What's new

okay, here is a stupid thougth.

plutiot

so i just saw this video on youtube about hemp growing... rigth.. norhing special exept it was the tallest hemp field to date or whatever... pretty cool.. but one thing..stood out to me, im my high state rigth now, they said they planted the hemp plants pretty close to eachoder, so.. they would compete for the sunligth, (alot of variables like strain and longditude bla bla bla, cool video), but i was thinking in a SEA.OFGREEN. setting...persay in my little closet grow... if i found a big black tub.. and just poured some seeds with (????) distance, and alot of space for roots... i havent even researched this, but the competing for sunligth thing sounded a bit interesting... please dont bring me out back and put me out of my missery, i am really wonder!!

<- video for reffererence

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
so i just saw this video on youtube about hemp growing... rigth.. norhing special exept it was the tallest hemp field to date or whatever... pretty cool.. but one thing..stood out to me, im my high state rigth now, they said they planted the hemp plants pretty close to eachoder, so.. they would compete for the sunligth, (alot of variables like strain and longditude bla bla bla, cool video), but i was thinking in a SEA.OFGREEN. setting...persay in my little closet grow... if i found a big black tub.. and just poured some seeds with (????) distance, and alot of space for roots... i havent even researched this, but the competing for sunligth thing sounded a bit interesting... please dont bring me out back and put me out of my missery, i am really wonder!!

<- video for reffererence

Good question friend and thanks for the post. In order the the hemp or any plant to max out the height it needs strong light, adequate nutrients, and plenty of good water. If you plant a plant in soil that is limited in nutrients it will compete with the others and remain small. If the plant has limited light, nutrients, and water then one will shade or hold the water from the other plants restricting growth.

I once planted live plants outdoors in an amended bed that was amended with peat moss, compost, and a dose of slow-release high-nitrogen fertilizer. The ratio was 29-0-0 I think. When the above-normal Spring rains came the plants grew like crazy even planted close together. I have never seen plants grow so big and fast as that year. The plant stocks grew as big as my fist and the trichomes were very thick. Growing conditions matter in the case above.

Last edited:

Cuddles

I came across this one or two years ago and intended to start a thread but I guess I sort of forgot to do so.
This concept is called the Miyawaki method

I had always wondered why people who plant several seeds in one grow pot get such great results. I always thought that plants should be given as much space as possible so they can spread themselves out, get as much light as possible etc.

When I read one or two articles about this method it kinda began to make more sense to me :)

Here´s a link:

there´s losts more written about it elsewhere too

Cuddles

It is a shade avoidance response. It’s useful when long stems are advantageous, such as farming hemp for fibre, or trees for timber.
does it also work for more `bushy´ plants, because some plants to like to branch out a little more esp when you top them, right?

plutiot

It is a shade avoidance response. It’s useful when long stems are advantageous, such as farming hemp for fibre, or trees for timber.
oooor just maby for uneven shot cannopies?... im probably not spending my meager bugdet to try it out, but i really did wonder, so got some nice answers, next i migth try two in one larger pot, my current project runs, but slow, but because of me falling out routine and stressing a lil bit (should have read more before i started, but it was my first , experiment plants lol, if they work, my next seeds will work for sure

Mr Jay

Veteran
HI, degree holding NRT Forester here, this is absolutely correct. You're looking for height and limb exclusion as any limbs compromise the lumber milled from the timber. The way to achieve this is to plant close enough that the trees compete and optimally grow in a co-dominate fashion. Fiber hemp is planted in the same way.

For growing seed or bud this would be the lest optimal growing technique.

plutiot

Good question friend and thanks for the post. In order the the hemp or any plant to max out the height it needs strong light, adequate nutrients, and plenty of good water. If you plant a plant in soil that is limited in nutrients it will compete with the others and remain small. If the plant has limited light, nutrients, and water then one will shade or hold the water from the other plants restricting growth.

I once planted live plants outdoors in an amended bed that was amended with peat moss, compost, and a dose of slow-release high-nitrogen fertilizer. The ratio was 29-0-0 I think. When the above-normal Spring rains came the plants grew like crazy even planted close together. I have never seen plants grow so big and fast as that year. The plant stocks grew as big as my fist and the trichomes were very thick. Growing conditions matter in the case above.
im a city-dweller. but been fortunate enough to have a big yard with my land lord, so next step for me, try an continue 2-4 every run (i dont have more space), but with the yard i will start learing a bit more about compost since i got the space, i use general hydro nutrients rigth now, but id like to look into organic, thru this summer, probably make a little compost pile. great answer by the way, my brain went pretty fast to: big plants = big yeild.

plutiot

I came across this one or two years ago and intended to start a thread but I guess I sort of forgot to do so.

I had always wondered why people who plant several seeds in one grow pot get such great results. I always thought that plants should be given as much space as possible so they can spread themselves out, get as much light as possible etc.

When I read one or two articles about this method it kinda began to make more sense to me :)

Here´s a link:

nice article, where i live they have pretty much overgrown fir threes and pines over the centuries, and in the old day they where spaced pretty exact, as a result you get tall pines, standing in line with little to no undergrowth, finding a indoor companion plant could be fun, and maby i crazy but just maby weeds are like threes and mycelium, your weed grows bad? maby its lonely?

Cuddles

nice article, where i live they have pretty much overgrown fir threes and pines over the centuries, and in the old day they where spaced pretty exact, as a result you get tall pines, standing in line with little to no undergrowth, finding a indoor companion plant could be fun, and maby i crazy but just maby weeds are like threes and mycelium, your weed grows bad? maby its lonely?
I´ve been thinking about this too :) But my grow pots are pretty small and I also have to keep my plants small anyway. But yeah, some plants do better in the commpany of other plants. At the same time though some plants don´t like being next to each other at all.
no idea how weed does growing next to herbs or lettuce etc

Last edited:

Drop That Sound

What did the lettuce say to the herb? "Click click!"

Cuddles

What did the lettuce say to the herb? "Click click!"

very interesting stuff. I was aware that plants respond to things such as music or instance but I didn´t know that they make noises too.
I wonder if pets such as dogs are able to detect these clicking noises

Last edited:

Cuddles

What if you could playback specific ultrasonic plant noises that surround the area and scare away mites or other garden pests?

;)
I´d love that ! I keep getting bugs in my flat and I hate them :( I live on the second /third floor but insect have wings which sucks!

plutiot

I´ve beeb thinking about this too :) But my grow pots are pretty small and I also have to keep my plants small anyway. But yeah, some plants do better in the commpany of other plants. At the same time though some plants don´t like being next to each other at all.
also how many liters/gallon
very interesting stuff. I was aware that plants respond to things such as music or instance but I didn´t know that they make noises too.
I wonder if pets such as dogs are able to detect these clicking noises
this opens up a whole new bag of inter species communication questions, heard somewhere, if you sing to your plants and/or talk to em you tecnically let more co2 in the area, i have my current flowers next to my bed.. need to find a better closet/cabinet, i be hearing that fan in my sleep lol

plutiot

I´ve been thinking about this too :) But my grow pots are pretty small and I also have to keep my plants small anyway. But yeah, some plants do better in the commpany of other plants. At the same time though some plants don´t like being next to each other at all.
Update: went out, got a bit more earth, and bougth a pack local flower seeds/field seeds, will do a bit more research, maby plant some outside first while i do lol

plutiot

Here´s a link:

image.jpg
nevermind the wierd local names, but almost everything on the list is picked an hour away from i am, if i cant have em in the grow room they sure is useful around composting, read somewhere some flowers help by eating alot of exess fertaliser, and digging deep roots fast, still gotta research