What's new

why? Jacks and calcium nitrate

pjlive

This absolutely helps, my friend! I appreciate the information. I've never grown in peat mixes indoors before, always coco. When I first started this journey I read coco grows plants faster, so I never tried peat.. it may be time now!. I have a shit ton of peat, vermiculite, perlite,and lime for some outdoor veggies I was playing with. At some point I'm definitely going to try a peat mix, possibly equal parts of those ingredients for sufficient quicker drainage?. Care to share your mix and how often your feeding? I feed 5 times a day on a pump with coco. I know that's not the way way to run peat tho. I'm still a full blown hydro virgin too. Lol. So much to do, so little time lol
Sure thing. If you'd like, keep your peepers every now and again on the auto-flower grow I have in progress. I'll be listing the content of my pot including amendments. It's pretty far off from what you might read about. However, it's a damn good mix and I've modified it slightly to accommodate the autos. I use a slightly different pot mix for photos. I'm definitely not one to try to sway folks on the media they enjoy using, but as far as peat based mixes go, this one is by far the best I've every used after years of playing around with it on an amateur indoor scale.

George

Gypsum is soooooo cheap to top it off as well. I found 50lb sacks for 15 bucks online, but don't want to pay 75 for thr shipping lol. The home brew shop has is it for 2 bucks a pound. That'll do for a good long time at half gram a gallon.

As for the boron equation which I just learned about...

The full strength Masterblend ive been running at 2.5g is 1.32 ppm boron, with 2.5g Calnit(119ppm) and random supplements of gypsum. So according to the equation, Masterblend has 2x the amount of Boron. My question is will that be problematic at some point? I actually gave this run a .01g MOST boost for a couple weeks in the beginning, and absolutely saw negative results I wasn't used to seeing. I went waaaay over with the micros and now I completely understand why.

By the way, the girls on the numbers you came up with are looking amazing. I'm going to be flipping those in a week or so. I'm still trying to figure what numbers I'm going to run after stretch. Nitrogen drop of course, but still deciding what to do what potassium. I've never ran it this low in coco, and have boosted with MKP in the past up to about 250. I may just run the full strength Masterblend as a potassium boost at end 208ppm. I kinda have ADD when I'm crunching these numbers lol. I may want something different tomorrow lol. I sure wish I had 20 different spots to watch such minute changes in nutrient formulas, and the way the girls handle it in REAL time. As fast as they grow, they are still too slow lol
Absolutely, we tend to overlook the micros but it seems that micros are almost more important than macros or at least have bigger toxicity effects as you saw. That's one of the things that stick out to me between jacks and the masterblens. The MB has much higher micro levels to start.

Since we deal with coco we also have some odd properties to deal with and it also depends on the coco brand you use. Depending on the cec and OM measured in the coco we will have certain micros like Manganese lock onto the organic matter (OM) and become unavailable. I saw a test kn Canna coco that said it had 80% OM while Bcuzz coco had some 30-40% which means they would need different amounts of micro and maybe even the ratios if you really want to optimize. On top of that the coco itself has some micros hiding in it. Slownickel also said iron and manganese tox looks identical. Without testing were almost running at full speed in a very dimly lit room. Coco is a foul beast! Lol

Last edited:

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
the lack of nh4 in jack's calcinit is the reason i use yara liva brand calcinit, which contains 1% nh4 and 14.5% no3.

right now i'm running 3.6/1.2/2.4 jack's, mag, and calcinit under 1500-1800 umols of lght flow in a ppk hydro system.

the plants are almost perfect. editing to say that i tried to quote Georges' post where he mentions the lack of nh4 in jacks.

i'm buying 50 lb bags for 19 bucks.

also, i strongly recommend fulvic acid and kelp powder premixed into the jack's feed. these 2 additions aid nutrient uptake.

