What's new

New Varieties, Dangerous? REPLY

zamalito

Veteran
I just remembered some lightly bricked domestic herb we had that was going around about 15 years ago. It made many in my circle of friend's lips swell quite noticeably. It is a hilarious thing to think about and remember my friends with big lips. I can't say if it was something genetic about the herb but it does cause some concern in retrospect. I don't know the grower but fairly certain it was domestic

Sam, did the reaction also occur with very pure hashish made from the same afghan plant? The reason I ask is those cystolith hairs covering many surfaces of cannabis could be part of the culprit. Perhaps this plant had something unique about its covering. The toxicity in asbestos and allergic reactions to pollen have less to do with any particular chemical interaction and more to do with the shape of its particles. The same thing happens with my pitbulls who have very little fur on their chest and belly when they roll around in wet grass they get covered in welts which sometimes even scab over. I'm confident my dogs reaction also has to do with the surface texture on the blades of grass.

zamalito

Veteran
Sinful, my wife gets bad sinus headaches and I always prescribe her hashish. In Afghanistan smoking hashish as an expectorant to clear up a cough and drain mucus out of sinuses probably goes back as long as they've been smoking it. In Hashish! He says the afghans take a huge hit out of their hubble bubble for their first hit which clears the mucus out of the lungs so they can smoke more with less coughing afterward.

imnotcrazy

There is ALWAYS meaning to my madness ®
Veteran
I wouldn't go so far as to say it was the domestic "bricked" cannabis Zam. It's quite possible after processing some adulterant was there to cause those reactions. I saw some guys smoke from Palm Fronds. They didn't have a cigar or papers and were making Palm crosses and used some to roll a blunt. The Palm Oil caused their lips to swell similar to what you described.

.♠.

Wow, that is interesting Zam, thanks for the info.

I just know that I was sick for quite some time with sinus problems, and the doctor finally got me to stop smoking (herb only, I don't smoke cigs) and the sinus problem went away. He told me it was due to the smoke causing probs.

I wonder if he was just trying to get me to stop smoking......lol, that sucker....

Peace

houndog

I have a sensitivity to some strains of fresh MJ; especially the big fan leaves, my skin will react to the contact and it makes me itchy with hives, so does pollen from many different kinds of plants. As to who or what is causing a reaction or causing an effect, Im not sure.

In my studies as a park naturalist I learned of a shrub eaten by Northern Hares, the shrub will eventually produce a toxin that will poison and decrease the hare population.
However, that only happens when the shrub is feeling threatened. I wonder if MJ feels threatened, certainly not by me.

Sinfuldreams

Basement Garden Gnome
Veteran
Just rubbed some Sour Mist on a guys inside fore arm.. 20 mintues he had a very small rash Itched for a few minutes and went away in 1/2 hour.
Did the same to me.. nothing.
But I don't react to poisin Ivy either so....

Sin

It is formic acid along with piperidine alkaloids in the hairs of the plant especially under the leaves that is causing the rashes, bumps, etc. Some people are more sensitive to ant bites, and the realization of these chemicals only really gets potentialized outdoors.

That is why it is able to happen with vegging plants that are not high in trichomes, and it would be most concentrated in live plant material. And not so much dry for the material (buds) we actually dry and smoke, although they may have hairs. And if so, outdoors, then yes lips, etc. can also be affected.

It would not be dangerous, some Benadryl or any antihistamine would do the trick, so it never killed nobody. You can get a skin like looking dermatitis with red dots that itch and usually the skin can break after excessive itching. But it is no more dangerous than ants. Some people also have allergies to common weeds, so would be interesting to hear from those with allergies to common ragweeds, etc. respond to dried and smoked cannabis, as well as live fresh plant material, preferably leaves.

Found this info on ant venom:

"they all sting and inject a venom that causes the release of histamine, a chemical in our bodies that can produce pain, itching, swelling and redness of the skin. Within seconds after the stings, discomfort occurs at each site and a small red welt appears. Each welt can enlarge rapidly, depending on the amount of venom that was injected and the victim’s sensitivity to the venom. The reaction persists for up to an hour, and then a small, clear blister will form. Over the next half day or so, the fluid in the blister may turn cloudy, and the area will begin to itch. Most people experience only a small amount of redness around the sting site. A small percentage of people are sensitive to the venom and experience more extensive redness and swelling. A few victims have extensive allergic reactions such as breathing difficulties or widespread swelling of body parts or worse.

The fire ant’s venom is mostly an oily alkaloid mixed with a little protein, and your one chance to lessen the effect of the bite is to quickly break down the protein. Try dabbing the bite with diluted bleach or Kleen ‘Em Away Naturally® or Safe Solutions, Inc. Enzyme Cleaners, or covering it with a paste of meat tenderizer and water. This method is not effective if more than 15 minutes have passed."

http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_info2.shtml

Found piperidine ant alkaloids and others on Erowid:

Compounds found in Cannabis Sativa

(-)-[delta 1]-3,4-trans-tetrahydrocannabinol (most active cannabinoid)
(-)-[delta 6]-3,4-trans-tetrahydrocannabinol
tetrahydrocannabitriol (aka cannabitriol)
cannabidiolic acid
cannabidiol
cannabinol (forms after plant dies)
THC acids A and B (inactive unless smoked)

Minor constituents:

cannabigerol
cannabigerolic acid
cannabichromene
cannabichromenic acid
cannabicyclol (aka cannabipinol)
cannabicyclolic acid
cannabicitran
cannabielsoic acids A and B
cannabinolic acid (neutral cannabinoid)
cannabichromanon
cannabifuran
dehydrocannabifuran
2-oxo-[delta 3]-tetrahydrocannabinol
cannabigerol monomethyl ether
cannabidiol monomethyl ether
cannabinol methyl ether
propylcannabidiol (aka cannabidivarol & cannabidivarin)
propylcannabinol (aka cannabivarol & cannabivarin)
propyl-[delta 1]-THC (aka [delta 1]-tetrahydrocannabivarol & tetrahydrocannabivarin)
propylcannabigerol
propylcannabicyclol
propylcannabichromene
methylcannabidiol (aka cannabidiorcol)
methylcannabinol (aka cannabiorcol)
methyl-[delta 1]-THC (aka [delta 1]-tetrahydrocannabiorcol)
[delta 1]-tetrahydrocannabivarolic acid

Nitrogen-containing compounds:

choline
trigonelline
muscarine
piperidine
N-(p-hydroxy-B-phenylethyl)-p-hydroxy-trans-cinnamide
neurine
L-proline
L-isoleucine betaine
hordenine
cannabisativine (alkaloid found in the roots)

[compiled from "The Botany and Chemistry of Hallucinogens" by Schultes & Hofmann]

Yes, it is the piperidine and formic acid projected from these hairs. Yet most strains have the fuzzy hairs, just with differences in the chemicals they use to protect themselves with such as the formic acid and piperidine, especially pronounced with more hairs when grown outdoors. Buds from outdoors could have minimal hairs, and dried possibly low in the active concentartions of the alkaloids when in the live plant.

Here is some info on plant hairs:

"The most elegant specializations of plant hairs for defense are glandular trichomes, which secrete adhesive materials that physically entrap and immobilize insects and mites or which contain toxic or deterrent substances. Trichomes of this type are common in the nightshade family (Solanaceae) and plant breeders have created new varieties of potatoes (Solanum) and tomatoes (Lycopersicon) that resist insect pests because of glandular hairs on their leaves and stems. Other crop plants in which glandular trichomes are being used to breed for pest resistance include alfalfa, strawberry (Fragaria), sunflower (Helianthus), and tobacco (Nicotiana)."

http://www.bookrags.com/Trichome

Found this info on cannabis hairs from 1974:

"Author: A. de PASQUALE, G. TUMINO, R COSTA de PASQUALE
Pages: 27 to 40
Creation Date: 1974/01/01

Micromorphology of the epidermic surfaces of female plants of Cannabis sativa L .
A. de PASQUALE
G. TUMINO
R COSTA de PASQUALE
Institutes of Pharmacology and Pharmacognosy of the University of Messina (Director: Professor A. Imbesi)
The electron scanning microscope is of great use in pharmacognosy because it enables valuable contributions to be made to the study of the micromorphology of the superficial tissues of drugs. The considerable resolving power of this instrument and its great depth of field give it clear advantages over the light microscope.

