What's new

The Real History Of Northern Lights, Written By The Guys Who Did It

funkyhorse

2) are the ABG13 and PG13 the same cut (or seedline) ?
I am casually reading the answer to this question because I was looking for some info of what is the stock I grew
The answer is from @santero maybe he knows the answer to your other questions

I found it in this thread https://www.opengrow.com/topic/48798-breeding-with-the-g13-dom/page/2/

The Sensi Mr Nice G13 x HP seems to have sativa phenos, I am growing a hybrid of it and makes little sativa spears very beautiful looking buds

Raco, how are the effects of this stock NL and G13 x HP? Uplifting or ass heavy weed? How long lasts the high of the bud?
Do you guys smoke the buds or the hash of this?
some of the legit g13-hybrids that still are around:

- g13 x nl#2 and g13 x nl#1 (known as the airbourne and pacific clones)

- g13 x hashplant aka. ghash aka. mr.nice (preserved by ndnguy since 1988)

- g13 x haze (worked into an 'ibl' by shantibaba, one great male found by soma, but it's a haze dom)

- g13project aka. klar (made by hashbean starting with ghash genetics and worked for g13-traits)

- g13 x black widow (reeferman and motarebel, worked from the pacific-clone

CharlesU Farley

The structure on the NL#5 was both unique and beautiful with what I'd prefer to as a moderate 'clean, spring air-like' aroma, mildly minty. But I tend to keep nothing unstable, along with other criteria, such as potency' terpenes, and productivity.
Funny you mention that this morning, just now figured out I've got fucking Covid... again. Got it the first time 3 years ago and even though it kicked my ass, it didn't affect my sense of smell.

This time it has obliterated it.

Thought I just had a cold but then started really feeling like shit, got up in the middle of night to get some water and realized I wasn't smelling anything. Dug under the cabinet and grabbed some of my wife's perfume, squirted it on some toilet paper, stuffed my nose in it and couldn't smell a fucking thing.

This is just too weird. 😱

moose eater

Funny you mention that this morning, just now figured out I've got fucking Covid... again. Got it the first time 3 years ago and even though it kicked my ass, it didn't affect my sense of smell.

This time it has obliterated it.

Thought I just had a cold but then started really feeling like shit, got up in the middle of night to get some water and realized I wasn't smelling anything. Dug under the cabinet and grabbed some of my wife's perfume, squirted it on some toilet paper, stuffed my nose in it and couldn't smell a fucking thing.

This is just too weird. 😱
Sorry to read that.

We've avoided it here, but we've been wearing an effective GVS Elipse P-100 mask any time we're in a public place, with a standard surgery mask over the singular exhaust port (the surgery mask is to deflect exhaled air for the benefit of others around us, so as not to be too hypocritical about the whole thing).

While we've (me, in particular) received sometimes no response from the public, and other times hatefully angry stares or rude remarks, we've not had COVID. The primary objective achieved.

Good luck getting past the crud. Loss of taste and smell for me would be critical; diagnosing or assessing almost anything, from lack of safety in electrical gear (ozone, or, especially HOT ozone smells), the richness or leanness of the boiler's tuning based on odor of the exhaust, specific ID of automobile fluids or exhaust, ID of cannabis I neglected to label, cooking, etc., all heavily rely on the schnoz.

Last edited:

CharlesU Farley

Sorry to read that.

We've avoided it here, but we've been wearing an effective GVS Elipse P-100 mask any time we're in a public place, with a standard surgery mask over the singular exhaust port (the surgery mask is to deflect exhaled air for the benefit of others around us, so as not to be too hypocritical about the whole thing).

While we've (me, in particular) received sometimes no response from the public, and other times hatefully angry stares or rude remarks, we've not had COVID. The primary objective achieved.

