What's new

post your dog or fav. dog breed

NOKUY

Veteran
this is gonna be weird...im gonna try to call my bro in alaska that i havent heard from in years....dude w/ buddy....i dunno, but hes soo cool that he wont mind...he'll be surprised tho!

RottenDawg

Rottweilers!!!

Rottweilers!!!

OK folks, you want to see REAL dogs in action (well sorta) here 'ya go. Real dogs: ;-)

Yes my Bitch earns her right to be in charge. Dogs are the best people as I always say. Peace...........RD

e20sm0ke

I just picked up a puppy at the shelter the other day. its a shepard all white. I got real high and started thinkin puppieesss!! so i went to the shelter. its fun in there

ToKEN

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
hey yukon! I saw you used to have a great dane so I decided to plop some pics of my new baby I took with my girls cam...you'll like her dreads too :rasta:

I think she's 9 weeks in those pics. She's now 2 months. her names resin

NOKUY

Veteran
hell yeah i like the pooch and your girls dreads!

good lookin out.

...i wont go beyond theree.

ToKEN

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
haha she already thinks she's huge. she starts fights with my friends 5 year old golden retriever...she wins too sometimes

G. Sensi

Might be off topic.... Apologies if Im Hijacking.... Just doesnt seem worth opening a new thread....

What do you guys feed your dogs? Iams, Euk, Scince Diet, Pedigree etc... Wet or Dry? Anyone make their own dog food? Why do you like the one you use?
Im askin cause I want to switch my dobes food and thought I'd get some opinions if I could....

Again apologies if its too far off topic

-G

He was on Royal Canin for a long time which is incredibly expensive

stinkyattic

her dankness
Veteran
Miss Patsy

Miss Patsy

OEB x Boxer rescue- she's been hit by a car from what I can tell and is missing several teeth on one side, and has a lazy eye. But what I assume is brain damage kinda suits her- she's laid-back and kinda doofy, but super cute. You can pose her on the sofa in any position and she'll just shill like that until gravity gets the best of her. Gravity appears to have an unusually strong pull on this critter. She's a good buddy!

Edit: I feed her Nutrena herring and potato formula. Boxers have sensitive skin and digestive systems and it seems to be agreeing with her (except for the fish breath, yum yum).

Last edited:
When it comes to the bull breeds, I tend to agree with the argument that it's the owner that makes them vicious but there is more to it than just blaming the owners. There has been a lot of indiscriminate breeding and for breeds that were originally bred to use their teeth on other dogs that can mean trouble.

30 years ago I met a guy that had working dogs. To him dogs were like spanners to a mechanic, tools of the trade. He wasn't cruel, they got treated right but if they didn't earn their keep, they went. My first time in his house he was stitching up his lurcher as she had ran into barbed wire while they were out lamping the night before. The dog was laying quietly on his lap while he did the stitches, looked like she was well used to the routine.

He made a prediction that the bull breeds would make headlines in about 25 years time re. attacks on children. He blamed the banning of dog fighting as the cause. (I'm not trying to make an argument for bringing that back and neither did he. He never said he'd been to an organised dog fight but it wouldn't surprise me if he had.)

According to him, the fighting breeds were 'trench fed' as puppies. With a litter of 8, enough food for 5 puppies was put in the trough and the runts were culled before they starved to death. Once of age, their courage was tested. Any dog unwilling to take on something twice their size was destroyed. In the pit, a dog biting a human meant instant disqualification, the dog got killed and therefore removed from the gene pool.

A good Staffie he said, could be so outclassed in a fight it was crippled but when the next round came, it would crawl towards its opponent to have another go. The owner would normally concede before then and breed from that dog because the courage was proven.

In short, the attrition rate of fighting dogs was high and only those courageous in a fight but equally docile with humans were used as breeding stock. It just so happens that great fighting dogs make great pets, a real living entity that a young child can respond to, what kid doesn't want Rambo as their best friend?

Nowadays, if it looks like a Staffie it is considered to be a Staffie. Where I live, about half of the dogs you see being taken for a walk are Staffies, they are flavour of the millenium here but unless it's a sick runt, they get bred from. No controls, no test of courage, if it looks like a Staffie then it's a Staffie but let's be honest, most of them are an incomplete Staffie.

About 10 years ago a Staffie joined our family, we named her Molly. It didn't take long to learn why the Bull breeds are so popular as pets. To call her a dog (or bitch) was an insult to her, according to Molly, she was a quadruped human. Much as I loved her, her courage was in doubt. Out in the park, a Neopolitan Mastiff checked her out to the extent of standing over her. She took it, tail between the legs and a 'Beam me up Scotty' look in her eyes. The next week she saw a little Yorkie in a garden, ran at it and gave it such a head butt that it spinned and spinned. She got neutered the next month.

Despite her failings, she was a welcome addition to our family. One time she got attacked by another Staffie in the park. The friend that had taken her out as a jogging companion didn't know her that well at the time so there was no effort to separate them. According to my friend, Molly trounced the other dog and when she came home her eyes looked she had taken a good few lines of white powder, gawd do those dogs love a fight, probably the happiest day of her life. I never saw that look in her eyes again.

The jogging friend had a daughter that I would babysit sometimes. At the age of 4 she soon learned that she could bully Molly and Molly took it, attention is attention, 'nuff said. The little girl started pushing the boundaries and took to grabbing Mollys' skin and twisting it. There came the most blood curdling growl you can imagine (it scared me!) and the little girl turned as white as salt. She never did that again. She still bossed Molly around though and Molly was happy to obey.

Molly managed to get out one day and Staffies have zero traffic sense, it's a busy road and Molly got run over and killed. Many thanks to her for turning my daughters life around (long story) and also for her just being her, it was a privilege to be part of her life.

Sorry for the ramble but I can see where people are coming from re. the Bull breeds. There really is something special about them. I only got to see a watered down version with Molly but that was enough to convince me.

To keep these breeds there has to be SELECTIVE breeding similar to how it was done when dog fighting was legal. I'm not trying to make a case for the legalisation of dog fighting but the implementation of standards that gets us the same results.

Last edited:

stinkyattic

her dankness
Veteran
I have never seen a class of dog so happy to entertain a herd of children as the bullies I've been around. Patsy, and my former dog Tess (same mix, also a rescue), both have been gentle and tolerant around children both individually and in groups, in loud family gathering situations where many dog breeds would have felt overwhelmed and nippy.

Thanks for the great post PharmaGeddon!

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
Labrador retrievers!

I've always owned Labs and Lab crosses, my current dogs are a older Golden/Lab cross and a much younger large Black Lab.

My favorite dog ever was a huge Labrador/Newfoundland cross, she was very loyal, freindly and quick to stand up to potential danger. A great dog, she died of a kidney diesease that can be genetic, a big loss for our family.

I'd like to get another Newfoundland/Lab cross when my Golden girl get too old for the trail, but often they can be expensive, even when not pure bred.

7710Stand_alone_plot_000_planting_May_21_2008_008_Small_.jpg

77105-29-08_preping_HM_1_006_Small_.jpg

77109-04-07_OR95_x_N_and_East_side_of_plot_copy.jpg

77107-23-07_Seed_plants.jpg

77107-23-07_OR95b-med.jpg

7710NLxPurple_6-11-05-med.jpg

7710NLxPurple_6-4-05-med.jpg

7710Low_matience_plot_2_5-10-06_003-med.jpg

7710Sky_lakes_9-26_thru_28-06_079-med.jpg

77102003_0518_103814AA-med.JPG

77105-10-07_Grow_parteners_copy-med.gif

Last edited: