What's new

Organics for mites

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i have a few sprayers, they are sweet for applying foliar sprays.

im probably the only person around here who doesnt have roundup in it.

T

tuinman

Flotation, sorry my fat thumb neg repped you on my I-pad, sorry man

I added one to sort out the karmic imbalance. =)

This has made my life so much easier (using the passthrough, not 90 nozzle), I'm able to lay lavender or ACT across the entire property with hardly any work at all:

fPU6X.jpg

Any consensus on whether or not adding dishsoap/neem/yucca ex/aloe ex etc makes significant improvements to the straight lavender infusion? Sounds good to me but only have dishsoap to hand and kind of wary on using it:dunno:

In any foliar, a little liquid soap acts as a surficant... Kind of like crude oil on the ocean, spreads the foliar out to a thin film on the surface, rather than large beads of foliar, rolling off.

I always use a surficant. Less than a TEAspoon for my 2 gallon sprayer over here.

Surficants are not used ONLY for mites, It helps with coverage on my brix spray too!

Manitoid

C

CC_2U

Sweet mother of f*cking Jesus Christ - can ANYONE explain to me why using 'soap' is somehow preferable to using a legitimate saponin agent?

Since its saponins which MUST be added to 'soap' to make it a f*cking surfactant in the first place?

Circumlocution thinking - again?

CC

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
What an awesome thread :dance013:
Thanks to jaykush for the amazing lavender mite mix :good:
I've had moderate success with eucalyptus, it does work no doubt about it but watch out make it too strong and it will kill your plants, thanks again I'll be trying this out with some local winter lavender in the next couple of weeks :tiphat: :D
picture.php

:blowbubbles: :gday:

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
can anyone explain where the you need soap comes from.

water
lavender
spray bottle

all you need.

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sweet mother of f*cking Jesus Christ - can ANYONE explain to me why using 'soap' is somehow preferable to using a legitimate saponin agent?

Since its saponins which MUST be added to 'soap' to make it a f*cking surfactant in the first place?

CC

When it costs $4 a bottle of Earth Choice, Aloe vera dishsoap from my local supermarket...?

But i see your point :D

Must establish a nice patch of the old aloe :smoke:

Edit: Lavender and water = natural saponins too?

Tanglefoot arrived today. Seems i ordered the tree version. It says not to use on young, thin barked trees or to bearing fruit or nut trees...?? So i should use greaseproof paper layer or summit?

Jorge Cervantes reckons just straight on the stem and lips of containers.

http://www.marijuanagrowing.com/dhtml/media_articles_en_18.php

CC

holy touchy subject? a few drops of dr bronners in two gallons is not hurting anything!

dig up a yucca though if you're looking to be hardcore. they are hard to dig up!

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I understand neem is organic, or could be, the bug irritant stuff in neem is azadirachtin. It shows up in AzaMax, mite rid and probably more mite mixes. Anyone use these mixes? Were they effective? more so than say dyna gro neem?

I ask because I just was gifted some clones/mites. They look great but under magnification the underside of several leafs had mite eggs/babies. I sprayed with pyrethrum right away, and want to start a regular treatment as they grow. These are unrooted clones, so after spraying with pyrethrum about two hours later I sprayed them with water to rinse. My normal routine is to spray with dyna gro neem oil mixed with dr bronners soap and water at two week intervals in veg/early flower. I think finding them right away and the cooler fall temps will help me in my control. Would it be worth it to buy some azamax, or stick to what I have on hand. thanks .......scrappy

Here is something I have used to good effect against mites:

Neem Oil + Pyrethrine (Spruzit, and other brand names).

The pyrethrine paralyses their behinds, the neem oil suffocates them, the azadarachtin in the neem oil screws with their exoskeleton, reproduction, etc.

You can even put it into a bottle and market it as sMITEr (TM).

All kidding aside, the combination of neem and pyrethrine is very effective. It needs repeated application, because you can miss some.

I like to spray the underside of leaves (hold the plants at an angle or just put the nozzle way into the foliage), the top of the plants, the soil, and then put the sprayer on a steady stream and hit them hard - which knocks off quite a few pests just by force.

A good schedule is to spray on neem oil 3 x per week, and then add pyrethrine to it once a month, or once a week if you have serious problems.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Another alternative is to grow herbs with your weed - there are a lot that are natural habitats for predatory insects, as well as attractors of pests.

Pests will always go for the easy meal, so if you can find out what their favorite food is, you can plant that around your weed. If you then add an insect repellant to your weed (like neem oil), from the pest's point of view, you have the combined effect of repulsing pests from your weed, and attracting them toward another plant.

ogenko

i seem to have picked up some mites from one of these clone only businesses that loves to rave about how great and bug free their cuts are hahahah
so now i got three lavender plants (one in my garden) and while my flowers are drying, i got some chamomile/lavender tea which i have tested out on one plant
from all the replys on this thread im gonna guess the lavender spray works.... thanks for bringing it to our attention jaykush ;)
picture.php

...a quick amazon search found pounds of dried lavender flowers for around 12 dollars

holy touchy subject? a few drops of dr bronners in two gallons is not hurting anything!
dr bronners lavender baby
OLLA32EA.jpg

its funny how man comes up with all these wild solutions to challenges,
and GOD always has a simple solution!!

Scrappy4

Veteran
Just a couple observations. Lavender with higher camphor levels (spanish)seem to work the best. And while lavender flower sprays do seem to work well the effects don't last long. So spraying every couple of days and taking into account the bug's life cycle due to temps and what not might be important to consider.......scrappy

Amber Trich

right on scrappy, I live way up north and have to grow munstead which is kind of a hempy(less potent) lavender plant. I just make the tea much much stronger than recommended.

used to spray neem regularly for mites, added the lavender to the mix and havent seen a mite since spring/early summer ..the combination seemed to be better than either neem or lav alone.

2000pm

Do you have to rinse off the dr.bronner soap pray after application? I am seeing a lot of mixed answers on searches.