What's new

LED vs. HID test grow

Lumen

NoSayHombre: Right, blue 6W is maybe enough to not let a motherplant die, fruiting or general grow will be dissapointing.

Mystic420: No to the x-mass lights, too weak. A maybe for the stop-light. But it is too weak to fruit on it's own, but as a supplemental light it will be OK.

rr14

yeah, I agree. It's not much power. They're setting up a grow room with one. I'm tempted to experiment with them still though.

Check this out...

Check this out...

My awesome husband found me this link:
DIY led kit

I'm thinking of getting 4 of these to start my own experiment. I'm all for a grow with no heat issues, less electrical usage, increased stealth factor. I appreciate a good yield as would any grower but the benefits of using LEDs for growing are IMO worth it. With time will come advancements in LED technology and I'm sure we'll find a way to maximize the effectiveness of these lights. I believe that intensive LST combined with the right array panels will revolutionize growing as we know it.

Nameless :joint:

Last edited:
NamelessCitizen said:
My awesome husband found me this link:
DIY led kit

I'm thinking of getting 4 of these to start my own experiment. I'm all for a grow with no heat issues, less electrical usage, increased stealth factor. I appreciate a good yield as would any grower but the benefits of using LEDs for growing are IMO worth it. With time will come advancements in LED technology and I'm sure we'll find a way to maximize the effectiveness of these lights. I believe that intensive LST combined with the right array panels will revolutionize growing as we know it.

Nameless :joint:
That will take a millenium to solder. It does not specify Intensity or Viewing angle.

Supacalabala said:
That will take a millenium to solder. It does not specify Intensity or Viewing angle.

Nothing for you to worry about. Thanks for the concern but I've got a friend who's going to do the soldering for me. Besides, for $20 more you can have it assembled and tested.

Honestly I sense nothing positive in your response but your opinion won't dissuade me from trying anyway. I provided that link for others who may consider going the DIY route, not for those who want to shoot my idea down. Whatever... I'm just trying to contribute to a really informative thread.

Kaneh-Bosm

Nice thread. Very informative. All you out there defending HID lighting in this thread. He was honest about the LED light stretch. He was honest about it taking longer. he was honest about the total harvest weight. The test was to get a hard comparison. He did that. he didnt even make the thread into a HIDHut debate. If all you do is say what is wrong I take it you are not educated enough on the topic to come up with a solution. Notice all I did was thank him for the information the thread provided. I will decided what the figures mean for my own uses. My personal lighting is HID and CFL but I am learning about LED because the technology is advancing fast and I see potential to reduce energy cost dramatically.

Last edited:

Lumen

NamelessCitizen said:
I provided that link for others who may consider going the DIY route, not for those who want to shoot my idea down. Whatever... I'm just trying to contribute to a really informative thread.

The link you quoted is one of the few 5mm LED based systems I'd recommend. With 5mm LEDs you need only need 60% of energy you'd use of a HID system. So you propably get something around 20-25W of a HID system (which isn't availabe AFAIK, but I wanted you to know what to expect). Keep that in mind and only put plants under it in stages where you'd think 25W of HID would be OK. Maybe a Mom and Cuttings.

Lumen said:
The link you quoted is one of the few 5mm LED based systems I'd recommend. With 5mm LEDs you need only need 60% of energy you'd use of a HID system. So you propably get something around 20-25W of a HID system (which isn't availabe AFAIK, but I wanted you to know what to expect). Keep that in mind and only put plants under it in stages where you'd think 25W of HID would be OK. Maybe a Mom and Cuttings.

Moms, vegging cuttings & seedlings would seem to benefit most from LED lighting. This is where I plan on incorporating LEDs into my grow. I'll be flowering with a 250W CMH in a 3.5 sq ft grow space.

Last edited:

Lumen

Especially with cuttings you'll see if it works within 2 weeks and don't have to wait a whole grow to tell us your opinion. I'm looking forward to your findings!

Last edited:
NamelessCitizen said:
Nothing for you to worry about. Thanks for the concern but I've got a friend who's going to do the soldering for me. Besides, for $20 more you can have it assembled and tested.

Honestly I sense nothing positive in your response but your opinion won't dissuade me from trying anyway. I provided that link for others who may consider going the DIY route, not for those who want to shoot my idea down. Whatever... I'm just trying to contribute to a really informative thread.
How are you going to grow with LEDS without considering intensity of light ,are you a complete moron.
Neg right back at you buddy :)

Last edited:

ELEV8D

this may be a dumb question but did the original poster of this thread use the new ufo system or his own setup?

Lumen

It looks like the thing that became the UFO after being in prototype state, which the original poster used.

rr14

it'll be interested to watch led's as people tailor their led's for separate phases of the grow whether veg or flower. Specialized leds will have better results, but will they be good enough. I'm mostly concerned with veg.

Lumen

Looks like the LED side had some trimming in between and needed some training, it had much more biomass. So what one gets lookes like a third of the harvest, for a 5th of power. Maybe half of the harvest if the plant wouldn't have been stressed like it looks in the video. Very nice. Thanks for the link/video.

rr14

I ran one of those indoor sun led lights (the one shaped like an incandescent bulb) and it didn't do squat. The plant under it appered to grow less than the other ones. This is the veg specific one too. I can't wait to give some feedback to the hydro store owners.

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
Amazing that there was only 90 grams off of a 400w... .29 gpw. Sorry this is a skewed experiment, he should have yielded at least .50 gpw with a 400w.