What's new

YOUR WORST/DISAPOINTED/OVERATED STRAIN(S)

G

Now this has turned into a great thread.
As a business owner, I think the person putting the blood ,sweat and tears into getting things done should make as much money as they can. Most people go home and relax, someone else does the payroll, supply, logistics and they just show back up not really appreciating what it takes to get things done. There are no elves, just hard working people with no one to pass the buck to.

Where I live the primo KGB ( killer green bud) goes for 4-600. $150 for seeds and I can grow a pound that would have cost me $6,000 street value. Easy math.

Not to mention, people happily trade their own crosses and f2's. There's a big world of really cool people growing out there and sharing their knowledge and their stock.
Good things come to those who wait... and grow!

So I feel better, if my DJ Short Blueberry comes up short their is always the filial cross, and the outcross. Blueberry Widow anyone? I love my Nirvana White Widow phenome, but it needs a little flavor.

Great insight everyone! This is information growers can use.

Peace and get lazy ,it's sunday. Me , I am going to work ( no rest for the wicked).

K

G

summer had passed, so I started flowering clones again.Sadly the meteo tells us temperatures are rising this week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guest423

Veteran
seed price has NEVER been a factor when i make an order, and i honestly feel no strain is overpriced because if you don't want it there's plenty of other people willing to pay.

when your $100-$400 strain arrives why wouldn't you take clones or make seeds? it's the most logical thing to do, if your paying that much for a pack obviously it's in high demand, rare, limited, last pack, ect.....if i spend that much on a pack and end up with some killer mom's or 3000 seeds of my own then it's a great deal.

or you can go spend your $100-$150 on a quarter or $300-$500 on an oz of some of these strains and smoke it up in 3-10 days.

one thing people have to remember when buying strains like what DJ breeds is most of his breeding has been leaned towards anti-anxiety, flavor, and smell. i don't ever think his intentions were to make a strain that sends you to the moon or cripples you. if you read into his work he culls plants that are racy and majorly potent.

people need to research what they are gonna buy, like me for an example i don't chase potency, if i get a strain that is anti-anxiety with a feel good buzz but tastes and smells awesome i'm happy.

now if i'm going for potency i wouldn't be buying a blueberry obviously, i'd be looking into hazes, sour d's, g-13 , black domina, ect.

it's pretty hard to find a strain that is the most potent, smells the best, tastes the best, and yields massive....some come close but it seems this is what everyone expects when they buy a strain....it just isn't gonna happen thats why there are so many different strains....some are made for certain traits and some are made for other traits.

i'd pay $1000 on my favorite ultimate strain if i had to, and i'd have a lifetime supply of seeds or clones so in the long run it would be well worth it. if i was just gonna buy them to do 1 grow i wouldn't obviously. with weed prices these days you can't go wrong even if you have to shell out a little more then you want on a good strain. i'd be more mad that you pay $400-$500 for an oz of these "medical"or "super strains" that turn out to be bunk or overhyped then i would spending $100-$150 on a strain that didn't quite live up to your expectation but you have clones or alot of seeds to do future breeding with. just my 2 cents

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
Pike said:
if ya dont run your seed plants from clone ya really dont know what ya have. imo, you get a much better representation of the plant from clone or veg for 4 to 6 months.

i see lots of plants flowerin, and they arent even mature, still have straight up branchin, plants branches havent even started alternatin.(do this myself) you cant expect the best from the plant, that aint even mature.

CBF

that is an excellent point. often times the structure itself, smell and stone can change a lil bit not even from reveg but just from age.

