What's new

The St.'s 150watt hps cab

The St.

well, here it is, my 150 watt hps grow cabinet. i made it out of an old dresser. the inside dimensions are 14.5"dx33"wx32"h. i have a 150w hps and a 42 watt cfl for seedling vegging, and ill probably leave it in there for all of vegging and flowering as well (maybe add a few???).i have a small cpu fan cooling the cfl. i have another fan i picked up cheap which i will be using as an exhaust fan for now. a true air carbon filter will be used for odor problems.(hopefully this is enough, if not, ill upgrade.) i will be using an organic soil mix of my own, roughly based on Soma's mix from his book, that consists of bat and seabird guano, perlite, pro-mix bx, and a few other thngs. i will be feeding them as needed with guano tea, superthrive, fish/seaweed fert. sounds like alot, but its worked great!
the seeds are bagseed from some good nugs i got. i grew some out outdoors and they stank like juicy fruit, then developed a sour fruit smell when they were ripening. decent yield from them. probably going to be ordering some seeds soon though. well, heres some pics of this thing.

oh, i forgot to mention, for my seedlings im using pro-mix pgx(for germing) with perlite added. no fertilizers just yet!

let me know what you think!
thanks to all of YOUR info i was able to make this cheap and easily!! total cost was maybe $70!

Last edited:

Ganico

Veteran
Looks pretty good, man

Is a "true-air" the same thing as those febreeze carbon filters that you plug in the wall?

If so, then I'm also curious to see how that works for ya

The St.

yeah, the tru air is just an older model without the febreze name, its the exact same thing with another name stamped on it. i havent tried it out yet, but im also pretty interested in how well it works (or not!).

thanks!!

PEACE

The St.

i would be honored! it was you, pipedream, and red green (the duct tape) that gave me all the information to make this thing! thank you very much!

any ideas or constructive criticism would be great!!

thanks!
PEACE

K

kidkannabis

Great cab the St.Very stealth i might add. it looks so sophistacated and hi tech.Im interested in your fert mix.whats your mix measurements??

The St.

kid- the measurements for my soil are a little random, but for the most part i do it as follows:

for the germing/seedling soil:
1:.5 pro-mix pgx:perlite (no ferts)

for the vegging/flower soil:
a 5 gallon bucket half full of pro-mix bx this has perlite in it, but i add more.
add about 2 inches in the bucket. mix it.
i then add a light mix made of dehydrated chicken compost, i add about 2-3 more inches of that.
i add about 2 inches or so of worm castings.

then the ferts: all added to bucket.
i use about 1.5 cups of bat guano with an npk of 13-12-2
i recently got a bag of different guano with an npk of 10-2-1 i may try in its place, but add some flowering guano (npk 3-10-1).
i add about 1.5 cups of another organic flower fert of 5-7-4.

i mix this up and add some more pgx if theres room, otherwise ill mix it in when i put them in their new pots.

for when theyre hungry i use another random measurement feeding, but i generally go about .5-.75% of the recomended dosages.
but i use:
guano teas, vegging and flowering get theyre respective favorite npk's

alaska fish fert- 5-1-1
bills perfect fert- 6-11-5
neptunes harvest fish&seaweed fert 2-3-1
superthrive (once or twice)

and i use neem oil for garden eaters.

i always try to use organic products!

hope that helped!

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
Dude -

That's what I like to see.....the outside of the cabinet looks as good as the inside!

Hope you don't mind if I pull up a chair and make myself at home here?

:rasta:

The St.

pipedream, thanks alot, im not sure if you can tell by the pics, but the door is on the back of the dresser, so it can kind of be a pain sometimes getting in and out of, but other than that, so far its working well.

this is my first grow in this thing, so im pretty excited! actually this is my first indoor grow! ive grown in the great outdoors a number of times though.

i forgot to mention earlier, 2 more seeds sprouted out of the soil today! so i now have 3 young seedlings, still waiting for 1 to pop out!

Peace!

KushaNator

I too have a stealth dresser, funny thing is that fan you have near your 150 is the same one I have for a canopy fan...small world huh. I am impressed with your box. I opted for the door in the front for easy access, locked and keyed to perfection so no one can open it. I just did not see the sense of having to move my heavy ass dresser every time I wanted to take a peek.

Have you ran some preliminary tests with your stealth dresser as far as heat from that 150. What are you ambient temps with it on. You should also cool tube it to get that 150 closer to the plants to penetrate into the canopy more.

Anyways looking good man hope you have a great harvest.

