What's new

Selfed male seed .....

idiit

Veteran
Selfed male seed .....
great topic!

i see no difference between breeding theories re selfed females and selfed males. if there is i am subscribed to this thread and very interested.

my reasons for selfing elite highly recessive female genetics are mainly to preserve the clone in seed form in case i lose my elite clone.

i've witnessed strong phenotype variation in selfed progengy on some strains so i expect to have to go thru a few s1's to get something close to the original cloned female.

i've got a couple of rare hard to source strains where the only plant of this strain is a male; lmn angola red, bsc smcg and paraguay cohiba.

i can keep male clones of all three strains for future breeding projects. sooner or later i end up having to shut down indoor gardens so a seed back up is highly desirable.

i can try bx'ing the elite hard to source male several times back into an appropriate similar strain/elite male seed plant.

i can store pollen off the elite male.

i can force the elite male's clone to hermie (cs is my forced sex reversal tool) and them cross the elite males pollen back into the pistils on the forced sex reversed male clone. this according to my grasp of the matter will produce male only s1 seeds of the elite male.

i hate naturally easy to hermie phenotypes for breeding purposes. i want my garden's bud product to be seed free and "occasional naturally occurring pollen sacs" can rooster out on my entire garden with random pollen. if you've got a lot of different strains going in one patch one errant hermie plant can do a lot of damage and checking for pollen sacs on late maturing females can be very difficult.

idiit

Veteran
thanks. i did reread a couple of times and am here to learn. great thread!

i have seen males naturally show pistils several times on landraces including well respected worked lines . i refuse to breed (pollen chuck actually in my case) with them.

to me a 6/6 light cycle ( if what you mean is 6hr day, 6hr night, 6hr day, 6hr night) is completely unnatural. hot/cold, wet/dry yes, but 6/6 is not a natural environmental stress test.

taking a clone in full flower could be perceived as not naturally occurring environmental stress as well.

After a better worded search it seems that if a plant of either sex can be forced by environmental factors alone to produce viable pollen or functional female structures then it should not be used
^ i think the 6/6 light cycle violates the spirit of the above maxim.

i'm very interested in this subject and am not trying to intentionally muck up the waters with stupid comments.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sometimes i would like to have male only seeds to search through , but seems not possible or marketable.

It seems intuitive that a plant of either sex that can be readily manipulated by variables that could occur in nature , would be less stable for our purposes that one that needs the 6/6 and worse to reveal intersex.

I grow out every male till mid flower at least and probably see more than many growers , and would say a quarter of the males in casey , diesel and chem crosses show a few pistills along the way , more intersex than the girls in some crosses , some probably throw pistills in late flower and i miss them.

Its a lot harder to spot a few hairs on a male , than a couple of bright yellow flowers on a bud , and many go unnoticed.

Its definately worth a shot if all you have to show for your money is a couple of males , as is often the case with old stock and low viability , males seem to have a statistical advantage from a slightly higher vigour post germination , popping an awfull lot of ageing ten packs bears this out.

If i have too many males with little else to choose between and have to make a choice , i use stability in reveg/cdc to help cull out , i honestly see little intersex in worked lines so far but impossible to quantify.

This male fathered some fine crosses but the selfed girls were very poor albeit stable , will try again for the interest with another proven male , which could be stunning or shite as it looks a bit random to me.