Good luck getting past the crud. Loss of taste and smell for me would be critical; diagnosing or assessing almost anything, from lack of safety in electrical gear (ozone, or, especially HOT ozone smells), the richness or leanness of the boiler's tuning based on odor of the exhaust, specific ID of automobile fluids or exhaust, ID of cannabis I neglected to label, cooking, etc., all heavily rely on the schnoz.
Went to my granddaughter's play, the Lion King, last weekend and got around mass quantities of humanoids (which is quite rare for me and Harley) and I'm pretty sure one of the little fomites infected me. 😂

Harley's in the free and clear, since she used to be a nurse (retired a year after COVID hit) she's already been exposed to all that nasty shit. :sick:

moose eater

Went to my granddaughter's play, the Lion King, last weekend and got around mass quantities of humanoids (which is quite rare for me and Harley) and I'm pretty sure one of the little fomites infected me. 😂

Harley's in the free and clear, since she used to be a nurse (retired a year after COVID hit) she's already been exposed to all that nasty shit. :sick:
Approximately 6-mos. efficacy for both natural immunity and/or some protection from vax from what I've concluded through credible studies.

We've not eaten indoors at a restaurant for 4 years, now getting food to go on rare occasion instead, and any public indoor gatherings are done with the aforementioned masks, despite the boundary-challenged reactions from a small percentage of the public.

A key determinant in complications also often involved obesity, re. poor or worse outcomes; a fact unknown to many when discussing comorbidities. My hypothesis being that too much fat around the torso or mid-section inhibits the muscles there from being more able to expel the encroaching fluid in the lungs.

My daughter's also a charge nurse, a near and dear family member runs a clinic for specific populations of folks, many of whom are immunocompromised, and my deceased mother was a nurse and claims adjuster for the health insurance component of a major insurance co.

Me, I'm a semi-retired pot grower, a former mental health clinician, and mostly less-active activist with 'skin in the game', as it were.

Last edited:

CharlesU Farley

Okay, this one's going to be a tough one for me. Even after I came out of myself imposed cannabis forum exile, I never got into NL seed history, currently available "strains" etc. in the sections of the various cannabis fora that I lurked in. I was there primarily for info on LED lighting, indoor tents because I was expanding out of the closet, technical resource type of information not bullshit personalities, rumors, and hearsay.

After I realized I had reversed Northern Lights, that started my initial dive down the Rabbit Hole. Through all the various postings by all the famous participants, two people kind of shown through like a beacon of light in a sea of fucking darkness in all of their postings.

Shantibaba for his Zen-like focus on the _plant_ and not the bullshit, personalities, minutia of how it's produced, etc.. And NL Seattle Greg, who could go from "cannabis development is a brotherhood and let's all get along and share information" to " I'm a Marine goddammit and I'll rip off your head and shit down your neck."

I understand both sentiments. :cool:

Most of the dive I did on NL Seattle Greg came from 2010 to 2012 I think. The post today is going to be stuff that he posted back in 2021 on the Mr Nice Forum site.

After reading a lot of this new stuff, I didn't lose respect for the man, but it really gave me cause to doubt his judgment. I feel like hell right now and I'm mentally dense, so hopefully I'm not going to repost shit that I've already posted, but I tried to keep this part separate, so hopefully there's no reposting.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to make some money off of content that you've created so many years ago, that a lot of people got fucking _rich_ on, and you didn't. But you've got to use good sound, personal judgment about the people you decide to go into _business_ with.

Imo, NL Seattle Gregg used _exceedingly_ poor judgment in picking the two people he did to market his mystery, newly found seeds. One you can tell from his posts on Mr Nice is a seed sling huckster with all of the mystery cuts, rare breeding, and mystery shrouded bullshit that would make Stephen King seem like a nonfiction writer.

The other is a well connected, "friend" of everybody who's ever been anybody in the cannabis industry, so he can _glom_ onto their reputation and market the shit out of overpriced cannabis seeds to nostalgic Boomers who fucking don't know any better.

And for a published author, he can't write worth a shit!

Here we go, NL Seattle Greg's words, as he type them 3 years ago:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NL Seattle Greg
Feb 16, 2021
Add bookmark
#NightMare# said:
So are you sure it was never used in any of the nl lines.? Also is the make up of nl#1 just mr Murphy's afghan ? Thanks for the reply by the way.