Morphological micro-characteristics may be of great importance both for drug identification, particularly in cases in which the other characteristics are insufficient, and for plant taxomony.

The observation of epidermes by means of a scanning microscope, which reveals the finest details of the cuticle, stomata, trichomes, etc., is of particular value in the case of Cannabis sativa L., because it permits very precise comparisons of the characteristics of such elements, some of which may assume a quality of specificity. This plant, in fact, tends to deviate from the original strain according to its environment; moreover, plants obtained from seeds from different sources and grown in the same region tend to assume similar characteristics, not only from the morphological standpoint, but also as regards resin content and composition.

The micromorphology of hemp may also be of legal importance, because the observation of certain special morphological features, such as glandular, cystolith and covering hairs, can assume probative value, in conjunction with chemical and chemico-physical analyses and biological tests.

The trichomatous formations of hemp have generally been described as belonging to the following three types: (1) capitate glandular hairs; (2) unicellular cystolith hairs; and (3) unicellular covering hairs of varying form and size in the different parts of the plant.

In a previous study [ [ 1] ] , using a light microscope, we observed how, in addition to the capitate glandular hairs, there were other hairs - sessile hairs or hairs with very short stalks - present on the bract covering the female flower - referred to as the "perigonal" bract [ [ 1] ] , on the tepals and anthers of male flowers, and on the lower surface of leaves.

These observations were confirmed during our successive research using the transmission electron microscope and the scanning electron microscope [2,3]. Only Fairbairn [ [ 5] ] has recently detected, on the lower surface of the leaves and bracts, and on the anthers, large sessile glands.

In the course of other earlier research [ [ 4] ], we had demonstrated how the active cannabinoid elements are present in all the aerial parts of the female hemp plant, and also in small quantities in the roots. We nevertheless felt that it would be useful to examine under the scanning electron microscope the epidermis of the stalk, the leaf limba, the petiole and the floral and perigonal bracts at the various stages of development of inflorescence and infructescence, in order to identify any relationships that might exist between superficial glandular formations and resin production.

Experimental technique
The various fresh parts of the female plants of Cannabis sativa L., derived from seeds from Amindeon in Greece and grown at Messina, were fixed immediately after removal, using 4 per cent glutaraldehyde buffered at pH 7.2 by Sorensen's phosphate buffer solution (0.05 M), then washed for a long time in water, and finally dried for lyophilization. The purpose of lyophilization is to prevent, as far as possible, distortions due to dessication and vacuum conditions, particularly in the case of the most frail samples with a high water content. The specimens were subsequently coated with gold in a JEE-4B Vacuum Evaporator-Jeol. Observations were made with a Jeol-JSM-S1 scanning electron microscope.

Results
Two Zones are apparent in the stalk: ( a) the lower part; and ( b) the green tips of the stalk and branches.

In the lower part and in the intermediate part, whose structure is secondary, the thin layer of cork which replaces the epidermic tissue appears to be formed of cells which are mostly rectangular (fig. 1), regular and covered with suberous lamellae. Only in places, where suberification was not complete, was it possible to detect very occasional unicellular, long, slender covering hairs with a verrucose surface; no glandular hair was detected.

In the younger parts of the stalk and branches, whose structure is primary, the epidermic tissue is composed of rectangular or isodiametric cells, with regular, straight contours and occasional stomata. The youngest cells (fig. 2) are covered with a thin cuticle; on the older cells (fig. 3), it is possible to detect irregular layers of cutin, which appears to accumulate mainly on the guard cells of the stomata, on the related cells, and on the cells surrounding the base of the cystolith hairs. Along the lines of contact between two neighbouring cells, the cutin is often arranged in a string-of-beads pattern.

The very numerous covering hairs are unicellular, with verrucose surfaces, vermiform, of varying sizes, straight or curved, and in some cases bent in the manner of a knee: some hairs have branches which anastomose with neighbouring hairs. Cystoliths (fig. 4) are infrequent, short, isolated or grouped in clusters of three or four. We observed very infrequent sessile glands approximately 45-55 µm in diameter.

The petiole has, running parallel to the axis, longitudinal protrusions along which the epidermis appears to be composed of rectangular, slender cells elongated in the direction of the axis itself, and it has conical unicellular hairs, with verrucose surfaces, some of which are very thick and long, and others distinctly smaller. In the hollows (fig. 5), between the above-mentioned protrusions, polygonal cells, covered with a striated cuticle, can be observed, with infrequent stomata and very numerous short hairs (fig. 5), which are unicellular, conical, straight or curved, with smooth or verrucose surfaces. In the hollows it is also possible to detect more numerous sessile glandular hairs than in the stalk, swollen, 40-60 µm in diameter, and others which are less developed, considerably smaller and 15-20 µm in diameter.

FIGURE 1 - Surface of lower part of stalk

FIGURE 4-Epidermis of branch: cystolith

FIGURE 5 - Epidermis of petiole

FIGURE 6 - Upper surface of leaf: cystolith hairs

FIGURE 7 Upper surface of leaf: glandular hairs

The epidermis of the upper surface of the leaf appears to be composed of polygonal cells covered with a thick cuticle with close-set striae, sometimes in a fan-shaped pattern. It has many cystolith hairs (fig. 6), at various stages of development and more abundant along the veins. These hairs have a verrucose surface and are surrounded at the base by numerous cells (up to 20), arranged in a rosette pattern, more prominent than the surrounding cells, and covered with the cuticle with spoke-like striae. Stomata are infrequent and, in most cases, arranged near the median vein of each leaf segment. Occasional sessile glandular hairs can be detected, also arranged near the veins (fig. 7).

On the lower surface of the leaf (fig. 8), the epidermic cells are smaller than those of the upper epidermis and their cuticle is less thick and briefly striated. There are very numerous stomata and abundant unicellular covering hairs, elongated, conical, with verrucose surfaces, straight or bent, and with a sharp apex. Some hairs are anastomosed with neighbouring hairs. The glandular hairs are numerous, sessile, swollen or collapsed (fig. 8). On the veins, the covering hairs are more abundant, longer and more tapering, pliant and bent; the cystolith hairs are long and slender; glandular hairs are infrequent, and sometimes have short stalks.

The epidermis of the upper surface of the floral bracts is similar to that of the leaves. The cells are polygonal, covered with thick striated cuticular scales. There are fewer cystolith hairs than on the leaves; along the veins they are shorter, whereas in the spaces between the veins they are longer and the cells surrounding their base protrude beyond the neighbouring cells. Near the veins, occasional sessile glandular hairs may be detected.

FIGURE 8 Lower surface of leaf: covering and glandular hairs

The lower surface of the floral bracts comprises very numerous stomata, and slender unicellular covering hairs, with a smooth surface, pliant and bent. On the veins, the hairs are more robust and longer, with verrucose surfaces; the base of some is swollen. In the spaces between the veins, there are very numerous glandular hairs, some of which are sessile and others have short stalks; these hairs are fewer in number along the veins and, in the bracts of infructescences at maturity, their stalks are considerably more developed than those of the inflorescences.

The " perigonal" bract, or covering bract - which some authors incorrectly term the tepal bract, covers the perigonium and pistil of the female flower [ [ 1] ]. Most of the resin is produced by its secretory glands, which is why it feels sticky to the touch.

The external, or lower, epidermis of the perigonal bract (fig. 9) is composed of polygonal cells with thick edges and covered with a thin striated cuticle; the infrequent stomata protrude slightly in relation to the other epidermic cells. The few covering hairs are unicellular, rigid, with verrucose surfaces, and bent, particularly along the veins. Cystolith hairs, which are often broken, can also be detected between the veins. Near the edge of the bract, the cells have thinner edges, the stomata are more numerous and the covering hairs are more pliant and more pointed.

There is a very large number of glandular hairs of varying length, some of which are stalked; in some cases their head is swollen with resin and smooth and in others collapsed and devoid of resin. These hairs are more numerous on the veins. In the area between the veins, beside the stalked glands referred to above, there is an approximately equal number of swollen sessile glands, some of which are very large and others considerably smaller (fig. 10). Near the edges the glands are generally sessile and of small size.

On the perigonal bracts which cover the ripe fruit, the stalked glandular hairs have a proportionately longer foot, and in many cases their heads are held together in clusters by the copious resin (fig. 11).

The internal , or upper, epidermis of the perigonal bracts is composed of rectangular cells, with curved and distinctly thick edges and an irregularly striated and thickened surface. Stomata are very infrequent and the unicellular covering hairs, which have smooth surfaces and are flattened, are so compressed by the adherence of the bract to the pistil that they frequently bear the imprint of the epidermic cells themselves (fig. 12). It is also possible to detect slender cylindrical hairs, and near the edge, glandular hairs with short stalks, pear-shaped tips, bent and lodged in hollows in the tissue of the bract itself (fig. 13).

Conclusions
Of the elements observed, those which are of value as regards the production of resin, to which the biological activity of the drug is related, are the glandular formations which, as we have noted, are present in all the aerial parts of Cannabis sativa L. They are particularly numerous on the external surface of the perigonal bract, but also numerous on the lower surface of the leaves and floral bracts, and on the petiole. They are also present, although in very small quantities, on the upper surface of the leaf and the floral bract, on the inner surface of the perigonal bract and on the green parts of the stalk.

FIGURE 9 Perigonal bract: external epidermis, hairs and glands

FIGURE 10 - Perigonal bract: external epidermis, glands

FIGURE 11 - External epidermis of perigonal bract of nature fruit : stalked glands

FIGURE 12. Internal epidermis of perigonal bract: covering hairs FIGURE 13 Internal epidermis of perigonal bract: glands

FIGURE 14 Head of stalked gland

These glands may be divided fundamentally into two types: ( a) stalked or capitate glands and ( b) sessile glands.

The stalked glands were detected in considerable numbers on the external surface of the perigonal bract, and in smaller quantities on the lower surface of the floral bracts; on the other hand, they are very infrequent on the lower surface of the leaves.

They are composed of a stalk, which achieves maximum development on the bracts when the fruit attain maturity. The stalk, which is multicellular and multiseriated, is surmounted by a head, which is more or less swollen, composed of numerous irregular and rather thick polygonal cells with undulating edges.

The stalk, when examined under the transmission electron microscope [1, 3], is seen to be composed of a row of cells of epidermic origin, which cover one or two rows of cells that are similar to those of the palisade tissue and contain photosynthetically active chloroplasts. These glandular formations may nevertheless be regarded as "emergences" since the parenchymatous tissues situated below the epidermis also participate in their formation.

To the two apical cells of the stalk is attached the head, composed of two concentric layers of cells arranged in a rosette pattern and covered with a thin cuticle. The secretion produced by the cytoplasm, on passing through the pores [1, 3], accumulates on the outer edge of the external layer of the head cells and causes the cuticle to become detached by raising it and distending it like a vesicle. The secretion comes out through the openings which are formed by the rupture of the cuticle following the pressure exerted by the secretion or by movements caused by mechanical agencies. As they grow larger, these openings may join in long fissures from which emerges the resin (figs. 14 and 15) which clots on the hairs and in many cases sticks them together (fig. 11).

The " Sessile" glands are present in small quantities on the epidermis of the stalk and branches, in large quantities on the petiole and on the upper surfaces of the leaves and floral bract, and in even greater quantities on the lower surfaces of the leaves and floral bracts. On the external surface of the perigonal bract, they are very numerous - almost as numerous as on that of the stalked glands.

These glands take the form of a hemisphere of variable diameter, with a taut or more or less wrinkled (fig. 16) surface. When detached and observed laterally, they too, however, can be seen to have a short foot.

These glands cannot be regarded as a primary phase of the development of the stalked glands described above, because, unlike in the case of the latter, only the epidermic layer is involved in their formation. In addition, they are full of resin, and when this is discharged, they shrivel and cease to perform their function.

On the external surface of the perigonal bract, particularly near the edges, there are also many glands, but of much smaller size, in which it is possible to distinguish the cells which compose the head, because the cuticle, in most cases, is not dilated by resin. Glands of the same type also exist on these bracts after the development of the ovary into a fruit.

It is interesting to note the presence, on the internal surface of the perigonal bract, of infrequent hairs with short stalks and ovoidal heads, which are lodged in hollows in the surface caused by the adherence of the bract itself to the pistil.

Cannabinoids exist in all the aerial parts of the female plant Cannabis sativa L. These substances may also be observed in the roots, albeit in smaller quantities.

The absence of external glandular formations in the root and the small number of such formations in the stalk lend strength to the hypothesis that, in addition to the external secretory tissues, there are internal secretory cells which contribute to the formation of the resin.

FIGURE 15 - Head of stalked gland: detail

FIGURE 16 "Sessile" gland

Summary
We have described the characteristics, observed under a scanning microscope, of the epidermic tissues of the stalk, petiole, leaves, and floral and perigonal bracts of the female plants of Cannabis sativa L., grown at Messina.

Covering hairs and cystolith hairs are present in all the above-mentioned parts of the plant.

Stalked glandular hairs may be observed in considerable quantities on the lower surface of the floral bracts and on the external surface of the perigonal bracts, and in smaller quantities on the lower surface of the leaves; they do not exist on the upper surface of the leaves and floral bracts, or on the petiole, stalk and branches.

Sessile glands exist in all the parts observed; they are far more abundant on the lower surface of the leaves and floral bracts, and on the external surface of the perigonal bracts, as compared with the upper faces and internal surface of these organs.

The presence of the glandular elements is related to the production of resin in the various parts of the plant."

Here is some more info:

"Most varieties contain cannabinol and cannabinin; Egyptian variety contains cannabidine, cannabol and cannabinol, their biological activity being due to the alcohols and phenolic compounds. Resin contains crystalline compound cannin. Alcoholic extracts of American variety vary considerably in physiological activity.

Found this link on piperidine in tobacco hairs:

Tobacco leaves are covered with trichomes (hairs) that have multicellular glands on their tips. These glandular trichomes produce a sticky resinous material that contains many of the flavor and aroma components. Tobacco also produces many internal, secondary components, including pyridine alkaloids. The most important alkaloid is nicotine, which acts as a stimulant to the user and is addictive. Nicotine is quite toxic, and products containing nicotine were used as early insecticides. The adverse health effects of smoking, including nicotine addiction and the increased risks of cancer, emphysema, and heart attack, are well documented.

Tobacco has been extensively used as a model system in many basic scientific studies. Pioneering work in quantitative genetics, tissue culture techniques, plant physiology, and genetic engineering have utilized the unique characteristics of tobacco, which has been referred to as "the white rat of the plant world."

Let me find some more. Pyridine = Piperidine, and if it was condensed enough to produce an odor, it would smell "fishy".

http://www.bookrags.com/research/tobacco-plsc-04/

Chemical Molecule Description:

Choline C5H15NO2 A molecule which is categorized in the Vitamin B group and also found in meats and eggs .

Eugenol C10H12O2 An aromatic liquid which is also found in clove oil and is sometimes used in perfume.

Guaiacol C7H8O2 Molecule also found in local anesthetic and antiseptics

Piperidine C5H10NH Liquid used to make rubber and certain glues such as epoxy.

Ants also secret formic acid just like nettles does, so there is possibly a cocktail, maybe even with acetic acid on the list.

http://www.bookrags.com/Carboxylic_acid

Interesting to note that formic acid is used to make meth, while piperidine is used for PCP. And so one could even go so far as to say that these toxins for insects are like being drugged with a hallucinogenic cocktail of histamines, piperidines, choline, and if they are lucky, THC.

Now extremely hallucinogenic weed would be dangerous, but it does turn out that way in that nettles are not hallucinogenic, unless THC is somehow altered or co-affected by other alkaloids and terpenes, just like the other cannabinoids. It could also be a case of certain ratios of cannabinoids, terpenes, alkaloids, etc. all going along with each other within certain strains outdoors moreso. And yes the hairs can break off the plants with their formic acids, etc.

"The stinging hairs on nettle are sharp polished spines that contain histamine and formic acid."

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/stinging-nettle-000275.htm

http://www.britannica.com/ebi/article-9331190

"Stinging nettles are easily distinguished plants with a memorable sting. This plant has fine hairs on the stems and leaves. Each hair is like a hollow needle filled with formic acid, the same chemical in ant saliva and bee stings that causes pain to humans when bitten. This acid can redden the skin and cause a non-spreading rash that can last up to 24 hours."

Vitamin C is recommended as well.

"The hairs on the downy stalk and leaves closely resemble quills, they are hollow rising from a swollen base wherein small cells containing formic acid are housed. This acid, which causes the stinging sensation, is a mixture of histamine, serotonin and choline; the same compounds found in ant saliva. Remedies are usually close by, housed in sword ferns, sage and mint leaves or even human spit. Most substances which are base will neutralize the formic acid relieving stinging sensations."

http://www.spruceroots.org/June01/Nettle.html

So the formic acid that some cannabis projects from its hairs may possibly be a cocktail of histamine, piperidine, and choline. Some more than others, but the histamine would account for the itching, piperidine the swelling bumps, and choline would cause something possibly. A plant with a "bite", more so outdoors though.

[It is not from the terpenes, but the alkaloids which are not concentrated at any bud sites. It would still have to be outdoors, or one hell of an indoor setup.]

Last edited:
S

sow the seeds

I have really bad allergies and get the stuffy/runny nose when I smoke too. More than other people I know. Its really annoying. I've found that it runs more for some reason when I vape and more stuffy when I smoke...strange.

That swollen lips bud musta been pretty funny too lol.

Found "piperidine ant alkaloid and others to study) on Erowid:

Compounds found in Cannabis Sativa

(-)-[delta 1]-3,4-trans-tetrahydrocannabinol (most active cannabinoid)
(-)-[delta 6]-3,4-trans-tetrahydrocannabinol
tetrahydrocannabitriol (aka cannabitriol)
cannabidiolic acid
cannabidiol
cannabinol (forms after plant dies)
THC acids A and B (inactive unless smoked)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Minor constituents:

cannabigerol
cannabigerolic acid
cannabichromene
cannabichromenic acid
cannabicyclol (aka cannabipinol)
cannabicyclolic acid
cannabicitran
cannabielsoic acids A and B
cannabinolic acid (neutral cannabinoid)
cannabichromanon
cannabifuran
dehydrocannabifuran
2-oxo-[delta 3]-tetrahydrocannabinol
cannabigerol monomethyl ether
cannabidiol monomethyl ether
cannabinol methyl ether
propylcannabidiol (aka cannabidivarol & cannabidivarin)
propylcannabinol (aka cannabivarol & cannabivarin)
propyl-[delta 1]-THC (aka [delta 1]-tetrahydrocannabivarol & tetrahydrocannabivarin)
propylcannabigerol
propylcannabicyclol
propylcannabichromene
methylcannabidiol (aka cannabidiorcol)
methylcannabinol (aka cannabiorcol)
methyl-[delta 1]-THC (aka [delta 1]-tetrahydrocannabiorcol)
[delta 1]-tetrahydrocannabivarolic acid

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nitrogen-containing compounds:

choline
trigonelline
muscarine
piperidine
N-(p-hydroxy-B-phenylethyl)-p-hydroxy-trans-cinnamide
neurine
L-proline
L-isoleucine betaine
hordenine
cannabisativine (alkaloid found in the roots)

[compiled from "The Botany and Chemistry of Hallucinogens" by Schultes & Hofmann]

Yes, it is the piperidine within these hairs, or non-bulbous trichomes, in other words not really on the smoked parts of the plant. For instance, it happened with the outdoor plants only and only with certain strains. Down below there is some info on how the plant will develop more hairs to combat solar radiation, and other external conditioners. Yet all strains have the fuzzy hairs, just with differences in the chemicals they use to protect themselves with such as the piperidine, especially produced with more hairs for outdoor growth. The actual red spots and itching can well cause you to wonder if you were actually just bitten by real ants or if you came into conatct with another plant or irritant, but nope. It is the piperidine in the cannabis placed at the hairs for protection especially when outdoors with certain strains. Why these strains happen to have this alkaloid may be from nature, and man unkowingly kept those traits as they came with other favorable traits that coincided with high contents and success and survival rates up to and including but not limited to THC and terpenes. Although for us cannabinoids and terpenes are the best part. Here is some info on plant hairs:

"Aerial surface hairs

Epiderm of Arabidopsis thaliana with a trichome.Trichomes on plants are epidermal outgrowths of various kinds. The terms emergences or prickles refer to outgrowths that involve more than the epidermis. This distinction is not always easily applied (see Wait-a-bit climber). Also, there are nontrichomatous epidermal cells that protrude from the surface.

A common type of trichome is a hair. Plant hairs may be unicellular or multicellular, branched or unbranched. Multicellular hairs may have one or several layers of cells. Branched hairs can be dendritic (tree-like), tufted, or stellate (star-shaped).,

A common type of trichome is the scale or peltate hair: a plate or shield-shaped cluster of cells attached directly to the surface or borne on a stalk of some kind.

Any of the various types of hairs may be glandular.

In describing the surface appearance of plant organs, such as stems and leaves, many terms are used in reference to the presence, form, and appearance of trichomes. The most basic terms used are glabrous—lacking hairs— and pubescent—having hairs. Details are provided by:

glabrous, glabrate – lacking hairs or trichomes; surface smooth.
hirsute – coarsely hairy
hispid – having bristly hairs
downy – having an almost wool-like covering of long hairs
pilose – pubescent with long, straight, soft, spreading or erect hairs
puberulent – minutely pubescent; having fine, short, usually curly, hairs
pubescent – bearing hairs or trichomes of any type
strigillose – minutely strigose
strigose – having straight hairs all pointing in more or less the same direction as along a margin or midrib.
villosulous – minutely villous
villous – having long, soft hairs, often curved, but not matted

Hairs on plants are extremely variable in their presence across species, location on plant organs, density (even within a species), and therefore functionality. However, several basic functions or advantages of having surface hairs can be listed. It is likely that in many cases, hairs interfere with the feeding of at least some small herbivores and, depending upon stiffness and irritability to the "palate", large herbivores as well. Hairs on plants growing in areas subject to frost keep the frost away from the living surface cells. In windy locations, hairs break-up the flow of air across the plant surface, reducing evaporation. Dense coatings of hairs reflect solar radiation, protecting the more delicate tissues underneath in hot, dry, open habitats. And in locations where much of the available moisture comes from cloud drip, hairs appear to enhance this process."

Another interesting article on trichomes hairs breeding for protection:

"Trichomes

Trichomes are single or multicellular outgrowths of the plant epidermis and collectively constitute the pubescence (hairiness) of the plant surface. These epidermal hairs in many plant species are specialized for defense against attack by insects and mites. The mode of defense used by trichomes is determined by whether they are nonsecretory or glandular, as well as their density, length, shape, and degree of erectness. When present on the plant surface at high densities, nonsecretory trichomes create a physical barrier to insect feeding on the underlying surface or internal tissues. Barrier defense is an important element of resistance to leafhoppers in cultivated crop plants such as alfalfa (Medicago), cotton (Gossypium), and soybean (Glycine). Although not defensive, similar but downward-pointing trichomes in the upright tube of the carnivorous pitcher plant (Sarracenia) create a "lobster pot" effect preventing the escape of prey. Beans (Phaseolus) have evolved fish-hook-shaped trichomes that help to anchor their climbing vines but the hooked feature is also defensive because leafhopper and aphid pests are impaled and captured by these hairs. The most elegant specializations of plant hairs for defense are glandular trichomes, which secrete adhesive materials that physically entrap and immobilize insects and mites or which contain toxic or deterrent substances. Trichomes of this type are common in the nightshade family (Solanaceae) and plant breeders have created new varieties of potatoes (Solanum) and tomatoes (Lycopersicon) that resist insect pests because of glandular hairs on their leaves and stems. Other crop plants in which glandular trichomes are being used to breed for pest resistance include alfalfa, strawberry (Fragaria), sunflower (Helianthus), and tobacco (Nicotiana)."

Micromorphology of the epidermic surfaces of female plants of Cannabis sativa L .
A. de PASQUALE
G. TUMINO
R COSTA de PASQUALE
Institutes of Pharmacology and Pharmacognosy of the University of Messina (Director: Professor A. Imbesi)
The electron scanning microscope is of great use in pharmacognosy because it enables valuable contributions to be made to the study of the micromorphology of the superficial tissues of drugs. The considerable resolving power of this instrument and its great depth of field give it clear advantages over the light microscope.

Morphological micro-characteristics may be of great importance both for drug identification, particularly in cases in which the other characteristics are insufficient, and for plant taxomony.

The observation of epidermes by means of a scanning microscope, which reveals the finest details of the cuticle, stomata, trichomes, etc., is of particular value in the case of Cannabis sativa L., because it permits very precise comparisons of the characteristics of such elements, some of which may assume a quality of specificity. This plant, in fact, tends to deviate from the original strain according to its environment; moreover, plants obtained from seeds from different sources and grown in the same region tend to assume similar characteristics, not only from the morphological standpoint, but also as regards resin content and composition.

The micromorphology of hemp may also be of legal importance, because the observation of certain special morphological features, such as glandular, cystolith and covering hairs, can assume probative value, in conjunction with chemical and chemico-physical analyses and biological tests.

The trichomatous formations of hemp have generally been described as belonging to the following three types: (1) capitate glandular hairs; (2) unicellular cystolith hairs; and (3) unicellular covering hairs of varying form and size in the different parts of the plant.

In a previous study [ [ 1] ] , using a light microscope, we observed how, in addition to the capitate glandular hairs, there were other hairs - sessile hairs or hairs with very short stalks - present on the bract covering the female flower - referred to as the "perigonal" bract [ [ 1] ] , on the tepals and anthers of male flowers, and on the lower surface of leaves.

These observations were confirmed during our successive research using the transmission electron microscope and the scanning electron microscope [2,3]. Only Fairbairn [ [ 5] ] has recently detected, on the lower surface of the leaves and bracts, and on the anthers, large sessile glands.

In the course of other earlier research [ [ 4] ], we had demonstrated how the active cannabinoid elements are present in all the aerial parts of the female hemp plant, and also in small quantities in the roots. We nevertheless felt that it would be useful to examine under the scanning electron microscope the epidermis of the stalk, the leaf limba, the petiole and the floral and perigonal bracts at the various stages of development of inflorescence and infructescence, in order to identify any relationships that might exist between superficial glandular formations and resin production.

Experimental technique
The various fresh parts of the female plants of Cannabis sativa L., derived from seeds from Amindeon in Greece and grown at Messina, were fixed immediately after removal, using 4 per cent glutaraldehyde buffered at pH 7.2 by Sorensen's phosphate buffer solution (0.05 M), then washed for a long time in water, and finally dried for lyophilization. The purpose of lyophilization is to prevent, as far as possible, distortions due to dessication and vacuum conditions, particularly in the case of the most frail samples with a high water content. The specimens were subsequently coated with gold in a JEE-4B Vacuum Evaporator-Jeol. Observations were made with a Jeol-JSM-S1 scanning electron microscope.

Results
Two Zones are apparent in the stalk: ( a) the lower part; and ( b) the green tips of the stalk and branches.

In the lower part and in the intermediate part, whose structure is secondary, the thin layer of cork which replaces the epidermic tissue appears to be formed of cells which are mostly rectangular (fig. 1), regular and covered with suberous lamellae. Only in places, where suberification was not complete, was it possible to detect very occasional unicellular, long, slender covering hairs with a verrucose surface; no glandular hair was detected.

In the younger parts of the stalk and branches, whose structure is primary, the epidermic tissue is composed of rectangular or isodiametric cells, with regular, straight contours and occasional stomata. The youngest cells (fig. 2) are covered with a thin cuticle; on the older cells (fig. 3), it is possible to detect irregular layers of cutin, which appears to accumulate mainly on the guard cells of the stomata, on the related cells, and on the cells surrounding the base of the cystolith hairs. Along the lines of contact between two neighbouring cells, the cutin is often arranged in a string-of-beads pattern.

The very numerous covering hairs are unicellular, with verrucose surfaces, vermiform, of varying sizes, straight or curved, and in some cases bent in the manner of a knee: some hairs have branches which anastomose with neighbouring hairs. Cystoliths (fig. 4) are infrequent, short, isolated or grouped in clusters of three or four. We observed very infrequent sessile glands approximately 45-55 µm in diameter.

The petiole has, running parallel to the axis, longitudinal protrusions along which the epidermis appears to be composed of rectangular, slender cells elongated in the direction of the axis itself, and it has conical unicellular hairs, with verrucose surfaces, some of which are very thick and long, and others distinctly smaller. In the hollows (fig. 5), between the above-mentioned protrusions, polygonal cells, covered with a striated cuticle, can be observed, with infrequent stomata and very numerous short hairs (fig. 5), which are unicellular, conical, straight or curved, with smooth or verrucose surfaces. In the hollows it is also possible to detect more numerous sessile glandular hairs than in the stalk, swollen, 40-60 µm in diameter, and others which are less developed, considerably smaller and 15-20 µm in diameter.

The epidermis of the upper surface of the leaf appears to be composed of polygonal cells covered with a thick cuticle with close-set striae, sometimes in a fan-shaped pattern. It has many cystolith hairs (fig. 6), at various stages of development and more abundant along the veins. These hairs have a verrucose surface and are surrounded at the base by numerous cells (up to 20), arranged in a rosette pattern, more prominent than the surrounding cells, and covered with the cuticle with spoke-like striae. Stomata are infrequent and, in most cases, arranged near the median vein of each leaf segment. Occasional sessile glandular hairs can be detected, also arranged near the veins (fig. 7).

On the lower surface of the leaf (fig. 8), the epidermic cells are smaller than those of the upper epidermis and their cuticle is less thick and briefly striated. There are very numerous stomata and abundant unicellular covering hairs, elongated, conical, with verrucose surfaces, straight or bent, and with a sharp apex. Some hairs are anastomosed with neighbouring hairs. The glandular hairs are numerous, sessile, swollen or collapsed (fig. 8). On the veins, the covering hairs are more abundant, longer and more tapering, pliant and bent; the cystolith hairs are long and slender; glandular hairs are infrequent, and sometimes have short stalks.

The epidermis of the upper surface of the floral bracts is similar to that of the leaves. The cells are polygonal, covered with thick striated cuticular scales. There are fewer cystolith hairs than on the leaves; along the veins they are shorter, whereas in the spaces between the veins they are longer and the cells surrounding their base protrude beyond the neighbouring cells. Near the veins, occasional sessile glandular hairs may be detected.

The lower surface of the floral bracts comprises very numerous stomata, and slender unicellular covering hairs, with a smooth surface, pliant and bent. On the veins, the hairs are more robust and longer, with verrucose surfaces; the base of some is swollen. In the spaces between the veins, there are very numerous glandular hairs, some of which are sessile and others have short stalks; these hairs are fewer in number along the veins and, in the bracts of infructescences at maturity, their stalks are considerably more developed than those of the inflorescences.

The " perigonal" bract, or covering bract - which some authors incorrectly term the tepal bract, covers the perigonium and pistil of the female flower [ [ 1] ]. Most of the resin is produced by its secretory glands, which is why it feels sticky to the touch.

The external, or lower, epidermis of the perigonal bract (fig. 9) is composed of polygonal cells with thick edges and covered with a thin striated cuticle; the infrequent stomata protrude slightly in relation to the other epidermic cells. The few covering hairs are unicellular, rigid, with verrucose surfaces, and bent, particularly along the veins. Cystolith hairs, which are often broken, can also be detected between the veins. Near the edge of the bract, the cells have thinner edges, the stomata are more numerous and the covering hairs are more pliant and more pointed.

There is a very large number of glandular hairs of varying length, some of which are stalked; in some cases their head is swollen with resin and smooth and in others collapsed and devoid of resin. These hairs are more numerous on the veins. In the area between the veins, beside the stalked glands referred to above, there is an approximately equal number of swollen sessile glands, some of which are very large and others considerably smaller (fig. 10). Near the edges the glands are generally sessile and of small size.

On the perigonal bracts which cover the ripe fruit, the stalked glandular hairs have a proportionately longer foot, and in many cases their heads are held together in clusters by the copious resin (fig. 11).

The internal , or upper, epidermis of the perigonal bracts is composed of rectangular cells, with curved and distinctly thick edges and an irregularly striated and thickened surface. Stomata are very infrequent and the unicellular covering hairs, which have smooth surfaces and are flattened, are so compressed by the adherence of the bract to the pistil that they frequently bear the imprint of the epidermic cells themselves (fig. 12). It is also possible to detect slender cylindrical hairs, and near the edge, glandular hairs with short stalks, pear-shaped tips, bent and lodged in hollows in the tissue of the bract itself (fig. 13).

Conclusions
Of the elements observed, those which are of value as regards the production of resin, to which the biological activity of the drug is related, are the glandular formations which, as we have noted, are present in all the aerial parts of Cannabis sativa L. They are particularly numerous on the external surface of the perigonal bract, but also numerous on the lower surface of the leaves and floral bracts, and on the petiole. They are also present, although in very small quantities, on the upper surface of the leaf and the floral bract, on the inner surface of the perigonal bract and on the green parts of the stalk.

FIGURE 11 - External epidermis of perigonal bract of nature fruit : stalked glands

FIGURE 12. Internal epidermis of perigonal bract: covering hairs FIGURE 13 Internal epidermis of perigonal bract: glands

These glands may be divided fundamentally into two types: ( a) stalked or capitate glands and ( b) sessile glands.

The stalked glands were detected in considerable numbers on the external surface of the perigonal bract, and in smaller quantities on the lower surface of the floral bracts; on the other hand, they are very infrequent on the lower surface of the leaves.

They are composed of a stalk, which achieves maximum development on the bracts when the fruit attain maturity. The stalk, which is multicellular and multiseriated, is surmounted by a head, which is more or less swollen, composed of numerous irregular and rather thick polygonal cells with undulating edges.

The stalk, when examined under the transmission electron microscope [1, 3], is seen to be composed of a row of cells of epidermic origin, which cover one or two rows of cells that are similar to those of the palisade tissue and contain photosynthetically active chloroplasts. These glandular formations may nevertheless be regarded as "emergences" since the parenchymatous tissues situated below the epidermis also participate in their formation.

To the two apical cells of the stalk is attached the head, composed of two concentric layers of cells arranged in a rosette pattern and covered with a thin cuticle. The secretion produced by the cytoplasm, on passing through the pores [1, 3], accumulates on the outer edge of the external layer of the head cells and causes the cuticle to become detached by raising it and distending it like a vesicle. The secretion comes out through the openings which are formed by the rupture of the cuticle following the pressure exerted by the secretion or by movements caused by mechanical agencies. As they grow larger, these openings may join in long fissures from which emerges the resin (figs. 14 and 15) which clots on the hairs and in many cases sticks them together (fig. 11).

The " Sessile" glands are present in small quantities on the epidermis of the stalk and branches, in large quantities on the petiole and on the upper surfaces of the leaves and floral bract, and in even greater quantities on the lower surfaces of the leaves and floral bracts. On the external surface of the perigonal bract, they are very numerous - almost as numerous as on that of the stalked glands.

These glands take the form of a hemisphere of variable diameter, with a taut or more or less wrinkled (fig. 16) surface. When detached and observed laterally, they too, however, can be seen to have a short foot.

These glands cannot be regarded as a primary phase of the development of the stalked glands described above, because, unlike in the case of the latter, only the epidermic layer is involved in their formation. In addition, they are full of resin, and when this is discharged, they shrivel and cease to perform their function.

On the external surface of the perigonal bract, particularly near the edges, there are also many glands, but of much smaller size, in which it is possible to distinguish the cells which compose the head, because the cuticle, in most cases, is not dilated by resin. Glands of the same type also exist on these bracts after the development of the ovary into a fruit.

It is interesting to note the presence, on the internal surface of the perigonal bract, of infrequent hairs with short stalks and ovoidal heads, which are lodged in hollows in the surface caused by the adherence of the bract itself to the pistil.

Cannabinoids exist in all the aerial parts of the female plant Cannabis sativa L. These substances may also be observed in the roots, albeit in smaller quantities.

The absence of external glandular formations in the root and the small number of such formations in the stalk lend strength to the hypothesis that, in addition to the external secretory tissues, there are internal secretory cells which contribute to the formation of the resin.

Summary
We have described the characteristics, observed under a scanning microscope, of the epidermic tissues of the stalk, petiole, leaves, and floral and perigonal bracts of the female plants of Cannabis sativa L., grown at Messina.

Covering hairs and cystolith hairs are present in all the above-mentioned parts of the plant.

Stalked glandular hairs may be observed in considerable quantities on the lower surface of the floral bracts and on the external surface of the perigonal bracts, and in smaller quantities on the lower surface of the leaves; they do not exist on the upper surface of the leaves and floral bracts, or on the petiole, stalk and branches.

Sessile glands exist in all the parts observed; they are far more abundant on the lower surface of the leaves and floral bracts, and on the external surface of the perigonal bracts, as compared with the upper faces and internal surface of these organs.

The presence of the glandular elements is related to the production of resin in the various parts of the plant."

Here is some more info on the chemistry while I look for the plant hair piperidine location reference:

"Most varieties contain cannabinol and cannabinin; Egyptian variety contains cannabidine, cannabol and cannabinol, their biological activity being due to the alcohols and phenolic compounds. Resin contains crystalline compound cannin. Alcoholic extracts of American variety vary considerably in physiological activity. Per 100 g, the seed is reported to contain 8.8 g H2O, 21.5 g protein, 30.4 g fat, 34.7 g total carbohydrate, 18.8 g fiber, and 4.6 g ash. In Asia, per 100 g, the seed is reported to contain 421 calories, 13.6 g H2O, 27.1 g protein, 25.6 g fat, 27.6 g total carbohydrate, 20.3 g fiber, 6.1 g ash, 120 mg Ca, 970 mg P, 12.0 mg Fe, 5 mg beta-carotene equivalent, 0.32 mg thiamine, 0.17 mg riboflavin, and 2.1 mg niacin. A crystalline globulin has been isolated from defatted meal. It contains 3.8% glycocol, 3.6 alanine, 20.9 valine and leucine, 2.4 phenylalanine, 2.1 tyrosine, 0.3 serine, 0.2 cystine, 4.1 proline, 2.0 oxyproline, 4.5 aspartic acid, 18.7 glutamic acid, 14.4 tryptophane and arginine, 1.7 lysine, and 2.4% histidine. Oil from the seeds contains 15% oleic, 70% linoleic, and 15% linolenic and isolinolenic acids. The seed cake contains 10.8% water, 10.2% fat, 30.8% protein, 40.6% N-free extract, and 7.7% ash (20.3% K2O; 0.8% Na2O; 23.6% CaO, 5.7% MgO, 1.0% Fe2O3, 36.5% P2O5, 0.2% SO3; 11.9% SiO2, 0.1% Cl and a trace of Mn2O3). Trigonelline occurs in the seed. Cannabis also contains choline, eugenol, guaiacol, nicotine, and piperidine."

Last edited:
G

happens to me all the time during trim jobs.
red irritation with raised skin.
i dont want to say that theyre blisters, cause theyre not.
but its noticable and itchy as hell.
it goes away with a warm soapy rinse.
but the worst is rubbing my eyes before rinsing my hands off.
it stings and really dries my eyes out.
it subsides after awhile, but the redness remains for a couple hours.
but if thats what i have to deal with to smoke great herb, i think its a fair trade :)

Truth

first off, if someone had a rash from the terpenes themselves, they wouldn't be able to smoke it either...they would break out much worse. I think what is at play here may be chemical possibly, but I am leaning towards the tiny sharp hairs the plant is covered with. they can cause extreme irritation, or none at all...surely after handling weed and rubbing you eyes would cause these razor sharp hairs to get into your eyes, and when they get on your skin it is like coming into contact with things such as the fiber glass sheets used for insulation. the hands were probably covered with them, and when you touched a more sensitive part of your body (eyes, chest) it got irritated. thats just my take on it.

Yes, it is the piperidine within these hairs, or non-bulbous trichomes, in other words not really on the smoked parts of the plant. For instance, it happened with the outdoor plants only and only with certain strains. Down below there is some info on how the plant will develop more hairs to combat solar radiation, and other external conditioners. Yet all strains have the fuzzy hairs, just with differences in the chemicals they use to protect themselves with such as the piperidine, especially produced with more hairs for outdoor growth. The actual red spots and itching can well cause you to wonder if you were actually just bitten by real ants or if you came into conatct with another plant or irritant, but nope. It is the piperidine in the cannabis placed at the hairs for protection especially when outdoors with certain strains. Why these strains happen to have this alkaloid may be from nature, and man unkowingly kept those traits as they came with other favorable traits that coincided with high contents and success and survival rates up to and including but not limited to THC and terpenes. Although for us cannabinoids and terpenes are the best part. Here is some info on plant hairs:

"Aerial surface hairs

Epiderm of Arabidopsis thaliana with a trichome.Trichomes on plants are epidermal outgrowths of various kinds. The terms emergences or prickles refer to outgrowths that involve more than the epidermis. This distinction is not always easily applied (see Wait-a-bit climber). Also, there are nontrichomatous epidermal cells that protrude from the surface.

A common type of trichome is a hair. Plant hairs may be unicellular or multicellular, branched or unbranched. Multicellular hairs may have one or several layers of cells. Branched hairs can be dendritic (tree-like), tufted, or stellate (star-shaped).,

A common type of trichome is the scale or peltate hair: a plate or shield-shaped cluster of cells attached directly to the surface or borne on a stalk of some kind.

Any of the various types of hairs may be glandular.

In describing the surface appearance of plant organs, such as stems and leaves, many terms are used in reference to the presence, form, and appearance of trichomes. The most basic terms used are glabrous—lacking hairs— and pubescent—having hairs. Details are provided by:

glabrous, glabrate – lacking hairs or trichomes; surface smooth.
hirsute – coarsely hairy
hispid – having bristly hairs
downy – having an almost wool-like covering of long hairs
pilose – pubescent with long, straight, soft, spreading or erect hairs
puberulent – minutely pubescent; having fine, short, usually curly, hairs
pubescent – bearing hairs or trichomes of any type
strigillose – minutely strigose
strigose – having straight hairs all pointing in more or less the same direction as along a margin or midrib.
villosulous – minutely villous
villous – having long, soft hairs, often curved, but not matted

Hairs on plants are extremely variable in their presence across species, location on plant organs, density (even within a species), and therefore functionality. However, several basic functions or advantages of having surface hairs can be listed. It is likely that in many cases, hairs interfere with the feeding of at least some small herbivores and, depending upon stiffness and irritability to the "palate", large herbivores as well. Hairs on plants growing in areas subject to frost keep the frost away from the living surface cells. In windy locations, hairs break-up the flow of air across the plant surface, reducing evaporation. Dense coatings of hairs reflect solar radiation, protecting the more delicate tissues underneath in hot, dry, open habitats. And in locations where much of the available moisture comes from cloud drip, hairs appear to enhance this process."

Another interesting article on trichomes hairs breeding for protection:

"Trichomes

Trichomes are single or multicellular outgrowths of the plant epidermis and collectively constitute the pubescence (hairiness) of the plant surface. These epidermal hairs in many plant species are specialized for defense against attack by insects and mites. The mode of defense used by trichomes is determined by whether they are nonsecretory or glandular, as well as their density, length, shape, and degree of erectness. When present on the plant surface at high densities, nonsecretory trichomes create a physical barrier to insect feeding on the underlying surface or internal tissues. Barrier defense is an important element of resistance to leafhoppers in cultivated crop plants such as alfalfa (Medicago), cotton (Gossypium), and soybean (Glycine). Although not defensive, similar but downward-pointing trichomes in the upright tube of the carnivorous pitcher plant (Sarracenia) create a "lobster pot" effect preventing the escape of prey. Beans (Phaseolus) have evolved fish-hook-shaped trichomes that help to anchor their climbing vines but the hooked feature is also defensive because leafhopper and aphid pests are impaled and captured by these hairs. The most elegant specializations of plant hairs for defense are glandular trichomes, which secrete adhesive materials that physically entrap and immobilize insects and mites or which contain toxic or deterrent substances. Trichomes of this type are common in the nightshade family (Solanaceae) and plant breeders have created new varieties of potatoes (Solanum) and tomatoes (Lycopersicon) that resist insect pests because of glandular hairs on their leaves and stems. Other crop plants in which glandular trichomes are being used to breed for pest resistance include alfalfa, strawberry (Fragaria), sunflower (Helianthus), and tobacco (Nicotiana)."

A. de PASQUALE
G. TUMINO
R COSTA de PASQUALE

Experimental technique

Results

Conclusions

Summary

Here is some more info on the chemistry while I look for the plant hair piperidine location reference:

"Most varieties contain cannabinol and cannabinin; Egyptian variety contains cannabidine, cannabol and cannabinol, their biological activity being due to the alcohols and phenolic compounds. Resin contains crystalline compound cannin. Alcoholic extracts of American variety vary considerably in physiological activity. Per 100 g, the seed is reported to contain 8.8 g H2O, 21.5 g protein, 30.4 g fat, 34.7 g total carbohydrate, 18.8 g fiber, and 4.6 g ash. In Asia, per 100 g, the seed is reported to contain 421 calories, 13.6 g H2O, 27.1 g protein, 25.6 g fat, 27.6 g total carbohydrate, 20.3 g fiber, 6.1 g ash, 120 mg Ca, 970 mg P, 12.0 mg Fe, 5 mg beta-carotene equivalent, 0.32 mg thiamine, 0.17 mg riboflavin, and 2.1 mg niacin. A crystalline globulin has been isolated from defatted meal. It contains 3.8% glycocol, 3.6 alanine, 20.9 valine and leucine, 2.4 phenylalanine, 2.1 tyrosine, 0.3 serine, 0.2 cystine, 4.1 proline, 2.0 oxyproline, 4.5 aspartic acid, 18.7 glutamic acid, 14.4 tryptophane and arginine, 1.7 lysine, and 2.4% histidine. Oil from the seeds contains 15% oleic, 70% linoleic, and 15% linolenic and isolinolenic acids. The seed cake contains 10.8% water, 10.2% fat, 30.8% protein, 40.6% N-free extract, and 7.7% ash (20.3% K2O; 0.8% Na2O; 23.6% CaO, 5.7% MgO, 1.0% Fe2O3, 36.5% P2O5, 0.2% SO3; 11.9% SiO2, 0.1% Cl and a trace of Mn2O3). Trigonelline occurs in the seed. Cannabis also contains choline, eugenol, guaiacol, nicotine, and piperidine."

