What's new

LOWRYDER 100 watt CFL's

G

GeT TwiZtiD

What up everyone, Check out this Lowryder i've got she's only 27 days old, but this one is very stretchy compared to my other Lowryder grows but anyway im using 100 watts of CFL, possibly more wattage towards the end. Right now ive got 1 cool 25 watt and 3 warm 25 watters, It's a 100% organic grow right now, i used "meijers brand organic soil" mixed it with some perlite, a little bit of vermiculite and about a fat fat cups worth of bat guano. I plan on finding some recipes for some organic teas or something to feed her when she gets a little bit bigger. Im going to let her go about 65-70 days, because i like my bud to be very nice and loaded with amber triches. And im hoping that will help to put a little more size on her, cause shes very stretchy right now. But anyway thanks for lookin! There will be lots more updates soon!

G

GeT TwiZtiD

Last time i only let them go for about 59-60 days. The taste was seriously un-believable it had a very fruity / candy like smell. And the high was absolutely awesome. 1 joint me gave a pretty couchlocking high.

Trev

im str8 outta detroit also, ill be keepin watch on this grow. always wanted to grow some LR just not practical to me since i hear they cannot be cloned. and 40 bucks a pack of seeds, just not worth it to me, ill stick with my blue buddah, jimmi x choco, and good old northern lights. althought puting some WW in this winter.

G

GeT TwiZtiD

Glad to see some fellow Michiganders on here! Anyway yeah the seeds are pretty price and the harvest isnt exactly that great but last time it was around 13 grams per Lowryder plant. I've found them to be really really good for breeding though, like if you have a favorite strain cross it with Lowryder and most likely they'll autoflower.

G

Looking pretty good. How are them cfl's treating you? Wish I had a lowryder strain...

G

GeT TwiZtiD

Young Giver said:
Looking pretty good. How are them cfl's treating you? Wish I had a lowryder strain...

The CFL's are working great. Im very tempted to put them under my HPS because if you could see the results from using the HPS for Lowryder, theres a big difference but i dont think im going to do it cause i'd rather have it be an ALL FLOURO grow. But she's starting to gain smell and smells very very nice, this one is also more sativa dominant than any others i have grown, and its not sativa dominant by much or so it seems...

pieceofmyheart

Veteran
GeT TwiZtiD said:
The CFL's are working great. Im very tempted to put them under my HPS because if you could see the results from using the HPS for Lowryder, theres a big difference but i dont think im going to do it cause i'd rather have it be an ALL FLOURO grow. But she's starting to gain smell and smells very very nice, this one is also more sativa dominant than any others i have grown, and its not sativa dominant by much or so it seems...

I have been thinking of making the change to another type lighting system. My yields stink and I think it is the CFL's.

Please keep us informed of the difference you see using only CFL's.

Trev

ive grown with cfls and hps, and an HID will always come out on top, even if its just a wee 70 watter were you can really put anywere you can put a CFL they dont get hot at all. i saw a chart once that stated HID's are 3 times as powerful as CFLs for growing, so every 50 watts of HID you would need 150 watts of fluoro. so by adding a 70 watter you've knocked out almost 200 fluoro watts. I still use CFL's though with my hps full spectrum, plants love it, they grow nice and fast,.

pieceofmyheart said:
I have been thinking of making the change to another type lighting system. My yields stink and I think it is the CFL's.

I'm a CFL grower that has just switched over to a 400w HPS. Like you, I'm thinking my yields should be a little better. I've been growing with (2) 125w cfls. The plants do okay but I've seen too many 400w grows that had very nice yields. My last grow under the fluoros netted 2.3 ounces of nice Blue Mystic bud. CFLs don't penetrate the canopy to the lower branches like HIDs. As a result, I have to keep my plants pretty short. Now, I have to figure out how to get rid of the heat in my closet with the HPS. I've installed an exhaust fan (a "poot" fan, if you will) in the closet but it's not sucking out enough heat. I'm off to Home Depot today to try and upgrade the exhaust. If the salesman asks why I need such a powerful exhaust, I'll tell him I have an extreme flatulence condition.
Grow big!
Rev

G

GeT TwiZtiD

Well HPS's CRUSH CFL's in the competition of lighting. HPS's are like 10 times more powerful than CFL's which will increase yield and so on. Anyway i just like growing with CFL's because it's something different ya know, I've ended up with the same ammount of lightburns on the leafs as i would an HPS, because i had some of the CFL's set up pretty weird, But other than that the CFL's working fine for me, you just get a low yield i've never seen affected potency im sure yes you loose a little bit of potency but i've been growing with CFL's for quite some time now and every single time the harvest always gets me super high. Anyway i got some new pics that i just took today, She's getting loaded with trich's the pictures arent to great compared to how she looks in person shes loaded with trichs and smells very good! Anyway i know theres a few light burns on a few of the leaves due to how i had my lights set up but thats fixed now and hopefully no more light burns will occur. BTW i forgot to add today is day 35! she's still quite a way to go

Last edited:
G

GeT TwiZtiD

Yeah shes lookin pretty good! im going to sample her next week to see if she has any potency yet

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
duder your LR's look great for what little cfl lighting ya used

cfl's should be hung at a 90 degree angle tot he plants tops and kept between 1-4 inchs, i veg using cfl's and love em i keep mine 3inch from plants tops
280w mixed spectrum cfl's each fixture has a 25w daylight @1470 lumens and a 45w warm at 2900 lumens. the tip of a cfl dosent produce as intense of lighting as the edge/sides of the bulb dose you can even have a custom reflector if ya choose

22 plants in the pic above i get noting but mad mad growth during veg, there;s a few tricks for the coil cfls take a peice of tinfoil dull side out lenght from inside edge of ballast to inside tip of coil. roll this into a pencil shap and wedge it between the inside edge is ballast and inside tip of coil. now this is the trick a coil cfl light must reflect of itself inside the coil then out thus reducing the ammount of light reaching the plant. the rolled foil make's the light reflect off it and directly out to the plant thus if any light is lost tis very minumal. you can make a sode can reflector OG read about there cut half of 1 side of the can and the top off place over the coil this works perfect { dont ever cover the ballasts} for smaller cfls but like my 45w nope need larger can. a cfl dose produce heat not so much from the bulb although it will burn a leaf but the ballast it gets warm. this heat builds up i use a small 3inch fan to blow across the cfl's ballast's and bulb erea's. just so happens the plants tops there also make em nice n strong lol, have good passive not forced fresh air intake 1 side bottom and strong forced exhaust top opposite side. you'll have plenty of air exchange, the above cfl setup my temps ran in a closet both doors open some my temps ran what the house was 77-78. i flower with a 400w hps, when overgrow was up n runnign i seen many many many fine cfl grows. the ppl who where using them properly where pulling almost as nice as hps

Last edited:

pieceofmyheart

Veteran
Trying to understand the foil thing you are talking about. Any chance of pics?
I have mylar on the lid, above the lights, is that good enough?

Last edited:

Maj.PotHead

Mentor
Veteran
pieceofmyheart said:
Trying to understand the foil thing you are talking about. Any chance of pics?
I have mylar on the lid, above the lights, is that good enough?

notice the dull side tinfoil inside the coil this make the lighting reflect directly out and not off itself then out, im not hijacking the post here's a pic of the plants ruffly 30days from the 1st pic above

the whole veg was with them cfl's i'm currently at 1 day 12/12 under 400w hps

Last edited:

pieceofmyheart

Veteran
I see now, thank you very much.

I know it looked like we hijacked twiztid's thread but we are becoming a tight group in the micro grow section and I really doubt he minded.

besides...he is very nice.

Maj.PotHead

Mentor
Veteran
n/p i just think cfl's are really under rated granted they arent HID but the results can surprise ya. i also can use 2ft singel bulb fluro's if ya have 2ft height line the side of grow erea with em. 1 in each corner and 1 mid each wall :) that helps the lower sites. personally i would mix the spectrum mine came from walmart cost 9.99$ each and came w/5000k 20w bulb nice blue spectrum. replacement bulbs like 5$ each and you can get 2700-3000k redish for flower at walmart also :).

there's a trick for the fluros also :) again i use dul side foil take a peice ya want 1-2 inch each end of bulb not covered {allows heat to escape} wrap half way around the side leaving the whole bottom half open i'll take a pic and post it in a min you'll direct the light being wasted on the back side of the bulb

again another overgrow learned trick srry cant rem who the props go to he originally used aluminum tape note how each end of the bulb isnt covered the ehat escapes there. also a small 3 inch fan blow across the bulb erea keeps ambient heat down

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts