What's new

Open G-ECU (grow electronic control unit)

Ron Burgundy

I sure hope there is OSXversions of the software, but I do realize that could be asking alot for what it is. Good luck, I am very interested/excited to see how this ends up.

clowntown

Veteran
It probably wouldn't be too difficult to write an easily portable version... maybe a non-GUI based system in C, easily portable to OSX (and Linux, FreeBSD, etc) and build a platform-dependant GUI frontend? :confused: Or use GTK and keep it uniform...

Either way, I'd not waste so much time on designing the multi-platform thing and get to the hardware first; otherwise, this could quickly become yet another "all talk but no product" ...

Last edited:

een

This is the PCB layout I am going to have made. BLue is the bottom layer and red is the top. It wouldn't fit on a 5x5" PCB (for a 6x6" junction box) so I went up to 7x7" and placed the mounting holes to fit in a ATX or micro-ATX case (or a 8x8" junction box if you're boring).

The top left edge will correspond to the connectors panel of an ATX computer case. I added some more features and will give a final list later. Hopefully there are no bugs, I will have the PCBs by February and should have it working by March!

I am setting up a site on sourceforge that will have the PC software in C# .net form. My plan for the free software is to develop an 'API' (application programming interface) for the microcontroller, that will do things like turn relays on/off and report sensor status (i.e. it will give you full and simple access to the hardware). Then I will write an app in c# to control only light cycles and pump timings, and maybe show the sensor status in a graphical way. Essentially the free software will have the OGECU tethered to the PC for control. Thereafter you have to write your own software (or pay heaps for mine hehehe).

Last edited:

clowntown

Veteran
I think the open software thing is a great idea. This will allow a great deal of innovation and development from the interested parties, while you can focus on the hardware... a win-win IMO. I don't know a whole lot about business but I would think that if you price the hardware right and possibly include a support package deal, not many parties will be interested in ripping it off.

Great job so far; it's really great to see this thing taking off and not just an idea kicking around anymore! :yes:

een

I actually want people to rip the hardware off lol. Hopefully growtronix.com will get interested because it is right up their alley.

But anyway, here is a preview of the setup software (I am pretty proud of it :joint: ). I think it covers everything, if you can see something it should have, let me know. This is all eye candy for the moment because none of it has been implemented, but I am sure it is all possible with this microcontroller and hardware.

Last edited:

mrgrowmez

how much are you thinkin of charging per kit? im excited to see the finished or at least protoed version. good luck
MR.G

een

Should easily come under US$100 for the parts.

Expensive bits are (in US$):
PCB $10
Microcontroller $7 (from Digikey.com)
Humidity sensor $10 (digikey)
Relays $2 each x 7
Optocouplers, mains-rated capacitors $4
Plastic cover over mains parts $2
Connectors $2-10 (depending if you want nice levers and pluggable connectors, or really cheap spade connectors)

So thats about $60, to make a kit I would add $40, then $50 to assemble and test. I could only do about 20 before going insane. In the long term (if enough people want it) it has to be machine assembled, which brings the cost of assembly to only about $15 per board.

It's illegal for a business to market a mains-connected thing like this to the public, so the plan is to convince a grower in each country/continent to set themselves up as a supplier.

clowntown

Veteran
een said:
It's illegal for a business to market a mains-connected thing like this to the public, so the plan is to convince a grower in each country/continent to set themselves up as a supplier.
Really? Why is that? I don't understand this concept...

Rare Groove

clowntown said:
Really? Why is that? I don't understand this concept...
Pretty sure it has to do with the safety factor- like in the US any device run on household voltage has to be UL approved in order to be sold on the general market. Otherwise it's regarded a 'fire hazard' and is 'unsafe' since it hasn't been tested.

een

It has unprotected mains connections? I am not a lawyer but as I understand it, if you want to sell a mains connected product it has to be safety tested ($6000+ for that little UL mark) and mounted in a protective box so the public won't get electrocuted. Since it's electronic it also has to be FCC tested ($2000 for the little FCC mark). That's why hobby electronics companies sell kits, rather than assembled boards, because once you assemble it you also have to put it in a protective box as well and get it tested :( Just another stupid legal technicality. So companies like growtronix will only sell it in kit form. Unfortunately I think most people will want/need it to be assmbled, this means we have to organise that ourselves.

I just sent the PCB to be made, should take about 2 weeks to arrive. Here are the new or updated (now final) features:
* Uses cheap cat5 ethernet cable and connectors for RS232 connection
* RS232 will plug directly into Telaire 800x CO2 sensor
* Trickle charger circuit to keep battery topped up from main supply without need for separate charger
* Extra AC input for use with AC plugpacks
* The humidity sensor can be snapped off and mounted remotely

D

DB2004

If a unit is "custom made", not a production unit, and the customer/store is aware of this, then the item can be sold. I build lots of custom units and never a problem.

nUt_jOb

een - very interested in your setup and for everything here $150 is nothing compaired to the amhydro controllers which dont even come close to the same functionality for 10x the price. PM me when you are ready to sell one.

A question I had when I took a closer look....

Nutrient dosing only seems aimed at one resevior and is limited to 3 parts based on the software screen shots I saw.. Im guessing this setup needs to be used on a one resevoir system or otherwise you will need one controller per res? I guess with something this awsome we could just adapt by using one big res and syncronizing the rooms but I just thought I would ask.

trademanny

Using this: http://www.owfs.org/index.php?page=wireless-router you could put together a system that would do all your light timing, temp monitoring (pretty much anything growtronix can do) as well as have a wireless network interface so you could easily develop a web interface to check temps, etc, etc.

Think about it.. web surf to your grow-cab that is hidden in the closet and has an encrypted wireless link to your home network.

Could be done for like $200 if you're not scared of a soldering iron and know a little linux

een

DB2004 said:
If a unit is "custom made", not a production unit, and the customer/store is aware of this, then the item can be sold. I build lots of custom units and never a problem.

That's another way to do it then... I still don't think a legit business will touch it unless it's in a box though, and a lot of people will have trouble wiring it up unless it is, so I guess you have to sell it in a box or this is just for people who can figure out the wiring and trust themselves to work with mains. As long as it can't be traced back to me. :sasmokin:

Latest posts

Latest posts