"Things were different during the illegal times. Our lawyers told us to keep no records or photographs as it was evidence the police did use against us. We had several people we worked with owners and employees the local grow shops Indian Don , Biker Clubs, Jay and Harlyne Jackson did good work with Indica strains they later brought to Amsterdam after having legal problems in California"

NL Seattle Greg
Feb 18, 2021
Add bookmark
Cptn said:
Welcome to the forum @NL Seattle Greg

Please correct my assumptions about the NL family pedigrees and any details you have on unique traits of each (terps, effects, phylotaxy, flower time, etc):
NL#1 - Pure Afghani (Steve Murphy's affy, not crossed with any other affy)
NL#2 - "NL#1" x ??? (Thai? "Kush"?) Please ID the outcross parent
NL#5 - "NL#1" x Hawaiian

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge.
Cptn

"NL #1 and #2 were in the bag before we got the Mazar from Nevil. #1 was Murphy's x Murphys and Don's #2 I think was Murphy's crossed with either hash plant or what he called his stinky Affie. Don I think got some seeds from John at Steubers and his Native American brothers. The seed I sent to Todd and Matt was an old find I did not know existed until last year it was an old stash the family uncovered. All it had was #5 on the seed pack. My usual was if it was a cross was #5 x whatever on the seed pack"

NL Seattle Greg
Feb 18, 2021
Add bookmark
RocketBoy said:
This definitely goes against what you said on the Matt Riot interview.

"NL#1 is Murphy's Afghani x Nevil's Mazar I Sharif"

Your words.

Also Here's a kicker, My sources (Very Credible) say you were just a middle that got sour at Nevil because he went around you and obtained the NL lines and the #5 clone from Don.

"Aloha & memories of what happened 35 + years ago can be a bit hazy when one is stoned.. Thank you for contributing to the conversation. Don was one person on a team that was intact before he came along. We showed him how to grow and set him up with seed and cuttings"

NL Seattle Greg
Feb 16, 2021
Add bookmark
Truth matters. My former wife and I spent some time with Nevil and I do remember the Turkey comments was he found unusual large seeds on his trip and had problems with thieves. My legal companies were for fertilizer production and consulting and we never had a legal seed company in the USA. After operation Green Merchant and Nevil's employee snitch Ray Cogo sent the industry into panic mode. I spent more time with Nevil's cousin Robert and his wife Mihi than I did with the self crowned king. Here is another song for ones who cry about free speech.

NL Seattle Greg
Feb 16, 2021
Add bookmark
Aloha & before Nevil received the seed from Rob, Sam, and the NL crew he had a tiny ad in High Times. After getting the American made genetics he went with a full page ad and it may have been a mutual agreement with the folks in NYC to call him the King. Arjan seems to have a similar story but he said it was the folks in Hollywood and American music industry who gave him the crown
NL Seattle Greg
Feb 16, 2021
Add bookmark

sensient said:
Yeah man ..if people knew what Greg was really about ..he wouldn't be getting any kind of warm reception in these parts.

But hey, I've said my part ..people can judge for themselves.
Now ..back to plants.

Got any nice Original NL pics Greg?

Ummm ...
Greg told me that he would be making more of the NL5 seeds as an IBL and may potentially be making them available through my site.(T.Mc)
At least talk the truth Greg!!!
Then you might gain some respect

NLSG said:

"I spoke to Todd today and the seed I sent him and Matt Riot last year was a gift for free. We always had very limited production and getting on the gift list was not easy. Why don't you get your lame ass off this thread? I have had enough of your nay bag nonsense. You just made the ignore list forever"

From Strainhunters forum, and I almost felt like I had to take a bath after visiting this place:

Aloha Dust, Northern Lights was bred for COMBAT VETERANS! From 1970 to the time I brought the 11 strains to Nevil the only people on the long waiting list for my Cannabis were my girlfriends and the COMBAT VETERANS I ROLLED WITH! So I think is safe to conclude with Northern Lights Seed the breeding was by Combat Veterans as medicine for the problems we faced after coming home as young men who were forged and tempered in Vietnam.

NL Seattle Greg
Posted October 11, 2014
Aloha, I grow and breed because that is what i do. When the medicine at the Seattle Veterans Medical Center turned out to be toxic we grow our own since 1970. I do not sell seed that job is best done by folks like, Ben, Shantibaba, and Arjan

Arjan preferred to work sativa strains. Ben Dronkers at Sensi seed is by far the best seller of NL Genetics for three decades. Nevil sold Cannabis Castle to Ben when he needed bail money

NL Seattle GregNewbie
NL Seattle Greg
Posted October 7, 2014
On 10/7/2014 at 4:50 AM, leyus said:

Aloha, I met Arjan many years ago. He is afraid of the USA today as he was before and I think he needs to grow a pair. As an American who has many years experience on how things work in the USA despite the political pressure we brought the Northern Lights, (11 strains) Early Girl, Skunk #1, Haze , and the California Orange (Rob & Sam's Strains) the queen bees of modern cannabis breeding to the Netherlands a long time ago!! So now we are not considered a mecca for quality Cannabis anymore?? Hawai'i is World class and the quality i see in the strainhunters videos is not in the same league as our primo Hawaiian product. So here I am smoking the best in the World and Franco & Arjan are not in the real strainhunting game because of fear????? I am a United States Marine who walked the valley of death 100 times before I was 19 years old at places we called unhappy valley and the street without joy. Franco seems to talk the talk about his days as a paratrooper is he scared of the USA too??

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next up is going to be more Neville quotes, not specifically about NL but specifically how #5 was the key to everything that he accomplished with Northern Lights. Just to remind everybody, yet again, it was a single solitary _plant_, that did _not_ come from seed, and he could only reverse it and get viable pollen _once_. And those seeds are _long_ gone, verifibly.

Late edit, here's a pic from the Strainhunters forum, with a plant I believe NLSG called Northern Lites. I think it was here where he posted he had to have a big pow wow with Ben Dronkers, because I think NLSG was going to start to market seeds but after his forum reception, probably thought it wouldn't a good idea. You just don't insult a Marine ;)

That scrawny plant next to him is girl scout cookies:

1000011977.jpg

Why would a guy who's got this level skill set need the opinion of someone who's virtually _unknown_ in cannabis development, on whether mysteriously found, almost ancient seeds are _really_ viable?

Surely I'm not the _only_ one who understands that all of these intriguing stories, with mysteriously found seeds, from back in the day, are just a little too fucking convenient???????

Got to keep on saying this, and the way I'm feeling right now, it doesn't take much to get me blue in the fucking face:

There are _no_ magic seeds and/or mysteriously rare cuttings from back in the day, that are going to suddenly revolutionize cannabis development and get you higher than you've ever been before. That's not how it is.

You have to put in the _work_.

Last edited:

phunkeeboodah

in the early 90's in southern ontario nl was standard. like the kush craze 10 years later. so many versions but the moth ball smell was kind of common

Reactions: Rgd

sneezydog

I remember a thin lemony smelling sativa-ish loose nug with a touch of pine i think. But i figure lots of herb back then was bagseed or something from a seedbank and not a cut.... so lots of differences in phenos and generations, yes? Interesting to have a name to go that wide. It becomes a family. Even with only one name if they are all bred differently. Trippy.

Rgd

Veteran
I'm not specially invested in Dr Atomic's seeds, it's just something interesting to ask, does the selection made by the maker of the f2 can alter the general quality of the seed line, I mean maybe it was poor choice of plants for creating those seeds.
my take it..if its great it will be1. great. ....2.very good.or at least be 3.good...

the maple leaf indices I was given years ago..made awesome f whatever[I think f3]

the NL1 x hashplant f1’s I got in 1989 made terrific plants..

but the f2’s I made were just “good”. and all over the map....

Multiplying the seeds from someone does not guarantee to keep the same level of quality, don't you think?

I agree and yeh I did not make those seeds..

but after keeping them for almost 20 years ..I sure was Interested

and it was another nostalgia grow

Rgd

Veteran
Got a few questions for the NL experts:
1) what's the male in Sensi's G13 x Hashplant?
HP x NL1 or HP x NL2?
Was the F1 backcrossed to the HP cut?

2) are the ABG13 and PG13 the same cut (or seedline) ?

3) In terms of.GCA, how do you compare Skunk1 vs. NL?

