What's new

Triptophan

Spaventa

Veteran
I am experimenting with this stuff. L-Triptophan is applied to various crops to increase flavour and aroma. Application results in increased levels of two compounds. One of them is melatonin, the precursor to aromatic volatiles like terpenes. They use it on grapes and strawberries for example. It also increases fruit yield.

This alone is enough reason to try it on cannabis but the other compound it produces is even more interesting… auxin.
Tobacco growers apply Triptophan to keep the tobacco plants from flowering and ruining the leaves, extending the productive vegetative stage until harvest. Tobacco, like cannabis is a photoperiod plant but Triptophan keeps it in veg just producing the leaves the growers want.

This presents two very interesting possible applications with cannabis.
Most obviously, giving Triptophan to plants you want to keep in veg, could potentially mean you only need 12/12 light for everything. All your mothers, vegging plants, clones, could all be on 12/12 and veg as normal. In fact, the auxin levels resulting from Triptophan application increase growth and speed up rooting.
Then when you want to flower those plants, you stop the Triptophan.
The other even more interesting possible application, if it works, is to apply it to autos to keep them in veg and allow you to keep an auto mother plant. Cuttings should root and then without Triptphan, revert back to automatic and flower.
This would mean you select an auto mother and make free auto clones for outdoor grows at any latitude. Free clones would allow people to put more out without risking a huge seed investment or unknown genetics.

I have the stuff and some autos to experiment with so hopefully I’ll be back with confirmation it works, or doesn’t lol
Hope it does guys and girls because it would be amazing :).
If anyone has any experience, insight or thoughts on Triptophan, please share anything you have. Thanks

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I am experimenting with this stuff. L-Triptophan is applied to various crops to increase flavour and aroma. Application results in increased levels of two compounds. One of them is melatonin, the precursor to aromatic volatiles like terpenes. They use it on grapes and strawberries for example. It also increases fruit yield.

This alone is enough reason to try it on cannabis but the other compound it produces is even more interesting… auxin.
Tobacco growers apply Triptophan to keep the tobacco plants from flowering and ruining the leaves, extending the productive vegetative stage until harvest. Tobacco, like cannabis is a photoperiod plant but Triptophan keeps it in veg just producing the leaves the growers want.

This presents two very interesting possible applications with cannabis.
Most obviously, giving Triptophan to plants you want to keep in veg, could potentially mean you only need 12/12 light for everything. All your mothers, vegging plants, clones, could all be on 12/12 and veg as normal. In fact, the auxin levels resulting from Triptophan application increase growth and speed up rooting.
Then when you want to flower those plants, you stop the Triptophan.
The other even more interesting possible application, if it works, is to apply it to autos to keep them in veg and allow you to keep an auto mother plant. Cuttings should root and then without Triptphan, revert back to automatic and flower.
This would mean you select an auto mother and make free auto clones for outdoor grows at any latitude. Free clones would allow people to put more out without risking a huge seed investment or unknown genetics.

I have the stuff and some autos to experiment with so hopefully I’ll be back with confirmation it works, or doesn’t lol
Hope it does guys and girls because it would be amazing :).
If anyone has any experience, insight or thoughts on Triptophan, please share anything you have. Thanks
Thank you for the interesting post friend. Keep us posted on the results.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
patents on this.

Methods for increasing secondary metabolite production in cannabis​

Jun 29, 2022

Compositions and methods of using exogenous antioxidant compounds and additives for cannabis and hemp production and growth and methods for enhancing the production of secondary metabolites and alleviating stress in cannabis and hemp plants are described.

SUMMARY
In one aspect, provided is a composition for application to a Cannabis plant, which includes an antioxidant compound and a fertilizer. In any embodiment, the antioxidant compound is selected from melatonin, 6-hydroxymelatonin, N-acetylserotonin, or a combination of any two or more thereof. In any embodiment, the antioxidant compound is melatonin. In any embodiment, the fertilizer includes a growth medium and additive nutrients. In any embodiment, the growth medium is selected from foliar spray, soil, compost, an aeroponic growth medium, a hydroponic growth medium, and a combination of any two or more thereof. In any embodiment, the additive nutrient is selected from the group consisting of potassium sulfate, ammonium sulfate, sodium thiosulfate, ammonium thiosulfate, potassium thiosulfate, potassium nitrate, ammonium nitrate, urea, calcium nitrate, sodium nitrate and molasses. In any embodiment, the fertilizer includes inorganic salts and organic nutrients. In any embodiment, the fertilizer includes sulfate salts and molasses. In any embodiment, the additive nutrient is selected from the group consisting of potassium sulfate, ammonium sulfate, potassium nitrate, ammonium nitrate, urea, calcium nitrate, sodium nitrate and molasses. In any embodiment, the additive nutrient is potassium sulfate. In any embodiment, the composition enhances the content of one or more essential oils in a cannabis plant. In any embodiment, the composition alleviates stress in a cannabis plant. In any embodiment, the composition includes melatonin, a growth medium and potassium sulfate. In any embodiment, the composition includes melatonin, water and potassium sulfate.

