What's new

My gardening drills, the easy way....and a Help Desk if you're "needy" LOL. Questions? Fire away, I'm here to help.

singlecoiled

Went to Hendrix straight, I think. Also Cream, went to that one straight. Profound!

Cool story on his guitar. Also kinda shocked your hip with DiMeola. His mastery is one thing, his crazy time changes on the quick is another. Yes, some of this melodies are beautiful. Another one of my faves is Ottmart Liebert. Being listening to him forever. Kind of getting off track, but it's fun.

Its rare to stump me with guitarists, you got me with Ottmart, thats the first Ive heard his name. I'll definatley check him out. Cream is legendary, crazy cool that you got a chance to see them as well. Your one of the very lucky ones that witnessed a revolution in music LIVE ! Dam man.

Plant is showing a nasty brown burning on the leaf edges last I checked. I'm pretty discuoraged as this doesnt happen to me until week 6 flower (my curse in growing is week 6 flower ).. I'm hoping its light burn but I have a feeling my grow will go to hell fast now. Not sure to feed more or less, that's always my problem..

oldmaninbc

OK, so I'm in the same place you are. They get into my house as well and love my computer monitor in the dark. My grow room is sealed but every once in a while I see a gnat make its way in... Luckily, this pest is very easy to get rid of.. Pic below, its a must have if you ask me and it works. My fly traps in my grow closet show zero fungus gnats this grow.. I make a tea with BTI and use it when repotting... (directions on how to make the tea come on the bag.)

I wouldnt bother growing indoors if it wasnt for BTI...Its non toxic, wont effect your plant and is safe to use in all stages of growth. A MUST have for me. (before BTI I could see the larvae crawling around in the soil--little clear worms with a black head.)

Root Aphids are another story, thats pure hell. (flies look very similar to gnats and they are very common) If the flies around your monitor are easy to "clap" and kill thats a good sign. If they dodge when you try to whack them, thats a sign they may be aphid flyers...

Last thing, Fox Farm and most soil I buy is loaded with fungus gnats, almost guaranteed. You sure the flies in your house arent coming from your soil? Its so bad I boil and bake my soil before use... Killing all the good stuff I pay for along with the pests.

View attachment 18953615
I am not convinced the gnats I encounter come from dirt. lately if the outside door is opened you seem to see gnats not long after. My last 2 grows I had no issues with gnats and this time I'm about 5 /6 weeks in and no gnats in the tent. I had thrips once but that was entirely my fault, after yard/flowerbed clean up at the end of fall I went into my tent room with my yard cleaning clothes on. I will never never do that again! I have never really had many problems with insects considering how many years I've had indoor grows. For that I am grateful.

Many people have mentioned using mosquito killing products mosquito dunks. I think I will pick up something like your showing (BTI) for emergencies. I used nematodes with great success but they are expensive and do not have a long shelf life. I live in a small community about 350 people, there are no stores and the closest place to buy gardening products is about 3/4 of an hour drive and in the winter it can be scary driving over the mountain pass. Plus I do not drive I have not driven in over 12 years, health issues and medications make it difficult.

It has been a long time since I've been to a concert; during the 60/70s I was at several concerts. I use to go to a blues club in Toronto and a place called The Electric Circus. Plus I've known a few band members, a quality guitar riff is captivating.
Well, it's time for me to make supper.

I like the mosquito product your showing.

singlecoiled

I am not convinced the gnats I encounter come from dirt. lately if the outside door is opened you seem to see gnats not long after. My last 2 grows I had no issues with gnats and this time I'm about 5 /6 weeks in and no gnats in the tent. I had thrips once but that was entirely my fault, after yard/flowerbed clean up at the end of fall I went into my tent room with my yard cleaning clothes on. I will never never do that again! I have never really had many problems with insects considering how many years I've had indoor grows. For that I am grateful.

Many people have mentioned using mosquito killing products mosquito dunks. I think I will pick up something like your showing (BTI) for emergencies. I used nematodes with great success but they are expensive and do not have a long shelf life. I live in a small community about 350 people, there are no stores and the closest place to buy gardening products is about 3/4 of an hour drive and in the winter it can be scary driving over the mountain pass. Plus I do not drive I have not driven in over 12 years, health issues and medications make it difficult.

It has been a long time since I've been to a concert; during the 60/70s I was at several concerts. I use to go to a blues club in Toronto and a place called The Electric Circus. Plus I've known a few band members, a quality guitar riff is captivating.

Mosguito bits (BTI) and the Mosquito Dunks are the same thing, same company. The bits are just a crushed up version. You add a TBS to a gallon of water for an hour or so, filter the bits out and water. Super simple.

Its good to to see people still appreciate music, I have two teens and they could care less, its not nearly as big as it was for us in the 70's and 80's. Music has become a background thing to many.

Remember sitting with friends listening to albums after school? Those album covers are the best seed rollers, crumble weed, tilt album cover slightly, watch seeds roll off...Stare at the Led Zep 4 cover for hours looking for hidden meaning.

Im old.

Old Uncle Ben

Its rare to stump me with guitarists, you got me with Ottmart, thats the first Ive heard his name. I'll definatley check him out. Cream is legendary, crazy cool that you got a chance to see them as well. Your one of the very lucky ones that witnessed a revolution in music LIVE ! Dam man.

Plant is showing a nasty brown burning on the leaf edges last I checked. I'm pretty discuoraged as this doesnt happen to me until week 6 flower (my curse in growing is week 6 flower ).. I'm hoping its light burn but I have a feeling my grow will go to hell fast now. Not sure to feed more or less, that's always my problem..

Leaf margin burn is a sign of moisture stress. Many factors come into play, usually soil EC too high which can be caused by insufficient water, too much fertilizer. Got any pix?

Last edited:

Old Uncle Ben

Remember sitting with friends listening to albums after school? Those album covers are the best seed rollers, crumble weed, tilt album cover slightly, watch seeds roll off...Stare at the Led Zep 4 cover for hours looking for hidden meaning.

Im old.

Yep, we'd pass the joints, dim the llghts and put on some vinyl. Used to play a lot of poker stoned.
I used a Monoply box top to vibrate out the seeds. Ever roll using a dollar bill as the backup? Once you learn this easy hands on method you'll never go back. I can roll a perfect joint that seems to burn forever, and perfect.

2001. Got the jigger in Whistler, B.C. Got the bud from my garden, roller - my fingers cradling a dollar bill, thumb in behind or back, index and middle in front. Use both hands.

budman#3.jpg

Old? Bet I've got you beat, I'm 74.

Parkison's.jpg

Last edited:

Nannymouse

I have a big compost pile going now mostly leaves from trees I planted in 2005 and on. Drove three 6' t-posts in the ground, wrapped with chicken wire.

Was a hay field, custom built my dream home, planted 65 trees around the house and down at the highway, oaks, Big Tooth maples, fruit and nut trees, huge cypress for windbreaks, etc. Started 2 ag businesses.

Planted one of my favorite old hybrid tea roses yesterday, Double Delight. No 2 flowers are the same regarding markings, had an old timey rich spicy fragrance.

View attachment 18953260

View attachment 18953261
Oh my gosh! That is my fave rose, also! Had a 'tree' version of it when living in NC, it didn't do so well in the humidity. I blame it on the humidity. Did a regular version in Az, it's probably still going. That old rose aroma takes me back to one of my very first memories...granny's yard. Hubby likes the Tropicana, which is a real eye catcher, but has a more modern 'spicy' scent. No roses at the new casa.

singlecoiled

Leaf margin burn is a sign of moisture stress. Many factors come into play, usually soil EC too high which can be caused by insufficient water, too much fertilizer. Got any pix?

I used a Monoply box top to vibrate out the seeds. Ever roll using a dollar bill as the backup? Once you learn this easy hands on method you'll never go back. I can roll a perfect joint that seems to burn forever, and perfect.

2001. Got the jigger in Whistler, B.C. Got the bud from my garden, roller - my fingers cradling a dollar bill, thumb in behind or back, index and middle in front. Use both hands.

View attachment 18954257

View attachment 18954259

If you talking about rolling perfect pin joints using a dollar bill, yes ! That is a skill I do have. Maybe I did learn something useful from the 80's after all..

Nice pic, no scotch for me now though, (love scotch, a little too much)....

Last edited:

singlecoiled

Wow, yes I did go an extra dry day after going an extra dry day. I wanted to see how light my pot would get, it almost floated away it was so light. Like a cloth pot full of feathers. All the damage seen below happened over night during my newbie induced draught.

I watered heavily to runoff with 1 gallon RO water and 1 tsp Foliage Pro last night, PPM's in around 350 which seems low. Without using bloom nutrients, I dont have a feed schedule to use. So, 1 tsp of FP per gallon every watering is where I am hovering at now. (an occasional plain watering as well)

Feels like I'm stabbing in the dark and am starting to get tired of it to be honest. If this gets any worse, I'm not going to bother and she will be chopped week 5 flower. Whats happening here is already reducing my yield, these buds are already suffering.

_DSC6231.JPG

_DSC6233.JPG

_DSC6241.JPG

End Week 4 flower, Buds seem fine but I think they should be much plumper by now..

_DSC6237.JPG

Last edited:

singlecoiled

Wow, thats a hard lesson learned. Yeah, I have some weird habits now that I grow. I always change into my clean sterile grower pajamas and wash my hands with soap and alcohol before fooling with the plant. I also try to fool with the plant less and dont touch it if I dont have to.

Nice, gotta love getting old and talking about memories. It blows my mind that music has died like it has. Its nothing like it was for us. (I'm not talking about music, I'm talking about the fact that it isnt a big thing like it used to be)

Yeah man, like I say I wouldnt grow without it. I use it every grow with or without fungus gnats. Plus, I dont know if you knew but fungus gnats get into your drains too. I use boiling water in my drains and after cooling use BTI in the drains as well. If you have any water in your yard, they are great to stop mosquitos as well !

oldmaninbc

Yep, we'd pass the joints, dim the llghts and put on some vinyl. Used to play a lot of poker stoned.

View attachment 18954257

View attachment 18954259
We are equals in the age category, I am pushing 74 5/12 but whose counting.

Old Uncle Ben

Wow, yes I did go an extra dry day after going an extra dry day. I wanted to see how light my pot would get, it almost floated away it was so light. Like a cloth pot full of feathers. All the damage seen below happened over night during my newbie induced draught.

I watered heavily to runoff with 1 gallon RO water and 1 tsp Foliage Pro last night, PPM's in around 350 which seems low. Without using bloom nutrients, I dont have a feed schedule to use. So, 1 tsp of FP per gallon every watering is where I am hovering at now. (an occasional plain watering as well)

Feels like I'm stabbing in the dark and am starting to get tired of it to be honest. If this gets any worse, I'm not going to bother and she will be chopped week 5 flower. Whats happening here is already reducing my yield, these buds are already suffering.

View attachment 18954333

View attachment 18954334

View attachment 18954335

End Week 4 flower, Buds seem fine but I think they should be much plumper by now..

View attachment 18954336

The majority of the leaves that you've shown here look healthy although a photo of an entire plant would help. Don't fret over some leaf tip or margin/edge browning. You may be OK only going with 1/2 tsp/gallon of Foliage Pro. Is there any inherent nutrition in your soil?

Nannymouse

One of my friends had never heard of rolling in a dollar bill, so i said that i would attempt, but hadn't done it in decades. Sheesh, first time, perfect. Never could do it any other way,( except a roller, and even then, i would mess up often) I can do it without, but making tiny little dogears on the paper, seemed to help. I don't like smoke in my old eyeballs, and hate the taste of paper, so joints are not my thing, never have papers in the house.

Music, like many other things, has gone the way of the internet and cell phones. I lost interest in music, but hubby is still connected at the navel. Just got to where i feel the need to hear what is going on, outdoors. Thus, very little television, also. Usually, i find my own thoughts of more interest, these days. Maybe it's a little PTSD, or it's the fibro (too much ear stimulation puts me into fatigue, fast) or a combination.

Nannymouse

One of my friends had never heard of rolling in a dollar bill, so i said that i would attempt, but hadn't done it in decades. Sheesh, first time, perfect. Never could do it any other way,( except a roller, and even then, i would mess up often) I can do it without, but making tiny little dogears on the paper, seemed to help. I don't like smoke in my old eyeballs, and hate the taste of paper, so joints are not my thing, never have papers in the house.

Music, like many other things, has gone the way of the internet and cell phones. I lost interest in music, but hubby is still connected at the navel. Just got to where i feel the need to hear what is going on, outdoors. Thus, very little television, also. Usually, i find my own thoughts of more interest, these days. Maybe it's a little PTSD, or it's the fibro (too much ear stimulation puts me into fatigue, fast) or a combination.
I won't talk about my age, har. But, i did really enjoy the music of the sixties and seventies...

singlecoiled

The majority of the leaves that you've shown here look healthy although a photo of an entire plant would help. Don't fret over some leaf tip or margin/edge browning. You may be OK only going with 1/2 tsp/gallon of Foliage Pro. Is there any inherent nutrition in your soil?

Thanks, I've closed the door to my grow cabinet and wont be back to peek for a few more days. We'll see if the browning spreads. I'm a little sad that its happening so early this grow, normally everything is very heathy until week 6 flower.

My soil is Fox Farm Coco Loco --- I dont think there is much left as far as nutrients go, but I really dont know. Already fed 1 tsp FP in a gallon of water, nothing to do but wait now. (previous watering was plain water)

I lied about peeking--I peeked. The browning seems to be spreading fast on the top leaves and leaf tips. Looks like possible nutrient burn or a calcium deficiency? I like to think Ive been feeding lightly, my feed is around 350PPM's which is much lower than the feedcharts recommend during flower. (700-800). I dont want to starve her or overfeed, but I'm just not sure.... Maybe needs Calmag?

Also testing PPM's in and PPM's out. Oddly, the runoff is low PPM's around 200 (feeding at around 350) PH in around 6.5 out around 6.2. If there was salt buildup, I'd, like to think I see it in the runoff but maybe coco is filtering and holding the nutrients..

Start week 5 flower: (week 15) Help ! These buds really want to get fat but have a terrible human grower ! Poor buds ! Such a critical time in the grow too...

_DSC6244.JPG

_DSC6245.JPG

_DSC6257.JPG

_DSC6258.JPG

Last edited:

Old Uncle Ben

Just topped this pure Afghani lady, newly sexed. She's green, healthy and gets nothing but Osmocote she got when I upcanned her back in Dec. Gets a thorough rainwater drench daily, nothing more, nothing less. She'll get a dusting of an oldie - 1990 Master Kush X Afghani 90, when they're both ready in a few weeks.

Afghani topped Feb.1.jpg

Afghani topped Feb.1#2.jpg

One of 2 males destroyed. MicroKote worked really well. Root system was extremely dense and fibrous. Yellow leaves are caused by a lack of watering. I just forget to check all 9 pots.

Male Feb 1.jpg

Last edited:

Old Uncle Ben

Thanks, I've closed the door to my grow cabinet and wont be back to peek for a few more days. We'll see if the browning spreads. I'm a little sad that its happening so early this grow, normally everything is very heathy until week 6 flower.

My soil is Fox Farm Coco Loco --- I dont think there is much left as far as nutrients go, but I really dont know. Already fed 1 tsp FP in a gallon of water, nothing to do but wait now. (previous watering was plain water)

I lied about peeking--I peeked. The browning seems to be spreading fast on the top leaves and leaf tips. Looks like possible nutrient burn or a calcium deficiency? I like to think Ive been feeding lightly, my feed is around 350PPM's which is much lower than the feedcharts recommend during flower. (700-800). I dont want to starve her or overfeed, but I'm just not sure.... Maybe needs Calmag?

Also testing PPM's in and PPM's out. Oddly, the runoff is low PPM's around 200 (feeding at around 350) PH in around 6.5 out around 6.2. If there was salt buildup, I'd, like to think I see it in the runoff but maybe coco is filtering and holding the nutrients..

Start week 5 flower: (week 15) Help ! These buds really want to get fat but have a terrible human grower ! Poor buds ! Such a critical time in the grow too...

