What's new

Your POT soil mix

G

Sounds like good stuff but I would still add maybe a tablespoon of dolomite lime per gallon soil mix,normally your soil ph will drop below 6 in flower if you dont use lime.The lime and oyster shell they use is never enough in my experience.Any mix with peat moss requires dolomite IMO.

sttb

alot of soils theses days have nuteints already in them that release for up to 90 days .so is it safe to use them?

G

Its safe to use them,but I wouldnt recommend it.Preferted soils can do the worst things at the worst times and you have zero control over the situation,I like non-ferted soils so that I can control every aspect of nutritional intake.I'd have no idea how much,when,or if I should use fertilizer when I start with a preferted soil.By the way fox farms ocean forest is not preferted and not too "hot" for seedlings or new clones,its all I ever use for them.For some reason a lot of folks seem to think its preferted because of all the "goodies" it contains.A preferted soil will always have an NPK rating,or they should anyway.F.F marine cuisine is a preferted soil at 10-7-7 I believe,I stay away from it.Even high nitrogen worm castings have an NPK of 1-0-0 normally

G

Skeletor - Marine Cuisine is a DRY FERT MIX. Not a soil. I add it in veg. It works very well. IMVHO most people use too much lime.

G

No shit?Man they got some big bags at the supply house same size as the soil bags

NOKUY

Veteran
strainwhore said:
Skeletor - Marine Cuisine is a DRY FERT MIX. Not a soil. I add it in veg. It works very well. IMVHO most people use too much lime.

MARINE CUISINE is also a time-release fert. Be really careful with it. I have had unbelievable success with it, and I've also had near disasters.

...in fact I don't use it anymore due to the difficulty of "dialing it in"(for me anyway)

on another note....I'm mixing up a new soil batch today for flower (not veg), and for the most part I will be feeding Flora Nova Bloom...so I don't need to make the soil too exciting.

can I get some input on what to leave out for a flower mix, and what ratios to use of whatever is going in?

here is what I have avail. to mix in: (remember these plants are fully vegged, and ready for flower)

sphagnum peat (how much of the twigs and crap do you clean out of this?)
perlite
dol. lime
worm casting
bone meal (6-12-0)
blood meal (12-0-0)
epsom salt (wasn't intending to add this, but have it of course)

I also have maxicrop seaweed to feed for the first half of flower or so.

Thanks guys:wave:
-yukon

while were at it what would be a good veg mix for these components? I do have some plants ready to start veg. as well.

Last edited:

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
I started using Miracle Grow with 3 months of fertilizer premixed from the bag. Over time I have reused the soil, and always recycle the roots from my grows into the soil, toss in the fan leaves at harvest and from time to time the trim from manicuring. I'm sure there's not much of the original fertilizer left since the soil is about three years old. There's also some small gravel and water crystals mixed in with the soil.

Last edited:

gladysvjubb

Veteran
MG Moisture Control

MG Moisture Control

I use MG moisture Control mix exclusively from seed to finish. I never add any additional nutes. The last few waterings I use 1 teaspoon of molasses to 1 gallon of water and it really sweetens up the smoke. Oh yes and all I use is distilled water. No root burn or leaf burn from start to fini. I never check ph and only water when the plant tells me to. Nice product.

70% Fox Fram Ocean Soil. 30% Pro-Mix. Thats it. No 3 page mixes.

miracle grow = cheap fungus gnat infected, crap soil.

Last edited:

1stimer

I use 1 part Scott's Super Soil (2 CU Ft bag), 1 part Kellogg's EnRich (aprox 2 CU FT), 1 cup blood meal, 4 table spoons of seaweed extract (the brand I have is pretty hot 0-0-16), 1 bag of MG perlite (it's all I can find), Sprinkle in some Hydrated lime (The HD around here doesn't have Dolomite Lime), and add about a handful of epsome salts.

