What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Let iT Breed!

JLP

Veteran
It's called: Cultivating exceptional Cannabis:an expert breeder shares his secrets by DJ Short.

I got mine at Tower Records for $16.95.

JLP:)

Aquaman2112

JLP said:
It's called: Cultivating exceptional Cannabis:an expert breeder shares his secrets by DJ Short.

I got mine at Tower Records for $16.95.

JLP:)
Thank you if thiers any others I would love to know will buy that one!!! Any Other good growing material you can think of as well!I would be interested in!!

Aquaman2112

Gday

Gday

Joe, if your after a printer friendly verison if you just copy and paste into a word document you can fiddle with text size and font there.

As for copyright, there is no gain or money being made from using someone elses thoughts here, its all about sharing knowledge without monetary gain, or atleast i thought it was. I understand paraphrasing and copyright but i really dont think Aquaman has intended to break any laws or take someone elses work for his own.

**Beware my Future Post will have more of the same**

hahahahaha sharing information is GOOD.

:) Good on ya Aqua!
Best regards,

Leeroy:abduct:

g13

Aquaman2112 helps alota folks

Aquaman2112 helps alota folks

thats what this board is all about ...helping each other become better growers ..I am all for copy&paste this thread answered alot of questions...and he never claimed it as his own!I printed it for a referance guide thanks for the info Aquaman2112...keep it comming..g13:abduct:

GreatLakes THC

an Arthur P. Jacobs production
Veteran
Good Info...

I do the same thing Aquaman. I save information, pictures, and videos on pretty much anything that interests me. Copy and paste is awesome, but I do try to save the source information so I know where I found things. It helps me when I need to find more information. Nice work on getting this out to people who may not have found it before, or who didn't know where to find it.

GreatLakes THC

Great Text!

Great Text!

This is what i was looking for a long time, a looong breeding white paper with noooo flammers interrupting!

IC rules! ;)

Wanna know something i just realised? I only find great stuff to read when i'm really late for bed!

Doesn't it happen to you?

molto mota

excellent read, i just packed another wrinkle or two in the old noggin there. makes me wish i had multiple rooms to work with, hehe. definitely just what i was looking for, as im looking at doing a deep chunk x thai cross in hopes to shorten the stature and flowering time of the thai while retaining it's unique high. im wondering whether to use a deep chunk male or a thai male though, as far as which might influence the desired traits. im thinking the DC male will be easier to work with though.

anyhow, thanks for spreading the info aquaman, its much appreciated!

Aquaman2112

well I was reading breeding canibus by DJ Shorts tonight along with some of Ed Roesental however you spell it and says really you can use either might want to go by your local bookstore and do some reading... :0)
and you are most welcome :)

wow! thanks aqua it only took me an hour to read ;) Thanks for the info, exactly what i've been looking for... you rock dude Peace -AGT

zamalito

Veteran
I just bought the michael starks book marijuana potency from amazon for 97 cents. This is apparently the book that gave dj short the idea to select males with hollow stems. I've kept this article handy for about five years now from when I first read it in cannabis culture. Its a great article. Its also the reason 90% of my growing is done outside. DJ's definitely right you just can't get the good sativa phenos inside. I've never smoked anything grown inside I couldn't build a tolerance to and had no ceiling. My acapulco or acapulco x g13 are both fairly bland inside even with 13/11 veg 11/13 flower but when taken outside its unbeatable. Guys that go to new york to pay 800 an ounce for hydro diesel wouldn't even touch the stuff when I showed it to them it wasn't dense enough wasn't sticky enough (though very sticky) etc. Its a shame what most people view as a highest quality sativa is always gonna be second rate to a true outdoor organic product.

G

hello, I have a pure indica seeds...what is a best strain to pollen the Deep Chuck mother plant?,(pure indica)

Please hepl me...

C

Chamba

"Strains from Thailand are characterized by tall meandering growth of the main stalk and limbs and fairly extensive branching. The leaves are often very large with 9 to 11 long, slender, coarsely serrated leaflets"

the Thais I grew were not nearly as coarsely serrated as some African strains.

"arranged in a drooping hand like array.
The Thai refer to them as "alligator tails" and the name is certainly appropriate.
Most Thai strains are very late-maturing and subject to hermaphrodism. It is not understood whether strains from Thailand turn hermaphrodite as a reaction to the extremes of northern temperate weather or if they have a genetically controlled tendency towards hermaphrodism."

It's been my experience that it's not a reaction to the weather or temps, they have a tendancy to go hermie at any time during flowering and would during periods of 100F/36C degrees or 55F/12C degrees or any temp inbetween ...I grew quite few Thai plants in a sub tropical area from seeds I sourced in Thailand in the 80's and early 90's ..but never grew any of 60's or 70's Thai..but I did smoke some Thai stick in Australia when I was a kid

"To the dismay of many cultivators and researchers, Thai strains mature late, flower slowly, and ripen unevenly. Retarded floral development and apparent disregard for changes in photoperiod"

I don't know about a "disregard", i think Thais are simply just slow to move into flowering mode as they become big and old enough..which might give the impression they do not react to a reduction in the photoperiod..

I find most sativas, Thais included to be very easy to re-veg again after harvesting, so long as the plant is reasonably healthy, roots don't get too wet, you add nitrogen and you leave 3 or 4 lower branches with some pop-corn buds to let it re-veg with extended photoperiod of 14 + hours of light per day)

"and weather may have given rise to the story that Cannabis plants in Thailand live and bear flowers for years."

it's possible.....if you take a landrace sativa strain that is used to growing at Lat 05 ~15 and grow it in eg Lat 35 then by the time it is fully ripe (Jan, Feb or April) the hours of light per day in April and May will encourage revegging..so it's possible in eg California with a mild Winter and a dry climate for a Thai plant that is forgotten about in the bush could naturally revegg again in May and June and be ready for harvesting Dec or Jan with old and new resin.

"Despite these shortcomings, Thai strains are very psychoactive and many hybrid crosses have been made with rapidly maturing strains, such as Mexican and Hindu Kush, in a successful attempt to create early-maturing hybrids of high psychoactivity and characteristic Thai sweet, citrus taste".

Out of the couple of hundred or more I grew over the years and the many I tasted in Thailand last century, I've never tasted anything that could be called "sweet" or "citrus"...the taste i remember is a distinctly earthy & spicey tasting bud.

"The calyxes of Thai strains are very large, as are the seeds and other anatomical features,"

"leading to the misconception that strains may be polyploid. No natural polyploidy has been discovered in any strains of Cannabis though no one has ever taken the time to look thoroughly. The seeds are very large, ovoid, slightly flattened, and light brown or tan in color. The perianth is never mottled or striped except at the base."

seed size ..I found the opposite...I grew many different Thai plants, I seeded many of them too...all the seeds were small, without markings and were a fat torpedo shape,..the seeds he describes remind me of some haze strains I've grown, though some of these haze seeds had were light tan colored with a faint bluish tinge to them and a weird ovoid shape

I bet DJ is talking about Thais from the 60's or 70's..probably before Thai genes were mixed with imported genes for improved yields and earlier harvesting.

btw Thai seeds readily detach from the calyx when ripe, as do many tropical sativas (many indicas retain their seeds and don't drop them as readily so the seeds survive the harsh winter, wet Spring and the decomposition of the plant matter..many talk about resin being an insect repellant, and it is, but resin encrusted calyxes protect the seed by waterproofing them too).....

"Greenhouses prove to be the best way to mature stubborn Thai strains in temperate climes"

I haven't grown any Thais for more than ten years....apart the long flowering and tendancy to hermie, they are a pleasure to grow as they are very tough and vigorous.

I find the best way to grow Thais or any other tropical strain is to either plants 15 ~ 20 seeds in each plot with the aim of ending up with one, two or three hermie free females

or

clone all your females as they show sex, cull the transexuals as they show and grow these female clones in small pots with an extended photoperiod until fully into veg mode ....then plant out with a shortday/longer night photoperiod these will trigger into flowering a little faster and finish earlier...keep them in pots if you are growing in locales with frost so you can shelter them during bad weather

Chock Dee!

Last edited:

vStagger Leev

Cannaseur
Veteran
I wish I could read it, theres no structure to any of the reading it's just a block of words! Informative words, but I didnt even read it because theres no frigging paragraphs or proper assembly of paragraphs at all! lol it's all good! thanks for all the info, i'll need to pick through it. STagger

C

cannaisok

very informative! nice to read a compact overview like this. dj short is very smart grower!