In one aspect, provided is a method for enhancing the content of one or more essential oils in a cannabis plant, the method comprising applying to the cannabis plant, a composition comprising an endogenous antioxidant compound. In another aspect provided is a method for alleviating one or more of salt stress, temperature stress, spectral stress and drought stress in a cannabis plant, wherein the method includes applying to the cannabis plant, a composition comprising an endogenous antioxidant compound. In any embodiment of the methods, the antioxidant compound is selected from melatonin, 6-hydroxymelatonin, N-acetylserotonin, or a combination of any two or more thereof. In any embodiment of the methods, the antioxidant compound is melatonin. In any embodiment of the methods, the fertilizer includes a growth medium and additive nutrients. In any embodiment of the methods, the growth medium is selected from foliar spray, soil, compost, an aeroponic growth medium, a hydroponic growth medium, and a combination of any two or more thereof. In any embodiment of the methods, the additive nutrient is selected from the group consisting of potassium sulfate, ammonium sulfate, sodium thiosulfate, ammonium thiosulfate, potassium thiosulfate, potassium nitrate, ammonium nitrate, urea, calcium nitrate, sodium nitrate and molasses. In any embodiment of the methods, the composition is to the cannabis plant applied during cultivation. In any embodiment of the methods, the composition is applied as a foliar spray.

In another embodiment, provided is a method for exogenously adding an endogenous antioxidant compound to a plant growth medium. In one aspect, a method of using melatonin as a nutrient or additive applied during cannabis cultivation. In other aspects, provided are methods of using melatonin as a means to enhance one or more of cannabinoid production, volatile aroma compound production, or the total essential oil content of cannabis. In other aspects, provided are methods of using melatonin in conjunction with inorganic salts as a nutrient for plants. In some further aspects, provided are methods of using an antioxidant (e.g., melatonin) in conjunction with inorganic salts or organic nutrients (e.g., molasses based products) for plants. In one aspect, provided are methods for alleviating one or more of salt stress, temperature stress, spectral stress and drought stress.

Nannymouse

Oh, my mind went to the work that i did in 'creating' a chocolate trip auto. I really like that auto. Tortured and never hermied (the photoperiod f2's), so deemed stable in that regard. BUT, it tosses out a large amount of albino seedlings. If mothers could be kept, clones taken of each, and do a 'selfing', to find the ones that won't produce albinos...that would be the finishing touch on this little strain, that i've not shared, just because of the albinos.

Thanks!

Spaventa

Veteran
Oh, my mind went to the work that i did in 'creating' a chocolate trip auto. I really like that auto. Tortured and never hermied (the photoperiod f2's), so deemed stable in that regard. BUT, it tosses out a large amount of albino seedlings. If mothers could be kept, clones taken of each, and do a 'selfing', to find the ones that won't produce albinos...that would be the finishing touch on this little strain, that i've not shared, just because of the albinos.

Thanks!
I really hope it keeps autos in veg. I think the possibilities are huge. Keeping an auto mother and making unlimited free auto clones is a guerilla growers dream, particularly at northern latitudes.
I’m germinating an Auto AK47 tonight.
I’m going to Ph water and add enough Tryptophan to get EC to 100 and see what happens.
If anyone has any better ideas, speak up, this is a community experiment :)

I found this regarding application

In this study, tryptophan was applied at 1.9 or 3.8 mg plant −1 by both methods but in different concentrations and volumes: 19 or 38 mg L −1 at 100 mL plant −1 for soil drenching and 1900 or 3800 mg L −1 at 1 mL plant −1 for foliar spray. ...

The article say Tryptophan is a fertiliser too and the nitrogen from it is more easily absorbed than nitrogen from soil. It just gets better. It’s a plant de stresser too.

Last edited:

goingrey

I really hope it keeps autos in veg. I think the possibilities are huge. Keeping an auto mother and making unlimited free auto clones is a guerilla growers dream, particularly at northern latitudes.
I’m germinating an Auto AK47 tonight.
I’m going to Ph water and add enough Tryptophan to get EC to 100 and see what happens.
If anyone has any better ideas, speak up, this is a community experiment :)
Are you doing a foliar application like in the patent?

