What's new

Size does matter!

KDee211

chef said:
@ KDee211
What dimensions & what strain/s?

The dimensions of Homebox XL in (cm) is 120 x 120 x 200, i'll be using 600W HPS light inside, the strains will be from Greenhouse seeds, something hazy, i don't know really. So what type of grow would you recommend for me? And what containers for the right type of grow should be ?

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
Do you have the ability to take 64 clones? :p

I'm playing with a cut now that I'm sure has Haze in its bloodline.
Considering the restraints of a cab & haze... I think I'd go for more plants, shorter veg & pack them in there, instead of bigger bushes.
As for pots...
Best: build a 200x200x60 sandbox, fill to depth of 50cm's & stick 64 cuts in there lol
Realistically though, I think a 3x3 grid of 5gals would be the best & safest bet.

KDee211

gots to disagree with you man, i don't like that fancy ass sandboxes and 64clones, i just wanna grow decent pot and get a decent harvest in my homebox XL.

Does anybody here owns a homebox XL, what pots, grow type are you using ?

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
You blind?

"Realistically though, I think a 3x3 grid of 5gals would be the best & safest bet."

Typical though... they ask for advice, they ignore it, go home & screw their crops with some secret trick their girlfriend's cousin told'em about lmao :p

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
KDee211 said:
gots to disagree with you man, i don't like that fancy ass sandboxes and 64clones, i just wanna grow decent pot and get a decent harvest in my homebox XL.

Does anybody here owns a homebox XL, what pots, grow type are you using ?

I have a Secret jardin 150 with a 600 hps and a 400 hps in it. I had a HB XL and the zipper did not hold up to the opening and closing so often. Traded it for some Beans.

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
chef said:
You blind?

"Realistically though, I think a 3x3 grid of 5gals would be the best & safest bet."

Typical though... they ask for advice, they ignore it, go home & screw their crops with some secret trick their girlfriend's cousin told'em about lmao :p

What is your problem man?, someone disagrees with you and you just cut them down.

Grow up and realize that people do stuff differently than you do

You started this thread for? affirmation that you know everything? why even bother if you are not going to listen to the other side

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
Get off my leg dog! lol
Gettin' pissy about not getting an answer that I just gave, pisses me off!

In a way, this is an affirmation of this big pot theory. Most of the hard work is done.
If there was something I've overlooked? I figured someone would surely shoot some holes in this? I was expecting holes with solid reasoning to back it up though, not useless speculation, my bad.

So....If the good Dr is done having sex with my leg now?

Who wants to run & document a 1,2,5gal test? :D

chef, lets see some pictures big boy. you love to dish it but I'm not seeing a whole lot to back up your posts. there have been remarkable advancements in digital photography since 1983...

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
lol, we should get along fine :p

I have a couple big plants this first run, hard to learn anything other than their big though. Flowering like 8 strains to see what I have this run? I'll snap & post some tonight.
Next run is all ready to run some controls, 3 strains & 2 sets of twins for testing.

T5's are another factor worth mentioning here, damn they grow some stout bushes!
They're the ultimate for grooming the small ones for their big pots.

Brastaman

i don't understand the sandbox idea? do you fill the sandbox with dirt or 5gal pots?

i don't run 5gal pots, they take up too much space and dirt. i usually go with 3gal for plants taller than 2.5 feet. usually not taller than 4 feet. anything shorter and they are in 1gal pots. For my first indoor bush grow i am using 3 gal pots. I think wider plants need more room than taller plants but that could be because the wider plants usually need longer veggie for me.

imo MH are the best lights for indoor veg. T5s are great but they need to be so close to the plants and penetration could be a problem if the lights have to be kept far away. 250 or 400 watt MH do a better job quicker but use more electricity and create more heat.

brasta.

trybud

i dont fully agree w/ chef's numbers but he's spot on with his theory about pot size. i fit more in between him and Brastaman ( i think a 2.5 foot plant would be choking in a 3 gallon pot). i always assumed that going thru the multiple transplants was speedier for veg and more efficient use of grow media/water/nutes....i love to flower in huge pots tho.....

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
Hey Brastaman :)
It is a lot of work, all the clones & changing out the beds is a pain, plus the number required = stiffer penalties in most places. Does Cali have the 10'x10' growing space & no plant limit? Santa Cruz here I come!
Add one 5 gal pot to your 3gal grow & see if you see any improvement?
Easy test ;)

@trybud
Cool :) that's why I started this thread, to do some more collaborative testing & really dial some things in.
If we're all beyond the bigger IS better arg, we have some work to do! ;)

I'm ready for the 5,7,10 gal test next run, 1 of each, Poly Bags vs Smart Pots.
still need someone to recreate my old 1,3,7 test or a 1,3,5 is fine.

I run 20-3 gallon bags in a 4X4 area ...topped once...using a 1000 hps hortilux
vent fan,plus air cooled hood and a regular fan...they end up at about 36 inches in
height...SOG Of course....soil,coco and perlite.

Knives

Either 2 or 3 gallon square pots...

i had a 30day veg on her too.
I wonder what i would get with a 7gal pot :joint:

leap270

I just change my pot when I see roots coming out the bottom of the pot. How do you guys do it? My plants are in 5 gallon buckets with holes drill at the bottom now. They are in flowering now. They seem to be doing ok. They are about 3.5 ft tall.

J

jrosek

Hey everyone!
Here's a little peak of how i do it these days...
After many years of trial and error i now use 25 1gal buckets in a 44"x44" area with a 600hps. results are pretty standard, I harvest just around 2lbs every 55 days. These little ladies were at 40 days flower in the pics.
My 2cents!