What's new

Making fullmelt dry sift with the 3 screen bubblebox

C

Chamba

So now when you spray you're "compressed air" A FREEZING LIQUID SPRAYS OUT. got the shit all over my KEYBOARD.

I'd never use that shit on something expensive.
(you're area probably has the good ones without the liquid I cant find anywhere"

the only compressed air I've used is from the workshop.....never used it in a can..so can't really comment on canned stuff.

So How durable is the box in terms of.

You say a freezer helps what if I threw the stuff in the box then closed it and threw the box into a freezer? Then shook the whole box?

I did this with my current box and its seemed well....wet. Like the water in the freezer from ice and what not seeped into the box or something.

I'll answer this as I and a few mates have Bubble boxes.......the actual box is a beautiful table box, similar to a very high quantity cigar humidor, so it's not a "work" box and you'd be mad to place it in and out of a freezer.. ..

what you do is simply remove the screen frames to dry sift your material and when finished return the frames to your locking box after you finish.

I haven't actually used mine inside a freezer, but I have placed the screen frames with the ground up plant matter in the freezer and then removed them and dry sifted and carded it..no problems..as I mentioned before, the type of wood used in the Bubble Box frames is the best choice for extremes of humidity..but just don't soak them in water!.

freezing works not only because it makes the resin heads become brittle and are easier to snap off, the absolute dryness of a freezer helps the material completely dry out and helps the dry sifting and separating process too....it's very important to make sure your material is aged and very dry,

freezing the material is important too..but a gentle technique, starting material quality, low humidity and it's absolute dryness are just as important.

for those who do not have a walk-in freezer or live next door to Santa, you can freeze the material, especially if the room you are dry sifting in has a relatively high humidity (which tends to make things clump and fall through less easily when you get to the fine meshes) .....so if the room is not dry, after the first 5 minute run, place the frames and material in the freezer again for 30+ minutes then re-work it.

Happy Triple Sifting!

Last edited:
T

Truthman

I think the best way to get full melt would be to dry the material to 10%-15% moisture with a cigar humidor and then put it into the refrigerator NOT the freezer because if you put the material in the freezer the moisture will create ice crystals that will cut into the cells of the fiber and the resin glands and a lot of the essential oils will leave when it is thawed out.

Also, completely drying the material will cause problems because the plant fibers will easy turn to dust when broken down and contaminate the final product. Leaving some moisture will prevent this. The secret is cooling the material down in the refrigerator to make the resin glands heavier than the plant fibers but not frozen which will make crystals that cut through the cells which hold the chemicals we want and releases them when thawed.

This method will most likely produce really high quality full melt when using bubblebags but only mix when the water is near frozen and only do it for 5 minutes on low.

C

Chamba

everyone does it differently. The best thing about forums like this is that readers can check out different points of view, techniques and ideas then work out what's best for them

there's no right or wrong way....there's only what you prefer or what's best in your own unique situation...the following is what works for me

most cigar humidors are not ideal for long term storage/curing of bud....while these boxes are designed for keeping plant material in a small range of humidity that is good for bud...but the main reason humidors are not ideal is because these boxes are lined with Spanish cedar which is a strong aromatic type of wood that compliments cigar tobacco, not cannabis (or at least to a canna-purist) and helps keep away borers that can attact stored cigars(not a problem ganja suffers from) etc...long term cool, dark and dry conditions are best for keeping ganja at it's best after the initial drying process prior to dry sifting. Bubble boxes are not lined with Spanish Cedar, but have many design features of a humidor...anyway the Bubble box is not designed as a storage box, but can be.

and yeah, of course the material cannot be so dry that if you touch it, it turns to dust.....but neither should it be 2 or 3 weeks old from harvest or your yield will suffer, the plant material dries a long time before the trichomes do ....trics need to dry, shrivel and lose their water molecule so they attain their maximum potency and need to be fully dry so they don't smudge all over the mesh or over the plant material...if you want to remove the resin a few weeks after harvest then ice hash it...

while you can dry sift leaf and bud that was harvested a few weeks before, this is better done very gently with single screen dry sifting aiming for 10% ~ 15% of the resin on the material, not with 3 screens which involves repeatedly working the resin to and fro over very fine meshes with a credit type card.

dried and bottled bud that's a few months old that is gently sifted will produce excellent bubbling blond putty with 3 screens (then rework the material more aggressively again for the remaining trichomes)

every country that produces hash, harvests then waits at least several months until processing the material....there are several reasons for this : yield, ease, it's colder and drier in Winter or early Spring and they don't have to worry about police taking their crop that's stacked in the shed or bedroom etc..then the resin is pressed into hash or further "cured" or stored

...I have tried dry sifting material that is less than fully dry and while the quality of the small returns were ok, i prefer to dry sift my bud with two things in mind, quality and quantity..both have equal importance..so I do two runs, usually at the same sitting

Last edited:
C

Chamba

o'kief are not the most original company around, are they!

....they've copied Bubbleman's Bubble box sizes, and you have to laugh how they stack together..it looks like a D minus effort from a junior high wood working class..and it appears the mesh sizes are printed on paper and stuck on with tape...lol

it's too bad those frames are not in the same class as the tumblers they sell

Last edited:

hachis

Chamba said:
o'kief are not the most original company around, are they!

....they've copied Bubbleman's Bubble box sizes, and you have to laugh how they stack together..it looks like a D- effort from a junior wood working class..and it looks the mesh sizes are printed on paper and stuck on with tape...lol

Yeah it looks as bad as Gypsies copy!!!

Chamba, how is your Re-ceation of the Plastic Bag coming along!!!

HACHIS

C

Chamba

Yeah it looks as bad as Gypsies copy!!!

lol, get your facts right and let's give credit where it's due......before the Bubble Box, Wicca boxes, Wildflower boxes, Wolf boxes and all the other many other kif boxes with lids, screens and storage compartments were Gypsy Nirvana's stash boxes...the owner of this site sold the original "stash box with a screen" and then had several other updated models ..all the other sellers followed in his steps

check out the latest model..on special for only $75 + air parcel costs

https://www.seedboutique.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=973

http://www.seedbay.com/index.php?a=1002&b=39283

if those links don't work....

go to http://www.seedbay.com/ and click on "smoking accessories"

or go to https://www.seedboutique.com/ and check out "stash boxes"

edit : for those who don't know, the above sites and icmag.com belong to the same guy, Gypsy Nirvana.

Chamba, how is your Re-ceation of the Plastic Bag coming along!!!

haven't you got a good memory (and a new handle!)....and I don't want to sound like a smart-ass here, but I do get about a dozen new ideas or innovations pop into my head each week..some are not worth it or there are better examples already around, most are not commerically viable, some might be, rarely, some are!, some would require a sizable investment which is a gamble, as you know, applications for world wide Patent protection can run into the tens of thousands of dollars..some are on the back burner to be tackled at a later date...

ideas are easy, but the development of an idea into a prototype, then to sample stage, testing, then producing better samples, marketing the sample and then producing it are the hard parts..it takes time, money, expertise and perfect timing..I'm ok with the first part (ideas) but the latter parts are much harder

i guess the reason you ask is that you are still buying bud that's sold in plastic bags and the massive trichome loss pisses you off, eh? lol..I know what you mean, more often than not there's more smudged trics on the inside of the bag than on the bud itself!

anyway, the idea I have is not a "Re-creation of the Plastic bag" .....it's just a very simple innovation that might not be viable commercially or is already covered by an existing Patent ??..I haven't had time to look. I've been too involved with other projects, goofing off and life has been getting in the way lately..
but I'm surprised some one else hasn't already brought the innovation to market..but it's cannabis specific, so there's problems there..maybe some one else has already thought of it .....but it's on the back burner..lol

Last edited:

hachis

Resin Heaven

Resin Heaven

The first Real sieve box, "stash box, full melt dry sieve screen set" was called a Resin Heaven and was made by Don Collins of PYPES Palace.

You can read about them in Rob Clarkes book HASHISH!.

Don still has a few of the Original Resin Heaven Sieve Boxes for sale, just email him.

I think MrHaze420 has one that he still uses?

http://www.resinheaven.com./

HACHIS

C

Chamba

I couldn't find any of sifting boxes on that site you posted?..just lots of photos of some headshop

anyway...I never said Gypsy was the first to bring out a basic kif box with a screen ..sorry if you think I implied that, re-read what I wrote

I call a stash box something you can stash stuff in...what you are probably thinking of is a kif or shaker box (which is just a very basic four walls, a mesh screen and a lid)

actually, there's been lots of basic shaker boxes sold previously, just about all of them are single screen, roughly finished, chunky wood sifter boxes more suited to the garage (and probably made in some guys garage too), than for your coffee table ...and these simple shaker boxes I've seen were not designed for using as a rolling platform or for packing pipes over as the side walls are too deep...and the only place to put your lighter, grinder etc is in on the screen, which is limiting as it's nice to have bud on the mesh screen and your other smoking gear : papers, lighter, spoon etc all together and locked a separate compartment in the one box that makes hash as well!) Gypsy was the first to offer a stash box with a screen and a side compartment for your tools in the one box, later models were locking too...you can spread the word now Hachis!

btw you are not still rolling up or packing bowls on a magazine or a frizbee are you? lol...you should dig into your pockets get yourself a real Gypsy stash box with dual screens.....or dig a little deeper and get yourself the larger sized and innovative 3 screen Bubble box for making pure dry sift!..

btw the following photos were taken from everyonedoesit.com awhile back....I'm not sure if they still stock this model?