I should've clarified myself a lil more, just worried about making un-readably long posts as I accidentally do from time to time. I can type about as fast as I can talk so without noticing it I get off track sometimes. :confused:

when you reveg you may see slight differences, but what I meant is I've never reveged 2 plants. and had the one that was superior to the other end up lower quality to the other after re veg. the ones that were the best stayed the best, and the ones that were second best stayed second best. so if your looking for a mom as fast as possible though it might change slightly it shouldn't be anything that will upset you. at least in the plants that I've revegged nothing ever happened that made me think the genes were shuffling. sometimes they don't make the reveg though. and thats truly sad. I lost the best weed I've ever smoked, a rare hawaiian because my reveg died over night on me. clone when you can. but 95% of the time the reveg works out pretty good. IMHO. not to say there will be NO changes. but the ones you see probably won't affect anything for better or worse. just a lil different. however when you reveg from a plant that is only a few months old (like if your finding a mom fast) than the chances of you seeing more noticable differences goes up a good bit. the good news is post reveg and new clone cycle run, the changes you see SHOULD be positive. ie: better smell and potency. but we all know when dealing with plants- sometimes they surprise you. but if your revegging a plant because say your original mom died, you can expect less variance.

genetic age determining potency seems to have alot more to do with indica and indica dominant hybrids. they seem the most affected. many sativas I've grown flowered from seed were identical to the weed from the mom a year and a half later. it seems the indica doms are the ones that need to wait for the hair on their patch. I know alot of people disagree and its worth noting. this is just my .02

as for the light thing, I've grown under cfls, 250's, 4's. 6's. k's and outdoors and by the time you hit 600w if your getting lower resin amounts from it than a kwatt then u need to change your bulb. I quit using k's because despite them having better light penetration unless your growing a really commercial calyx to leaf ratio strain the canopy will stop it anyway. I switched to cool tubes in 600's before I quit growing and was much happier with my coverage and quality.

and yes, its definitely a nice change to have people talking friendly with each other. too many times I see threads where its like a competition of who can be the biggest asshole. :dueling: which I'm guilty of myself from time to time. :confused:

Last edited:

REZDOG

Veteran
. . . .

Hmmmm....

~Dedicated Breding Facility~

Overhead - Several thousand a month.

Equipment & Supplies - Varies,always more than planned for.

Adversity - Almost constant.

Producing award-winning seeds that give people exactly what they want-

Priceless.

Also i dont want anyone thinking i was hating on DJ short Blueberry. I was initially disappointed buy ther germ ratio but both females were outstanding. One was probably my favorite smoke yet. Thats after smoking it everyday for about 3 months now. I still catch myself dazing out after only a quarter of a joint.

G

please accept my apologies everyone :

in that "most disappointed strains" thread I sounded like an ass.I'v been high on ethanol because of some sore throat.

I actually am very interested in your work rezdog, your strains are just something I dont know yet.Since your c99 or SD doesn't seem to be available I'll order wonder99.Since I have a very little room I'm very picky about what strain I let in.So it will be growing along with my favourite black domina and my locally bred chrystal shiva.

So, no disrespect intended, rock on :)

Now I just hope Gypsy is not mad at me when he receives a cancel order/ new order /

I may not have sounded that high, but 3,5 gramms of ethanol per tea spoon is something

apologies everyone.

Last edited:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
......ethanol?........is that like vegetable gasoline?....

.....I got a little close to the tank when filling it up once at a petrol pump.......so I can just about understand.....lol!

.......no I ain't mad......just a little insane at times....

....Grow On!

Triceratops

I find this to be a very interesting thread that is going on here. I believe there is a lot to learn from a thread like this and i am glad i found it so i can participate.

I am going to have to agree with pike (CBF) on this one. I feel starting 10 seeds and hoping for an outstanding phenotype is expecting WAAAAY too much IMHO. In the last 4 years i have searched through tons of commercial seed stock and i also agree that price has "NOTHING" to do with quality. I never start 10 seeds of one variety, i always start minimum 50 and i try to start more like 100 if my space permits me to. Over the last 4 years i only have one keeper, and i dont even puff it to tell the truth, i use it for commercial purposes.

