What's new

LED and BUD QUALITY

Prawn Connery

Licence To Krill
Vendor
Veteran
The push-rod is then moving instantaneously.

I might be on the wrong project here, but I don't think the idea is that anything moved from one place to another. It was like we turned the milk sour in one bottle, and all the other bottles went sour at the same time. We effected milk everywhere, by acting upon it at one point. As if milk were all one. That was where my mind settled upon the problem. That it was all one, but we can't see it in such a large frame, so look at it as small blocks/particles we feel comfortable with. With this wider view, it seems possible that changing the balance locally, causes a shift everywhere. Like, giving one part of it an extra ion, made the rest take on one, but from locally to themselves. On a weaker level, we can add an ion to a thing, and call the whole thing ionised. Yet it can't all be at once. It just all knows there is an extra ion floating about, so any part of it becomes happier to give one up. We effect just one atom, yet they all feel it.
Somewhere in there, I feel, is a change in attitude, without a change in state. Or a change in state, to remain homologous. But without spreading anything out from the point of interaction.
This fits what I have seen, and doesn't need matter moving faster than light. Though knowledge seems to of done so, if we look at things through our little particle glasses. Instead of the big screen.

It's all just talk, but we do have that observation, and would like a story that doesn't break the rules.
Well if you subscribe to quantum entanglement, then there is a physical link between the two particles – or at least there appears to be. Hence the term "entanglement".

There's also the question of Schrodinger's Cat and particles being in two states at once until observed. My problem with Schrodinger's analogy is that the cat knows if it is alive or dead (or does it?), so why do we need an observer to put it in one state (dead) or another (alive)?

Surely particles also "know" which state they are in? Can they not "observe" themselves?

If we talk about an instantaneous change of state, or being in two places at once, does a photon not already experience this?

Think about it: a photon travels at the speed of light – it experiences no time. It comes in and out of existence (from the photon's perspective) at exactly the same time. It is both "alive" and "dead" at the same time. We can physically track its path across the universe over billions of years, but to the photon it travels from one side of the universe to the other in an instant.

The photon is everywhere and nowhere all at once. And yet – apparently – if left unchecked, the life of a photon is even longer than the life of the universe that created it!

A single photon could, theoretically (from its own perspective), witness the birth and death of a 100-trillion-year-old universe in less than the blink of an eye.

So depending on your perspective, then I guess distance doesn't mean anything when you don't experience time.

Prawn Connery

Licence To Krill
Vendor
Veteran
Going off on another tangent . . . if the universe is expanding equally in all directions (as is believed), then that means there must be a singularity at the very centre of the universe that does not move. This would be the opposite of the photon's experience: the singularity would experience time but no space, because – relative to everything else in the universe – it doesn't move through spacetime. It's position is constant. It's position may change in relation to what's outside the universe – the universe itself could be floating in faster-than-light ether – but as far as the laws of physics in our universe are concerned, there must be a point around which everything else expands, but that point remains stagnant.

Time without space. Space without time.

Ca++

I need to look at this 'no time' a bit more, to engage in this properly. While maths suggests it, I'm not convinced that light speed is without time. Speed itself seems to need a time constraint, or speed can't have one. This seems to be your reasoning, that the photon is already there. Following the maths of no time, so no speed is required. It's become infinite. All, and yet nothing. It's seems a bit to theoretical. Plus we know it's on the move. It takes a meaningful amount of time to travel just our globe.

There are so many more answers to come. I just hope first contact isn't with a race that's battered it's planet more than we have by then. We keep sending out open invitations to our party, but have no idea who will turn up. It's not generally a good idea.

Rocket Soul

Well if you subscribe to quantum entanglement, then there is a physical link between the two particles – or at least there appears to be. Hence the term "entanglement".

There's also the question of Schrodinger's Cat and particles being in two states at once until observed. My problem with Schrodinger's analogy is that the cat knows if it is alive or dead (or does it?), so why do we need an observer to put it in one state (dead) or another (alive)?

Surely particles also "know" which state they are in? Can they not "observe" themselves?

If we talk about an instantaneous change of state, or being in two places at once, does a photon not already experience this?

Think about it: a photon travels at the speed of light – it experiences no time. It comes in and out of existence (from the photon's perspective) at exactly the same time. It is both "alive" and "dead" at the same time. We can physically track its path across the universe over billions of years, but to the photon it travels from one side of the universe to the other in an instant.

The photon is everywhere and nowhere all at once. And yet – apparently – if left unchecked, the life of a photon is even longer than the life of the universe that created it!

A single photon could, theoretically (from its own perspective), witness the birth and death of a 100-trillion-year-old universe in less than the blink of an eye.

So depending on your perspective, then I guess distance doesn't mean anything when you don't experience time.
Icmag ate my longer answer so ill just dropp a short line: look into penrose-hammerof theory of quantum consciousness for more info on that bloody cat that keeps on getting stuck in a box. It even adress the issue of molecules "being aware" (not photons though). My juciest rabbithole of this year.

CharlesU Farley

Going off on another tangent . . . if the universe is expanding equally in all directions (as is believed), then that means there must be a singularity at the very centre of the universe that does not move. This would be the opposite of the photon's experience: the singularity would experience time but no space, because – relative to everything else in the universe – it doesn't move through spacetime. It's position is constant. It's position may change in relation to what's outside the universe – the universe itself could be floating in faster-than-light ether – but as far as the laws of physics in our universe are concerned, there must be a point around which everything else expands, but that point remains stagnant.

Time without space. Space without time.
Did someone say singularity? ;)

1000011348.jpg

Prawn Connery

Licence To Krill
Vendor
Veteran
I need to look at this 'no time' a bit more, to engage in this properly. While maths suggests it, I'm not convinced that light speed is without time. Speed itself seems to need a time constraint, or speed can't have one. This seems to be your reasoning, that the photon is already there. Following the maths of no time, so no speed is required. It's become infinite. All, and yet nothing. It's seems a bit to theoretical. Plus we know it's on the move. It takes a meaningful amount of time to travel just our globe.
I'm guessing it has to be that way to fit Special Relativity. The only way you can stay the same speed ahead of any moving object that is continually dilating time as it accelerates is to be "timeless", so to speak.

There are so many more answers to come. I just hope first contact isn't with a race that's battered it's planet more than we have by then. We keep sending out open invitations to our party, but have no idea who will turn up. It's not generally a good idea.
I suspect any civilisation capable of inter-stellar travel would be so far advanced, it would be like watching an ant colony. We would literally be insects to them.

Besides, any civilisation that advanced would likely be able to hide from detection and might even be observing us right now.

I have no doubt there is life outside our own planet, but it's just a matter of whether other intelligent lifeforms have evolved along a similar timeline to ourselves to interact. They would have to be advanced enough to be able to reach us, but not so advanced that we are sio insignificant to them that they would show no interest in interacting with us.

Ca++

I'm guessing it has to be that way to fit Special Relativity. The only way you can stay the same speed ahead of any moving object that is continually dilating time as it accelerates is to be "timeless", so to speak.

I suspect any civilisation capable of inter-stellar travel would be so far advanced, it would be like watching an ant colony. We would literally be insects to them.

Besides, any civilisation that advanced would likely be able to hide from detection and might even be observing us right now.

I have no doubt there is life outside our own planet, but it's just a matter of whether other intelligent lifeforms have evolved along a similar timeline to ourselves to interact. They would have to be advanced enough to be able to reach us, but not so advanced that we are sio insignificant to them that they would show no interest in interacting with us.
Yes, another 100 years of correctness, and we won't be able to have zoo's either.

They may still want to nurture us though. Take us from our homes. Make us live in boxes. Teach us tricks, and sell tickets to see us. All with the best vets on call.

I Care

Time doesn’t exist in the center because the center is forever. This is where time stops and there’s no quantifying. Because the center is forever and there is nothing there. Just swirling around the middle of nothing.

I Care

I delivered an ounce of cannabis to a friend many years ago. He was telling me that human life forms are destroying planets all over the universe and when a planet vanishes our souls go to the next nearest planet. So there’s a bunch of souls on earth that are from other planets that have vanished. I’m still open minded to the idea of reincarnation, although, I’m more of a Christian than a philosopher.

Prawn Connery

Licence To Krill
Vendor
Veteran
I delivered an ounce of cannabis to a friend many years ago. He was telling me that human life forms are destroying planets all over the universe and when a planet vanishes our souls go to the next nearest planet. So there’s a bunch of souls on earth that are from other planets that have vanished. I’m still open minded to the idea of reincarnation, although, I’m more of a Christian than a philosopher.
Reincarnation is real. Every atom in our body is recycled into something else. I often wonder if atoms or even sub-atomic particles have "memory", and that our collective experience is all part of the same entity.

I'm not religious, but I've always been partial to Buddhism for two reasons: my philosophy aligns with much of their theology; and Buddhists tend to leave people the fock alone.

Last edited by a moderator:

420empire

Veteran
Reincarnation is real. Every atom in our body is recycled into something else. I often wonder if atoms or even sub-atomic particles have "memory", and that our collective experience is all part of the same entity.

I'm not religious, but I've always been partial to Buddhism for two reasons: my philosophy aligns with much of their theology; and Buddhists tend to leave people the fock alone
True, and really a beautiful idea.
I have for a few years settled more on daoism.
The Formless Way
We look at it, and do not see it; it is invisible.
We listen to it, and do not hear it; it is inaudible.
We touch it, and do not feel it; it is intangible.
These three elude our inquiries, and hence merge into one.

Not by its rising, is it bright,
nor by its sinking, is it dark.
Infinite and eternal, it cannot be defined.
It returns to nothingness.
This is the form of the formless, being in non-being.
It is nebulous and elusive.

Meet it, and you do not see its beginning.
Follow it, and you do not see its end.
Stay with the ancient Way
in order to master what is present.
Knowing the primeval beginning is the essence of the Way ☯️

CharlesU Farley

Yes, another 100 years of correctness, and we won't be able to have zoo's either.

They may still want to nurture us though. Take us from our homes. Make us live in boxes. Teach us tricks, and sell tickets to see us. All with the best vets on call.
I believe that was an episode of The Twilight Zone?? ;)

CharlesU Farley

Just given the vastness of the universe, until some entity can figure out how to get _matter_ moving _faster_ than the speed of light, without destroying it, I don't see how there's going to be much interaction between the different species of the Universe.

It's not a time thing, it's a _distance_ thing. We're too far away from each other to communicate, even if we could figure out how to do it at the speed of light.

Rocket Soul

Just given the vastness of the universe, until some entity can figure out how to get _matter_ moving _faster_ than the speed of light, without destroying it, I don't see how there's going to be much interaction between the different species of the Universe.

It's not a time thing, it's a _distance_ thing. We're too far away from each other to communicate, even if we could figure out how to do it at the speed of light.
This assumes that aliens are stuck on a planet somewhere, they may very well be nomadic and living on their space ships. Infact this would be the most logic conclusion to any civilization that can travel close to light speed.

CharlesU Farley

This assumes that aliens are stuck on a planet somewhere, they may very well be nomadic and living on their space ships. Infact this would be the most logic conclusion to any civilization that can travel close to light speed.
I believe it's still a distance thing, regardless of where their current state of being is.

When you are restricted to measuring distance at no faster than the speed of light, and it still takes literally thousands of _years_ (our concept, I know) for a particle to get from point A to point B, it's just hard for me to conceptualize there being any type of actual, real time interaction/communication at all.

I'm not a believer in wormholes, obviously. 😱

hillbil

Why wouldn’t a culture advanced enough to travel here send “unmanned” Exploration Vehicles or devices?
Thousands of robotic explorers to various planets across the Universe seems more likely than aliens themselves.

Latest posts

Latest posts