What's new

Klutter's Cure Journal

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Klutter - When burping your jars, did you just take off the lid and let them sit for 15 minutes? Also, how long did you flush the plants for before harvest?

Merman

Klutter - can you give us some observations on color changes? I follow the Jar #3 timing for the most part..... I can't seem to maintain the green coloration, buds end up browning after two months or so....

G

Hey everyone! Glad the thread is helping others as much as it is me... I think once completed, I'll have 'my' cure method nailed down.

Bounty - I flushed the Blue Mystic for approx 8 days before she got pythrium-stem and had to be ripped out. The chronic was flushed for 12 days prior to chopping (she had quite a bit of nutes in reserve and took a tad longer to get her 'cleaned out'). Since both were grown in DWC, the flush was much simpler than in soil. For burping, I take off the lids and just set the jars down. Some people shake them around, others move them, others just leave them - per the majority of threads I research I opted to go with what 'most' do and not touch them. Just open the lid, take a deep smell for detecting changes in the bud and leave open for 15mins - once the timer dings, back in the file cabinet they go!

Merman - One thing I'd be curious about was if your jars are getting light exposure. I know that I have seen buds turn brown when water-cured, but do not have any at this time that are 'turning'. I'll ensure I do a good physical exam of em as I continue to let them cure past the 60 day point. But so far, even with the jars which I probably didnt cure right, none of them have turned brown. You aren't allowing your jars to be exposed to light are you? Best educated guess.

Ok so we are now 11 days into the new chronic cure.... and here's the update

First, I must preface again by saying this was the BEST yield I've gotten since I started growing. It was one where when chopping her down, ya just have to smile cause ya know ya 'did it, and did it right'.... I say this because there is a SIGNIFICANT difference in texture and aroma on these. Buds are dank/dense and already burn very differently compared to the blue mystic. Some may be strain related but most I suspect is due to me improving my grow.

I have also changed the cure test a tad, mainly based on my observations of the first test and what worked, what didn't. It was and still is very obvious that never burping is not the way to go, as well as burping for longer then 2 weeks. So I'm going to eliminate those two right & left wing tests. Those were the extremes and helped me identify the 'sweet' spot, which is 7-14 days of burping for 15mins each.

So here's the line-up... Each jar contains approx 23g of bud, leaving plenty of air room for a proper cure.

Test #1: Leave branch hanging
This one is doing surprisingly well. The buds have not yet 'turned to dust' and feel like they are still in good shape. One thing I did notice is the aroma is almost nill - I half expected the closet to reek but it didnt. A very very light smell of bud but nothing close to what I'm getting when I open up the jars. I'm going to wait to sample this bud until it's hung for the full 30 days.... may prove to be a viable option for someone with the room to leave em hanging.

Test #2: Placing in container with paper bags - 8-23-07
I allowed the buds to sit on the paper bags until 8/24/07. Yes, only a single day. The reasoning was the look and feel of the buds in there - they were dry on the outside but still had some 'spongey' feel to them, telling me they had moisture inside the bud. 1 day in the paper and the outside began to feel less crunchy. It was obvious that moisture had moved from the inside to the outside of the bud and it was time to jar them up.

Honestly - I believe this step with paper bags can be skipped. Learning from other threads and my own observations, the moisture level can be controlled just as easily in the jar and this is somewhat of an unnecessary step... why do I think this? From the next test!

Test #3: Jar immediately, skipping paper bag step - 8-23-07
These buds were jar'ed on 8/23, same day the other buds were placed in the paper bags. Result - these buds are identical in texture and aroma to those that were placed in the paper bags. The paper bags slowed down the drying and so did the jar, thus achieving the identical result.

So at this point I believe I've covered quite a few varieties of drying techniques. These steps are where I think most of us fail, as there are a lot of variables which change rapidly such as moisture content, etc...and unless the person drying knows what to look for it can be a crapshoot.

Without including the hanging branch, I believe I am already forming a drying 'pattern'.

