What's new

Lucky Mothers coffeeshop in Amsterdam

Senior Grower

Chili Canna Gourmet
Hi, after quite some years I will probably visit Amsterdam again this year. One of my favorite hang-outs was the Lucky Mothers coffeeshop on Keizersgracht. It used to be a great place where mostly American ex-pats showed up and the place was a lot quieter and more relaxing than the places downtown or on Leidseplein etc.

I see that it is gone. Do the people who ran it have a new place somewhere? Or is there a similar place you recommend?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Hi, after quite some years I will probably visit Amsterdam again this year. One of my favorite hang-outs was the Lucky Mothers coffeeshop on Keizersgracht. It used to be a great place where mostly American ex-pats showed up and the place was a lot quieter and more relaxing than the places downtown or on Leidseplein etc.

I see that it is gone. Do the people who ran it have a new place somewhere? Or is there a similar place you recommend?
Those were the good old days. When you go this time, take some photos for us so we can see how everything changing.

Senior Grower

Chili Canna Gourmet
Well, I noticed some of the old places are still around. Couldn't find Cafe 55 next to the old Hard Rock Cafe on Oudezijds Voorburgwal none of which exist. But Susie's Saloon is apparently still there. Well, most of my favorites seem to be gone. But there are still quite a few old-style places, according to web directories.

goingrey

People say Yo-Yo is a quiet/chill place out of the center but I've never been.

And there's always Katsu. Siberie in the center... Both play music relatively loud so not quiet like that but the atmosphere is relaxed. A lot of locals but hey you might run into some expats trying to cure their homesickness by complaining about things hehe.

Senior Grower

Chili Canna Gourmet
Siberie is a relatively old one I remember. Well, if all else fails I can still go to the Windmill brewery which is still there - a good beer is always welcome :)

Senior Grower

Chili Canna Gourmet
Oh yeah, remember that one. But I usually don't go out till later in the afternoon. Will rent a houseboat as I always did the last couple of times. It is too nice out there by the museum tram line with ducks coming to the boat to get fed and all.

goingrey

If you like a beer there are some bars will let you smoke as well though they don't sell. Like Kashmir Lounge right across the road from Kashmir coffeeshop that has a huge menu including imports from all over the world.