What's new

UVB bulbs...

N707

why are you using the terms DE halogen and hqi interchangeably? they are not the same...i have never seen a halogen with a ballast....i know that the lamps you are talking about have the same bulb holder but you can't just put an hgi hid lamp in there and turn the thing on....i have made many diy hqi fixtures using non-brand name bulbs and you are still looking at minimally 60 bucks for a bulb and ballast.....are you talking about hqi's or halogens?? their spectral output will be VERY different and halogens will be throwing many more watts of infrared than an hid of the same wattage....please clarify....if you can find me a true hqi lamp assembly for 40 bucks i will eat my shoe....your link doesnt work...

XM HQIs are about $40-60 for the 150's, osram makes a 150 watt single end bulb for about $30 and when you buy fixtures that include it they are even cheaper. Those are true HQI's, in every sense of the tecnical term and the osrams can sometimes be found at hardware stores or even general stores for $30 or under. I just froogled them and only found the $40+ versions.

I don't need you to eat your shoe bro, its okay.....here....*tosses infectualize some edibles...= P*
Take a DE HQI to a hardware store and check out some of the DE bulbs they have in the work lamps, yes the high intensity hids, or in some cases the actual 70 watt HQI lamps.
And btw, yes you can slap an HQI in some of the work lamp fixtures, Ive done it afew times at shows for vendors with different work lights. Alot of the newer ones have the cheap chinese electronic smart ballasts in them, they will arc the lamp and keep it burning without damaging it. I'm not sure if I stilll have it but I had a nice bright green tripod work light that I ran a 150 in for a couple years for a holding tank at my old job. We aare definatley visualising seperate or perhaps specific models in our own minds, hence the discrepency....
I do say this though, that is absolutley at your own risk. If it is a magnetic ballast (takes the back of the fixture apart, coil = magnetic...imsure you know that though) compare the stats to your ballast (this obviously does not apply if you have an e) and that will help you find one that will fire your lamp. I've popped a couple lamps with bad experiments. Anywho, I would beg to differ just slightly but absolutley see your point. I wasnt saying that HQI's are the same as halogen de's, yet they do happen to be similar of the needs for arching with the high intesity models and can run interchangably....a point I had not brought up previously to avoid futher confusion.

The firing mechanics are a bit different but they emit roughly the same par (K is off in many, gotta hunt for the nice 10-14k) in some cases and have the same actual metals in general with some exceptions.

If it is a HID, it has a bnallast, trust me. Event he little CFL's have a tiny ballas built into the base.
I never siad that the bulbs are interchangable, but the parts of the fixtures are...right down to the ceramic sockets and contact pins. HQI's are a type of high intensity discharge lamp.....there are HID halogens but once they slap an extra gas in there they relabel the lamp and rearange the firing order of the filament, they dont have "halogen" slapped on the box, they say hid for marketing purposes.
Goto homedepot check out the lighting department, dont bother asking the employees anything more than where things are....there heads spin around then they siezure.
Im really not sure what the point of your post is....if it is to say that HQI's and the high intensity halogens are not similar..then...well I guess you could speculate in that filed as thats true in a way. The point I was making is that they are both suitable for growing little personal stuff, or to experiment the UVB output with. Not that HQI's are the same thing as halogens, if that is what you got out of it I appoogise for not being mroe clear.
Main point reiterated one mo gen'.......
HQI's, "high intesity" halogens, halogen modified bulbs labeled HID for marketing prposes, and hybrid lamps are all suitable to grow with to an extent in certain applications.
The conclusion I sort of got at is that the HQI's (and most of the higher intensity double ended lamps) give off the nicest range of UV.

N707

They use the same ballast formats and are interchangable all teh way down to the ceramic sockets.

Ah, my bad. I did come off as ifthey were all "interchangable". I regress, there are certain models that come with ballasts suitable for arching and burning them. = )

hey n707 thanks for clarifying i think we are in the same court now! i was just in my room last night and i am running an un-uv shielded 250 hqi (pretty far up from the plants) and the plants directly under it a have a different smell than the same clones that are not under it....kinda interesting!