The last batch of soil I did I added 1 cup of bone meal, 1/2 a cup of Holland Bulb booster, and 1 cup of Epsoma plant tone. It seems to working good so far. :rasta:

bdolla13

im goin soiless, stayin neutral as possible.40%peat,30%perlite,10%vermic,10%wormcasting,10%hydroton for some stability down there

W

WheelsOG

Some complex looking mixes out there.

For now i'm just using a simple mix:

1 part potting soil
1 part perlite

:)

Then i feed with Advanced Nutrient 3 part ferts

So far so good, but i'm sure i'll expand on this mix in the future as i get more comfortable with growing.

Is it a big deal if my FFOF soil dries out prior to tossing it in the 2 gl bags ??? Well actually i've had soil sitting in 2 gl bags for about a week standing in the free-air waiting for the transplant in a few days.

I think i may have made a mistake by doing this b/c some beneficial micro-organisms, etc. may possible die if the soil dries out,right ??

Also, if i PH down the water (using liquid ph down) prior to watering my soil babies, am i able to re-use my soil for a next grow or since i didn't use potash and dolomite lime to ph i now have to pitch this batch??

Wheels - i'm doing the same until i'm sure i have all the semantics dialed in

Last edited:
I don't understand how in the hell anyone could possibly pull a whole grow off, especially indoors, with Miracle Grow Moisture Control. I bought a small bag of this crap just to see what it was all about and planted some basil in it. My girlfriend used the rest for some house plants. I swear that none of the plants that had any MG moisture control in it ever dried out once! Every last plant that had that shit in it died due to root rot!! I've never seen anything like it! I've banned Miracle grow completely since!

Also, to anyone using Miracle Grow Perlite in an organic soil mix must be out of their mind! Every bag of MG perlite I see has an NPK rating with time release synthetic ferts added in! That defeats the purpose of your live soil mixes! Not to many living organisms can survive those types of salts all over the place!.

And to all the peat based growers, you should really check out Coir based mediums instead of all this peat! IMHO, everyone who grows anything should completely boycot peat based soils. The diminishing rate of natural occuring peat due to manufacturing purposes is getting ridiculous. All you organic heads should seriously think twice about using any amount of peat at all. It may be organic in nature, but the idea of our peat moss bogs dissapearing isn't natural at all!

Peace and Pot

something vague said:
I don't understand how in the hell anyone could possibly pull a whole grow off, especially indoors, with Miracle Grow Moisture Control. I bought a small bag of this crap just to see what it was all about and planted some basil in it. My girlfriend used the rest for some house plants. I swear that none of the plants that had any MG moisture control in it ever dried out once! Every last plant that had that shit in it died due to root rot!! I've never seen anything like it! I've banned Miracle grow completely since!

Also, to anyone using Miracle Grow Perlite in an organic soil mix must be out of their mind! Every bag of MG perlite I see has an NPK rating with time release synthetic ferts added in! That defeats the purpose of your live soil mixes! Not to many living organisms can survive those types of salts all over the place!.

And to all the peat based growers, you should really check out Coir based mediums instead of all this peat! IMHO, everyone who grows anything should completely boycot peat based soils. The diminishing rate of natural occuring peat due to manufacturing purposes is getting ridiculous. All you organic heads should seriously think twice about using any amount of peat at all. It may be organic in nature, but the idea of our peat moss bogs dissapearing isn't natural at all!

Peace and Pot
me either lol why in the hell would u wanna grow GREENS in that shit neways?? Its like a waste of money but if it works i guess do ur thing

Graffiti

I was drawn towards this thread because of my ignorance on the subject. damn, don't I feel like a douche,:pointlaug I've been using the miracle grow moisture control shit and just sprouted 7 Big Buds and 4 bagseeds in it. I wonder if that is why they haven't been shall we say 'living up to their potential' so far (3 weeks veg). I just got some perlite i was going to use for my wick cloner, would adding some of that now help prevent root rot? :)confused:<---noob talking) Or should you not even fuck with your soil once it's in the pot with shit growing out of it?

I never gave it much thought but I assumed that the more complicated soil mixes were generally for organic growers, or outdoor growers, I'm probably wrong tho... so much to read...