Pipedream

Veteran
How about 4 small castors under the corners so you can roll it around easily when needed?

K

kidkannabis

thanks on the info.helped alot.ill try to follow something similar on a bit smaller scale. im sure your plants are loving every bit of it.VIva la mota!!

The St.

kidkannabis- i just use the 5 gallon bucket to mix the soil, i will be using 1 gallon pots when i transplant from the cups they are in now.

pipedream- i thought about getting small castors, but my dresser is on a semi-high carpet so i think that may cause a problem maybe with carpet shrapnel getting wrapped around the wheels or something. im thinking about getting some of those plastic furniture movers for carpeting for a few bucks at home depot.

kushanator- i havent ran any tests with the hps on actually, probably should have done that! but, the temps in there now are between 68-78 or so. im probably going to have to add more exhaust power, but ill tackle that problem if and when it happens! thanks for looking out though, i may run a test tonight and tomorrow. the ambient room temp is about 66-70.

im also planning on building a mother box soon, once i find out who's who ill be taking a few clones to keep a perpetual harvest.

pipedream or sugabear, what kind of yield should i expect with a 150 watt hps cab like this? never grown indoors, but i have lots of experience outside. im sure ill get an indoor greenthumb real quick!

sorry to ramble but my last seed broke the soil today, now all 4 are sticking up!

Pipedream

Veteran
Yield can vary a tremendous amount. Its effected by almost everything, strain, temps, nutes, humidity level, ph, and on and on. Most folks this if a system is working perfectly, you can approach 1 gram per watt of light. From my experience, I usually average just under 2 ounces of trimmed, dried, and cured buds per plant. Of course my set-up is more of a perpetual harvest where the plants nearing the end get rotated to the sweet spot under the light.

gwiz_capo

i like this setup...discreet but it looks like it will work great as well...does it get to hot in there?? i got a 400 w setup im working on similar to that but in a closet so im curious...thanks!

The St.

pipedream- thanks for the info, i have a pretty good yielding strain (outdoors atleast) and ill probably have 2-4 plants in there at a time flowering, once i find females atleast and start a mother/clone room. going to order some seeds soon too. ill look for a more indoor friendly strain. how often do you harvest a plant?

on a different topic, i was checking out my babies today, i have them in clear cups, ive always used colored cups or peat pots, and i was amazed at how fast the root grew down to the bottom! they just sprouted out of the soil yesterday and that tap root is visible at the bottom! sorry, got a little excited!

Peace

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey The St.

good job, I must say... just one question...

Does light leak through at night???

light leaks are potential security problems in my opinion..

back in the days of a closet grow, i had a young lady sleep over who did not know i grew and for some reason even though I thought my closet was light leak proof, she asked me what was in that closet (i assume she was confused because it was 3am and light was really leaking bad).. luckily it was the day before I chopped and it was my last grow in that house...

so i showed her the plants, and she damn near had a heart attack...she wasnt a smoker and never saw a plant in her life... so you can imagine how she reacted

easily one of the top 10 funniest things ever to happen in my life...

but my point is this... are you protected from such an event?

Pipedream

Veteran
St. - When things are running perfectly, (read almost never), I can harvest a plant every 17-18 days. Of course that has only occurred a few times over the years as I'm not patient enough to space out the introduction of new ladies. In reality, when doing a staggered harvest I usually pull two plants a few days apart about every 6 weeks. I've moved away from the perpetual harvest as it takes a great deal of effort to maintain, and I could never out-smoke the amount my box produces even on a bad cycle. My excess is stored away or gifted to other medical users. I've never sold and won't start so I just decided to scale back a bit.

The St.

lil wayne- actually, i used some "Great Stuff" around the door and any areas light/air could get through. this stuff comes in a can and is just a spray insulation foam, its at most diy stores for about 5 bucks. as for random ladies staying over, i dont have to worry about that! lol! but i appreciate your concern! thanks!

pipe- thanks for the advice, i absolutely agree with you on the way things never work as planned! ill probably be doing a set up similar to yours, just in soil rather than the dwc buckets, where i just rotate the plants around in the box then. thanks for all the input!!

i put those carpet furniture sliders on today and they work great! i just hope they last, theyre stuck on with some kind of foam type adhesive. but they work as advertised, its really easy to move it around now. i also put a new door with a lock on it. the seedlings are looking good, 1 is a little slower than the others but it was the last one to pop. well, maybe ill post some pics tomorrow of the changes!

Peace!

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah i know what great stuff is, good thinking....

but why dont you have to worry about random ladies staying over if you don't mind?