Thx :)
I am no expert but I grew both of these in some form

PG13 =Pacifics g13

only grew BW Pg13....sonot g13 had one almost made me puke....narcotioc..heady.. in my top top two

most potent wlds ever

ABG13=airborne g13

both were very different

found abg13 [was only 75% abg13 ]to be tasty slightly fruity decent buzz and not head whack

Rgd

Veteran
in the early 90's in southern ontario nl was standard. like the kush craze 10 years later. so many versions but the moth ball smell was kind of common
I did mention this else where..there was an old choice [way] eastern Ontario clone called

“the big nordern light” [French accent affectionately used out of respect]

it was also nick named “Earl”..who was sizable..

could eat 100 egg rolls and come back for more

Earl was late to finish up here but when it came in all other homegrown stopped

it grew tall had huge long leaves.,grew knuckles at the internodes.,made baseball bat colas

and had very good long-lasting up high

early 2000’s I bought one of [maybe] the last clones ..for 10$ and selfed it..

somebody had gotta do it..[jk]

Last edited:

phunkeeboodah

I did mention this else where..there was an old choice [way] eastern Ontario clone called

“the big nordern light” [French accent affectionately used out of respect]

it was also nick named “Earl”..who was sizable..

could eat 100 egg rolls and come back for more

Earl was late to finish up here but when it came in all other homegrown stopped

it grew tall had huge long leaves.,grew knuckles at the internodes.,made baseball bat colas

and had very good long-lasting up high

early 2000’s I bought one of [maybe] the last clones ..for 10$ and selfed it..

somebody had gotta do it..[jk]

the choice haha. i probably smoked what you described if it had been in kitchener. so many different weeds from all over the place at that time with the high school connects

then in the late 90's(?) the triads took over with the m39 no smell/scotch tape smell pastel green hard as titanium literally so smooth as to be spherical popcorn nug commercial weed for like a decade lol

nl still escapse me it was everywhere in the early 90's but always changing i would need to see something like it again to be reminded. i did grow a seed of mns nl5xsk though and it did take me back. bottom of the leaves are light green in the dried bud and the covering of red hairs contrasting. subdued attic/moth ball smell

the real deal of that, or even that same plant grown by an expert would bring that sumptuousness in that smell though possibly

CharlesU Farley

In my COVID haze, I forgot the one that kind of blows the "Purest Indica" story out of the water. If you've managed to plow through most of these posts so far, you'll understand the common thread is that the numbering system meant _different_ things to different _people_, at different _times_,. The stories have changed _so_ dramatically among the participants, if anybody thinks they know the real story, including _me_, they're only fooling themselves.

_I_ wasn't there, so _I_ don't know.

But one thing I do _know_ is what a basic Type II /Indica plant structurally looks like, especially leaf pattern. And it most certainly to the fuck does not look like this:

1000012033.png

If that doesn't _prove_ one of the two main people hawking this numbered Northern Lights bullshit doesn't have a fucking _clue_ on the composition and basic structural dynamics of the cannabis plant, I don't know what other evidence I could provide.

It's all marketing and sales bullshit!

I think any reasonable person who reads through all of the posts by the participants involved, will understand that this is a story that will _never_ be told accurately and truthfully.

But one thing this post does prove is that NL Seattle Greg was, in fact, compensated by Sensi for the seeds he provided them.

This is from a post 10 years ago, in a now deleted thread that I got via archive.org's Wayback Machine. I don't have any idea why the entire thread was deleted.

NL Seattle Greg06-06-2014 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Mary (Post 203486)
A member here by the name of NL Greg could shed more light .
He was the seed banks source of NL .

He told me he sent the gear to Holland as the laws were changing in the USA and he had a young family to think of .

Afghan x Hawaiian is what he told me is the lineage . Who knows where the Hawaiian came from originally .

"Northern lights # 1 was Nevils Afghani crossed with the Seattle Afghan strain form Steve Murphy. The higher the number meant more sativa in the 11 packets of seed I mailed to Nevil. I sent seed to Ben and Kees at Sensi too for giving me the nutrient formula for Grodan and Seattle water"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The acerbic musings of Nevil will be up next, and I'm looking forward to that a hell of a lot more than I did these last two posts. :cry:

Last edited:

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I may be wrong but...didn't Nevil say that he sold It "pure"...(NL1) and customers complained about yield?
Does that mean It was a "pure indica" strain or a pure indica hybrid
I'm a bit confused right now lol
And didn't SamS say that Nevil's Mazar was a "waste"?

SurfdOut

Veteran
I didn't know until a couple days ago that Seattle Greg lives pretty close to me. My buddy(in the pic) throws a cannabis party evert year in Puna and Greg came this year, we gonna shit down and smoke together here soon. 71 and still growing and smoking.
Screenshot_20240501-103132_Instagram.jpg