What's new

root afids!!!!!

G

So once we eradicate them from the medium thats currently being used.

What should be done to any stock piled, new, ready to use medium.

I have 50Gallons of freshly ammended soil, witch would be more then a waste to throw away and is not an option id like to consider.

Neither does it seam feasable to put 50 gallons of soil in my oven. to much hassle, mess and time!

So what can we do to soil that has a possibility of harboring thease unwanted pests?

Last edited:
G

MarijuanaMesiah said:
So once we eradicate them from the medium thats currently being used.

What should be done to any stock piled, new, ready to use medium.

I have 50Gallons of freshly ammended soil, witch would be more then a waste to throw away and is not an option id like to consider.

Neither does it seam feasable to put 50 gallons of soil in my oven. to much hassle, mess and time!

So what can we do to soil that has a possibility of harboring thease unwanted pests?
you can try to treat it(neem,lime, etc.),,,,but i would run away from any suspect medium, not worth all the headache, soils a pain in the ass for this reason, but you cant beat organic bud for flavor and punch, best of luck..bd

kushedout

I had the same problem a while back. A few boxes of ladybugs (since most inside the box are dead) completely solved the problem in a couple of days. Spidermites on the other hand are by far the worst thing you can get in your garden. It's a good thing you took care of the problem!

red eye jedi

ive had root aphids for awhile, most products for pests are for above soil pests, i wish someone would make an organic soil drench. ill try a neem soak, and diatom earth and see if they work. im using nematodes currently (not really working) to kill the ones in my mom plants. ive also tryed gnatrol (didnt work). botaniguard is a spray not a soaking product. they had a party in my last grow, my soil was crawling with them, but it did not effect my flowering plants that much, thank god.

I have one clear container a 70liter with homemade mix. While looking to see if any algea had formed on inside walls I see these small white looking ticks running around like mad. nothing on the surface though just a few gnats which are dying off because I added a layer of perlite. Leaves are dry and almsot have a wilting look to them even though they are fed well, could the aphids be doing this?

red eye jedi

hey issack, how much water to the cup of diatom earth did you use? i used the diatom earth yesterday and they are still cruising around, i used a cup to 5 gallons of water.

HydroManiac

I am not growing in soil blue dog I am growing it in a combination of rockwool hygromite hydroton rocks with a little bit of coco fiber then I am hand watering the containers so I dont know for sure if those soil remedies will work.

HM

clowntown

Veteran
First, thanks for the great thread and use of DE. :yes: I will be trying this out very soon.

issack said:
the stuff i got is used for pool filters...it's the same stuff but just micro fine...with is better for us so it can get everywhere in the soil....
call a pool place as well.....
In Jorge Cervantes' book, he says:

Caution: Do not use swimming pool diatomaceous earth. Chemically tread and heated, it contains crystalline silica that is very hazardous if inhaled. The body is unable to dissolve the crystalline form of silica that causes chronic irritation.

Yo clowntown, what's up brother. Me and you are going through the same issue. I'm going to try neem and diatomaceous earth. I hope it helps.

clowntown

Veteran
This diatomaceous earth seems to be having no affect on them, wet or dry. Neem oil doesn't seem to be doing much, either. But then again, it could be keeping them under control, I don't know.

So far, I've tried with no success:
  • Einstein Oil (neem) - many media applications, 1 foliar
  • Floramite SC (when I had no idea what they were) - 1 application, foliar + media
  • Spinosad - many media, 1 foliar
  • Diatomaceous Earth - Dry sprinkled application to surface + forked into first 1/2" or so, plus later wet application by watering in; 1 application
  • Predator Nematodes - 2 applications of 1 million nematodes

I'm going to try some Bug Buster-O tomorrow (pyrethrins). Fuck I hope I don't have to get any BotaniGard.

I wonder if your talking about the same thing. :dunno: I have had the little jumping things before, they almost look like little sand fleas. I had always heard they were harmless.

Root Aphids dont jump. They SLOWLY crawl around like big fat dark brown pear shaped Aphids. The ones I have never crawl on the actual plant. They stay in the root zone. And they get flushed out every time I ebb/ flo.

Latest posts

Latest posts