What's new

Northern Lights Micro, 16"x16"x32"-- 97 watts LED, Low Odor.

Forum Participation. keep #9 or chop?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

singlecoiled

Haven't dug through all of this thread, but a fabric pot is absolutely the best thing you could do for the development of cannabis roots.

I love cloth pots as well. I'll have to adjust my watering routine while I adjust to the Coco Loco. Its very different than regular soil thats for sure. I'll get it figured out. Meanwhile, my plant is doing just fine.

crimsonecho

For anyone wondering about Coco Loco from Fox Farm, its terrible if you ask me. I'll be moving back to soil after this grow. With a lot of Perlite added, this medium holds way too much water and watering to runoff isnt an option. I was hoping the addition of Coco to soil (Coco Loco) would increase drainage and aeration. It seems to be doing the opposite....

Seems to me a cloth pot isnt a good plan with this soil. Its drying out too much on the sides and tops while remaining soaking wet in the middle. So, basically I'm both underwatering and over watering at the same time. !
i just use dry plagron bricks for my coco needs and i can recommend it with confidence based on my experience. i gave up on the cloth pots too. plastic rocks, sadly.

piper

singlecoiled

i just use dry plagron bricks for my coco needs and i can recommend it with confidence based on my experience. i gave up on the cloth pots too. plastic rocks, sadly.

was just about to post about thc % and then seen your post

100% correct, i am glad i was one to never fall into the

thc% trap :) :)

I've been to my local dispenseries to buy high THC strains ( 25% plus) and have not been impressed. My personally grown Northern Lights are much better. I will say that the NL buds vary WILDLY though, the lower buds being lame and the top of the tops are silly strong.

Last edited:

crimsonecho

There seems to be pros and cons to many things in this hobby. I've seen advanced growers using plastic pots with great results. I think the cloth pots are more forgiving, but if you have your watering skills down, plastic could be nice too. Less waterings = less work !

Cloth pots==

Pros:
Good for newbies, hard to over water....
More feedings as they require more waterings. I'm not quite sure if this is good or bad.
Root pruning, no circling of roots like a plastic pot...

Cons:

Mold potential.
Sides dry too quickly in low RH settings (winter for me)
Tough to tie down branches--- cloth moves..
dont carry as well..

Plastic

Pros:

Cheap
Less risk of mold on wet cloth.
less watering needed.
better for training--you can tie branches down easily.
Easy to carry

Cons:

If you arent sure about waterings, you can smother roots by over watering. You have to have some skill to use these... ( I use a scale to weigh water weight in soil, this might work with plastic..)

I also tried the plastic Air Pots ( you can see a 7 gallon air pot in my cabinet picture first post... ) I'm not a fan, hard to water and it dried out too fast on the sides... My plant only used 2-3 gallons of soil out of 7 in the Air Pot; such a waiste.

View attachment 18938703
yeah pros and cons to everything but i’ll tell you where cloth pots stopped working for me, when you give the medium a nice dryback and water again you either have to do it stupid slow or you’ll have to deal with runaway water from everywhere. at this point i just picked up 4 20 gallon plastic pots and just went with it. super clean super tidy.
7AFF8B2F-45E7-45C2-A6DD-221AF54AEA35.jpeg

i also made raised beds with those airpots and i gotta say they work great that way bc in a bed i dont have to water the outer edges heavily so no runoff and they hold shape well and breathe great.
DE6DAADC-2DB7-4D83-A2B2-86A99674C46E.jpeg 3442B908-5486-4D85-A723-CE52578B46E6.jpeg

singlecoiled

yeah pros and cons to everything but i’ll tell you where cloth pots stopped working for me, when you give the medium a nice dryback and water again you either have to do it stupid slow or you’ll have to deal with runaway water from everywhere. at this point i just picked up 4 20 gallon plastic pots and just went with it. super clean super tidy.
View attachment 18938721

i also made raised beds with those airpots and i gotta say they work great that way bc in a bed i dont have to water the outer edges heavily so no runoff and they hold shape well and breathe great.
View attachment 18938724 View attachment 18938725

Wow, I sit looking at these pictures stunned. Amazing ! I love the way you trained the plants and were able to let them get so big. (rub it in for us Micro Growers---joke).... Its all good, I can still grow, thats the point of this thread.

I might try plastic next grow, we'll see.... I hear what your saying about the dry back, but the air pots were worse for me with side leakage.

So many different directions to go with this hobby, you gotta love it.

crimsonecho

Wow, I sit looking at these pictures stunned. Amazing ! I love the way you trained the plants and were able to let them get so big. (rub it in for us Micro Growers---joke).... Its all good, I can still grow, thats the point of this thread.

I might try plastic next grow, we'll see.... I hear what your saying about the dry back, but the air pots were worse for me with side leakage.

So many different directions to go with this hobby, you gotta love it.

thanks man. by no means i’m an advocate for plastic i hate plastic i use glass wherever i can in my daily life and if glass not possible then steel but when it comes to grow containers i dont know i choose plastic.

i’ve seen killer plants grown in cloth pots too and believe me i grew some killers in them myself but this side leak problem was just too much for me and cannabis really likes good dryback so i was spending so much time cleaning or watering slowly each time i water.

agree with you on that airpot leakage problem, for making beds though they are pretty close to perfect haha

singlecoiled

Thread drift, feel like crap thought I'd take a Covid test just to play it safe. I tested positve...When will this thing end?