Now, as for my most disappointing strain. I am going to have to vote for DJ Shorts Blueberry. I am basing this on my experience 2 summers ago when i puffed some OL Blue while i was in oregon. Absolutely INCREDIBLE TASTING HERB! Tasted of warm Blueberry muffins or bluberry cream. From my experience, and i had 22 females from 48 seeds that cracked and NONE of them were remotely close to that of what i tried while in the PNW. Needless to say, i will not be making anymore DJ purchases.

On a final note: I believe that when peeps are selling clones for 1-2k for an outstanding clone mother, it is more then worth it in the long run. The time and money you save, let alone the heartache and disappointment after 3-4 months of growing a strain out speaks volumes in my opinion!

Peace and good grows, Tric

Last edited:

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
you see thats what I'm talkin about. for why people get upset. that is 5 packs of blueberry right there. lets assume he got them dirt cheap at a hundred dollars a pack. thats $500 dollars and he left unsatisfied.

which is one reason to do amature breeding. u make your own and make a billion of them.

as for the clones selling for 1 and 2k. I've heard even higher than that in rumors. I can't blame people though. if someone has a high yielding strain that won't mold, finishes fast, and handles heat while producing AAA bud there are alot of growers in the south that will pay whatever you want for it. a few thousand dollars doesn't mean shit if because of it you don't loose half your harvest to mold.

same thing in the extreme north. they got alot of canucks in the woods that have all the space in the world, but need something commercial that will finish before the frost. the reason m39 caught such a bad wrap is there are two strains called m39. there is one from the old seedbank. (sssc I think) that is fine, and there is one that the bikers used to grow in canada that only took 39 days of flowering. and they'd still harvest it early those fuckers. but they could produce a ton of it.

for other people if you don't grow you don't know. its not uncommon AT ALL to have a pack of seeds and have some of the best weed you'd ever seen. and from another pheno out the same pack have something you can't sell for commercial prices.

I've given people bags of AAA and when they came around again the other pheno but I wouldn't tell them what it was. just because people don't understand and I didn't want to muddy the strains name.

Last edited:
G

motaco said:
you see thats what I'm talkin about. for why people get upset. that is 5 packs of blueberry right there. lets assume he got them dirt cheap at a hundred dollars a pack. thats $500 dollars and he left unsatisfied.

which is one reason to do amature breeding. u make your own and make a billion of them.

for other people if you don't grow you don't know. its not uncommon AT ALL to have a pack of seeds and have some of the best weed you'd ever seen. and from another pheno out the same pack have something you can't sell for commercial prices.

I've given people bags of AAA and when they came around again the other pheno but I wouldn't tell them what it was. just because people don't understand and I didn't want to muddy the strains name.

Yes he was unsatified with the TASTE of the blueberry from what I read.. I could care less which one taste creamier. I am a heavy smoker unlike him (as he stated) so I want potency.. then taste :joint:thats just me

M

Mr. Nevermind

Triceratops said:
I find this to be a very interesting thread that is going on here. I believe there is a lot to learn from a thread like this and i am glad i found it so i can participate.

I am going to have to agree with pike (CBF) on this one. I feel starting 10 seeds and hoping for an outstanding phenotype is expecting WAAAAY too much IMHO. In the last 4 years i have searched through tons of commercial seed stock and i also agree that price has "NOTHING" to do with quality. I never start 10 seeds of one variety, i always start minimum 50 and i try to start more like 100 if my space permits me to. Over the last 4 years i only have one keeper, and i dont even puff it to tell the truth, i use it for commercial purposes.

Now, as for my most disappointing strain. I am going to have to vote for DJ Shorts Blueberry. I am basing this on my experience 2 summers ago when i puffed some OL Blue while i was in oregon. Absolutely INCREDIBLE TASTING HERB! Tasted of warm Blueberry muffins or bluberry cream. From my experience, and i had 22 females from 48 seeds that cracked and NONE of them were remotely close to that of what i tried while in the PNW. Needless to say, i will not be making anymore DJ purchases.

DJ Shorts Breeder Packs

On a final note: I believe that when peeps are selling clones for 1-2k for an outstanding clone mother, it is more then worth it in the long run. The time and money you save, let alone the heartache and disappointment after 3-4 months of growing a strain out speaks volumes in my opinion!

Peace and good grows, Tric

Sounds like you had Dabney Blue from Oregon. Its a clone only fromout there that has the most blueberry taste and smell. Its an awesome plant. You wont ever find something like that in a pack of DJ's

Nevermind

Triceratops

Hi guys!

Let me make another point here if i may. I use between 5-7 grams of cannabis a day. Not sure if that is considered heavey smoker or not, but I did not find any one plant to be anything special from this enitre line. The taste, smell, and high were all mediocre at best if you ask me. I have tried many different strains far superior in all aspects then what i got out of these seeds. Just like i said, there was nothing in any of those packs that was anywhere near what the oregon blueberry was like.

Just my experiences not here to flame anyone or piss anyone off.

Peace, Tric

natefrog

my friend you tried our Ole' Blueberry!!..........i also have never smoked any other BB besides Ole BB that tasted even remotely like blueberries.......it is exquisite herbage........ive only ever had 2 sacks to myself........i have not yet found the clone, but someday i will grow her, just a matter of time..............i am clueless as to why folks dont seem to speak of taste with higher frequency and importance.......it is the first information I look for in a breeder's description or a peer's test grow..........it is my one prerequisite......there are many potent strains.......ditto with yield, smell, vigor, mold, ect............taste is the true rarity.......a topic for another thread maybe, but the truly tasty plants i've found are the ones that stay.......i'm in Pike's camp also as far as seed-pack keepers.......1 or 2 out of 20 30 purchased packs.........nate

natefrog

what?.....your not doing a thing wrong bro......this is why were here.............post on.......nate

by the way, i have also never grown or seen friends grow a tasty BB seed plant.

G

Well that could change real soon.. I am going to drop some Blue Thai (Thai dominate Jack Herer x Thai dominate Oregon blueberry) a Motarebel cross. :wave:

EDIT.. Oh yea and some Reeferman Romulan x Blueberry as well.. :joint:

Last edited:
G

:D Gypsy...yes, it is absolutely the same ethanol as the one researchers started feeding cars with; just that the one in my syrup was extracted from pine trees.-it's plain pure alcohol.

now I'm sober again, there's another point that is definitely important to me : MJ quality has nothing to do with the power of its effects.For instance, a good jamaican or west indies bud (sint Vincent for ie) though they are not "strong", have a taste and effect that are truly delightfull.On another hand, many strong sativa/indica hybrids have an effect that is closer from a mental illness than from something positive.

Looking at the different breeders with the eye of an advertiser, one can imo kindda identify what is the breeder's spirit, through his image, or logo.Therefore that's a hint of what direction that breeder is going, what kind of grass he likes.

In almost each bag of seeds one can find a killer pheno.Going to Holland, meeting the good people that say "join me and try my weed" is definitely the good way to find what is best for you, expensive or not.

From what i have read in this thread, there are a lot of mixed views.

Well whatever............

What i can only say from experience is that you reap what you sow.
I always give my plants much TLC. i have had a few dissapointments, but that's just life. Nothing is PERFECT let alone 100%.

My most dissapointment was growing the HOG from clone.
It smells very nice with great bag appeal, taste is also good. There is a high but not much of a stone.

The girls were vegd for 6 weeks to attain good roots,and i removed all lower branches 7 inches below. Oh my golly, they looked fantastic in bloom, and bwoy the aroma was unbeleaveable. I know that i'd probably been better off if i had flowered for a few days longer.

At the end of the day my view is, if it's won a Cup it does'nt prove anything.
Judges are so busy puffing they don't really JUDGE an individual strain. How can any someone smoke numerous varieties in one sitting and then JUDGE.

In the past i have grown 3 - 8 strains in one go, and have realised to appreciate a plant of variety, you really need too smoke that particular herb for 1 - 4 days to truely understand the experience.