• Trim up plants leaving as many branches connected as possible.
  • Leave branches hanging for 6-7 days - no if's and's or but's. If you think they're dry, give them another day. Do NOT go by the feel of the bud, as this is misleading and probably causes the most issues. The bud will always feel crunchy, as the moisture is inside and not where our fingers can 'feel it'. Like another member said, "If you can roll it in a joint, and that joint stays lit, it's done hanging". This method is the best way to determine overall dryness and is a great indicator that it's time to move to the next step. Another method I found was not as fun: If you pull off a small bud and stamp on it it should not turn to dust but should also crunch quite a bit. If it's like stepping on a mop, your bud is not dry enough. If it crunches A LOT but compacts to a dense, mushy bud you're right on!
  • Hanging: My temp range was 75-80 and RH was approx 40-55%. Environment was a closet with door closed, NO fan was placed in the closet as it had plenty of air exhange abilities with the adjacent room. My experience is placing a fan in the closet speeds up the initial drying process way too much and is not required.
Some might notice I did not mention stems... I also, in my personal opinion, believe the 'stem snapping' technique leaves way too much room for error. Some stems snapped on the day I chopped her (main stem), other stems were bending when I put her in the paper bag while others were snapping. I believe this stem method is similar to 'watch the hairs and when they turn brown she's ripe'. As we all know, trich's are the true way to harvest...and from what I have gathered so far, the stem-method should be considered in the same light.

Whew! Ok so back to today... So here is the new set of test jars for the second 'stage' of the drying process.

Jar 1 - Hung and then jarred, skipped paper bags, burped for first 7 days
A somewhat typical cure process, eliminating the bagging step. At this time, this bud is identical to other jars.

Jar 2 - Hung, placed in paper bag, jarred, burped for first 7 days
A typical 'cure' process. Jar will be burped for 15mins each day for 1 week and that's it.

Jar 3 - Hung, placed in paper bag, jarred, burping "as I see fit"
I want to work a bit with burping and controlling the bud's moisture content a bit on this one. I jarred the bud and left it sealed for 2 days, then when I burped it I left the container open for 30mins. With this jar I'm going by 'feel' more than schedule - if the buds feel moist on the outside I leave the jar open longer. If they feel dry on the outside when I first open the jar, I'm closing it right back up. The goal here is to achieve what Jorge and others mention in curing threads: Slowly move the moisture from the inside of the bud to the outside...all while taking into consideration that some buds are thicker/bigger than others.

Jar 4 - Hung, placed in paper bag, jarred, burping for 14 days
This was the other 'contender' in my original test. I also believe, due to these buds being so much larger/denser than my first test, that this jar will end up doing quite well.

The above were really the only 'tests' I felt would help narrow down the proper/perfect curing method. As always if anyone has any other ideas or things they'd like to see please let me know. I'll update the journal once these hit 30 days, as the weekly progression will most likely be similar to my original test....

Last edited:

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Klutter, this is great information, extremely helpful, thanks for taking the time to try all these things and document them.

UNREGISTRD

est #2: Placing in container with paper bags - 8-23-07
I allowed the buds to sit on the paper bags until 8/24/07. Yes, only a single day. The reasoning was the look and feel of the buds in there - they were dry on the outside but still had some 'spongey' feel to them, telling me they had moisture inside the bud. 1 day in the paper and the outside began to feel less crunchy. It was obvious that moisture had moved from the inside to the outside of the bud and it was time to jar them up.

THIS IS KEY RIGHT HERE!!! Im not sure about the method going on but what u said here is KEY!! In a normal drying process where ud hang them on a hanger with stem, YEs the paper bag step can be skipped Klutter especially in your case cause your shooting for top quality!! BUT in all REALITY the paper Bag method is used to SPEED UP the drying proces so that the curing process can start!
ALSO!! Paper bag method has to be taken seriusly!! Any paper bag WILL NOT WORK!!
You need to PREP your Paper bag!! I know the paper bags in my kitchen next to the fridge seem to be fairly full of moisture cuase when i use those bags it takes days to dry...I use the paper bags that sit out in the HOT/DRY garage and OMG it drys the buds in a DAY!! the Paper has to be DrY cause its absorbing the moisture from the buds so if your BAG is already somewhat moist your not solving anything.
And IMO KLUTTER putting your buds in a paper bag right after hanging is going to cause some severe dryness id keep an eye on that if i was u!!

Last edited:

redeyeun

Hey Klutter.. You're my hero! That's alotta work and documentation, not to mention the pictures and replies.

Sticky, yes!

Sign me up... I'm subscribing.!.

