What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Indian Swamp Gungi Grow Method - From OG

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Having read Lewgrew's thread on that (mythical ?) suburban 'erb plantation, I can definitely relate to Oldsterone's abiding desire to avoid any pokey time by never growing any more than one person needs for personal consumption.

I'll forever puzzle over how Lougrew pulled off that monster grow, if he actually did as claimed, but my guess is that he has some sort of a legit permit, and so can afford to be blase. Anyone who does ever try to duplicate the sheer scale of Lougrew's commercial grow project in suburban anytown USA will for sure face the wrath of the whirly-bird sooner or later.

Rare Groove

Yea, it sounds like a backpack or tank sprayer might be your answer, Lou. If you want to get really serious you could even invest in a small gasoline engine driven sprayer made for chemical applications. Whether that huge grow was legit or not, props for pulling it off! A grow like that would be quite a feat to accomplish anywhere in the world, and I know it has inspired me to 'kick things up a notch.' Thanks for stopping by and good luck to all. Keep 'em dank :joint:

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
lol. I don't think they have medical permits for about a thousand skunk plants in your backyard in florida.

but the idea is simple. they don't really do CAMP patrols in cities for obvious reasons. and people grow all sorts of exotic plants in their backyards anyway.

30 years of doing it is a lil crazy but its probably easier than you think to get away with that. its just having the determination to try it, and the balls to deal with it if it fails.

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
A backpack sprayer will do I think, I use to sell them and you can get a small plot of bushes done in not to long with one, they come in a lot of sizes so you can go big if you want, I think you can get away with a back pack sprayer if its a big gallon size, might possibly take you a few fillings but meh you can do it.

reaperz

you would need some way of keeping the plants the right side up as they can get blown over, or waves can push it over???

swamp growers,
I just got back from an initial prep of my spot. Its a bog. Bog grasses mixed with sploches of standing water ~ 2 inches deep. I have black nursery pots that are 5 gallons. Here is my problem: My plants will get huge...thus I need to dig my pots in about half way so they will have the support the need not to fall over in the fall. However, the further I did the more afraid of the water just overwhelming the plants. Its very wet. I dont think the PVC pipe idea will give very much room of the roots of a 8 footer.

Captain skunk spoke of 55 gallon drums cut in half. What other large containers could I use to keep the plants out of the water. And where could I get about 40 of the things or 55 gallon drums in a non sketch manner? 40 if you are cutting em in half that is ;) Dam camoflaging a 55 gallon drum cut in half will be a biotch. Suggestions? the spot is secure, just have to hide from the eyes in the sky. spray painting brown of course.

Much apprecitated!

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Bushmaster anything that needs support in a swamp can be kept standing straight by driving 3 long stakes as deep as they will go into the mud, around the outside edge of your container, and then tying the stakes securely to the planter. No matter how soft the footing, a planter supported this way will remain vertical as you left it, regardless of how big and top-heavy the plant gets.

PVC pipes are available in diameters that range up to that of the 55 gallon drums you are considering, but the PVC pipes are probably more suitable for your project because you can cut them as tall as you like to make sure that seasonal floods don't drown the plant roots. Of course the taller you make the planters the more earth/filler wick material you will have to lug in.

Thanks for the reply. I will look into the PVC idea further, I briefly checked at home depot today, but I did not see PVC in such massive diameters. Where should I look for PVC in such diameter?

Thank you!

Some of last years crop.... just for fun and eye candy!

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Haven't been stateside for a while, Bushmaster, so I can only guess that larger daimeter PVC pipes would be available where plumbing or landscaping materials are sold. In Southern California, landscapers often bury lines of large-daimeter preforated PVC pipes under a gravel layer to improve flood drainage for residential gardens and lawns.

Failing that, those 55 gallon plastic drums cut in half would probably work fine, so long as you remember to securely tie the planter to those 3 poles driven deep enough to hit solid ground beneath the mud.

Ps Nice monster plant in that pic. Can just about smell it from here.

