What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Urine as a Fertilizer... an OG refugee thread

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
15:1 is the ratio for straight, fresh urine. I have no idea what you'd use for leeched drippings.

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
*cringe*

man o mandy do i remember this thread from OverGrow said to myself back then and still do today NO way lol. i'll be smokeing this along with my friends and just the thought of my watered down urine being used as a fert is just well yall know. dont get me wrong i'm a cherap a$$ also but i would rater give my babies
liquide karma
diamond necture
seaweed extract cold processed kelp
pure blend pro grow
calmag+
and dash of sweet during veg

not my urine lmao blows my mind every time i've read this thread thought i would reply

right on for yall doing this to each thier own :)

NiteTiger

Veteran
One of the oldest fertilizers in the world Maj. :D Farmers would collect the urine in large basins surrounded by flowers.

Guess they had the same issue with collection and storage that I did LOL.

It is a viable fert none the less. I don't use it because I find keeping a bottle of FloraNova Bloom on the shelf a bit easier, and less odorous too :biglaugh:

green_grow

Veteran
i guess it depends on how big your grow is and how much urine you are using, but i have no odour problem at all with my little grow. fresh urine watered down at 10:1 or so and used immediately doesnt stink at all. to me, it is the ultimate in convenience ... piss in a container, add water, check/adjust ph, feed plant(s), rinse container ... bobs yer uncle !

G

The stuff works great. I learned about it from Foto420's thread on O.G. The plants get green and nearly glow with the nitrogen uptake.

Hint: use it fresh. If you're gonna store it you have to freeze it or else it's gonna be a bummer.

NiteTiger

Veteran
green_grow said:
i guess it depends on how big your grow is and how much urine you are using, but i have no odour problem at all with my little grow. fresh urine watered down at 10:1 or so and used immediately doesnt stink at all. to me, it is the ultimate in convenience ... piss in a container, add water, check/adjust ph, feed plant(s), rinse container ... bobs yer uncle !

Exactly how I used it. When I had just a coupla little plants, it was perfect. When I got to the point I was doing 5 gallons of solution at a time, I had to find a new way, because my supply just couldn't keep up :D

No stink when used fresh, but if you get to the point where you're having to gather for later use, it starts to get ripe LOL

M

mallyone

green_grow said:
... piss in a container, add water, check/adjust ph, feed plant(s), rinse container ...

That's sounding a bit "Trailer Park Boys" :). With all those piss containers Ricky's dad had, they had a lifetime of nutes :).

green_grow

Veteran
i guess i am going to have to pump up the size of my grow a wee bit ... i am literally pissing away perfectly good plant food !

M

mallyone

I had been talking to my girlfriend about urine and the idea's behind it but I took it one step farther today by coming out of the washroom with a jug under arm. Giggling like a school girl I explained that I am making pee nutes part of our reality since my bloom nutes are almost gone and the ladies are drinking like lushes. She's.... ummm.... supportive-ish :).

Going to try it on a sparse plant in organic soil to break down the urea and look into fermenting it for the coco ladies... I'll let people know how it goes...

A side note, was curious about being able to pull your DNA from from the plant fertilized with urine. A little peep around turns up that there are ways to pull DNA from urine, but there is very little there to begin with as the pee gets processed. I have no idea how the DNA in cells gets consumed by the plant.

I'm not at all worried about this, but you know how the mind wanders :)

m1...

*edit*
sorry to bombard the thread but I am truly fascinated by this. I was reading the links originally posted and it mentioned that too much nitrogen could possibly inhibit bloom? With that possibility, I'm wondering if maybe a non-fermented vitamin pee (in proper ratio) used during bloom in soilless (coco) might work?

Last edited:
M

mallyone

Gave a thirsty girl some of my natural nutrient (that sentence is just plain wrong). She was slightly thirsty and starting to sag a bit but perked right up after an approximated 12:1 ph balanced delicious drink. I'm probably just seeing things, but it really does look like she got greener today. Probably too early for the urea to be gobbled and turned into the nitro-gen :). I'll snap some pic's when I have time, between the ladies and work I have 0 time left :(.

Oh, and let 10% run off, took a quick wiff and honestly, didn't smell a thing. Again, when time permits going to do some fermentation for the coco girls.

m1...

NiteTiger

Veteran
Actually, it's not too early. Urea's nitrogen is in the most available form for plant uptake, if I remember correctly. Plus, whenever a hungry plant gets food, it immediately begins going, and it does its job well :D

so a feeding plan of just urine and water + ph up/down can actually produce really good nugs? it doesn't need anything else? that's just crazy to me

green_grow

Veteran

i understand your skepticism ... in this age of packaged everything we have forgotten that plants thrived quite well without our help for million of years . of course like all gardeners we are trying to improve on nature by providing optimum growing conditions and feedings.

this plant grew in recycled soil and was fed only water/urine . as you can see it is (was) healthy and flowering quite nicely.

NuggyBuds

Wow!!
I've been away for quite a while, and i'm glad that this thread has recently fostered some good discussion.

NiteTiger. Thanks for answering questions.

Green grow. nice plants!

mallyone.
I'm glad you are so factinated about it. I noticed you've mentioned your bloom nutes are running out and your are going to supliment with urine. I feel obligated to mention (as I see you've noted) that high nitrogen rates feed in bloom can inhibit flowering. I would recomend that you use urine in lower consentrations, say 20:1, and using wood ash to add some P and K or if you can some Bone meal/ash. having said that I've gone through an entire grow with urine only and had some success.

Currently however I use a mix of fermented urine, nettle tea, and molassas, in veg. And I use a lower urine concentration, wood ash, bone ash, and molassas in Bloom.

As for DNA, I find that very hard to belive it could be taken up... but hey what do I know. lol

NiteTiger

Veteran
Good info on adjusting that for flowering NuggyBuds!

And yeah, molasses is good stuff, especially in mid to late flower.

Latest posts

Latest posts