View attachment 18954590
View attachment 18954593

View attachment 18954591

View attachment 18954592

Those are some damn good looking plants. What's this "terrible grower" stuff? So what if you see some browning. Looks like you got 90% + green and that's plenty. Think of the amount of leaf tissue as a continuum that drives flower production. The more the better. Case in point, I have a vineyard and it's well know to managers that as a rule of thumb it takes 13-15 healthy leaves to ripen a grape cluster to perfection. I get that....

MouvAug8#2.jpg

Funny but for cannabis I've never measured E.C. or ppm's.

Uncle Ben

singlecoiled

Those are some damn good looking plants. What's this "terrible grower" stuff? So what if you see some browning. Looks like you got 90% + green and that's plenty. Think of the amount of leaf tissue as a continuum that drives flower production. The more the better. Case in point, I have a vineyard and it's well know to managers that as a rule of thumb it takes 13-15 healthy leaves to ripen a grape cluster to perfection. I get that....

View attachment 18954764

Funny but for cannabis I've never measured E.C. or ppm's.

Uncle Ben

I may be over reacting a bit, but all of my grows run into big problems late flower. It starts with a few brown spots and gets out of control fast. I'm definately doing something wrong. So, I need to figure this out and tone down my whiny biatchiness...

After much reading, it really looks like a classic Calcium deficiency, and it makes sense. My PH is a little on the low side around 5.8-6.0 and calcium is best absorbed from 6.5-7.0 or so. I'll slightly adjust the PH and may give a little taste of Cal-Mag. I thnk I got this....

LED's and Calcium deficiencies seem to be a common problem for many. Not sure why but people using other light sources dont seem to have the same problems as LED? (one of the major complaints I see from people moving from HPS to LED, Cal-mag deficiencies.). Hell, half the advice I see on forums is to give more cal-mag..

I do keep a very detailed journal for all of my grows.

83256f3ae60544782f86e9cdbd4a04f2.png

Ive been using the first chart (foliage pro only) as a rough guideline for this grow. (using around 1/4 tsp Protekt or none. This may explain my slightly low PH. Protekt raises PH countering the PH drop from nutrients. (no need for PH up or down using Protekt)

Dynagro Feeding Schedule.jpeg

And the Dynagrow chart (I'm not using this but have in the past) Notice the PPM.s My feed is going in at around 350 -500 and runoff measure's 200

Dyna-Gro-Feeding-Chart-1-1024x791.jpg

Last edited:

oldmaninbc

Wow, thats a hard lesson learned. Yeah, I have some weird habits now that I grow. I always change into my clean sterile grower pajamas and wash my hands with soap and alcohol before fooling with the plant. I also try to fool with the plant less and dont touch it if I dont have to.

Nice, gotta love getting old and talking about memories. It blows my mind that music has died like it has. Its nothing like it was for us. (I'm not talking about music, I'm talking about the fact that it isnt a big thing like it used to be)

Yeah man, like I say I wouldnt grow without it. I use it every grow with or without fungus gnats. Plus, I dont know if you knew but fungus gnats get into your drains too. I use boiling water in my drains and after cooling use BTI in the drains as well. If you have any water in your yard, they are great to stop mosquitos as When I first switched over to LED

It's back quite a few years when I switched from 600W HPS to LED brand 357 Magnum. There was a lot of people at the time who wouldn't even consider a LED. I was not disappointed with it. I realized with experience the wattage and the area covered was exaggerated. Also, down the road there would be growing problems.
I learnt that when my plants got to around 4 weeks into bloom time after time there was problems with the fan leaves and the plants would start to go downhill. I struggled through a couple of crops with disappointing quality/yield. Then learnt through ICMAG forums I should use cal/mag, that worked. The ph of my water out of the tap is 7 and the water is not treated the same as big city water. I mostly use organic fertilizer/dolomite and the ph does not change.
Keep it up and you will find a system that works for you, you look well on your way.

Besides going to a concert/club, other memories of music are about sitting around a persons house, some instruments come out and people get into the music, fond memories of those times, some go back 55years.
My son turns 41 in a couple of days, I know he use to listen to music, I don't think as much these days. I believe he has other interests and commitments.

Latest posts

Latest posts