What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What TDS Meter Would You Recommend For Checking PPM of 30 Gallon Reservoir?

MajorGrindage

I dont need anything fancy like a bluelabs, but if you guys think something like a bluelabs guardian is the best then id consider buying one.

Even just a simple TDS pen would be fine with me, i just want to make sure i get a brand/model that has been proven to give accurate reading.

I have heard Apera makes good pens, but there are so many model numbers im not sure which one to get.

Thanks in advance for any help, it is much appreciated!

Dime

Truncheon quick dip

Sorry these are blue lab but worth it. I had one and it's worked for 25 years

Attachments

• s-l1600-784059243.jpg
    s-l1600-784059243.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 11

FletchF.Fletch

420club
Agreed. @MajorGrindage , it is better to start a single thread and wait for answers, than it is to start multiple threads asking the same question. If it takes a while to get any answers you can bump your own thread. Someone helpful will usually find it. Knowing which subforum to ask in will come with time.

I use a cheapo HM Digital to measure EC, tds, ppm . I have used the Bluelab truncheon with great results too. Apera makes good quality meters also.

growsjoe1

Premium user
Veteran
I use a Bluelab truncheon. I've used others. It seems to me that I've spent more on replacing other meters for either not reading correctly over time or they just stop working. I've had a truncheon for 4 years and I still trust the readings.

stiff

Veteran
I'm using the bluelab ph pen..works alright since three years now. Whatever you buy..don't forget the calibration fluids. You'll need to calibrate them monthly..and for most ph sticks you'll need storage solution too. Buy it all in one shot not to pay twice

MajorGrindage

Truncheon quick dip

Sorry these are blue lab but worth it. I had one and it's worked for 25 years
I went ahead and bought one of the truncheons.

I have 2 questions for you if you dont mind:

1.Do you clean it regularly, and if so, how? I found this bluelab cleaning kit: https://bluelab.com/usa/bluelab-probe-care-kit-conductivity do you think that is the best option for cleaning it?

2. Do you need to calibrate the truncheon when you get it/every once in a while? Or does it come calibrated and stay calibrated?

Thank you so much for the help! I have confidence the truncheon is going to be a great pen.

MajorGrindage

Agreed. @MajorGrindage , it is better to start a single thread and wait for answers, than it is to start multiple threads asking the same question. If it takes a while to get any answers you can bump your own thread. Someone helpful will usually find it. Knowing which subforum to ask in will come with time.

I use a cheapo HM Digital to measure EC, tds, ppm . I have used the Bluelab truncheon with great results too. Apera makes good quality meters also.
Sorry about that. I figured posting in multiple sub forums could possibly get me a higher number of opinions, but ill be sure to not do that in the future.

1.Do you clean it regularly, and if so, how? I found this bluelab cleaning kit: https://bluelab.com/usa/bluelab-probe-care-kit-conductivity do you think that is the best option for cleaning it?

2. Do you need to calibrate the truncheon when you get it/every once in a while? Or does it come calibrated and stay calibrated?

Thank you so much for the help! I have confidence the truncheon is going to be a great pen.

MajorGrindage

I use a Bluelab truncheon. I've used others. It seems to me that I've spent more on replacing other meters for either not reading correctly over time or they just stop working. I've had a truncheon for 4 years and I still trust the readings.

MajorGrindage

I'm using the bluelab ph pen..works alright since three years now. Whatever you buy..don't forget the calibration fluids. You'll need to calibrate them monthly..and for most ph sticks you'll need storage solution too. Buy it all in one shot not to pay twice
I decided to go with a bluelabs truncheon TDS meter, it seems like bluelabs is the most trusted brand so i figured i might as well.

I have 3 questions for you if you dont mind:

1. Do you recommend calibrating my tds meter (truncheon) regularly too, or only the ph pen? I am unable to find calibration fluid for the truncheon, so if you could link me to it, it would be much appreciated. I do not need PH solutions because i will be growing organically so theres no need to PH.

2. Do you clean it regularly, and if so, how? I found this bluelab cleaning kit: https://bluelab.com/usa/bluelab-probe-care-kit-conductivity do you think that is the best option for cleaning it?

3. Do you need to calibrate the tds meter (truncheon) when you get it/every once in a while? Or does it come calibrated and stay calibrated?

stiff

Veteran
I don't know about the truncheon. Just follow the bluelab guidelines.
To clean the probe of the ph pen I use a soft toothbrush and store it in the storage solution. They come with a cap for the probe which has got a tiny cup for the solution inside, once closed the prob sits in that and you can hang it headover on a hook.
Every now and then you gotta calibrate the ec pen too..but a lot less than the ph probe

Dime

Hi, I never cleaned mine or had to calibrate it, I just rinsed it in plain water. I think you could steel wool or fine grit sandpaper the contacts if needed if salts accumulate but I never had issues.