Spaventa

Veteran
If you don't mind me asking.... What Brand/kind of Tryptophan did you use?
I bought food grade 100% pure Triptophan powder, sold as a nutritional supplement

I like the sound of improved mood and sleep so I’m going to try it myself too. Probably added to a drink rather than foliar spray :)

The main lab rat…
EF9EFFF0-3C87-4A1D-893D-B0C31F35B191.jpeg
E4474555-ECFB-4165-A91B-97B7B418C51D.jpeg

Last edited:

Spaventa

Veteran
Awesome!!

As an auxin, it is absorbed by plants and regulates various physiological and biochemical processes [35]. Many studies have indicated a positive effect of the L-Trp application on plant yield and its quality [32,36,37]. The effects of L-tryptophan on auxin synthesis have been observed after both foliar and soil application. ...
... Zahir et al. [39] attributed a positive effect of L-tryptophan applied to soil on plant yields to its direct uptake by plant roots, and then to its metabolization into auxins in plant tissues, but also to its transformation into auxins by microorganisms living in the rhizosphere. Mustafa et al. [32] stated that L-tryptophan contained about 14% of nitrogen that was released in the rhizosphere or in the plant during metabolism, which might play a significant role in increasing crop productivity. Furthermore, nitrogen, as a product of L-Trp metabolism, is absorbed much faster by plant cells than nitrogen from mineral fertilizers. ...

Ringodoggie

Premium user
For whatever it's worth, I found a couple plant fertilizers with tryptophan. Most everything was a human vitamin supplement but I did find a few products for plant use.

Not sure what good the info is but just FYI

GreenGro Green Aminos, Rooting Stimulator Blend with Amino Acids and Nutrients for Potting Mix​

PREMIUM BLEND OF AMINO ACIDS: Complete blend of aspartic acid, threonine, serine, glutamatic acid, proline, glycine, alanine, cysteine, valine, isoleucine, leucine, tyrosine, phenylalanine, lysine, histidine, arginine, and tryptophan; Gives your plants all their nutritional needs

Advanced Nutrients Big Bud Fertilizer Booster Vitamin Supplement Enhancer (1L)​

st one of these amino acids, L-tryptophan, is what your plants use to produce special, profoundly potent bud building chemicals that have the potential to deliver you the heaviest harvest you’ve ever had.

Advanced Nutrients Bud Blood 40g​

When you see an Advanced Nutrients product, you're seeing a well-researched, intensively-tested formula that nobody else can duplicate. When people want amazing results, they use Big Bud because it contains optimized ratios of Phosphorous, Potassium, Magnesium and Amino Acids that dramatically increase growth, width, weight and resin production. Big Bud is the only bloom supplement available that has all essential and all non-essential amino acids, including tryptophan and cystine

EDIT: Oops, Amazon links are not showing up.

Last edited:

Spaventa

Veteran
Not sure what good the info is but just FYI

GreenGro Green Aminos, Rooting Stimulator Blend with Amino Acids and Nutrients for Potting Mix​

PREMIUM BLEND OF AMINO ACIDS: Complete blend of aspartic acid, threonine, serine, glutamatic acid, proline, glycine, alanine, cysteine, valine, isoleucine, leucine, tyrosine, phenylalanine, lysine, histidine, arginine, and tryptophan; Gives your plants all their nutritional needs

Advanced Nutrients Big Bud Fertilizer Booster Vitamin Supplement Enhancer (1L)​

st one of these amino acids, L-tryptophan, is what your plants use to produce special, profoundly potent bud building chemicals that have the potential to deliver you the heaviest harvest you’ve ever had.

Advanced Nutrients Bud Blood 40g​

When you see an Advanced Nutrients product, you're seeing a well-researched, intensively-tested formula that nobody else can duplicate. When people want amazing results, they use Big Bud because it contains optimized ratios of Phosphorous, Potassium, Magnesium and Amino Acids that dramatically increase growth, width, weight and resin production. Big Bud is the only bloom supplement available that has all essential and all non-essential amino acids, including tryptophan and cystine

EDIT: Oops, Amazon links are not showing up.

There ya go. Very expensive way to buy it though! I payed £5 for enough to treat thousands of plants for years. The dose per plant is in Mg, no g!
The bigger issue is that they are all concoctions with a bunch of other stuff in that I have seen no evidence does any good so for a clean test of Tryptophan, I want to give it pure and know that any results are the Tryptophan.
I see no research results for the other stuff they put in these additive mixes so they may even harm for all I know. Tryptophan is proven at least. Edit. Not proven on Cannabis …yet!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts