What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Led lights still on 5% when timer off

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have an HLG 600R , had dimmer problem , wouldn’t dim so got a replacement
Now when the timer is off , I tried a few timers .. the LED panel is still getting power but very little ..
I’m no electrician how is this possible?

View attachment 18979348
This may help a little :dunno: copied from mars forum credit to Cvh not me ..

:thinking:

Last edited:

Rocket Soul

@Rocket Soul same thing after swop .. so it’s the light ?
Thats really strange. Dont think its the light though. Even if you had a faulty dimmer the led driver shouldnt get any current when the timer is switched off. Seems like your timer is leaking current no matter which way you put the live line. I dunno, not a full electrician here, at this point i dont wanna guess what could be wrong.

Rastafarout

Premium user
@Chevy cHaze nope it’s still the same just plugged the digital timer in and it’s exactly the same … phot to be the dimmer switch ? But how’s it getting power … STUMPED!

Rastafarout

Premium user
Dimmer problems usually look like the dimmer not reaching full power, getting stuck etc. Does it work properly?
Yeah I had a dimmer problem already .. it would just dim itself ect … this is the replacement one , works fine just the “feedback” prob now

Rocket Soul

Dunno what to try next apart from basic troubleshooting; does this happen in another plug with the dimmer or only this one, etc

When you switched brown and blue on your extension cord, how did you set it up after? Plug - extension- timer - light? Or plug- timer- extension- light?
You must put the extension between the plug and the timer in order for it to work.

Basicly in some way the timer is leaking current which is going into the led driver and then shorts to ground, as far as i can understand.

Rastafarout

Premium user
It’s only this led panel , and does it in any plug I’ve tried 4 different

And different timers plus a new digital one all same ..

Wall- extension- timer- led Panel

Im going to have to be the timer now
A Fucking headache that is going to be !

Rocket Soul

Weird AF. Speak to HLG about it. Also, was this a MW HLG 600 driver? I think they come with external on/off controls, theres more ways to switch that driver than with an external AC relay.

Tynehead Tom

Thats really strange. Dont think its the light though. Even if you had a faulty dimmer the led driver shouldnt get any current when the timer is switched off. Seems like your timer is leaking current no matter which way you put the live line. I dunno, not a full electrician here, at this point i dont wanna guess what could be wrong.
My thinking is along the same lines.
I have a spider farmer sf4000 that when plugged right into the wall will not fully turn off.
So I plugged it into a mechanical relay box on a timer and problem solved. No power can get to the light once the timer trips the relay.

So if there is a timer between source and the light why wouldn't this discussion be about the timer?
Next question..... what country is this occuring in as our wall plugs globally are not the same.
Here in Canuckistan we have 4 wires on a main supply , 1 wire is red and is hot at 110V , one wire is black and is hot at 110V , the third wire is white and is the common and then there is the bare ground wire.
That is what feeds my grow rooms off a 100 amp panel to a 50amp sub panel then to the relay boxes.
My 110V plugs are either a red/white/ground or black/white/ground
I don't understand how a device from HLG could be wired wrong but I guess it could happen. I would look at the timer itself before I started making custom extension cords to swap the hot and common pins. But if you aren't in north america I guess things might be different eh?

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
really weird problem. it was totally "normal" till you tried changing live and neutral and it didn't fixed it.. you sure you changed them, tho? that's the fix in 99% of cases, because cheap timers only break one wire, not both. hope you find a way to fix it, but it doesn't make sense to work when the live is cut, that is why i am feeling you might not have succeded in really changing them. a good solution would be to cut the light plug and replace it with a new one from the hardware store. try both ways of connecting the live and neutral if you don't get it first time.

Rastafarout

Premium user
So some background.. I had a dimmer problem - getting stuck on certain watts
Got a replacement one fitted it plugged it in noticed the low glow
a few days later when it’s off

Was bam boozLED why .. came here and thanks to everyone’s help I tried all the different suggestions, but couldn’t get my head around why it’s only now , when I’ve been using it a while

The wire swop was the easiest
but still same .
New digital timer same
Different plugs same
Different analog timers same same

Then @exploziv made me think maybe should try swop again , while I’m doing this I’m like hang on this a
DIFFERENT IDENTICAL LEAD 🫣😝 totally forgot !

Needless to say it’s working now that I got the right lead that I swopped wires plugged in

In my defence it’s was done under green light couldn’t see to well …or miles ahead of myself on the sativa

Sorry for wasting everyone’s time!
Wasn’t amped to be doing the switching manually

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
Just a little FYI for my brothers over here at ICmag. If you’re going to use a timer go out and buy a good one. Intermatic makes the best timers on the market and they’re not that expensive… there’s no discussion when the timer turns off or turns on. It’s got an electric motor that turns the clock.

Rastafarout

Premium user
Just a little FYI for my brothers over here at ICmag. If you’re going to use a timer go out and buy a good one. Intermatic makes the best timers on the market and they’re not that expensive… there’s no discussion when the timer turns off or turns on. It’s got an electric motor that turns the clock.
Will look into that brand .. timers are vitally essential for that “clockwork” timing the plants love

Reactions: Boo

Rastafarout

Premium user
@exploziv so just to make sure 🙄.. is the lead still safe switched ?
Edit. Yeah okay it must be I know you wouldn’t have suggested it then .
all good

Last edited:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
It's safe and you shouldn't worry. In EU the plug is reversible by design, and all modern stuff is designed to work that way, as most appliance producers just wire or send a diferent cord/plug based on where it is sold, anyway.

In the case of led lights they don't go full off because they cut some corners when designing them. Just like the timer guys saved a few cents by not cutting power to both wires. Two small mistakes that together work to create an inconvenience in this case.