What's new

The Original O'l Farts Club.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Be prepared for sticker shock. I just lost a 3 month old pair. The identical replacement was $100 more than the already insane price . . . :oops:
The insane price is mainly in special lens features and well designed frames. If you can get by with more ordinary looking frames there are several companies that do frames for $100 or less. As for the lenses if you can deal with plastic vs glass, non scratch resistant vs scratch resistent, non anti glare vs anti glare, non transition vs transition (the kind the automatically become like sunglasses in bright light) then lenses can become more reasonable. Most of those high prices are for the bells and whistles that make more sense when your lens prescription stays the same for year after year after year. As you get into your senior years though, where there is a good chance you'll need your prescription updated every 2 years all those fancy features make less sense especially if you've become more house bound.

Unca Walt

420club
So we went to church today. A rare occurrence because the wife is allergic to scents and invariably, like today even, someone ends up standing next to us smelling like "a French whorehouse after a big Saturday night run" (thanks dad). Easter lilies are the worst!

I tell people I live in a scentsless home. It gets a laugh now and then.

In any case a family friend (35 now) did the sermon today and spoke about One Child and his experience growing up in abject poverty in India. He was sponsored as a child and his is an amazing story of struggle and success. As you may know there is a cast system in India and he was at the bottom rung. Living on the streets, dirt poor and no pockets to put it in. A few years ago he was able to work and save to buy a $25K condo for his mother and father and hand them the keys to an actual home they never had before.

After Unca's inspired declamations on the perilous hazards of arrhythmia I decided to forgo the black goo and instead of wasting the dough on something silly took up the challenge to help end abject poverty for a 4 yo child in Calcutta. $44/month seems like small change these days.

So Unca your powerful words have inspired me!

Thank you for the eloquent, although well-intended reproach on the evils of caffeinated beverages!

You have helped a child!
OMIGOD.

I... am stunned. Simultaneously humbled and honored.

The honor part is to know you and the wonderful thing you have done.

Strack salute.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
It takes as long as it takes for me or another admin/moderator to see it and OK it - its something we have to do for all new members - so we don't get plagued with trolls and spammers on the forums - agitating the members with useless posts

- Some people are just not welcome on ICMAG - unless they understand and practice CIVIL DISCOURSE when communicating with other members on the forums - being civil with others does not include rude and profane invective - aimed at other members with whom you disagree with - during an argument or debate -

There is always room for humour though - but that can be tricky to disseminate in a post for some - who occasionally misconstrue it for insulting rudeness -
Ah the joys of responsibility :) I could be wrong but I believe in all my years on here, I never had a post held up waiting approval from the moderators and that's not to say all my posts are tame. I just know where the line is more or less and try to not cross it. I may run up right close to it though :biggrin:

Unca Walt

420club
I feel pretty good, but the fatigue has hammered me all day. I got up this morning had breakfast and went back to bed. I went out and played with the boys and got tired and came back and laid down in the recliner. I can’t live like this, stuff just isn’t getting done anymore.
@Boo -- Get used to it, bro. It is one of the rules of Life:

You run your fastest in the bloom of youth. If you are lucky enough, you live long enough to discover you cannot even run. Other things take center stage then.

So give your up running -- accept that it is over, past, done -- and look around at your two precious pups. Relax and enjoy them.

You are set well enough to farm out crunch-labor to those in the bloom of youth who have not run far enough to have your resources. They will be very happy and grateful for crunch-work in these furgled-up times of unemployment.

