What's new

striking your seedlings at the patch !!!

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
that might work if i were growing as much as you...but i'm more into the "grow for thyself" type of growing...

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
Here is a great idea for drying in the bush, click on the link-
tasteOrganic's Trash can with dessicant drying method

What I am interested in is either planting straight to the ground, or planting very young starts, planting in pots at the plot site would not be of interest to me, getting to the potted plants to water enough would be nearly impossible for me.

I think I'll just do some experimenting, and try using several different methods of straight seeding at the plot. I don't like the idea of setting up a "nursery" at the plots for me, large ammounts of equipment at the site can stand out like a sore thumb to passers by.

Last edited:

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
Does "striking" mean the same thing as starting? I assume it does. Like striking a match? Just curious. :)

hamstring

Veteran
Wally
Great Thread. I am doing this method this year also. I took a 30 gallon Rubbermaid storage container and then built a small green house out of the corrugated fiberglass the type you see on green houses to put over it. I built so I could carry it into the bush and then re construct it semi easily.

The 30-gallon container was then filled with 2 cubic feet of potting soil (1 bag) and to top it of a couple small bags of seedling starter. I had my doubts but I planted hundreds of seeds after soaking them for 24hrs and I got a shit load of seedlings. Being new to this method I saw that I made many mistakes.

One of my mistakes were clumping to many seeds in one spot requiring a lot of transplanting.

Wouldn’t be so bad but the seedlings were at many different growth stages. Ranging from their first couple sets of real leaves to the seedling still having the seed cap on them. Breaking apart a group of 20 seedlings growing in a 2 X 2 inch square was crazy. I have no idea what the survival rate will be.

A second mistake I made was time between watering. Before adding the soil I put two gallons of water in the bottom of the container (no hole in container). I then added the potting soil and then the seed starter and another gallon or so to moisten it. I figured early spring with a make shift green house over the top that it should be plenty of moisture for 2 weeks. I came back to dry seed starter with 20-25 seedlings. I re-watered and came back a week later to 50 or more new seedlings. You need to revisit often when starting the seed.
I will also mention I did have many ants the first visit but they moved on by the third week with no real damage that I could see anyways.

:woohoo: All in all it has been a great experience so far and I cannot wait to watch them grow. :woohoo:

Had a question. I plan on transplanting 3 (8-10inch seedlings per prepared hole) when the time comes. I have no idea what male/female ratio is so 3 per hole seemed logical. Makes it easier to care for a ten-hole plot of thirty unsexed seedlings.

What are your thoughts?

G

guest123

hamstring said:
Wally
Great Thread. I am doing this method this year also. I took a 30 gallon Rubbermaid storage container and then built a small green house out of the corrugated fiberglass the type you see on green houses to put over it. I built so I could carry it into the bush and then re construct it semi easily.

The 30-gallon container was then filled with 2 cubic feet of potting soil (1 bag) and to top it of a couple small bags of seedling starter. I had my doubts but I planted hundreds of seeds after soaking them for 24hrs and I got a shit load of seedlings. Being new to this method I saw that I made many mistakes.

One of my mistakes were clumping to many seeds in one spot requiring a lot of transplanting.

Wouldn’t be so bad but the seedlings were at many different growth stages. Ranging from their first couple sets of real leaves to the seedling still having the seed cap on them. Breaking apart a group of 20 seedlings growing in a 2 X 2 inch square was crazy. I have no idea what the survival rate will be.

A second mistake I made was time between watering. Before adding the soil I put two gallons of water in the bottom of the container (no hole in container). I then added the potting soil and then the seed starter and another gallon or so to moisten it. I figured early spring with a make shift green house over the top that it should be plenty of moisture for 2 weeks. I came back to dry seed starter with 20-25 seedlings. I re-watered and came back a week later to 50 or more new seedlings. You need to revisit often when starting the seed.
I will also mention I did have many ants the first visit but they moved on by the third week with no real damage that I could see anyways.

:woohoo: All in all it has been a great experience so far and I cannot wait to watch them grow. :woohoo:

Had a question. I plan on transplanting 3 (8-10inch seedlings per prepared hole) when the time comes. I have no idea what male/female ratio is so 3 per hole seemed logical. Makes it easier to care for a ten-hole plot of thirty unsexed seedlings.

What are your thoughts?

hey mate , thanks for your input , sounds like your well on the way to success , just a few minor details that u will learn along the way i guess , its all trial and error ...

i probably mentioned in the first page that i do transplant my seedlings from the boxes when they are up , the tubs just dont hold enough soil or moisture , and when the plants are bigger they really suffer badly with transplanting...
moisture can be a problem , i have quite clayish soil , very small particles , they hold the water quite well , ive also been known to cover with burlap the first few says to keep moisture in ..

i also am known to use shade cloth on the young ones , they dont need full sun , just need to stay moist and get up above the ground ... i visit them every 3 days at this stage , and during most of the grow ...

i have planted more than one plant per hole , but i dont like it ,, one plant will always dominate over the others , male or female , and often u can be left with a tiny plant u wont notice thats pollenating all your gals ,,
probably would work better if u dug twice the amount of holes , a bit closer than putting more than one plant per hole , the ladies will fill the room im sure ...

Last edited:
G

Wally, I used to drag a stick the the soil to make a groove & tip a film cannister of seeds along it. They used to come up like cress, but the seed didnt cost me a penny, As long as there was plenty of cover seedlings growing around them they would get away & grow, if conditions were drier they stood out too much & would get munched. I used plastic beer cups over top of them to keep the pigeons off them. Never had a problem with heat, plants grown like this get their roots down pretty quick even if theres not alot of top growth as the roots are not sitting in a nice little rootball of peat/compost & they have to send roots down. Best not to work the soil on hot days as the soil will dry out very fast, best to do in the evenings & try to set seeds a day before rain comes. Some of the best plants Ive had have been grown like this, the main benefit is that the seedlings have no stretch to them what so ever, they sit there 1 cm above the ground with 2 sets of leaves, and fat stalks like thick matches. I'm sure this helps later on in the season, you dont get so many branches snapping & breaking off, they also grow into their environment at the same rate as everything else arround them. Never used to water either, but it was good fertile soil, & their roots would be down there a long way. Sometimes watering too early or unnecessarily can be self defeating the roots are just sitting there waiting for another feed. I am sure drought stress at harvest makes for stronger smoke, but the buds arent as fat & succulent, but then they dont shrivel away so much either.
What worked for me may not be for anyone else.
Cheers. good luck.

Seve

The plants look great, Wally! I love your plot(s). They look relaxing to hang out at. I'm definitely gonna try and get a hold of some of your strains for next season to test out. (This season I just went with a bunch of clones.) Anyway, good luck! Nice thread. Now I wanna start some seeds straight in the ground someday...

Seve

hamstring

Veteran
hamstring said:
Wally

What are your thoughts?

Hello all and Thanks Wally for the thread to post in.

I wanted to update my experiment. Like I mentioned I grew in a 30 gal make shift greenhouse. I did not separate the seedlings like Wally suggested and it was a nightmare. I put a couple seedlings per hole and had to bare root many of them because they were all tangled together. It goes to show how resilient MJ is. 90-95% of my seedlings survived the transplant. I had a hundred small seedlings (literally) left but they had to go did not have the time or space for them.

No idea yet what sex ratio I have but I believe with some refinements you could grow ½ pounders with the right strain. I hope to get a couple of Ozs per female when all is said and done. We will see how they do.

Next year I might try feminized seed again. I swore I would never use it again but I have had some good success with it and think it is the right for this type of growing just have to stay on top of it.

Maybe some fem Sweet Tooth they have on Dr Green thumbs site. An auto flower with a punch at least that’s how it reads. :wave: :wave:

Last edited:

phrank

2 cents worth...

2 cents worth...

One year, in an emergency, a FOAF had to start outdoors. What they did was to buy a bunch of clear plastic Rubbermaid bins. Into these went 3 1/2" square plastic containers filled with moistened Pro-Mix. Seeds were planted into the soil. Plastic fly-screen (like you find on windows) was fastened to the top of the bins, and then a sheet of clear plastic was laid loosely over all. Once seeds germinated and roots filled the cups, the plants were transplanted into the ground. Worked fine, except that it didn't allow for a real early start. Think that they had the bins out in the woods around the 2nd week of May at 44 North.

phrank

G

guest123

hey gunny ,, nice to see u mate ..
so heres a few shots from this year ,, same method as described , they are in tubes now , under some shade cloth for the first week of transplant ....

G

ok, i am thinking a lot about the outdoor season 2008. :chin:
i want to start everything at the spot. so germination, will take place at the spot.

plastic bins and so on are out of the question! all i want there are little cups, wire and seeds of course.
so what is the best solution for me?
i was thinking...
little plastic cups and a little bit of fine wire to protect the cups and seeds/seedlings. after about a week or less, transplant the seedlings into the ground and protect them with wire.
from this year experiences i learned that i think i don't have a lot of nature's predators for my seedlings. little seedlings were put direct into ground without any kind of protection.

how does it sound? is it good plan? please for some suggestions, tips...
the main point here is to germinate seeds at the spot...

G

wow, tnx a lot.
yes the metal wire is questionable. i've seen perfect green wires/screens for my plan.
yes, i am planning to make some kind of an indian-tent-screen-thing, if you know what i mean.

G

hm, i've read your post three times, but i still don't understand it.

how did you tie the plant to the screen. how does this look like? pics would be great!
i don't understand the corkscrew effect.
and what do you mean by missing the side branch. how do train, that they are not visible?

yes, i'm thinking about toping seedlings with second true leaves.
if you know about lazy growing by GMT than you know what i am talking about.

Ganico

Veteran
I just want to sow straight in ground like a real farmer. Would have to wait until right before a couple days worth of rain hits though. But the taproot could go straight down and I bet they'd develop the best root system that way

Last edited:
G

it's the most natural way Ganico! i like this idea too and i am thinking about it.
but you have to know, that starting seeds like that, gives you some "problems". natural selection you know (bugs, birds, etc.)

i came around this idea.
if we put seed in a paper towel, make it wet and put it in the ground. it would have more chance to sprout. will give it a shoot next season.
and btw, check out this site: wintersown.org (i think it will be interesting to you)

Latest posts

Latest posts