What's new

In-Depth SCROG Method by BigFatJ

guineapig

Veteran
Yes CO2 does sink, but as the canopy becomes denser, more and more CO2 molecules
remain in the canopy.....also, small oscillating fans pointing upward through the
canopy will improve the CO2 absorption efficiency.....

This method is more of a "micro-injection" technique which delivers more molecules
directly to the stomata rather than the "room-injection" philosophy in which you must
calculate the square feet of your room (or cabinet) and then adjust your CO2 flow
rate accordingly.....buds will literally envelop the tubes and it is indeed a sight to see!!

When i did my initial CO2 training experiments, i found that the flowers really started
to fatten when i added a 150 watt HPS with a square-cube-like reflector....you know,
those old-school industrial HPS security light thingys? Well let me tell ya it worked
awesome and thus began my experiments with "Cola Spotlighting" in which sharply
focused light is shined upon the major bud sites......Using a combination of "Cola
Spotlighting" and "CO2 training", i achieved a cola of 1.5 ounces (42 grams) on a
Chitral plant!!! :woohoo: impressive indeed for a beginner!!!

CO2 is absolutely awesome for the flowering period......some of the older grow books
(ed rosenthal) say that you should turn off your CO2 during your last 2 weeks of
flowering- i'm not sure why- maybe it encourages more leaf matter rather than floral
weight during the last 2 weeks of flowering......so maybe this is why some people
think that CO2 is not good for flowering, they are just remembering this old passage
from Ed's book......i'll try to get more current information about this for us....

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

pray4pistils said:
This site and you guys continue to amaze me. The one person who knows what I'm up to is convinced that that I'm a natural born farmer and that I have some sort of mystical connection with the plants. What he can't figure out, though, is how I "invent" my technology out of seemingly nowhere. That magic is all the good advice that I get from y'all.

THANKS,

P.S. Are there any particular strains or general types of strains that are especially suited to this growing style? Again, I'm very height-limited. My space is triangular and I'm using 400W HIDs. The current plan is to go with a commercial ebb & flow rig because the height off the floor is minimal and the technique seems relatively simple for this advanced newbie.

.S. Are there any particular strains or general types of strains that are especially suited to this growing style?

--> If you are referring to the scrog growing method, my experience is that bushier plants that tend to stay short and spread vertically are the best candidates. The Mikado is ridiculously bushy and keeps short, so it adapted to scrog very well. on the other hand, ive tried pole-like NL plants and found that they just dont use up the screen area too efficiently. with these pole-like plants, i found topping to attain 2 fat colas yielded way better than scrogging them. just my experimental findings. good luck!

G

buddymag00

Your avatar nearly had me whackin my computer screen to get that damn bug when I first scrolled down, lol.

Yeah, great thread..........gunna have to dig out my scrog set-up that I built a year ago & still haven't used yet.

Bh :wave:

Uncle Charlie

Great thread. The idea of making the screen with co2 tubing sounds like a great idea. Would seem like it could conserve on co2 usage because ur not concerned with filling the entire grow area.

Also instead of actually making the screen out of it, you could use the same screen in the picks and just zip tie tubing to it.

Its been a while since this threads had any activity, I was wondering if this method has been tested by anyone?

ambr0sia

Is it possible to skip screen training during the veg stage and put the screen on only once the plants enter the flowering chamber? I ask because I'm just now realizing that my current design doesn't appear to allow for fitting two plants *with* their screens into the veg chamber, no matter how I orient it. Beyond that, I was hoping to put a more "permanent" screen in the flowering chamber, which would definitely be impossible if the plants had to be trained to the screen before they went into flower.

(note: the above design has been modified to remove the "Mom/Clone" chamber, extend down the utility room, and make the veg room taller; The full cab height is now 40" instead of 44")

One solution I've considered is to train the vegging plants to a temporary screen, which I would imagine *could* work, since (afaik) no weaving takes place in this stage - the screen is only there to encourage horizontal growth.

What's the best way to proceed here?

Thanks!

JWP

Its funny how old threads get dug up..... thats how you know they are good. this one is a small one but still good. BigFatJ was the man. shit im getting old.

for nice compact scrogs flowering clones are the best. shitloads of shoots all at the same hight :headbange

Scenario420

I know this is a very old thread but I still have a question for one of u scrog veterans out there...Is it better to fill the screen up completely before you start to flower, or should I fill it up about 50% before I start my 12/12? I want a maximum yield but I don't want to have a forest...Any help?

Grizz

Veteran
I know this is a very old thread but I still have a question for one of u scrog veterans out there...Is it better to fill the screen up completely before you start to flower, or should I fill it up about 50% before I start my 12/12? I want a maximum yield but I don't want to have a forest...Any help?
guess this depends on your head room and how much your strain stretches, i usally did mine about 60 to 75 % full screen before i flipped to 12/12,

trying vertical scroggs at the present , pvc frames 3.5 high x 3 ft wide. intended to do 4 plants around a 1000 watt hung vertical in a cool tube, but went with 8 plants x 3 ( 3 1000 with 8 plants each )

AOD2012

I have the key, now i need to find the lock..
Veteran
Oh man MAj. that thread brought back memories! That was the system i used the first time i ever grew bud. haha man, those days of being in highschool, chilling on OG all day when i should have been doing school work.

aod

Latest posts

Latest posts