Relax. Enjoy your play time. Live longer, and have more fun.

cola

I have been reading what Unca Walt has been saying lately about caffeine/coffee/tea etc - and although I have had a lifetime of love ❤️ for coffee and tea -

- I realize that for the sake of my health and longevity its not a good idea to continue along the road to good robusta and arabica no more - which kinda makes me sad - because coffee is one of the things in life that I really adore 😢 - but if its gonna kill me - I'd best deny myself any more of it - and wean myself off it - since I have been diagnosed with ishemic heart disease recently - and have had to have surgery and a pacemaker to stop my heart ❤️ - from stopping ✋

I can certainly relate to your internal struggle and decision. I think it may have been Arnold Ehret who stated: "Health Is Your Only True Wealth". He wrote an interesting book which I read many moons ago titled: "Mucusless Diet Healing System". Mine was a paperback, now long gone, but I just saw on the internet where there is an Archive for it (google type search). It was last updated in 1914, but while you have some down time might be worth a read. Also, I don't know if you have considered Green Tea as an option. Certainly not making any outward suggestions, but it is known to have broad health benefits. It gives me a headache personally, so I choose to abstain from it. Cheers :)

cola

WHOA!! Useta be, when a bear was tagged, it was because of aggressive incident behaviour.

Dunno if that bear's decoration means that, becuz IIRC it was one ear tagged... two ears tagged... and any incident after that the bear was put down.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the playful looking image yesterday. Not sure I would have been 10' away. With all those tags pasted all over him/her, I would surmise that we may be right. That, and the obvious collar too!

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was thinking the same thing when I saw the playful looking image yesterday. Not sure I would have been 10' away. With all those tags pasted all over him/her, I would surmise that we may be right. That, and the obvious collar too!
The bears dazed WTF expression may have been due to still being under the effects of the tranquilizer.

It would ostensibly be unwise (insane) to stand fully exposed 10' from a wild bear taking pictures otherwise and while I have been 10' from a wild Black Bear, it wasn't sitting on its butt ignoring me. It was either checking me out or fleeing.

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
Good morning

in the 70’s all week so it looks like old man winter has retreated and is probably holed up somewhere in Montana with Jack Frost , two characters that I am glad that they have left town…..bass turds

i will be enjoying a big cup of coffee for all you old farts who have had to lay down that black juice and walk away

IMG_8366.jpeg

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
Those were the days!

indeed!

gold was trying to break through the $300 dollar barrier and silver the $5 dollar hurdle…

that was around 2001 and platforms like Ameritrade were happening and we could day trade the miners at $7 bucks a trade

gold and silver is still one of the wisest investments a human can make

( not to far behind is bitcoin )….😁

OleReynard

Back to the BEAR.
He is just maybe 2 years old, maybe.
I'm guessing he weighed about 125-150 lbs. This bear did not intimidate me at all, I would've kicked his ass.
The collar, a tracking collar all bears up here are found during the winter time and inoculated.
The tags are vaccination and inspection metals, so to speak.

Went across to the neighbors and we were talking about the bears when out of his mouth comes why can't the dnr track these down and move them.
I just looked at him and said we're the ones forcing these animals out of their natural conditions.
Maybe you need to go back to where you came from which was the Twin city's, I told him. Somebody else rolled up when I said that and it never went anywhere else.

This is not the same bear that was around last year, the other bear was unmarked and uncollared and bigger than this little guy.
When he stood up he was damn near taller than me, now that bear I would've been leary of.
This guy appeared to be used to people and dogs. He had 6 tags 2 in both ears and 2 on the collar

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Ah the joys of responsibility :) I could be wrong but I believe in all my years on here, I never had a post held up waiting approval from the moderators and that's not to say all my posts are tame. I just know where the line is more or less and try to not cross it. I may run up right close to it though :biggrin:
Most certainly HempKat - you have been one of the more balanced and exemplary members here for a very long time now - obviously understanding where the invisible lines of civility are - and are not - when engaging other members - it makes my job easier to have members that understand that - and leads to a more harmonious website overall -

What always irks me - is having to take sides - and having to discipline members constantly - because I'd rather they understood what civil discourse was in the first place - so not stepping over that line into mundane profane expletives and invective - due to some emotional slight or other generally -

- It don't cost 'nothin to be a polite and decent person -

Unca Walt

420club
That is the stage I am at currently.
Figured to buy several pairs to stash around the house.
I STILL find myself wandering around... WTF are my glasses.
Aging... gotta have a good sense of humor... and patience perhaps lol
I went to a Goodwill store and bought enough reading glasses to have one in every room in the house.

Cost nearly nuthin' to forever end the problem.

Latest posts

Latest posts