A

arcticsun

i have added a 400W blue specter hpi to my 2x600w hps setup and the ladies are lovin it

N707

That's always good. I found the same thing with my HQI's with acros, always much more dense skeletons than under mogul base mh's or other lighting. Hopefully I can get around to doing some detailed comparisons with using UVB, other UV spectrums, and HQI's in grows. A nice side by side of different supplemental lighting techniques would be interesting to say the least.
Is that tubing you have cooling the HQI plain ol 1/4 ro line? I tried similar pc cooling stuff and always got a horendous chemical smell from the heated tubgin...how are yours?

A

arcticsun

its not hooked up to any cooling atm. im waiting for a 400w digital ballast for that reflector, once that arrives i will hook up a vent hose on that lamp

no that is high temperature teflon coil....i later scrapped that for two inch pyrex sheath sealed and plumbed directly onto the bulb!!!! now that is some crazing hacking there....ran it closed loop through a radiator/fan......i am still playing with water cooling....super fun and super efficient!

A couple of weeks into the UVB test. The jury is still out, and this is a preliminay test...but it seems to have had an effect on taste and trichomes. Smells the same, tho. Wasn't enough to cure, and buds were seeded anyway. (on purpose) Same couchlock buzz, too. (no discernable difference, but it's only been a couple of weeks)

To me, the plant is reacting well to the light, and is the only one in my garden showing prodigious trichome growth on the leaf underside. (no UVB reaches under the leaves, unless it's reflected, or penetrates the leaf) This usually happens a few more weeks down the line, but the other thing I've noticed, is the premature "aging" of the leaves. It isn't leaf damage, so much as an apparent structural change. They look stockier, a tad smaller, and leaf edge slightly curls upwards. Will have to start from the 12/12 switch, on a couple of clones...to get a better, more realistic opinion.

My initial reaction...it's worth continuing the tests.

picture.php

earthbob

I like how you describe the "apparent structural change" in the leaves and from the pic I see what you mean. I think that the uvb that I used had a similar effect. Sorry but I can't post pics.

N707

A couple of weeks into the UVB test. The jury is still out, and this is a preliminay test...but it seems to have had an effect on taste and trichomes. Smells the same, tho. Wasn't enough to cure, and buds were seeded anyway. (on purpose) Same couchlock buzz, too. (no discernable difference, but it's only been a couple of weeks)

To me, the plant is reacting well to the light, and is the only one in my garden showing prodigious trichome growth on the leaf underside. (no UVB reaches under the leaves, unless it's reflected, or penetrates the leaf) This usually happens a few more weeks down the line, but the other thing I've noticed, is the premature "aging" of the leaves. It isn't leaf damage, so much as an apparent structural change. They look stockier, a tad smaller, and leaf edge slightly curls upwards. Will have to start from the 12/12 switch, on a couple of clones...to get a better, more realistic opinion.

My initial reaction...it's worth continuing the tests.

Nice! Im dyin to get my tests rollin. Ill have afew setups ready for charting and logging in a month or so.
I think the general consensus so far ranges from a bit of an increase to total trichrome madness.
Also Ive seen a correlation in internobdal spacing...ie stockier plants. Im very cuirous to see what a nice Satvia strain would end up like under high UVA,B,and a bit of C exposure in a controlled side by.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
anyone finished a test with uvb yet, i was in the pet store yesterday and i saw the cheapest uvb a 2ft t8 was $26 youch. thats a little steep for a theoretical gain.

earthbob

Yes bonghits, a few of us have finished tests. Sam the Skunkman, Sunnydog and myself have not noticed an improvement. Others say that aromas are improved. Herbalistic says that he gets a "deeper stone" out his uvb treated weed. There does not seem to be a definate answer.

From my own experience the plant ripened faster. My theory is that uvb may appear to be beneficial in some cases.

has anyone actually tested the uvb levels that you are getting at leaf level?? i dabble with reptiles and we tested many of these "uvb" fluorescents and cfls and some showed NO measurable uvb, and the ones that did dropped off so quickly it warranted them nearly useless.....i am running an unshielded 250 hqi and tomorrow i am getting a REAL UVB meter to see what is hitting the plant....the clone that is directly under the lamp is noticeably frostier, but who knows, there are so many variables...

earthbob

infectualize, I do not have a uv meter but I feel pretty good about my results. I took clones from a flowering white widow. These clones stayed very short - only about 3 inches tall but with a fully developed bud. Two clones were placed under a 26W 10.0 uvb cfl and the other two were placed under a 26W warm white cfl. The cfl's were about 3 inches above the clones which also recieved HPS lighting in equal amounts.