Attachments

• IMG_1197.JPG
    IMG_1197.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 105
Last edited:

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
because you are talking about coco and jack's i will offer a little advice.

for the last 3 years i designed, built, and then directed operations for a full on ppk style recirculating, closed loop hydroponic warehouse. 10k sq ft total.

i used prococo chips and fiber very successfully after giving it a 3 day soak in an ec 4 jack's nutrient solution.

the normal ratio just very strong.

after the soak it was just lifted out of the soaking containers and used with no rinse and no drying down.

pjlive

the lack of nh4 in jack's calcinit is the reason i use yara liva brand calcinit, which contains 1% nh4 and 14.5% no3.

right now i'm running 3.6/1.2/2.4 jack's, mag, and calcinit under 1500-1800 umols of lght flow in a ppk hydro system.

the plants are almost perfect. editing to say that i tried to quote Georges' post where he mentions the lack of nh4 in jacks.

i'm buying 50 lb bags for 19 bucks.

also, i strongly recommend fulvic acid and kelp powder premixed into the jack's feed. these 2 additions aid nutrient uptake.
I have a couple of questions if you don't mind answering. About how much fulvic acid are you adding and what type of delivery system are you using?

Thanks for posting what you're actually doing here.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
ok, well, i'm using 1ml per gallon of mr fulvic.

1/2 tsp of maxicrop soluble seaweed powder per 30 gal batch.

i'm using a version of the ppk hydroponic flow pattern.

this consists of 24/7 sub-irrigation/drain combined with a timed, quantified, pulsed, top feed.

full recirculating with no drain to waste and no water changes during a grow.

input only.

the medium consists of almost 100% perlite with a topping of worm castings which is worked into the perlite wet.

and then, a topping of the same volume of vermiculite with 10% diatomaceous earth. this can be applied dry but should be worked in slightly. not as deep as the worm castings (2-3") but about half as deep.

this topping combination adds significant cec to the perlite which is practically devoid of cec.

here are a few pics of right now. the above pic was last week which was the end of week two of flower. today is exactly 3 weeks.

editing to replace fuzzy pic with one only slightly better and to say that the strain is ethos orange kush cake.

also i just checked the recirculating solution for the first time in a week. it is reading 1420 ppm at the .5 conversion or a little over ec 2.8.

5.8 ph and 1750 umols of light flow in the middle going out to about 1500 at the edges.

this is all normal in a ppk device. the solution is strongly pulled downward in strength until about the middle of the 3rd week at which point it will start accumulating nutrients.

the feed barrel is empty so i will reload with a solution strength of about 850 ppm.

Attachments

• IMG_1205.JPG
    IMG_1205.JPG
    8.2 MB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1208.JPG
    IMG_1208.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1211.JPG
    IMG_1211.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1207.JPG
    IMG_1207.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 151
  • IMG_1213.JPG
    IMG_1213.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 157
Last edited:

pjlive

ok, well, i'm using 1ml per gallon of mr fulvic.

1/2 tsp of maxicrop soluble seaweed powder per 30 gal batch.

i'm using a version of the ppk hydroponic flow pattern.

this consists of 24/7 sub-irrigation/drain combined with a timed, quantified, pulsed, top feed.

full recirculating with no drain to waste and no water changes during a grow.

input only.

the medium consists of almost 100% perlite with a topping of worm castings which is worked into the perlite wet.

and then, a topping of the same volume of vermiculite with 10% diatomaceous earth. this can be applied dry but should be worked in slightly. not as deep as the worm castings (2-3") but about half as deep.

this topping combination adds significant cec to the perlite which is practically devoid of cec.

here are a few pics of right now. the above pic was last week which was the end of week two of flower. today is exactly 3 weeks.

editing to replace fuzzy pic with one only slightly better and to say that the strain is ethos orange kush cake.
First off, thank you very much for all the detailed information. You have a very nice set-up. Plants look very healthy and happy to me, too.

I need to do some more research on the use of fulvic acid. I'm using a different set-up entirely on a somewhat smaller scale. But I have come across others who've used it and have wondered about its use before without ever looking into it more deeply. It reads to me like you've been with it for a while and that makes me feel confident about what you've presented.

