What's new

Question on Pollen Production

hey jump as im sure you know the reversed balls dont always open but contain pollen what is your pollen collection method for your reversed fems? you may have a better method than me.

jump117

Veteran
Hey bicycle racer, in my previous first attempt when the pollen started I even opened every banana personally under microscope
using a pair of syringe needles as an instrument.

Sure it was a hard work of low efficiency. Then later I started to use two DIY instruments,
steel mesh strainer to break banana walls and a finer sieve to separate plant debris from a pollen, both around D 5 cm (2").
I also use sig flyers ("West") and a pair of mason jar lids to cover up and down sides. Load and shake the construction.
For more delicate shaking I drive a needle tip over the sieve like a wash-board effect.

I noticed that banana walls loses its strength very fast with drying and they may open by themselves while I'm collecting others.
I'm trying to avoid overdrying, it causes plant matter dusting, slack is enough.

I may help them to open with soft smearing on the strainer, then sift through the finer sieve. I posted the pictures earlier
.. First virgin grade goes from fine soft sifting of the whole flowers.

Second grade starts from crumbling through the coarse 800 mcr strainer and the results go through fine 200 mcr sift.

Second grade is bigger in amount and a little greener.
Describe your method plz.
.. im begining to collect fem pollen from a reversed lemon larry og kush and a blue dream ..
Post the data plz.

actually i do it in a some what similar manner though i do not have various micron screens as you do which is a better way. basically i pluck balls that have begun to open or look as if they will open no more they get placed in a container to dry for 12 to 24 hours at this point i use a funnel with some mesh to trap most plant material and allow pollen to fall through into a baggie. i either use the pollen right away or freeze it with silicate for later use. not as precise as your method but what i find funny is we settled on a similar method through trial an error. sometimes i simply get ripe balls that are starting to open i simply place these on top of buds as they dry the pollen drops right onto receptive pistils. my methods are crude but they work.

jump117

Veteran
Day 53d

Day 53d

Tops (male).

9days branch (bi-sexual) poor of bananas; seed (Maple_Leaf x (White_Russian x K2)) fem in bottom branch.

Works on pollen reaping.

jump117

Veteran
Day 60th

Day 60th

Six SK fem seeds were drown in CS before the planting into RW impregnated in CS.

My first fem SK seeds are alive, I didn't ask them yet to confirm their fem sex.

Now I see what do they mean talking about empty bananas. I meet them. They give a little pollen.
Is it strain depend or it goes because of spray regimen, I don't know.
I've stored a bit to my grow friends and other goes to pollinate my Opium (Paradise Seeds).

Maple_Leaf site; CS-male top; bi-sexual 9-days sprayed branch consists of balls, bananas, pistils and seed;
ML x SK fem seeds in the bottom, incl. under banana flower.

jump117

Veteran
Maple_Leaf was pollinated by Sugar_Kremlin (White_Russian x K2) fem 61 days back.
It was a single pollination on early flowering, next day I started CS spraying on Maple_Leaf.
Here is the 1st MLxSK fem seed. I suppose total <10.

---------------------------------------------
First CS spray on JACK HERER® (Sensi_Seeds).

Mr.Bigbud

This thread is great, all good info from BR and jump with no crap to sift through! This is a reversed positronic purple haze. its been flowering for a week and there are only male flowers, so hopefully theres some pollen to come. I tried this only once before, with my power plant, but got no pollen. I think I may not have sprayed long enough, or the colloid was too weak. I got both male and female flowers on that, but no viable pollen.
whitewidow.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Mr.Bigbud

Thankyou jump and BR, I'm getting lots of help from you 2! My last attempt failed, but this time its looking alot better. I've got male flowers on pretty much the whole plant, with just a few pistils here and there. I've been spraying 1-2 times daily from about 10 prior to 12/12, and I've had 1 flower open, should I continue to spray? And should I only be collecting flowers that have opened? Thanks for your help.

jump117

Veteran
Mr.Bigbud, when 2cc+ of pollen was yielded I sprayed daily after each collecting of opened flowers.

Mr.Bigbud

Cheers dude. I got the plant out today and had a good look with the magnifier. There were quite a few flowers that were open a small way and I have collected about 20 that are there. 1 or 2 dropped pollen as I was getting them where I wanted, so its already looking better than my last go. I have been spraying at lights out, but I will collect flowers everyday 1st and spray after. It would be good if you could get the flowers to grow on longer stalks so they opened properly, and I noticed one of you mentioned trying zinc. Could you just remove lots of the flowers so that they aren't clustered so tightly?

jump117

Veteran
Firstly I didn't like stalkless clustering and was going to use Zn, later I found this very suitable.
Stalkless flowers in tight clusters don't lose a pollen by themselves, they are waiting to be collected even being overriped.

Mr.Bigbud

Its worked! I can see there are a few seeds from when I started, and I've been doing targeted pollinations every other day so there should be quite a few more to come! I'm surprised how easy this is, and seeds are so easy to send to friends in any country!!