What's new

Organic nutes and symbiotic soil life

SativaBelieva

Wow Muddy! Thanks for that quality link! Nice read and plenty more scientific links to follow... I've copied some text below...

"Compost teas are distinguished from compost extracts both in method of production and in the way they are used. Teas are actively brewed with microbial food and catalyst sources added to the solution, and a sump pump bubbles and aerates the solution, supplying plenty of much-needed oxygen. The aim of the brewing process is to extract beneficial microbes from the compost itself, followed by growing these populations of microbes during the 24- to 36-hour brew period. The compost provides the source of microbes, and the microbial food and catalyst amendments promote the growth and multiplication of microbes in the tea. Some examples of microbial food sources: molasses, kelp powder, and fish powder. Some examples of microbial catalysts: humic acid, yucca extract, and rock dust.
Depending on your scale of production and the level of financial resources available to purchase commercial brewing equipment vs. making some kind of homemade brewer, there are several methods to choose from. Research at Soil Foodweb, Inc. in Corvallis, Oregon has shown that differences exist in the beneficial attributes of compost teas, with commercial tea brewers producing the greatest numbers and diversity of beneficial microorganisms.
Essentially, compost tea production is a brewing process that extracts microorganisms from compost followed by microbial growth and multiplication. This includes beneficial bacteria, fungi, protozoa, and nematodes. When compost teas are sprayed onto the leaf surface, these beneficial organisms occupy spatial niches on the leaf surface and gobble up leaf exudates that pathogenic organisms would otherwise feed on to prosper; other microbes directly interfere with pathogenic organisms through antagonism.

Ideally, compost teas contain both an Abundance (immense total number) and a Diversity (vast mixture) of beneficial microorganisms which perform different functions. Pathogenic organisms that land on the leaf surface simply cannot compete with the beneficial organisms and therefore have a greatly reduced chance to initiate disease in the first place."

Dkgrower

Veteran
Hey all, have been growing organic veg's outdoor with my foks and there I learn alot abouth soil preservation-vitalisation and composting. I move to the city some years ago and started to grow indoor, but fore some stupid reason I had the Idea that going indoors and getting good results, requires them inorganic nut´s. This is going to be my last indoor grow using inorganic nuts-

Now it' s time fore a soil bed with fresh compost- erath worm´s- and organic nutes- sea weed :yummy:

One thing I learn form my foks that is adding the leaf´s of Dianthus plumarius to your compost really kick´s up bacteria activtity- I must also work if you ad some to a soil mix,. what i have been told it stimulates bacteria to grow

A natural way of getting your plants a organic K suplement is from symposium officinalis, we let the fresh plant or dry'ed soke in water fore a coupel of days and yoused it on tomato plants when flowering.

:woohoo:

J

JackTheGrower

Dkgrower said:
Hey all,
Now it' s time fore a soil bed with fresh compost- erath worm´s- and organic nutes- sea weed :yummy:
:woohoo:

That's what I did this year.

21-24 cubic feet of home made composted soil.

That's a lighter on a fan leaf and I Vegged onh 14/10

Organic indoor Rocks!

Latest posts

Latest posts