Hey, thanks again. And very best on this and future grows of yours.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
you're all quite welcome! i am the inventor of the ppk hydro system.

i will get about 2.5 lbs of dense flower with this plant. it's not a great yielder but it's a great smoke. imagine a ripe valencia orange with chem d undertones.

this is a test system for a much larger future build. i'm in an ancient, drafty, old farmhouse temporarily while i build a home.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
i see i forgot to mention the name of the plant. it's ethos orange kush cake. this pheno tends to purple. i have grown it once before as part of a pheno hunt. this is the chosen one. the first time i have run it alone

Attachments

• IMG_1213 (2).JPG
    IMG_1213 (2).JPG
    437.6 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

George

looking good @delta9nxs I have some photos of my girls with my veg mix im real happy with but can't seem to get them loaded. Hopefully soon but you can see my frustration in my previous post after 19 minutes of trying 😑

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
sorry for the delay but we had a funeral to attend.

here are a few pics of today. 33 days into flower.

weeks 1-3 were at the 3-2-1 dose. week 4 i ran a 30 gal can of 3.6-2.4-1.8. i have a very powerful experimental light and it was driving these plants hard.

at the 3-2-1 dose, the plants were almost fluorescent green. they looked like they needed a little more nitrogen so the next 30 gal load at the full strength dose turned them a more normal color.

nutrient strength must be adjusted to light intensity.

normally i don't drain the solution but this time i drained at the end of week four and went to the experimental bloom boosting formula of 4-2-.5.

it has been in effect for five days at the time of this pic.

i will run it to the end of week 6 and drain and refill one more time.

this time with 2.7-1.8-.9

only the refill and one 30 gal load.

then induce a near-total lockout by using nothing but tap water without ph adjustment.

i'm using the 8 on/16 off light schedule i think i mentioned earlier.

i am delivering approx 45-50 moles of light per diurnal period.

i am growing some of the healthiest, dankest plants i've ever grown.

i am now positive the fulvic formula is aiding nutrient uptake. probably by chelation.

editing to say: blow up the last pic!

Attachments

• IMG_1218.JPG
    IMG_1218.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1217.JPG
    IMG_1217.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1216.JPG
    IMG_1216.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 140

Miraculous Meds

sorry for the delay but we had a funeral to attend.

here are a few pics of today. 33 days into flower.

weeks 1-3 were at the 3-2-1 dose. week 4 i ran a 30 gal can of 3.6-2.4-1.8. i have a very powerful experimental light and it was driving these plants hard.

at the 3-2-1 dose, the plants were almost fluorescent green. they looked like they needed a little more nitrogen so the next 30 gal load at the full strength dose turned them a more normal color.

nutrient strength must be adjusted to light intensity.

normally i don't drain the solution but this time i drained at the end of week four and went to the experimental bloom boosting formula of 4-2-.5.

it has been in effect for five days at the time of this pic.

i will run it to the end of week 6 and drain and refill one more time.

this time with 2.7-1.8-.9

only the refill and one 30 gal load.

then induce a near-total lockout by using nothing but tap water without ph adjustment.

i'm using the 8 on/16 off light schedule i think i mentioned earlier.

i am delivering approx 45-50 moles of light per diurnal period.

i am growing some of the healthiest, dankest plants i've ever grown.

i am now positive the fulvic formula is aiding nutrient uptake. probably by chelation.

editing to say: blow up the last pic!
Yeah but you got any of them good genetics in there yet? 😉 Killing it amigo!

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
hey, buddy, i'll be calling soon! my wife's mother passed away and we are tying up loose ends for the family.

i'll be running the rare lemonhead cut next. i've been growing it out for clones. tight nodal structure on this one.

stinks really good!

it's in a 1/2 gal container. the pvc frames are 50" across for reference.

i've cut it back like a hedge 2 times and it comes right back. about to take 50 cuts

Attachments

• IMG_1222.JPG
    IMG_1222.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1223.JPG
    IMG_1223.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1224.JPG
    IMG_1224.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 113