Last edited:
Wow, I was already planning on using 5 gallon buckets filled with dirt that had the bottomsslightly cut this year. I was going to set them all in the mud and tend them just like normal plants. I REALLY want to do the pvc idea. It seems like it will really work. The only problem is I have to cut 40 lengths for I want 20 females in the end and i have no way to sex plants early. So i was just going to go from seed. I will definitely start a swamp grow thread for you guys. I want some 12 ft monsters! lol

scrappy2

Im glade this thread is seeing some action. As I want to give this a try this season! Not want am going to. At present my dilema is only the actual mix, as I want to do some peat tubes and some coir tubes. I want to have blood meal,bone meal,worm casting's and green sand in them. Im going to take my mixes and have them tested at the AG extension office. So I know exactly what they are PH and nutrient wise. I also plan to foliar feed with kelp meal for the trace elements.
Any Bro's have pic's in the tubes in the swamp? Would be nice to see! I'm likeing the looks of the Black drainage tiles/ tubes. You can purchase at farm supply type store's. Want to go big...atleast 30 gallons or so per. As I will put several plants per. And I will beable to match the camo to the habitat, if necessary even tie on surrounding vegetation. I have some good High yielding mold resistant strains picked out for these. So now just need some input on the mixes!

And I have NO gallery at present but this fall will have a monster!!!!

Last edited:
Scrappy,
Can you expand on the containers you are using. What name should I search for on google and how pricey are these things if I need 70 of them?

scrappy2

Ill fill you in more some time this week I will have found out. But for 70 it may work better to use Breeder Brads tubes! It would be 24 inch field drain hose or tile? Im not sure. What kind of mix are you thinking bushmaster113?

At this point I am just using miracle grow. Lugging 40 giant bags through brambles and swamp sucks ass. Cant wait till its completed.

Ill probably do a mix of PVC tubes and use the pots i have in the 'drier' spots.

Let me know what you end up deciding on though scrappy. But I am getting everything in in the next week, so if you have anything revolutionary let me know ;)

scrappy2

Sounds feasable however a 5 gallon bucket will restrict the veg potential of a plant. Something a bit bigger.....Id think.

Rare Groove

Hey everyone, glad to see some action in this thread and so many interested in swamp growing!

I'm definitely going to be running some PVC pipes this year. I plan to start scouting areas as soon as my broken foot heals. What strains do you all have in mind for your swamp grows? I'm planning to start some HTC Jamaican Jams as well as a few of Grat3fulH3ad's Sugarees. Got some Strawberry Diesels vegging now, so hopefully a few of those ladies will make it out too.

Awesome idea with the stakes, Swamp Thang. Definitely looking forward to hearing more advice and plans from you all.

Scrappy, The original method calls for tubes that are 10 in. in diameter, that simply have dirt and fish in them. Im thinking, turn up a little bit of swamp muck, pour in some dolomolite lime. Set the bucket down in a few inches just so its real stable. Fill that sucker with good potting mix maybe some fish or guano etc down at the bottom. As soon as the tap root hits the mud i think the plant will take off. If im not mistaken as long as the roots are gettin oxygen in the bucket, then the rest of the roots, can grow into the mud and soak up years up composting muck nutrients and have a constant source of water. Someone please correct me if im wrong. This is my plan. Oh yea and Plenty of Sunshine!

scrappy2

ODG sounds like a plan.....let me know how it turns out ...hopefully with photo's of growth stages. The tile's I mentioned are drain tiles. And can be purchased from 4 inches to 4 foot or bigger. I like these and will try them. Figure to camo them right in.

Do u mean, the black stuff used for drainage? Ill bet that would yield some SERIOUS bud. Oh man, the only problem is soil, especially if you have to pack it in. I know my soil is gonna be half potting, some lime, and whatever kinda soil is already there. I will definitely keep you updated on it Scrappy2. In fact today i made a greenhouse out in the woods, so i could get a super early start, so i could sex and clone before it gets too warm. Ill take some pics in a few days.

Latest posts

Latest posts