What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

micro bubble(r) cloner

I built a bubble cloner almost identical to that. Mine looks much larger though, I have 72 1/2" holes drilled in the lid. I used one hole for the air hoses, so a total capacity of 71. I use earplugs to hold the cutting in the hole, works out perfect. I also put aluminum foil over the clear bottom section because there was slime growing on everything. My lid is dark blue, so no worries there. The slime stopped growing.

I've got it mostly full now and only one showed roots after about 10 days, but they were only spikes and didn't keep growing. About 1/3 of the cuttings looked very sad and limp. I concluded the bubble cloner wouldn't work on this scale. I had 2 pumps with 3 stones.

So I turned it into an aeroponic cloner last night. It was very easy and now all of the cuttings are perked up and the soon to root tips have good water saturation, but the water temps are high, don't know exactly, just stuck my finger in the water and it was obviously above room temp(74F), so I put a few ice cubes in there.

I also bought some of the new rapid rooter cubes. Its a thick sheet of cubes with a hole in each cube. 98 cubes per sheet. The cuttings in the cubes look great.

Come to think of it, I have a great clone area for comparison. Peat pucks beside rapid rooters beside aeroponic cloner. Peat pucks don't work very well for me.

24/7 bubbles - never changed the water. I spray painted my lid so it is a solid color now ( hope this helps the next run). i planted the one clone today into soil. after it has been in the soil for a few hours it is really droopy / hopefully it is just a reaction to not being in the full water bath.

Should i leave it in the very weak light for a few more days or can it go into the mother chamber?:1help:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

G

Gilles&Cheryl

I would leave it in low light for a day or two, at least until it perks up.

baby is doing good. mom is getting back to spurt out more babies. bubbler lid has a fresh coat of flat black paint.

I am also revamping the clone area so it stays cooler and has its own light source

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

G

Gilles&Cheryl

The clone is recovering nicely. I am about to build the same cloner, I think I have all the supplies. I used to use one, years ago with great success but I scavenged my air pump for another project and never put the cloner back together.

I remember when the bubble cloner made its debut on overgrow it was recommended to have the air pump on a timer - 10min on/5min off. It was also suggested to leave the cuttings above the water line so that they are being misted by the bursting bubbles.

Changing the water daily is also suggested by a lot of people. When I used one in the past I changed daily, if I remember correctly.

Good luck. Maybe the modifications you made will get you some more roots.

i got a few diffrent bubble producing products to test them. (buddys fish tank extras)

flatstones ( have now )
bubble flex tube
bubble wand
standard air stone

the wand seems to produce the most and smallest bubbles per sq inch.

might run 2 of the 10" or 12" wands - and i now have 2 airpumps

the cloner wont be in direct hit of any hot air anymore so the water should stay around room temp. 75 or so

ill prolly try the timer also. What is the easiest timer to use? i have this timer
timer.jpg

not really the IDEAL one for that short of timing

so on my second run i am 7 days in to it. started with 9 clones. down to 5. the water is at 73. i have done 1 water change 2 days ago. all of the stems are brown and not show any sign of roots. i even did the scraping thing to the stems. So far i would say Sticky is not going to continue with this bubbler. Looks like i am going to try the perlite\vermiculite next... any good pointers? i am sure ill do some heavy reading on that subject.

Latest posts

Latest posts