What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Overgrow.com any of the OG's in the house?

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was on overgrow. I signed up when I was 17. I’m 39 now. Crazy. My name was foam_FINGER or something. Got tons of great advice from all the old growers. I remember at that time I was growing in closets and a few tents in Texas where I grew up. I didn’t even move west until 2010. Just getting seeds was hard back then.

CharlesU Farley

Why wouldn't we be? At the time I figured I'd be target #2.5. LOL I was posting gorgeous pics of the latest strains that I was growing. I sent seed by the thousands all over the world. I sent and received Bud, clones, cookies and other edibles to and from much of the Moderation, Mentor and Membership. Gypsy used my pics on the TV in the window of his shop in Amsterdam when it opened, probably "Sweet Tooth" at the time. I had some Gorgeous pics of that. I was living in a state that cannabis was illegal in. I was in contact with several, I guess one could say "prominent" people in the industry. I was the perfect example for the DEA.
NADA, Nothing.
Because the DEA _liked_ having OG up and running, so they could capture IP addresses. It's called a honey pot. LEOs set up something real attractive to those who they want to target, capture their IP info, and eventually relay it to regional/state officials here in the U. S.

Local authorities scan the IP addresses to get physical addresses, and if any of them look familiar from local dealers/growers, sheriff's follow those individuals and figure out a reason to pull them over. Hence my comment, "one headlight dimmer than the other". They didn't need a real reason, probable cause is that they've got info that you're posting "marijuana" growing advice on a Canadian website, so they're going to pull your ass over.

Hopefully, you've got nothing illegal in your car when they do it.

Back in the late '90s when internet traffic was not nearly as massive as it is now, it wasn't really that difficult to do, technically.

My knowledge of things that transpired on OG, or any other forum for that matter, after the Patriot Act passed here in the US is non-existent.

I declined to participate.

Last edited:

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
Good to meet you. I don't remember the nic, but there were so many members. I was pretty much ~S~ and RC's enforcer lol, so if I don't remember you it's more than likely because you didn't cause any problems. lol

It's always the trouble maker who get remembered... mostly

there are those of us who have been here since OG went down. I never had a camera during the OG era.

CharlesU Farley

there are those of us who have been here since OG went down. I never had a camera during the OG era.
Up until last year, I used a Nikon 4300 point and shoot camera from 2002, with a massive 4.1 megapixels for pics I put on my website, starting in 2018. One thing it most certainly didn't have was any GPS capabilities whatsoever.

Even _I'm_ not paranoid anymore, got a Pixel 7 that doesn't record the GPS info that I post in here regularly, and I'm still in a very backwards SouthEast US prohibition state. Cops around me are _much_ more worried about meth and fentanyl these days.

There's still people in Prohibition states here on IC that post pics with the GPS data available with the right click of a mouse. I'm talking about their exact street address.That shit is very fucking dangerous.

Imagine a contentious thread and getting into a flame fest with a real asshole and them having access to your real, _exact_ street address.

Google the term "swatting", if you're not familiar with it.

I'm out of this thread y'all, nothing of further value to add that you don't already know. :)

Kryptonite

That can be true. Some of the troublesome members were easy to remember because rather than being able to put the work in making the site better we had to waste our time babysitting them. I also remember much of the staff that worked so diligently to make OG the most informative site like it at the time. The Moderation and Mentor team, those who worked on things like the Strainbase, FAQ's, Tutorials, etc. I was also a SuperMod at CW and knew many of the staff there as well. All of these people put work into the site because they cared about advancing cultivation methods and teaching people how to grow their own so they could quit buying schwagg from the black market, none of them made a penny for their work.
I still see names here that I recognize from those days, some of us were members of This site before it was even online.

Kryptonite

And this picture folks is your team of super mods and admin at overgrow back before the plug was pulled
View attachment 18941446

A Great example of Friendship, Loyalty, and putting others before yourself.
In 2004 I flew down to Gainsville Florida to meet a friend that I'd known for several years, but only over the internet. We talked over the net, the phone, and sent each other packages of goodies over the years. Honey, seeds, grub, et all. A group of us who worked together on a website which was the largest of its kind in the World had planned a fishing trip and get together for the first time. I was Admin of the website, and the rest of the crew were my first mates, "Super Moderators". Tommy and I got along like gang-busters, we talked over the phone once a week for years, we leaned on each other during good times and bad. The rest of the crew we'll say, had reservations about me. LOL We all developed great relationships and remain in contact to this day. Except for Tommy, RIP My Great Friend.
anywho, to the point.
On the day I arrived, Tommy was to pick me up at the airport. Tommy was a surveyor. At the end of his day, just before picking me up on his way out of the area he was surveying, he slipped and fell on a cypress stump. It must have hurt BAD, most of his leg was severely bruised from his knee to his hip. I can't imagine how he could have even walked after that, it had to be painful. Rather than going to the hospital, he came to pick me up at the airport. Spoke VOLUMES. We spent the next three hours at a statcare. Amazing Friend.
After leaving the emergency care, he took me back to his home and introduced me to his lovely wife and family. The next day we drove to Boo's "I refer to it as "Boo's resort/mansion". Boo left Tommy and I there while he drove to the airport to pick up one of our other friends "Gunny". Pretty trusting guy to leave us in his place having never met us in person. That night our friend, "GSTQ God Shave the Queen aka Queenie" drove his BMW motorcycle from the Florabama line to meet us at Boo's place.. The next morning the five of us had a great day fishing in the Gulf of Mexico, ate fish all day, made plans for the future of the site, and partied hard. lol.
Tommy never complained about his injury the entire time.
In 2016 I took Mom to Disney and the beach for her birthday and met Tommy there. They had already met once before when Tommy visited my place with his son in law. During that time Tommy showed me that injury he received back in 2004 and it looked as bad as it did that day. That day left a scar on Tommy, but a Bond on us both.
DAMN GOOD FRIEND! I wish he was still here with us .

I still thank ~Shabang~ for his part in making this happen.

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I joined Overgrow in 2003. I was "raco" ...now I'm 66 years old. :)

Memories

IMG_20240424_002120.jpg

Mr. J

Sorry bud, Reality Ranch is a bitch, isn't it? :)
Your paranoid delusions have nothing to do with reality.

By your own admission you weren't even there, yet you accuse others in this thread of being imposters with fake names, meanwhile it's actually you who isn't the real Chuck Farley who was an OG oldtimer, lol.

It's actually hilarious how that worked out.

Last edited: