What's new

(( LoKey's 1020 tray, 161w cfl micro closet cab ))

LoKey

Day 14 of 12/12 - Day 21 total

well here we are with another week gone by, a couple of the mandala #1 are showing some preflowers, and the one Jamil Sayidda is a boy, but you can figure out which one it is in the photo (hes at the front of the class)

notes: the mandala #1's are already going the bush route as there focusing alot of there energy on the axle shoots where as the jamil sayidda is going the taller route, but there all still compact.

also ripped off all the mylar in the cab, my reasoning other than being bored, is the emergency blankets arent as high as quality compared to the better grade mylar, and the existing flat white paint would probably perform better that plus the light is better diffused compare to straight reflection with the cheap mylar

picture.php

gmajor

hey hey nice grow, I would suggest to tape those pots up or something. Roots don't like light. Those pots look transperant.

Keep up the good work :)

LoKey

hey hey nice grow, I would suggest to tape those pots up or something. Roots don't like light. Those pots look transperant.

Keep up the good work :)

they are transparent but honestly no sense in taping up the sides as the roots are healthy and i have had them remain that way through previous grows, also the amount of light they get is next to nothing anyways cause there packed in there tight and then have a canopy above them, plus i get to see what there doing :watchplant:

LoKey

fuzz & cheesebuds thanks

well so far im looking at 3 confirmed boys (1 JS and 2 mandala #1) and one JS female, the rest are still undetermined but looking at growth structure one more will probably be male, but really im not counting till there confirmed.

so my thought is im gonna wait till the males are pretty swollen and ready to bust their nuts, and ill go ahead and chop their heads off and put them in some water as cuttings and then allow them to drop there pollen (more than likely ill be doing this in either the mother section or ill make up a separate small box and locate it else where)

but mean while ill also re-pot the now chopped male plants into smaller containers just as backup.

then ill be waiting a bit till the fems are throwing white hairs everywhere and use targeted pollination just so i know what is what, plus ill keep the top buds untouched more than likely just for a small supply (which will be more than enough for me).

also i would be taking more pictures but seeings how im not past 50 posts yet (6 to go, and i try to avoid useless posts) but i don't really see a huge point when my max resolution is only 800px, plus who really needs a picture shown of each plant at 50 different angles. So ill just be doing overall shots and individuals if i think they're note worthy

LoKey

Forgot to add ive also been running without a circulation fan in the lower section since more or less the beginning, reason being is the fan sat too close to the wall of the cab which cause very little airflow, plus the fan was a junker that i had kicking around so it was nosier than the rest (had another zalman f-2 but i fried it by accident), so ill be getting a new fan for that along with a higher amperage transformer as my current one suffers slightly when running 3 fans, so they would probably be growing quicker if there transpiration and air circulation was higher.

And there only running at 9v as i found 12v was a little to loud, as right now there stealth and you can only notice them if its dead quite elsewhere and your specifically trying to pickout there noise

LoKey

ill admit this is a useless post as i could edit the posts above but it gets me a post closer to 50

so

Correction: i took a closer look at all the plants, and it looks like i have 2 boys (1-JS, 1-M#1, with possibly a 2nd M#1 but it looks like its producing balls but at the same time one of the lower pre flowers has some pistils coming out so who know ), 5 girls (3-JS, 1-M#1, 1-SM), and 3 that are still undetermined (2 safari mixes and one mandala#1, and one of the safari mixes has a small pre flower but its too young to determine, well for me anyways)

Well that's a good split so far, but ill be double checking in over the next week just to make sure on all of them, cause it easier to just wait and get a definite answer then chop or jump to conclusions early and have an unsuspected male busting a nut when you don't want him to.
But when the time comes i will limit the males down to one of each strain, then ill be able to transplant the one safari mix's that's in the small 20oz bottle to a bigger bottle cause ill probably have 2 males of some strain, unless it goes male then it will just get the axe, because as i said at the beginning of this thread that i don't care about making crosses with any safari mix's that i get, but who knows i might throw some pollen on some of the SM females but we will see

kweb1989

good work so far

good work so far

Your doing an exellent job so far. i like the style of the cab. the girls look to be very healthy and growing well... keep us posted with pics by the weeks to come...

:wave:keep it up man...:wave:

LoKey

keep us posted with pics by the weeks to come...

:wave:keep it up man...:wave:

will do

and thanks anti and superpedro, they are doing very well so far, can't argue for straight un-ph tap water

right now some of them are starting to stretch as they want to get higher than there surrounding plants, one JS (that isn't a male), stretched a bit to much for my liking as there is still plenty of time left for growth, so we will see what she does, then again this is all from seed so what they do now wont necessary reflect what they do when there running from clones.

Also if it does end up with me having 2 possibly 3 males out of the 4 mandala #1's then ill pop a couple more seeds come the end of the month

LoKey

Well its Sunday again so here are the pics

Day 21 of 12/12 - Day 28 total

To start it was getting pretty congested in the flower section, and the plants were just trying to over take there neighbors so mainly the Jamil Sayidda's put on a good amount of stretch, which i mainly attribute to me not having a circulation fan in the flower chamber at the moment, and because they were all put in at the same time, i believe that staggered starts are definitely beneficial as it prevents some of the stretching to try and over come its neighbors.

So around Thursday i went a little to crazy on the fan leafs (took a little to many off in my opinion or was a bit to early in doing it) but it was to allow light to get to the axle shoots, and to slow down the stretching as then they are not competing for light, but there coming around pretty good now i took a picture right after i trimmed them and i can say they have definitely rebounded, i can upload it if people are intrested.

Also threw the boys up top, transplanted them into smaller containers and beat them a little to lay over (easier for pollen collection)

So the tally so far is i have 4 males (2 mandala #1, 1 Jamil Sayidda, and one safari mix which im not sure if ill use or just toss it)

So that leaves 2 safari mix girls(which are doing the best so far, which i attribute to the extra week, or could just be them), 3 Jamal Sayidda's which are all throwing pistils (the one close up pic is a JS) and then 2 Mandala's #1, one is taller and the other one is a stout bush, the bush hasn't thrown any pistil's but im about 98% sure its female with its couple of preflowers and how its growing.

So 7 girls and 4 boys out of the 11

I also started 4 more seeds (2 js and 2 mandala #1) as ill have room for at least 3 girls in the flower chamber still so, figured why not.

Well here are the pics of the girls with there bad hair cut (gotta make them look ugly so the boys don't go after them yet lol)
picture.php

And a closeup of a Jamil Sayidda
picture.php

LoKey

Day 28 of 12/12 - Day 35 total

Well another week has gone by.

Did a couple things this week, first i did some more trimming even though i really shouldn't have, but oh well i know for next time, so there slowly turning around since Tuesday i think it was.

picture.php

Also all 4 seeds have popped (mandala's were vigorous as hell, within a day and half they had already shed there shells from me putting them into moist paper towel and inside a ziplock) even though mandala suggest the direct to soil route, i like to go straight to the papertowel route (no soaking as its really its not needed when your throwing it in a wet paper towel, its just one more step that could cause complications) But i transferred them to soil on the morning of the third day, now there starting to take off, my plan for these one is to give them two weeks of veg maybe three before throwing them into the flower section, as my Safari mix's seemed to benefit from it (but we will find out if it benefits these seeds, still learning and adapting to this cab and containers).

Had an accident with the smallest jamil sayyida female and accidentally broke of the top of her stem (survival of the fittest i guess, lol) But i threw the top plus two small cuttings from the bushy mandala #1 into a container of damp soil and threw a plastic bag over them to act as a humidity dome. Ive never had much success of cloning in the past, so im still trying to find what works for me, cause as freezerboy would say, its voodoo. As in the past ive tried a home made ez-cloner, a home made bubbler, homemade bubbler that had a perlite bed, direct perlite bed without domes, perlite vermiculite mixtures without a dome, straight to soil, and jiffy pellets. But so far my best results were jiffy pellets and straight to soil. My thought on mostly why in the past my cloning hasn't been that successful was because either i had no humidity dome for the first while, and i had too much light. But i want to get straight to soil cloning perfected for me as it would be the most convenient for me in the long run as it can take up the least amount of much space and i dont need to be running a bubbler or anything fancy, so ill be working on perfecting that.

