What's new

When do I cut the flowers with seeds???

1G12

Do seeds store long term without oxygen?

I can't remember reading that but, I have read a lot of posts in the past years.
You will trap air & thus oxygen in the jar when you put the lid on.
Other than that, I've always wondered if spraying a CO2 wine preservative into the seed jar to displace the O2 would help or hurt long term storage. I decided to NOT try it just in case it hurts things.
So far, so good. :woohoo:

ibjamming

Veteran
You will trap air & thus oxygen in the jar when you put the lid on.
Other than that, I've always wondered if spraying a CO2 wine preservative into the seed jar to displace the O2 would help or hurt long term storage. I decided to NOT try it just in case it hurts things.
So far, so good. :woohoo:

Nitrogen is used as a preservative atmosphere...if you can find a tank of that...

vicious bee

I did a shit load of research on storing seeds and pollen. I read all kinds of pages on antique preservation and seed banks. The bottom line is low moisture. Below 5-7%. I studied all kinds of desiccants and found the old standard works good. Dried white rice. To come to this conclusion I put rice and wheat flour in a small Goodwill special toaster oven at a low temperature for three days. The rice and flour were in small jelly mason jars. The temperature was not so hot you couldn't handle it with your hands but also couldn't hold it for more than 5 seconds. My vagueness about the temperature is because I put an oven temperature gauge in with them and it never read. It started at 175 F. So the temperature was not that hot. After drying I immediately added one digital and one analog humidity meter to each jar. The jars were then sealed. I left them for two days and then read the humidity. It was less than 5%. So I now have flour and rice already sealed in jars for my pollen and seeds. After I open them a few times I put the open jars back into the toaster to make sure they stay dry.