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Zamalito,
I did not make hash from the plant that caused rashes. If some people get problems from the cystolith hairs I would not be surprised, I get gas if I eat them or if I eat whole herbal Cannabis, that is why I make ghee extracts and toss the plant materials or resin, I only eat the extract and no problems.
If you can wash away the skin problems with soap and water it sounds more like exposure to terpenoids then cystolith hairs if they are piercing the skin simple soap and water would not help so fast, I suspect.
The Slickster,
I am wondering where in the plant piperidine is found? Is it in the resin or in the leafs or stems or roots? I have no idea. Anyone know or better have a reference?
-SamS

Last edited:
Found this link on piperidine in tobacco hairs:

Tobacco leaves are covered with trichomes (hairs) that have multicellular glands on their tips. These glandular trichomes produce a sticky resinous material that contains many of the flavor and aroma components. Tobacco also produces many internal, secondary components, including pyridine alkaloids. The most important alkaloid is nicotine, which acts as a stimulant to the user and is addictive. Nicotine is quite toxic, and products containing nicotine were used as early insecticides. The adverse health effects of smoking, including nicotine addiction and the increased risks of cancer, emphysema, and heart attack, are well documented.

Tobacco has been extensively used as a model system in many basic scientific studies. Pioneering work in quantitative genetics, tissue culture techniques, plant physiology, and genetic engineering have utilized the unique characteristics of tobacco, which has been referred to as "the white rat of the plant world."

Let me find some more. Pyridine = Piperidine, and if it was condensed enough to produce an odor, it would smell "fishy".

http://www.bookrags.com/research/tobacco-plsc-04/

Chemical Molecule Description:

Choline C5H15NO2 A molecule which is categorized in the Vitamin B group and also found in meats and eggs .

Eugenol C10H12O2 An aromatic liquid which is also found in clove oil and is sometimes used in perfume.

Guaiacol C7H8O2 Molecule also found in local anesthetic and antiseptics
Piperidine C5H10NH Liquid used to make rubber and certain glues such as epoxy.

Ants also secret formic acid just like nettles does, so there is possibly a cocktail, maybe even with acetic acid on the list.

http://www.bookrags.com/Carboxylic_acid

Interesting to note that formic acid is used to make meth, while piperidine is used for PCP. And so one could even go so far as to say that these toxins for insects are like being drugged with a hallucinogenic cocktail of histamines, piperidines, choline, and if they are lucky, THC.

Now extremely hallucinogenic weed would be dangerous, but it does turn out that way in that nettles are not hallucinogenic, unless THC is somehow altered or co-affected by other alkaloids and terpenes, just like the other cannabinoids. It could also be a case of certain ratios of cannabinoids, terpenes, alkaloids, etc. all going along with each other within certain strains outdoors moreso.

"The stinging hairs on nettle are sharp polished spines that contain histamine and formic acid."

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/stinging-nettle-000275.htm

So Formic acid along with piperidine are the ant like chemicals that give cannabis plants their sting. And yes the hairs can break off the plants with their formic acids, etc.

http://www.britannica.com/ebi/article-9331190

Stinging nettles are easily distinguished plants with a memorable sting. This plant has fine hairs on the stems and leaves. Each hair is like a hollow needle filled with formic acid, the same chemical in ant saliva and bee stings that causes pain to humans when bitten. This acid can redden the skin and cause a non-spreading rash that can last up to 24 hours.

Vitamin C is recommended as well.

"The hairs on the downy stalk and leaves closely resemble quills, they are hollow rising from a swollen base wherein small cells containing formic acid are housed. This acid, which causes the stinging sensation, is a mixture of histamine, serotonin and choline; the same compounds found in ant saliva. Remedies are usually close by, housed in sword ferns, sage and mint leaves or even human spit. Most substances which are base will neutralize the formic acid relieving stinging sensations."

http://www.spruceroots.org/June01/Nettle.html

So the formic acid that some cannabis projects from its hairs may possibly be a mixture of histamine, piperidine, and choline. Some more than others, but the histamine would account for the itching, piperidine the swelling bumps, and choline would cause something possibly. A plant with a "bite", more so outdoors though.

Last edited:

zamalito

Veteran
My mother always felt that she was allergic to cannabis. Sher told me that she would experience strong hallucinations and a different more toxic like reaction than those around her. Maybe there is something to this.

G

its all been done...information is everyones...nice thread sam...to much separation in the world today...we are one...give..dont hoard..for what you have learned does not make it yours...there is no yours only ours..feel free to use that...lol...even say its yours because it is...peace

Terpenes may be slightly antiseptic, stimulating, and expectorant. Some may have antiviral or spasmolytic properties. Some diterpenes may have a positive effect on the endocrine system.

Last edited:

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
I am one of those that has always been allergic to pollens, especially cannibas. Whenever I'm trimming and bending my plant's, I always wear long sleeves. If I don't, my arms will break out in small red welt's, that can sometimes take more than an entire day to go away. Moreover, if I'm manicuring bud's with very strong terpene's, my eye's will tear, my nose gets all runny, and I'll start weazing, becoming slightly short of breath. Sour Bubble has done this to me.

G

The chemistry of living material is called organic chemistry or carbon chemistry, since all living things contain carbon. Essential oils on average contain 100 to 200 chemically unique components (some oils have as many as 500 components). Each component's percentage of concentration in the essential oil varies.

Carbon is the base for essential oil components. Most essential oils are composed of Carbon (C), Hydrogen (H), Oxygen (O), Nitrogen (N), and Sulfur (S) atoms. Atoms joined together form molecules. A molecule that is formed with the help of five carbon atoms is called isoprene. All Essential oils are based on an isoprene frame. When two isoprene units (10 carbon atoms) are united together, they form what is called monoterpenes. When three units are united, they form sesquiterpenes, and if four are united, we have diterpenes.
In essential oils, we find predominately terpenoid (monoterpenes) compounds. A very simple understanding of the main components of each essential oil will help you understand a little of how essential oils work.

Understanding the main components of an essential oil by itself will not produce the expected results. The power of an essential oil is found in the complex combination of the individual chemical components. This synergistic property makes the use of essential oils an art as well as a science. To understand the overall effect, we must understand the complex combination of hundreds of different chemicals, many of which are still unidentified. We need more time and knowledge to be able to uncover the secret benefits aquired from the interaction between plant chemicals and the human body.

Chemists have identified more than 3,000 different aromatic molecules. Aromatic molecules assemble in different groups or families and may have some important and potential influence upon our body, mind, or psyche.

The main components of every essential oil are combined in countless families of hydrocarbons (made up exclusively of terpenes and their combinations), oxygenated compounds (alcohols, phenols, aldehydes, ketones, esters), and oxides (acids, lactones, or sulphur compounds).

G

I noticed that, in the eye, Cannabis resin has an abrasive effect, along with whatever else.

I do not get reactions to resin very often, occasionally though, and more often of late... I do hear that repeated exposure to certain strains brings it on over time...

Certain people are more sensitive - of course - there is always the allergen factor....

A "Kush" that I am familiar with makes some people break out in hives or rashes on their hands and forearms, so plastic gloves fix the problem. For most.

Washing with a poison oak/ivy soap does the trick... TECNU, or BURT's BEES Poison ivy soap.