Last edited:

hachis

Chamba said:
I couldn't find any of sifting boxes on that site you posted?..just lots of photos of some headshop

You need to email them and ask, for they do not make them anymore. They just have a few originals left.
Yes, PYPES PALACE is one of the oldest and most famous headshops on the West Coast if not all of USA.
" Pype's Palace Est. 1976 ~ Portland's Oldest Originally Owned and Operated Headshops. Home of the First Lady Judge of Cannabis and Creators of the Original Resin Heaven Rolling Trays"
http://www.pypes.com/

For buying a stash box, I do not smoke plant material. I only smoke High Quality Resin, either made with water or dry sifted.

C

Chamba

hachis (or anyone else)...please post a photo of that box you mentioned.

hachis

Resin Heaven

Resin Heaven

Chamba said:
hachis (or anyone else)...please post a photo of that box you mentioned.

Hey Chamba, I am sure you own the book HASHISH! by Robert Connell Clarke.
You can see the Resin Heaven on page 319.

HACHIS

Mr.qewk

I recently had the pleasure of trying one of these bubble boxes and it was a very good experience even for a first timer like myself.
Won't even bother trying BHO or ISO now, I know where my trim is headed hehe. I didn't even freeze the trim properly (to eager to get going) and the amount I got still surprised me.
I did use to much force and got a semi greenish look to it but considering the materials I used I'm totally satisfied.

Only thing I reacted on was the lack of any general information on maintenance/cleaning.

Only took pictures of what was left on the 70micron net.
Early taken Diesel Ryder trimmings.

C

Chamba

Hachis "Hey Chamba, I am sure you own the book HASHISH! by Robert Connell Clarke.
You can see the Resin Heaven on page 319."

I don't have a copy of that book.....actually, I've even never seen a copy, apart from the odd excerpt posted online...I live about 15,000 miles away from the nearest counterculture book shop or head shop...Clarke's "Marijuana Botany" and "Hashish" are two canna related book I'd really like to check out.

do me a favor, if you have a scanner, please post a copy of that pic

Mr Gewk "Only thing I reacted on was the lack of any general information on maintenance/cleaning."

here's what I do with my Bubble Box....

for the exterior : first, use a dry cloth or duster to remove the dry dust then use a quality furniture polish and a soft cloth (without stitching or you will scratch the high gloss finish) to clean/polish up the exterior, then use another dry cloth with a circular action to polish it up like new..or just a dry/damp cloth then with a dry soft cloth for the exterior of the Bubble Box...another way is to use a small amount of soap on a (dryish) damp cloth then immediately wipe with clean dry damp cloth then polish with a clean dry cloth...old t-shirts are idea to cut and use.........you can also use a thin smear of car polish too (most car polishes are water based, so thin it out first on a small dish)..but firstly just make sure the polish doesn't have any strong smell or you box will smell like car polish

to clean the meshes (usually only the bottom finest mesh needs cleaning after lots of use) You can use compressed air ...or use iso and a small paint brush and "paint" the screens over a large dish or pan so the alcohol drips through...let the alcohol evaporate and you might get a tiny amount of iso-hash..alcohol won't hurt the wooden screen frame (as it's natural, unvarnished wood)...just make sure alcohol does not come into contact with the exterior of the Bubble Box as I think it would eat the lacquer and spoil the looks!).

if the screen frames get black/grimy with resin, you use a fine to medium sandpaper to clean them, rub the sandpaper in the same direction as the grain....or not and let then develop "character" over time.....make sure you do sand near the mesh or you might dig a hole with the sharp corner of the sandpaper

you can put the screens in the freezer (obviously, do not put the box itself in there), but just as easy is to just place the plant material in a paper bag in the freezer prior to working it ....then pour the material on the top mesh for breaking it up, processing and gently carding.....mesh sizes to some extent control the quality...but a gentle technique is more important..you can use a freezer, but I think it's the very low RH that helps more than the low temps..don't try and dry sift on a muggy humid day..if you don''t have a walkin freezer, use the a/c to help lower the room's RH

Only took pictures of what was left on the 70micron net.
Early taken Diesel Ryder trimmings.

Looks good, I'd hit that!.....then hit it again

Last edited:
G

GlassAnGrass

great show bubbleman.... lets see that ROOR u talked about...

Last edited:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi ya'll! Ran across this thread while search for existing full melt tutorials and thought it worth bumping!

meltybubble

Ive a box with one screen,not great but is better than none.It takes a while to clean it up after but I would usually use the bubble bags for dry.
I turn the 120u bag inside out over a bowl,you could wrap and trash but gentil massage and movement gets cleaner results.
Glad to see the bump from GW,ill get some pics up soon.
peace.

Latest posts

Latest posts