What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Gorrilla Water Collar

Beautiful BC

Thanks!

Were the ends of your hose sealed or did you have a complete loop out of the T? And did you use a 2 liter bottle?

harold said:
does it matter how big the holes are?

I wedge some small rocks in the end of the hose just so the water doesn't all run out the end too quickly. Drilled 1/4" holes in the hose about every inch or two along because I didn't want to worry about mud or debris from the water clogging them from the inside. No 2 liter bottle, I just used a few old buckets I had laying around. 2-3 gallon size? Drilled a hole according to the outside diameter of the hose in the side of the bucket, right at the bottom. Stuff the hose through into the bottom of the bucket. Glue around the joint or use putty, silicone.. duct tape, whatever floats your boat... I wasn't worried about leaks so I just kept it really simple.

As long as the water is going under the surface and not running off/wetting the surface, you're doing it right. If you are going for a slow release system I guess you need a sealed reservoir like the 2 liter bottles lots of people seem to use successfully.

My take on the design isn't meant to slowly drip water in as the plant needs it, I just dump some water in the bucket and let it drain through the hose underground to the root zone. One setup per plant. This watering method pretty much eliminated blossom end rot on my tomatoes, which is caused by uneven watering.

DS: how many bottles do you bury per plant? If just one, do you find that having a single point source of water encourages a smaller root system?

D.S. Toker. MD

Veteran
Hi BBc

Yes, verticle and buried to the point that the bottle top is level with the soil surface.

When i first saw this thread i was excited and i experimented with several different applications. I initially tried the original design with 2 milk jugs. What i found was that the water ran out of the lower bottle so fast that it wasnt practicle to try and initiate a slow feed method. In every instance if i filled the buried bottle with water, it emptied completely within 60 seconds or less. I use a 3/16" drill bit to make my holes. I tried to make smaller holes (1/8) but it didnt effect the outflow rate hardly at all but my holes got stopped up. I abandoned the effort at slow feed.

Then i just buried a gallon milk jug and when i watered or fertilized, i just took off the top ande poured in the water/nutes. This worked very well and decreased the amount of water i had to carry by more than 1/2. The result was simply great.

It was after experiencing the buried milk jug and its wonderful benefits i did a little more experimenting with some late plants.
Because the water was running out of the milk jug so fast, i began to question whether or not the size of the jug/bottle was significant. The gallon jug is big and hard to bury in the hole and it requires the hole to be bigger . But worse, because of the amount of air the gallon jug will hold, if a significant rainfall comes along saturating the soil, the big gallon jug willl dislodge and float up. Also, the smaller bottle delivers the water at a shallower depth, 8" or so where as the milk jug was 12" deep. The moisture is more beneficial at 8" than it is at 12"

So at this point, i tried buring a small listerine mouthwash bottle and low and behold, the water ran right out of it as quick and with the very same effect as the gallon jug. excellent.

Now i know that the size of the bottle is insignificant and that the real value is the process of releasing the water below grade and a small buried bottle will release water at the same rate as a larger bottle. You just have to wait 10 seconds for the smaller bottle to empty and then refill it.

Now, ill often use even a 12 oz orange juice botte. I plant my seedling and within 6" of it i plant my little bottle with holes in it. At the end of the year, i pull up the plant and the litte bottle comes up with the root ball and its clear that the roots of the plant have concentrated around the little bottle and actually grown all through it. It becomes part of the rootball.

I wouldn t grow any other way. This is a miracle and has truly changed my growing and increased my watering effectiveness by more than i can describe.

BBc, if you try this method it will change your growing life. The greatest thing since female seeds.

D.S. Toker. MD

Veteran
deadbeef, youre doing yourself a favor of which you will only understand the full benefit at the end of this growing season.

Once you know, give the info to others

wisco61

I took a couple of pictures of a collar after use and figured I should share them in this thread. This was used the previous year and had been sitting in the attic for months. So while a lot of the root mass had fallen off, you can still see some remnants.

I cut the Sham-wow wrapping off of one, and there were roots which had grown inside the wrapping.

hamstring

Veteran
Very cool pics so did you use water-soluble ferts and what size bottle did you hook up to the collar?

DS was saying that his buried water bottle method emptied quickly how long does it take yours to empty?

So do you bring multiple water bottles to the site or are the holes far apart and you carry one bottle to do the watering?

wisco61

Last year I just used molasses water and gave each plant its own 2 liter. 3 of the plants took about 45 mins to an hour to drain, one plant did in about 15 mins. I usually stuck the 2 liters on then walked to my swamp tubes. By the time I got back to the collars, they were empty. A couple times I left the 2 liters sitting in the collars for a week and they were fine when I returned. My soil is very sandy and though I have amended it a bit, heavier soils would probably take a few hours to drain the 2 liter. Silverback also talked about laying down a bed of compost and water crystals, that would also slow the watering.

DS- Thanks a ton! I'm going to try the 12 oz bottles and see how it goes. It seems like the easiest and most practical way to water. I have a couple questions though..

What was the average drain time for the 12 oz bottles?

How big were your plants and how often were you watering? Every day?

Thanks!

D.S. Toker. MD

Veteran
I found that water drained from all devices'at the same rate, whether it was a gallon jug or 12 ozs. My efforts also led me to understand that hole size isnt very relevant, with the exception that holes of an 1/8" or less get stopped up and then u have to take a long screwdriver and punch a new hole thats bigger.

My little bottles have 4 - 3/16" holes drilled in them. 2 holes in the very bottom, and 2 more higher up -3/4" from the bottom. With these 4 small holes, the water drains almost immediately. A gallong jug will drain in 20-30 seconds, a 12 oz bottle in 10 seconds.
I dont have any idea how growers are getting the water to leach from the jugs at a slower rate than ive experienced. Perhaps it is that soil which contains much more clay may compact more which would serve to disallow drainage. My soil is loose and organic and drains very well.

Logically, if viewed in the larger sense, how much benefit is there when the jug takes an hour to drain over it taking 1 minute to drain? If the same amount of water is being dlispersed to the same root area and is being delivered to the same amount of soil, i have trouble seeing the differenece. The difference in a plant that recieved a 1 hour delivery and a those that recieved a 1 minute delivery averaged over the week of time between waterings is undetectable. If there was a way to leach it out over several days, then slow drain would be beneficial but 1 hour doesnt seem relative to me.

Sagepreschool, my plant size varies with strain. The blue hash im growing gets big - 9 feet, the sensi star and biddy early are 6-7 footers.

I water/feed when they need it. In 2008, we had an extreme drought and those plants had to be watered 2x per week, 2 gallons per. Last year we were innondated with rain and i only used the bottles 4 times - delivereing a couple of doses of nitrogen at the first of july because ive learned that 1/2 of the plants total growth occcurs between july 1 and aug 15, and then again in the firts weeks of sept, i delivered a couple of doses of bloom ferts.

Wisco's point about SB's compost/water crystal bed is a good one and it extends the effectiveness of the watering considerably. If you are only growing a few plants, say 10 or less, its great. Its hard to do with lots of plants though. It does have the effect of causing the plant roots to grow around and inside the bottle in a much more extreme expression.

One other thing i did that seemed to be very effective and b enificial was to put some of the sham-wow, super absorbent material into my jug. It appeared that the soil/roots growing around the bottle had the capacity to suck/leach the water stored in that piece of cloth into the soil at a slower rate. It would take a week or more before the moisture would be gone from the material. I think it also encouraged the roots to grow toward and into the bottle

D.S. Toker. MD

Veteran
my opinion on watering?

Ive seen it over and over, year after year. If the plants recieve plenty of rain and have ample moisture, then they always flower early. Plentiful moisture speeds flowering by as much as a week to 10 days earlier than years with "adequate" rainfall/moisture. It also results in the flowering process being more consistent. The buds form at a consistent rate and are hard and dense.

Dry weather has a significant and detrimental impact on flower onset and on the rate of flowering. Serious water deprivation, even if the plant doesnt wilt, will cause weeks in the delay of flower onset and a serious delay in the rate of flower. Buds form much slower and are far less dense when dry conditions exist.

Example. Ive grown Mikado twice. Its a fast flowering indica, (50days).and normally finishes late sept. With plenty of moisture, mikado finishes fast, the last week of sept. In 2008, because of hot dry weather, the same strain started to flower 3 weeks later than normal and i cut the unfinished plants on november 2. That scenario is a good indicator of the impact of moisture depravation on cannabis. I don't think there is any exception to the rule.

LOts of moisture= early flower
Dry periods = slow flower, poor maturation and bud formation.

How can a grower speed up the onset of flower? Moisture. I water when i think the plants are dry. I never wait in hopes that it will rain.

C

coxswain

my opinion on watering?

Ive seen it over and over, year after year. If the plants recieve plenty of rain and have ample moisture, then they always flower early. Plentiful moisture speeds flowering by as much as a week to 10 days earlier than years with "adequate" rainfall/moisture. It also results in the flowering process being more consistent. The buds form at a consistent rate and are hard and dense.

Dry weather has a significant and detrimental impact on flower onset and on the rate of flowering. Serious water deprivation, even if the plant doesnt wilt, will cause weeks in the delay of flower onset and a serious delay in the rate of flower. Buds form much slower and are far less dense when dry conditions exist.

Example. Ive grown Mikado twice. Its a fast flowering indica, (50days).and normally finishes late sept. With plenty of moisture, mikado finishes fast, the last week of sept. In 2008, because of hot dry weather, the same strain started to flower 3 weeks later than normal and i cut the unfinished plants on november 2. That scenario is a good indicator of the impact of moisture depravation on cannabis. I don't think there is any exception to the rule.

LOts of moisture= early flower
Dry periods = slow flower, poor maturation and bud formation.

How can a grower speed up the onset of flower? Moisture. I water when i think the plants are dry. I never wait in hopes that it will rain.

In my climate only problem presents hot summer. I can only wish for long warm and dry fall. What else could a guerilla grower want? This is the first time I hear moisture influences start of flowering. Well ... you learn something every day.

I experimented with guerilla collar last year. I used plain plastic water containers with some padding material.

Water drained immediately out of them. If I'd use them again I would drill 1/2 mm holes or even smaller. Anyway ... I'm not using them again since dragging unnecessary equipment into the woods defies with guerrilla logic. At least for me. Hole preparation is the key to a successful harvest.

Of course, there are places where this can be very useful mainly in dry climates but I doubt your watering hikes will be less frequent since plant will adapt and grow bigger than usual and that also means more water. I'm sure less water will go to waste with this system and that's it's strong point.

Team Microbe

Veteran
High friends and fellow growers

Ive gotten so many good ideas from IC members, so I wanted to present this device with the hope that it will spark an idea or provide some insight and relief into the issue. Feel free to use and adapt this at your pleasure.

After suffering extreme drought for 2 staight years and loosing 2/3 of my crop, I collaborated with a couple of other local outsiders to find a solution to our watering problems..

We had all concluded that hand watering at the surface isnt effective unless the amount poured on is considerable. Smaller amounts of water poured on bone dry ground doesnt penetrate and has no real value or effectiveness. Two gallons of water, poured on very dry ground at the surface of the plant, penetrates to a depth of 1 1/4 " after 2 hrs. Observations indicate that cannabis roots began to appear at a depth of 3/4". Sixty percentof the water poured on the surface around a plant is absorbed by the soil above root level, soil off to the side that doesnt contain cannabis roots or, the moisture evaporates off and never becomes available to the plant.
The amount of water reaching the plant using this watering method provides enough moisture to keep the plant from wilting and does allow for some vegatatve growth but is not enough for the plant to mature properly. The buds will always be whispy and thin, even if the plant is a branch breaker. We found the condition to be irreversable and once a plant had experienced several wilting periods, regaurdless of how much water was provided after the repeated wilting events, the plants wouldn't finish properly. The hopeful grower under this scenario continues to work and water plants that are never going to mature properly. Ive been there. We observed this failure to mature properly after extended periods of wilt in 11 different strains.

-Nute absorbtion and fertilization are interrupted and problematic where there is no rain to wash ferts in or assimilate them into the grow spot soil. They tend to concentrate and salt up around the plant in the location they're poured out in and then if rain comes, its like a bunch of fertilizer gets released all at once. An alternate feeding approach is needed during long dry spells.

Our agreed solution: To be effective in this enviroment, the water and nutes have to be deliverd directly to the root sytem where it is needed and can be utilized by the plant just as it is with hydro and drip feeds. This basic premise drove our efforts.

After staring at the cats watering bowl and watching the TV ads for "Aqua globes", we developed and tested the following system device we call the " gorilla collar".

The device cost $1. 48 each to construct and can be built at a rate of 15 collars per hour. The 40 i needed cost me around $60 and took me about 4 hrs to complete them with a smoke break or 2 in the mix. A miniscule cost considering that I lost 15lbs of smoke and unknown gallons of gasoline and wasted labor trying to pack water.. It takes approximately 10 minutes extra at planting time to set the collar but watering efforts are reduced by 2/3 if not more.I would contend that this 10 minutes will save the grower 10 hrs of watering time over the course of the season. Once produced, the collars should last forever.

The collar:

It delivers water and when included, nutes directly and immediately to the root system and holds it there for the plants availablity. This approach solved the problem of absorbtion of the moisture by soil which contained no roots and of the problem of evaporation. It was the testing of this device that revealed the amount of water lost by pouring it on the surface. The collar had 4 obvious and repeatable impacts.

1. It reduced the amount of moisture one must carry to the plant dramatically. Two litres of water using the collar supplied the plants need for 3 full days under extremely dry conditions. Surface watering amounts for the same plant would have been 6 gallons - 2 gals. per day. On one plant were a 5 gallon satellite reservoir was used, the 5 gallons of water fed the plant continuously for over 3 weeks.