As for the guys they all have been culled, they gave me enough of there pollen, and i disposed of them Friday and today, so at the moment i have pollinated the Jamil Sayyida's (with JS pollen and Mandala #1 pollen just on different bud sites) but ill be waiting probably about another 4days to a week to do the other females, as they aren't throwing pistil's as quick as the JS's

Oh and the one Jamil Sayyida is starting to develop DARK purple calyxes which is pretty sweet, so we will wait to see how it will look in the end

LoKey

Well tried to find some good quality mylar in town, but didn't have much luck, so i went another route just because the cost to bring some in would of been more than getting a roll of the bubble reflective barrier, so i got some stuff called AYR-FOIL, it was less than half the price of reflectix (home depot), so i got some cause it was the exactly the same thing.

There is definitely a perceived brightness increase in the cab now, as the lower foliage is definitely alot brighter than before. So that will make the plants happier, only downside is the stuff is 1/4" thick so i lost a 1/2" in each direction. But being now that the inside dimensions are now 20.5"x10.5" that equals 1.495sqft total so coincidentally that squeaks me into being able to enter the 1sqft challenge :greenstars: , if i wanted to that is, but we will wait till im pretty comfortable with this cab

so i still need to get another fan for the flower chamber but, im gonna try some other fans for the scrubber and exhaust, just to see if i can get the same flow rate but make it quieter, as right now its pretty damn quiet, but i know it can be better

heres a pic

LoKey

Well whether its the increase in light reflection, or their finally getting over their human induced shock, they are starting to show new growth on the lower branches on the SM and Mandala's and are that new lime light green color, and they're all looking super healthy, plus they're throwing on a new burst of roots.

Also took the bag off the one group of clones today and watered the soil, i wasn't expecting roots for at least another week and wasn't gonna check them either (cause you know humans are the biggest cause of death) but checked them anyways to see how the stems were doing cause i was scraping the stem this round to give it a try, plus to see if they were rotting from too much moisture (problem in the past), but the one mandala #1 cutting had 3 small roots coming out of it :)

Cant argue for throwing roots in 7days when it was 3.5 weeks into 12/12, and straight to soil without any rooting hormones, and being pretty small

So i repotted it into its own little 2.5" pot, and ended up using some fresh LC mix for it, as im running low on my old mix plus figured why not, but this mix was done with coco cause i had some lying around (even though i would prefer local peat) and is prefertilized with alfalfa, bone meal, and kelp, and dolomite lime and is all mix to exact ratios, instead of my last mix which was a rough guesstimate. So here to keeping our fingers crossed for it cause, the soilless mix has only sat for maybe a month.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
My understanding of the reason for non-transparent pots is not because the roots will be damaged by exposure to light, but because light that is reaching your roots is also reaching any other photosensitive bacteria or plantlife in your soil. So you may find other things growing if you allow those other things access to light and their growth may impact the living conditions of the lifeform you WANT growing in that planter.

If your soil is relatively free from living contamination, it shouldn't matter either way.

LoKey

My understanding of the reason for non-transparent pots is not because the roots will be damaged by exposure to light, but because light that is reaching your roots is also reaching any other photosensitive bacteria or plantlife in your soil. So you may find other things growing if you allow those other things access to light and their growth may impact the living conditions of the lifeform you WANT growing in that planter.

If your soil is relatively free from living contamination, it shouldn't matter either way.

yeah most people dont understand that though and they just think it will kill your roots but typically if something does grow its a little bit of green algae, or some random random seed that got carried over in some compost or whatever, but they never go far.

Also once this thing is packed full not much light will get to the sides of the container anyways, if i had side lighting or all the plants were spaced very sparsely then (like having two plants), then i would be using different containers.

But i do like the ability to see the roots to see how there doing, cause healthy white roots, typically corresponds to a happy plant, that and i can see if the soil is over watered or too dry.

side note: should mention my old soil mix has pot worms, and mites (good ones) in it from wherever they got them, but it has never been a problem, they just do there thing, and the plants are always healthy, i get the odd fungus knat from time to time, but were talking like maybe one or two, so i have always had a nice active soil, so we will see how this new mix does, might have to mix in some compost down the road if things aren't looking well

Latest posts

Latest posts