G

Guest 18340

Thanks for the invite to your thread Klutter. Very informative for sure.
Im curious, what did your buds smell like when you first trimmed them? My ww will smell amazing when Im trimming them but 2 days into drying it smells like plants. :confused: They stay nice and trich'd but no longer have that grapey/pine smell to them.
Keep up the good work here, your contribution to this 'site is priceless :joint:

PS, Hey redeyeun, O'town here!

Last edited:

King Hippo

evlme2 said:
Thanks for the invite to your thread Klutter. Very informative for sure.
Im curious, what did your buds smell like when you first trimmed them? My ww will smell amazing when Im trimming them but 2 days into drying it smells like plants. :confused: They stay nice and trich'd but no longer have that grapey/pine smell to them.
Keep up the good work here, your contribution to this 'site is priceless :joint:

PS, Hey redeyeun, O'town here!

No worries. It's just the chlorophyll evaporating that's leaving that grass clipping/hay smell behind.

After about 2 weeks curing the smell starts to develop, sometimes more sometimes less. At a month you should have a smooth smoke with a nice bouquet and high that will only get better. Year old smoke is the best IMHO, but anything past 2 months is more than acceptable. Good smoke takes time, developing a palate to discern the difference takes even longer. Enjoy your harvest! :joint:

Last edited:

blackone

Veteran
I'm following this thread with big interest and will definitely be using the conclusions for my current grow - especially since I chose swt #3 hoping for a really tasty strain. Thanks a bunch for doing this experiment.
It's been a couple of years since my last grow (Nirvana AK48), so what's left of the stash has had a nice long cure. The taste is excellent - very hashy - but the flowery overtones are much less prominent. Unfortunately it doesn't burn well and never did - almost purely hard black ash, and hard to keep a joint lit unless mixed with a tiny bit of tobacco.

Last edited:

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
I like your methodical approach, informative and benificial to all, we can all learn from examining our methodology. I will chime in on the rehydrating a too dry jar with a fresh leaf, from someone's post, it works, but does not restore the taste. Next time I try it, I plan to use a small bud, and see if it works better. Bong salute for a good experiment!
H

swx2

Excellent post Klutter, thanks for taking the initiative to do these tests. :headbange

There's a nice Dutch growing video floating around, has a British narrator and a long-haired blonde Dutchman performing the grow room setup and taking care of the girls. Anyway they cut and trim the plants, hang them whole in the dark until the stems snap and then cut off the nugs into big ziplocks (200-400g). However, if you're going to cure them for a long time I imagine jars are the better container.

I have only pulled in a couple small harvests myself so far and I ****ed up the cure the second time around, so I am eager to find a good method. I agree that it is an overlooked part of the growing process. But hey, at least there aren't many people still drying it in the sun and what not. Progress!

G

Here are some of my Ice nugs jarred on June 26th. The aroma is incredible now at over 60 days. A sorta of piney/minty smell....and then the hint of skunk becomes apparent.

Obli
:sasmokin:

G

11 days Jar Cure - 9-4-07

11 days Jar Cure - 9-4-07

Thank you all for your positive comments and positive reputation! It's so good to finally be able to give back to ICMag for all the help I've gotten!

I apologize for the length of these diary entries. I realize it's a lot of reading and parsing through the data, but as you can guess there's quite a bit to cover. I'm going to change up the way I report my findings a bit, providing a quick summary with a # rating scale, so that those who are looking for key data can easily find it in this text soup. For those interested in the details of the cure - read on! :)

Ratings Key: 1-10
1 = THE SHIT. Perfect. The goal
5 = Average. Medium. Typical.
10 = Bubble hash anyone? Worst conditions. Anti-goal.

Strain: Chronic's Revenge

Test Subjects:
Hanging Branch

4 Jar's with approx 23g of bud in each

11 day Report
Branch: Chopped and hung on 8/17/07 - Left for 30 days

Quick Summary:8 Undecided if this is a good method.
Days in Jar: 0
Aroma:10 Undetectable
Texture:8 Dry with resin acting as moisture when buds compacted - on the dry side of things.
Color:1 Unchanged
Detailed Summary:
Well, I'm torn on this one. No, the buds have not yet turned to dust most likely due to the temps/RH as you can see by the digi therm. 77F 55%RH has kept this one in good standing. I would say if you are NOT drying in temps this low do not attempt this. The aroma is gone, nill, nadda, zippo!!! Even when taking a deep breath right up against the buds. Color has not changed and still matches what I have in jars. Texture is VERY brittle! I squished one of the buds and although it compacted, there was a substantial amount which crumbled and fell to the ground. I wont bash this method but must insist that it is only for those who can maintain a steady temp and humidity in the hanging zone.

Jar 1 - Hung and then jarred, skipped paper bags, burped for first 7 days
Quick Summary:5 Identical to Jar 2. Typical results for good cure.
Days in Jar: 12
Aroma:5 Fruity - Very slight hay smell detected (opened today only long enough to smell)
Texture:5 Dry outside, crunchy, yet moist and sticky. Compacting creates a sticky nug without 'saw dust' effect.
Color:1 Green with white resin. Unchanged from when jarred.
Detailed Summary:
This jar is done with burping and will remain closed until 30 days. I snuck a sniff for this report but will be leaving it out for the remainder to create a more valid test. It's obvious, as previously stated, that the paper bag drying step can/should be skipped.

Jar 2 - Hung, placed in paper bag, jarred, burped for first 7 days
Quick Summary:5 Identical to Jar 1
Days in Jar: 11
Aroma:5 Fruity - Very slight hay smell detected (opened today only long enough to smell)
Texture:5 Dry outside, crunchy, yet moist and sticky. Compacting creates a sticky nug without 'saw dust' effect.
Detailed Summary:
Identical to jar 1 in pretty much all areas. Only variable was the paper bag step and this could have been skipped. So far this is 'typical' for what I would expect. Jar will remain closed until 30 days and no additional updates will be noted until then.

Jar 3 - Hung, placed in paper bag, jarred, burping "as I see fit"
Quick Summary:4 Undecided if this is a good method.
Aroma:1 Fruity. Strongest aroma out of all test subjects. NO HAY SMELL DETECTED!
Texture:5 Dry outside, crunchy, yet moist and sticky. Ideal texture.
Detailed Summary:
Ahhh, my pet project. Gotta say all, this is my favorite and I can't wait to smoke her up. I have documented when it was burped and based on the pattern there was burping every other day for 15mins, and that stopped at 8 days, with a total of 4 burpings. My criteria for when to burp was based solely on feel of the buds, if they felt dry on the outside I didnt burp and if moist I did. Please note: when comparing moist/dry conditions I was comparing them to buds in other jars. If you only had 1 jar and tried to do this it might be tough as you wouldnt have anything else to compare the moisture level to. In other words, they would always 'feel' dry. This appears to be the ideal method (so far) for someone who HAD EXPERIENCE curing in jars and could differentiate the minute differences in moisture level.

Jar 4 - Hung, placed in paper bag, jarred, burping for 14 days
Quick Summary:6 Undecided if this is a good method.
Aroma:6 Slight aroma of fruit. Hay smell is notpresent but overall aroma is noticeably weaker than Jar 3
Texture:6 Very Dry with resin acting as moisture when buds compacted. However, outside seems so crunchy that when squishing a bud some of it is lost due to sawdust affect, turning to dust and falling. Believe this may be too much burping even at 11 days.
Detailed Summary:
Once again, 14 days of burping seems to be overkill. Aroma is significantly reduced and there is a noticeable dryer texture to these. Best word I can use to describe these is FRAGILE. Even carefully setting a bud or two on my desk, when picked up, produces 'shake' from the outside being so dry and crispy. Might only be 'ideal' if original drying time was too short and buds were placed in jars 'wet'.

Last edited:
G

Now that the update is outta the way I wanted to note a few things separately that I've noticed:

Black ash does NOT necessarily mean you did an improper flush!!!! I read this in many threads when starting and always assumed that I was failing to flush properly, and thus was ending up with black ash. NOT true from my recent experiences.
Black ash can also mean YOUR BUD IS NOT DRY. I have noticed while smoking some of my previous cure (Blue Mystic) that some of the buds are now suddenly leaving a white ash when smoking. Why? The INSIDE of the bud is finally dry!

I was able to test this using the Chronic's revenge, as I had more than just 4 jars after chopping her. I smoked a bud from one of the jars that was opened 7 times over 7 days, then smoked another bud from a jar that was left open. Yes, I didnt document this test but wanted to see if just leaving the jar open would make a huge difference compared to burping each day for 30 days....It did, and the bud was dry as dust...however, it smoked white!

Conclusion: If your ash is black, it is NOT 100% indicator that a flush was not used. It IS an indicator that the bud you're smoking is probably not dried all the way.

evlme2 - I have added some ratings so that you can quickly compare what you're seeing/smelling with mine. As previously stated that plant smell you're experiencing is the leaf matter decomposing and releasing its stored up nutrients... Nothing to be too concerned about from what I'm seeing.

Lastly, there was a suggestion by Blynx for a new test, and one I'm going to run after this one as it really peaked my interest.
Test - Upon finding 'the' way to cure properly I will move from testing the cure to testing when a plant is chopped. I will use 4 clones (to remove variables) and will chop them at different stages of ripeness. I'll post pics of each plant's trichs, days flowered, days listed by breeder for ripeness and then when I chop her. This will show how the different stages of ripeness affect the overall drying and curing process. I'm excited about this one as I suspect some of my own personal drying/curing issues have been caused by chopping plants too early in the past. You know us, not big on patience when staring at a almost-ready lady... :) So this is next on the agenda but wont be for a few months as I only need to grow enough for me, thus giving me a few months of 'a break' to enjoy the smoke outside instead of in the grow room :)

Last edited:

High Jinks

There is much to be said about not only the relationship between the bud and the curing container's volume ratio, humidity, and availability to fresh oxygen; but to a particular strains characteristics, and the relative internal moisture when cut. I think a paramount issue for cure is how much water the plant has had access to before chop. Not only should there be a efficient flush, but a gradual decline in water, resulting in a product thats weight is more matter/resin than water. Also, ive been thinking that bud density, internal bud surface area, and even a particular strain's cellular structure can be predisposed to a quicker breakdown of gases. When harvested, the plant begins chemical and gaseous exchanges, right? I would be interested in finding out the relationship between internal moisture level, and chemical breakdown, in relation to dramatically different strains. If you could have a long flowering sativa finish on the same aprox day a 60 day indica was done, and chop and cure in identical situations; i think you'd find the necessary cure steps very tremendously, and thus that there isnt a specific formula. But hey, i'm stoned. With that said, i think you have a better understanding then many about what this strain needs to achieve that 'old school' touch and taste. :bandit:

swx2

Klutter said:
Black ash can also mean YOUR BUD IS NOT DRY. I have noticed while smoking some of my previous cure (Blue Mystic) that some of the buds are now suddenly leaving a white ash when smoking. Why? The INSIDE of the bud is finally dry!

But why does that affect the colour? Here's my armchair theory: chemicals that evaporate with the water have a bunch of black carbon in them. Chlorophyll, for example, has a bunch of carbon in it.

R

Relik

Chlorophyll contains carbon, but also Mg and N! If I remember correctly, the only difference between classical chlorophyll and hemoglobin is the chelated atom: Mg in the case of chlorophyll, Fe in the case of hemoglobin. This is why blood meal is considered a Nitrogen source...

I don't know the exact chemical process of chlorophyll breakdown, but I don't think it evaporates? I'd be more tempted to think it reacts with other compounds present in the plant material, resulting in new volatile compounds, but hey I'm theorizing :D

Peace

G

swx2 said:
But why does that affect the colour? Here's my armchair theory: chemicals that evaporate with the water have a bunch of black carbon in them. Chlorophyll, for example, has a bunch of carbon in it.

Hey Swx2,

My theory, as most of us stoners have, just kinda hit me while smokin a bowl... if I took 1 leaf off a plant, nice and green without any nute def signs... and I dried it. Then I took off another leaf, just as green, and lit both of them on fire... I would expect the fresh leaf to burn black, and the dried leaf to burn white. I mean what is charcoal but half-ass burnt wood, and that is all carbon and burns white ash.

Then I took another hit.... and decided I just had to share the revelation. Be it right or wrong, I haven't a clue, but it would go along with what I saw with my Blue Mystic suddenly burning white.

blackone

Veteran
Yeah, I also think that white ash is just a sign of a more complete combustion. Moisture content would have a lot to do with that.

Latest posts

Latest posts