What's new

Sudden influx of feminised seeds?

W

Wannabreed

1 4 1 is fair and simple :)

hey guyz when will end the fem this fem that stories ?

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Actually the pack that can give you the most potential for the money, is the standard seeds.
Fems usually are about double the price of standard seeds. So, yes, you will most assuredly get 5 female plants out of a pack of femmed seeds, but you have the potential of getting up to 10 of the same plant with the standards, for the same money.

I think some here may be every bit as sharp as they think they are, by half.

blackone

Veteran
hoosierdaddy said:
Actually the pack that can give you the most potential for the money, is the standard seeds.
Fems usually are about double the price of standard seeds. So, yes, you will most assuredly get 5 female plants out of a pack of femmed seeds, but you have the potential of getting up to 10 of the same plant with the standards, for the same money.

I think some here may be every bit as sharp as they think they are, by half.

You could also end up with 3 or 4 females. Problem is - you don't know. Yeah I'm a supporter of female seeds for sure - it sucks pulling males from the flowering room and it definitely hurts yield, even though I grow perpetually and can easily replace the spot with a new plant. Of course it's a problem if you want to breed with it so if that's the case then of course you're out of luck - but you're free to choose regulars for your need.

I'm also sick of hearing about female seeds and hermies... the only strain I've grown that didn' have ANY hermy tendency at all has been grapefruit from Female Seeds. All others have at least shown late-flower nanners - and a few full-blown hermies (Thai, Seedman's Skunk #1).

tench

i had the same problem with female seeds blackone!their indoormix was not good at all and all people talks good abuot female seeds...??paradise sweet seeds flying dutchmen dinafem and world of seeds have great feminized seeds no problem at all for me.

luvtogrow

blackone said:
You could also end up with 3 or 4 females. Problem is - you don't know. Yeah I'm a supporter of female seeds for sure - it sucks pulling males from the flowering room and it definitely hurts yield, even though I grow perpetually and can easily replace the spot with a new plant. Of course it's a problem if you want to breed with it so if that's the case then of course you're out of luck - but you're free to choose regulars for your need.

I'm also sick of hearing about female seeds and hermies... the only strain I've grown that didn' have ANY hermy tendency at all has been grapefruit from Female Seeds. All others have at least shown late-flower nanners - and a few full-blown hermies (Thai, Seedman's Skunk #1).
Maybe you have light leaks if all plants u grow show hermie traits?

G

Because of the capacity to turn a 10 pak of fem seeds into 5 seperate grows, i feel fems are always more cost effective. When using femmed seeds, I pop 2 seeds just to make sure Im not cloning a dwarf, (which by the way, show up a lot less often in fems), and then start cloning the healthiest of the two very heavily. A ten pak of fems is good for 5 individual grows in my garden. I love that about fems. With very high quality strains like Sensi star or cream caramel, you can pop just one seed and feel confident as your cloning away at that one plant. What a deal. You can get 10 full grows out of a pack of SS.

With standard seeds, one surely has to pop at least 4 seeds to insure a female, and even then, you may be limited to only 1 specimen to begin cloning with, and god only knows which pheno it is. Then again, more than once over the years, ive popped 4 seeds and gotten NO females.

Last edited:
M

medical_shed

@Blackone, why would you have males in flower if you were growing perpetually?

@Silverback, I can't believe you're actually trying to say fem seeds are healthier too lol I'm not saying they're less healthy but you saying they're healthier makes me think you have a slight irrational bias :muahaha:
The rest of your posts give me the impression that you have a very different reason for growing than me for example; you seem most interested in maintaining a consistant quality standard and level of output from all your plants, if these standards aren't met then it'll cost you since you run many untested cones. On the other hand I'm a hobbyist at the moment who is less interested in consistency than finding the odd something spectacular and crossing it to something else spectaular to see what happens.

What I'm trying to say is we all have different reasons for growing so it stands to reason that we'll prefer different methods since each has it's advantages in any given situation but saying that one is better than the other is complete nonsense.

Last edited:
M

medical_shed

I don't know, where? Where did I say he said they are higher quality? The health bit was referencing his comments about more runts from standard seeds.

It just seems there are people on one side or the other when there aren't really any sides. We're all growing cannabis.

blackone

Veteran
luvtogrow said:
Maybe you have light leaks if all plants u grow show hermie traits?

Yup I do have some light leaks. Point is - in the strains I've started from regular seeds I've always found some phenos that threw some nanners. Only strain that has been totally free of even late flower nanners has been Female Seeds' Grapefruit.

Female seed production doesn't automagically introduce hermaphrodism - unless of course you're taking a shortcut and using spontaneous hermaphrodites when creating seeds...

medical_shed said:
@Blackone, why would you have males in flower if you were growing perpetually?

Because I keep trying new strains, that's why.

G

Hi medical shed.

I dont' believe fems are healthier than standard seeds. Health is a condition of enviroment primarily. I do believe that fems are more stable sexually than standard seeds. Im an outdoor grower and from my experience, you can plant 5 females of any standard strain available and the odds are very good that come october, at least one of the buds on at least 1 of the females will have a 1/2 a dozen imature seeds here and there. Ive yet to see that with a femmed seed. Im just 2 years into growing them, but Im beginning to believe their tendency to produce male flowers is considerably less than it is with standard seeds. Further, Im sensing that when a plant from a femmed seed does show a male flower during the later stages of flowering, its likely to be sterile.

I do understand that growers grow for different reasons. Id be willing to bet however, that if you round up 100 growers from the site, 90 of them are just like me, they buy 10 seeds and hope for a good yeild from them. Due to the fact that a femmed pack of seeds has more female plants in it than standard seeds, the chances of harvesting more smoke per $ are increased, And that's not even considering the extra work of culling males and the cost in soil or electric to grow males. Let alone the risk of having 2 X as many plants as one needs.

There are quite a few states in the US that allow a few plants to be grown that the offense remain a misdemeanor. In my state, one can grow 4 plants. With femmed seeds, a grower can grow 4 plants and know they are female. Without femmed seeds, 1 has to start 4 seeds and will fill lucky if he harvest 2 plants. He may not find any and have to start over.

D

dankbudz

silverback if your worried so much about females why dont you cut your own clones??

C

crownedsparrow

=silverback Id be willing to bet however, that if you round up 100 growers from the site, 90 of them are just like me, they buy 10 seeds and hope for a good yeild from them.

all I have to ask is,

Why is Bubba Kush so damn popular then?

It yeilds smaller than almost every plant in ones garden, but it is loved so much, people still grow it despite its low yields.

thats all. PS silverback your a badass man, I have seen your posts and your a true legend!

C

cobain420

Awesome thread, a lot of great information and opinions.

I am trying feminized seeds for the first time from CH9, anyone have any personal experience with them?

Good thread...

vindiesel

Veteran
my first and second grows were/are from fem seeds from paradise and greenhouse. no complaints whatsoever. i originally said i would only use fem seeds, mostly because i dont have tons of room to waste on males. but now i am using non fem and fem. fem seeds are fine as long as from a respectable breeder, and they are great for space limitations, commercial growers and for those just getting their feet wet. but they're are too many sick non fem strains to ignor.

jm420

Veteran
the only reason I buy the mix is its cheaper than the fems ,next grow fems only ,the males are a pain in the ass

that was a pain in the ass for 3 fems