do on a 2 or 3 day trip, but for longer stays), I've definitely noticed they start picking out nicer buds for you.

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
Media cafe around the corner from Katsu is a nice spot. Really good menu. Not so many tourists so less chance of being ripped off.

titoon29

Travelling Cannagrapher Penguin !
Veteran
Reg Dixon, I think you re talking about Club Media probably, not media cafe ;)
It is indeed a pretty cool shop, a lil cheaper than the central shops and usually good quality, mostly locals there.

I've been impressed by the constant quality of Voyagers as well, they carry some nice /well grown strains for decent prices. I got the kosher kush yesterday, most expensive of course for 15 a g. Super lemon haze was good and 10e/g last time I was there. Sour bubble was a really nice smoke as well. I strongly advice you drop by there :)

check out the homegrown fantaseeds during the outdoor season they offer really nice buds for you outdoor fans. Scored some very very nice smelling outdoor durban for 8e, and last time they had some really sweet 5-6E/g buds.

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
I am actually learning German to help me when I travel in Europe, my g/f heads to Amsterdam about twice a year to help her clients with equestrian purchases, we also travel a lot in Germany and Switzerland. I would think if you learned some of the local language it might go a long way to help aleviate the obvious "tourist" vibe?
This is very good advice. Learn to speak some Dutch. The locals will think that you're less "clueless" and more curious/respectful, and they'll also usually treat you in a special way. Google BYKI for language software, it's a good product for both computer and smart phone that focuses on pronunciation- and Dutch is a toughie, but not impossible.

Also check this forum for the latest on all things amsterdam...http://www.coffeeshop.freeuk.com/

Over the course of my visits to Amsterdam, the Grey Area has always been the most consistent in its quality, and provided the definite highlights of each trip. The stuff at the top of the menu is all good, and don't knock on the cheaper stuff, like GreyBerry at 8.5e/g.

Other places that I'd recommend are the Bluebird, Siberie, Dampkring 2, Amnesia, and I've heard great things about Katsu but never actually made it there.

In general, do ask the budtenders for recommendations - it may give you away for a tourist, but they'd have picked up on that anyway - and as long as you don't ask "what's the difference between weed and hash?" they probably won't think you're a novice, either.
The point of this is that surprisingly often they'll honestly say something on the menu (which you may have been planning on buying) isn't all that great, and something else may tickle your fancy a bit more. I remember a bunch of budtenders telling me something wasn't the best batch they'd got or wasn't particularly potent, even if they were making no extra money on me buying something else.

Stick to reputable places, ask the budtenders what they are smoking, check to see what you're buying looks like, and be courteous. A few words of Dutch and polite manners can go a long way towards better service, freebies like drinks or papers with your purchases, and if you plan on being a repeat customer, better weed in the end.
If the budtenders recognize you as a regular customer (obviously something a little hard to do on a 2 or 3 day trip, but for longer stays), I've definitely noticed they start picking out nicer buds for you.

Add Voyagers to that list. Been there three times now, and not a disappointing purchase. One of the closest to Centraal station, and functions as a hostel too.

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
There is a new place just changed hands called Utopia. New menu and staff etc. I have not been there but have heard good things about it recently. Might be worth a try.
I think it is just over from Home Grown Fantasy.

fastgreen1959

I went there for New Years eve, got a spot in utopia about 2pm got some Mango haze and Amnesia haze, settled down and stayed there untill about 11.30 ( mainly cos i was so comfy!!) b4 going to the square for midnight. I would reccomend the hazes in Utopia, No one looking down their noses! all in all just a friendly comfy coffee shop with a fine selection of Bud.

Ruosk

I've found that the best way to avoid being sold schwag is... not to buy it ;) If you don't like what you are seeing and smelling, ask for something different or leave. I also think that not being an complete asshole should go without saying, no matter where or why you are. And it goes the other way too, I'd never buy anything from a shop that doesn't show respect for their customers, be it weed, a sandwich or a TV set.

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
I've found that the best way to avoid being sold schwag is... not to buy it ;) If you don't like what you are seeing and smelling, ask for something different or leave. I also think that not being an complete asshole should go without saying, no matter where or why you are. And it goes the other way too, I'd never buy anything from a shop that doesn't show respect for their customers, be it weed, a sandwich or a TV set.

Absolutely 100% correct. If the budtender is being a prick just walk out. Plenty of places sell weed in the Dam. No need to buy from rude or shady individuals.

Rinse

Veteran
When I was in Amsterdam the coffee shop staff were always polite and helpful, didn't get ripped off.
The best ones I remember were abraxas and bluebird.

The manali jungli charas (cream) I bought in greenhouse for 18eu a gram was not as good as the 8eu charas (hard/glassy) in Abraxas though.
So don't think the most expensive on menu is the best, shop around.

glock23

one in the chamber
Veteran
Abraxas was my favorite shop on my trip to the 'dam by far. The stairs can be challenging if you try their top shelf stuff though. lol

budaholic2

I just came back this week from Amsterdam, was there for 10 days during the cold spell..With frozen canals and the bitter cold wind

The Cream de Maroc 5g for 60euro was one of my favourites from Abraxas, bought plenty of it...

Bud

Attachments

• Cream.JPG
    Cream.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 38

Latest posts

Latest posts