Be careful out there all...

Sore throat, Head ache, burning eyes and a tight chest/cough. I may need to leave my bong alone for a liitle while, smoking cant be good ! Its a shame too because Northern Lights would really make me feel better...Maybe I'll make edibles.

crimsonecho

Thread drift, feel like crap thought I'd take a Covid test just to play it safe. I tested positve...When will this thing end?

Be careful out there all...

Sore throat, Head ache, burning eyes and a tight chest/cough. I may need to leave my bong alone for a liitle while, smoking cant be good ! Its a shame too because Northern Lights would really make me feel better...Maybe I'll make edibles.
get well soon man if you cant stay away from weed completely at least stay away from smoking definitely.

singlecoiled

I removed all the lower foliage and the second node from both sides today. All the hard work is done, I'll be flipping to 12/12 soon and it should be " set it and forget it" for flower... (cruise control)...

I'll be installing some type of ring or tomatoe cage to keep the eight colas in a perfect circle.

_DSC6087.JPG

_DSC6094.JPG

Something similar to this will be used to keep the circle of colas under the strongest light possible. I'll only be using a single ring, not three as shown below.

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:

singlecoiled

I used four cups of rabbit manure from my pet rabbit and things are nice and green. I havent fed nutrients in over 3 weeks---the Rabbit manure is stronger than I thought. I have been using recharge and a little cal mag into RO water.

Here you can see the "circle" starting to form. The third nodes really needs to catch up to the first, they are behind quite a bit.

_DSC6109.JPG

Last edited:

singlecoiled

Flipped to 12/12 on Friday 1/5. This one is staying low and bushy, perfect for my 36 inch vertical grow space. I hate to do it, but another huge defoliation will be coming soon to get some air under the canopy. She'll be hitting the stretch soon.

This grow has been nutrient free so far, all organic using rabbit manure. Its time for a big shot of foliage pro as the leaves are looking a little pale if you ask me....

_DSC6116.JPG

Last edited:

singlecoiled

Thanks, with a little Ibuprofen, its not been all that bad.

I'll post some update pictures as soon as I feel better, my new mainline is in with three nodes per side.

get well soon man if you cant stay away from weed completely at least stay away from smoking definitely.

Thanks man, my entire family wound up with Corona and after a week or so, we are fine. We all have a lingering cough which means I've had a long smoke/tolerance break. (minus the edibles I made, god i hate edibles, its just not the same !)

crimsonecho

Thanks man, my entire family wound up with Corona and after a week or so, we are fine. We all have a lingering cough which means I've had a long smoke/tolerance break. (minus the edibles I made, god i hate edibles, its just not the same !)
had a 3 month+ tolerance break due to a severe gout flare up very recently so i feel you haha. i make some mean chocolate with destroyer qwet its like electric running down my spine. dont know man i like that edible lol

singlecoiled

had a 3 month+ tolerance break due to a severe gout flare up very recently so i feel you haha. i make some mean chocolate with destroyer qwet its like electric running down my spine. dont know man i like that edible lol

I havent mastered my edible or decarb skills and it seems like I go through a lot more weed making edibles. Its nice to eat a cookie and just sit and wait, but getting the doseage right is tricky.

Last edited:

crimsonecho

I havent mastered my edible or decarb skills and it seems like I go through a lot more weed making edibles. Its nice to eat a cookie and just sit and wait, but getting the doseage right is tricky.
i just weigh the dry material and assume the thc to be between 8-10% for decent fluff to 20% for tops. then do qwet from the material and assume a drop of couple of points in thc then dose it at 15-20mg per piece of chocolate. not 100% precise but works most of the time.

for example: 1gr fluff is 1000mg. 10% of 1000mg is 100mg. with the loss from doing just a quick wash with ethanol the resulting qwet should be good for 4 pieces of chocolate. but tbh since its fluff i’d do 3 from this qwet haha

i put the qwet in the fridge and it evoporates relatively quickly in there without suffering much drop in quality compared to heat treatments. it doesnt turn into pure oil though so you will have some alcohol in there but its 96% pure ethanol so its no big deal to me.

Last edited:

singlecoiled

i just weigh the dry material and assume the thc to be between 8-10% for decent fluff to 20% for tops. then do qwet from the material and assume a drop of couple of points in thc then dose it at 15-20mg per piece of chocolate. not 100% precise but works most of the time.

for example: 1gr fluff is 1000mg. 10% of 1000mg is 100mg. with the loss from doing just a quick wash with ethanol the resulting qwet should be good for 4 pieces of chocolate. but tbh since its fluff i’d do 3 from this qwet haha

i put the qwet in the fridge and it evoporates relatively quickly in there without suffering much drop in quality compared to heat treatments. it doesnt turn into pure oil though so you will have some alcohol in there but its 96% pure ethanol so its no big deal to me.

Wow, I have to admit you lost me a bit here, apparently I have some learning to do when it comes to making edibles. I use the "firecracker" method, decarb at 240 for around 30 minutes (give or take) and I simply eat the decarbed weed.

I've heard alcohol is used to increase potency and have considered trying it. I'll have to find some everclear if I can. I think its illegal in my state now, we'll see..

I have at least 3 ounces of shake thats piling up from my grows. Its getting old now, I guess I should cook it..

View attachment 18944815

Latest posts

Latest posts