2. Because of the capacity of the device to hold water nthe root area, the tendency of plants to wilt between waterings is eliminated and the unreversable damage
to the plants flowering procees is eliminated.

3.The amount of ferts needed is reduced by more than half and what is supplied is immediately available to the plant roots. The effects of nutrient applications using the collar can be seen within 4 hrs of application where deficiencies exist.. It also allows for slow, continuous feeding when desired.

4. Unlike surface water that needs to be applied in the evening or early morning so that the water can soak in before evaporation, plants with the collar can be watered anytime without the problems of evaporation..

The collar installed, buried to the neck and loaded with a solution of nutes:
Burying the collar 3" or so, places the tubes in the soil to release their water at root level.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/38268silverback_0181-thumb.jpg]View Image[/url]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/38268silverback_0141-thumb.jpg]View Image[/url]

The collar before intallation:

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/38268silverback_0041-thumb.jpg]View Image[/url]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/38268silverback_0061-thumb.jpg]View Image[/url]

The single pronged collar we tested with a reservoir system. The line from the reservoir was simply inserted in the neck instead of a 2 litre bottle.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/38268silverback_012-thumb.jpg]View Image[/url]

Demonstration of a reservoir water line installation instead of the 2litre bottle

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/38268silverback_0221-thumb.jpg]View Image[/url]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/38268silverback_0191-thumb.jpg]View Image[/url]

The parts list:

The parts are very simple and cheap. Pvc pipe, 3/4 or 1", whatever your preferance. 2 90 degree elbows, 1 Tee, 1 1" adapter as a mouth, and 2 shop towels, newspaper or other absorbant material and unless you want to use something different, a cellulose sponge. Parts for the single prong feeder are simply a piece of platic pipe and one 90 degree elbow and the end of the tube stopped up with sponge.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/38268silverback1-thumb.jpg]View Image[/url]

Holes must be drilled in the bottom side of the pvc so that the water will leach from the water supply, through the tubes and out the holes into the area of the plants roots. The purpose of the paper towels is to prevent mud from filling the leaching holes and to distribute moisture evenly around the pvc tubing. The roots grow right up to this material. The only qualification is that it be absorbant and unoffensive to plant roots.

Ive used pieces of sponge to fill the end of my tubes and I discovered the plant roots grew right into the end of the tubes and into the sponge. This factor should be explored further as one could entice the roots to attach to the tubes using the right material

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/38268silverback_0071-thumb.jpg]View Image[/url]

Here are the towels encircling the tubing.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/38268silverback_0231-thumb.jpg]View Image[/url]

We didn't take pictures of the original test simply because we thought it was just a trial and we wouldnt take photos until we had created the final product. The device worked so well that we have done nothing to the basic design, but have created numberous adaptations, including the dumping of the end of the tubing into a platic cup drillled with holes and filled with gravel and sponge pieces which creates a situation where the plant roots grow into and fill the rock/sponge filled cup just as the would deveop in a bubbler system. Theoretically, this design would allow a growe to grow in a location where the soil was very poor.

I have more pics and infor I will post if others are interested. This simple device dramatically changes the watering scenario by increasing water efficiency by 300% or more. For every 100 gallons of water delivered to the plant - this device reduced that amount for us to approximately 30 gallons.

My aching back.

I apologize about the thumbnails, I cant seem to get them out.

Ill be back.

Great post. It sparked an idea in my head so I'll type it out here before I forget:

Take that exact same model and make it a little big larger in size -

Take that drip emitter and attach it to a 5-10 gallon bucket sitting above ground next to your plant. The gravity will feed the water down into the soil bordering your root ball and the pvc line up into the bucket allows your res to be as big as you please!

The reason I thought of making this design larger is to increase times between visiting to refill reservoirs. That, and the more water that's available to your plants the bigger they're allowed to grow. It goes very hand-in-hand. If I were to take this method on I would buy some camo tarps and cut them up to wrap my reservoir in, since water reflects light. I would also cover the top of the bucket in screen and secure it snugly with wire to prevent thirsty critters from tapping into the buckets.

I'd be curious to hear anyone else's ideas for a Gorilla Water Collar...

Rob547

East Coast Grower
Veteran
Was thinking of you today silverback, this is the first place I ever heard of the water collar and whatever similar inventions. This guy was growing tomato plants around a 5 gallon bucket filled with water with small holes in the bottom, buried in the dirt of the middle plants, different method same effect.

RIP Sir, much respect

Latest posts

Latest posts